New to FE4

Hubster

I'ma leave the finer points to people who have actually played the game, but here are some things to note:

-You cannot trade in this game
-Every unit has their own money stash
-The maps are big. Really really big.
-Because of the above, expect to get a lot of use out of your cavalry units
-Some really good items in this game have obscure means of obtaining them. This includes the best weapon in the game.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'ma leave the finer points to people who have actually played the game, but here are some things to note:

-You cannot trade in this game

A way to "trade" is to sell money to the pawn shop and then buy it back with another unit iirc.

Units can give money to their lover. Thieves can give money to anyone.

imho you don't need any particular tip in order to enjoy the game, it would be far more interesting to experience the game naturally, without any external influence
you get to play a game for the first time only once in your life, after all

• You can pair up people by having them stand together for several turns. Having people get married will come into play later on. There are optimal pairings but I leave that up to you if you wish to do research beforehand. 
  • Also, as Shadow Mir mentioned, the maps are huge so use the save function at the start of each turn. That way, you're not burning yourself out by trying to marathon this game. I would recommend treating each castle as a chapter honestly.
  • There's a magic triangle along with the regular weapon triangle: Fire -----> Wind-----> Thunder. Dark magic beats them all but is weak to light magic.

Good luck and have fun! 

From my experience:
you should beware of a surprisingly difficult recruitment at the near end of Chapter 1. Chapter 2 would make most players drop off the game but it's your own choice if you can take it. But overall the game is pretty easy probably you don't need a guide for it. Just their maps being so long to complete if you had no idea what's about to happen next but they're not that punishing unlike thracia.

Edited by Redeyesblackdragon

4 hours ago, Syndixel said:

There's a magic triangle along with the regular weapon triangle: Fire -----> Wind-----> Thunder. Dark magic beats them all but is weak to light magic.

That's Radiant Dawn's triangle. In FE4, Light and Dark are both strong against Anima, and neutral toward each other.

Anyway, make sure to check out the Arena from the start of chapter 1 onward. Don't worry about losing units there - unlike in later games, they won't die or lose money.

The biggest difference that separates FE4 from other FE games is resource management; every unit has their own gold only they themselves can spend (maximum per unit is 50,000G), nothing can't be traded from one unit to the other*, and units can't buy weapons that they cannot use (however, it is possible for a unit to get a weapon they can't use in their inventory if they kill a unit that drops the weapon). Every castle in a map you own has a pawnbrokery you can sell items to that your other units can then buy for themselves. All items that have durability can be repaired at an armoury (also in every castle) for a price, so don't worry about seemingly having little weapons of staves.

*There are two exceptions to this: two characters who are paired up with each other (you get a pre-determined pairing during the Prologue) can "transfer" gold to and from themselves as long as they're adjacent to one another. They transfer either all their funds to the other, or enough until the recipient's gold cap is met. The other exception is those of the Thief class, who can do this action to anyone regardless of pairings.

Follow-up attacks in this game are only guaranteed if the unit has the Pursuit skill, and the effective/true speed you need to perform follow-up attacks is 1. There are other skills that can allow follow-up attacks, but they're much less reliable to proc.

Units in this game will have a mixture of class and personal skills. It's important to note which skill is what on what unit (for example, Sigurd has Pursuit as a personal skill, but anyone in the Myrmidon class will have Pursuit as a class skill) as, well, there's a village you can visit in Chapter 5 that will allude as to why it's something to note. I won't go into any more detail than that.

Most important tip though: try to have fun. FE4 is one of my favourite FE games large in part because Jugdral is one of the best worlds that exist in a Fire Emblem game--the first half of the game is pretty special.

Edited by DodgeDusk

You might have done this already, but I recommend that you check the page about FE4 here in serenes forest: https://serenesforest.net/genealogy-of-the-holy-war/    It has a lot of useful stuff, the most useful pages for me must be "Calculations"(also beware that this game uses 1RN and not 2RN in the RGN, you might be used to it depending of the FEs you played until now), "Love growth" (and "Jealousy system"), "Iheritance", "Events" and "Secret events" (the latter both to be sure you get every conversation and item you can).

Also depending on how you like to play the games, you also might find "Recruitment", "item Locations", "Pairing Guide"(you can also find lots of pairing guides on other sites like Reddit, some Thread here in serenes,etc  but what I generally read is that its almost impossible to screw up with most pairings even if you want to, but look up if you want to find the most practical ones), and "Hits and Secrets" useful to you.

I'm going to give you the link to a site that give you some advice (with no spoilers) to the each chapter, including  what are the conversations/events and the items you can get in each of them. Is basically a very useful and simple guide you can use in the case you are in doubt or stuck (or just if you prefer playing with a guide to not lose anything). Here is the link to the page about the prologue  https://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe4/guia/ENG_cap0.htm   If you want to see the pages in the same site but about the  next chapters, just scroll down (in the link I just gave you) until the end and click in "next". I'm currently playing the game and this helps me a lot.

Edit: Other things:  lovers and siblings can get a crit chance if they are next to each other (sorry I don't remember how many spaces close to each other they have to stand), you should always leave someone behind defending your castle because the enemy can seize it and if they seize your main castle its game over, you should pay attention to who kills enemies with droppable weapons because whoever kills the enemy is going to keep his weapon (and if you don't want a unit to keep a weapon they got from a drop you will have to sell it at the pawn shop and buy it back with someone else), never forget to read your units' and foes' skills and holy blood, You will always be able to deploy all of your units in every chapter so tou might want to train everyone a little so they won't die in case they are attacked by the enemy (unless you don't care if they die)

Also, I recommend that you take some notes about who are the characters mentioned casually during conversations or the prologue text (They are a lot, write down their names and positions, for example (not a spoiler, this is said in the prologue text): "Kurth is Granvalle's king, he has two advisors, Lord Byron from Calphy and Lord Ring from Jungby", or "Oifrey has 14 years, trained as Sigurd squire for 2 years and is so smart that Alec thinks that he will someday be even smarter than his (oifrey's) grandpa: Lord Cesare, who is a strategist") I didn't finish the game yet but I'm pretty sure we will have to remember most of these names for later, otherwise the game wouldn't be telling us all of this. 

Write down seemingly useful stuff that are not related to characters too, for example that the story starts at the year 757, or information about the countires or terriotories. Basically everything that sounds useful and you think you won't remember, you write down (you can even write down that timeline from the opening cutscene if you want to)

Hope you enjoy the playthrough

Edited by ARMADS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few hidden items/events that will make the game considerably easier during the first five maps (names may be different in your translation):

* Chapter 0: There is a speed ring in the village near Jungby
* Chapter 1: Make sure Finn and Cuan have their conversation for bonus stats
* Chapter 1: Send Lex to the tip of the peninsula northeast of the spirit forest for a brave axe
* Chapter 2: There is a bargain ring to be had, but you really need to blitz the first enemy castle across the map. Once you do, make sure to dance the mage for added movement.
* Chapter 2: Same area should also have an armor cutter.
* Chapter 2: Save all three NPC knights if you want to give a foot unit the ability to Canto (love to use it on an archer or mage)
* Chapter 2: Send Arden to the beach peninsula west of Nodion (south of first enemy castle) for a pursuit ring
* Chapter 3: Wing clipper in one of the villages
* Chapter 3: Send Dew to the tower at the top of the map for a Wind Sword
* Chapter 3: One of the villages also provides some stat gains
* Chapter 4: Send Sylvia to one of the villages up north for a Sleep Sword
* Chapter 4: Once you have liberated the Queen, make sure to pay a visit with Levyn for the best weapon in the game

Other than that, enjoy! 🙂

7 hours ago, wertigon said:

Here are a few hidden items/events that will make the game considerably easier during the first five maps (names may be different in your translation):

* Chapter 0: There is a speed ring in the village near Jungby
* Chapter 1: Make sure Finn and Cuan have their conversation for bonus stats
* Chapter 1: Send Lex to the tip of the peninsula northeast of the spirit forest for a brave axe
* Chapter 2: There is a bargain ring to be had, but you really need to blitz the first enemy castle across the map. Once you do, make sure to dance the mage for added movement.
* Chapter 2: Same area should also have an armor cutter.
* Chapter 2: Save all three NPC knights if you want to give a foot unit the ability to Canto (love to use it on an archer or mage)
* Chapter 2: Send Arden to the beach peninsula west of Nodion (south of first enemy castle) for a pursuit ring
* Chapter 3: Wing clipper in one of the villages
* Chapter 3: Send Dew to the tower at the top of the map for a Wind Sword
* Chapter 3: One of the villages also provides some stat gains
* Chapter 4: Send Sylvia to one of the villages up north for a Sleep Sword
* Chapter 4: Once you have liberated the Queen, make sure to pay a visit with Levyn for the best weapon in the game

Other than that, enjoy! 🙂

I also read that the game might crash once you get Sylvia's sleep sword and that if it happens theres a way to take the sword again without the game crashing, but I don't remember how (I think it was an article here in Serenes Forest that said what you're supposed to do). Just so you know, so don't freak out if the game crashes once you take the sword, its normal.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:38 PM, ARMADS!!! said:

I also read that the game might crash once you get Sylvia's sleep sword and that if it happens theres a way to take the sword again without the game crashing, but I don't remember how (I think it was an article here in Serenes Forest that said what you're supposed to do). Just so you know, so don't freak out if the game crashes once you take the sword, its normal.

I believe this got resolved in the Project Naga patch? I remember it being a thing in the translation I used prior, but not in Project Naga.

On 10/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

On 10/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, DodgeDusk said:

I believe this got resolved in the Project Naga patch? I remember it being a thing in the translation I used prior, but not in Project Naga.

Its definitely fixed in the Naga patch, and the solution to preventing it in the older patches was to actually load the games save at some point (instead of loading a save state). There were a lot of old glitches based around how some thing in the game are only changed when the game loads a save, leading to this glitch, the alternate jealousy priority list in gen 2 (that let the fast Julia-Seliph pairing glitch), and of course Seliph gaining a leadership star after loading a save, and I seem to remember the Naga patch fixing all of them.

• 1 month later...

It doesn’t look like anyone mentioned this but the star in the weapon descriptions is the number kills you got with the weapon. Get your best weapons to 50 stars as soon as possible. It grants the critical hit skill.

I always prioritize Sigurd’s Silver Sword and Brave weapons. Certain spells and holy weapons too but no pressure on those.

Thieves steal money and can hit it to other units. I try to have them steal from Barbarians, Mountain Thieves, and Pirates for the extra cash.