What games would you want on an N64 Classic/Mini?

Lord_Brand

According to this game revolution article, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa is interested in continuing the hardware line started started by the NES Classic and SNES Classic.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/686377-n64-mini-release-date-2021-classic-consoles

An "N64 Mini" is rumored to be in development. If true, that could be an exciting opportunity, especially in light of Nintendo's less-than-popular price announcement for its "Online Service Expansion Pack". My question, quite simply, is: What games would you like to see on an N64 Classic/Mini?

And before we start piling on the T and M-rated titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day or Perfect Dark, we have to consider that this console would be aimed primarily at family audiences. That doesn't mean higher-rating games can't be on there, just that if they are, parental controls will be a necessity.

At any rate, here's my list:

Spoiler
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Blast Corps
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Goemon's Great Adventure
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Party (with reworked controls for stick-rotation minigames)
  • Mario Party 2
  • Mario Party 3
  • Mario Tennis
  • Mischief Makers
  • Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
  • Paper Mario
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Rayman 2: The Great Escape
  • Rocket: Robot on Wheels
  • Snowboard Kids
  • Snowboard Kids 2
  • Star Fox 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Wave Race 64
  • Yoshi's Story

Though I gotta say, an enhanced version of Smash 64 with more fighters, stages, etc. would interest me a great deal. That could serve as a stealth reboot for the franchise as a whole.

Honestly only all the games by RareWare

• Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Banjo Tooie
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • GoldenEye 64

because I have no chance to get them on virtual console. I know Diddy Kong Racing has a remaster / remake (idk exactly) for DS, but I prefer playing racing games on a bigger screen. I have Kirby 64 for Wii U because I could not play it. Otherwise if I am interested to play N64 games again, then I will get them for Wii U. No need to get another console.

Edited by Julizan

Any topic that makes me reach for my Math Manet: N64 Anthology is a good topic

Classics

Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie,  Mario 64, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, F-Zero, Blast Corps, Goldeneye 007, Ocarina of Time, Majora Mask, Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside 2 , Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ogre Battle 64, Rayman 2, Rocker:Robot on Wheels, Sin and Punisment, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Turok 1-2, Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Pilotwings 64, Mischief Makers, WWF No Mercy

Other Personal Favorites (That shouldn't make it)

Battletanx, Beetle Adventure Racing, Bust-a-move 99, Puzzle Bobble 64, Body Harvest,Bomberman 64, Excitebike 64, Gauntlent 64, Goemon Great Advenure, Jet Force Gemini, Glover, Gex 64. Gex 3, Daffy Duck Duck Rodgers, Doom 64, Lode Runner 3D, Mario Party 1-3, Chameleon Twist 2, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Donkey Kong 64, Rampage World Tour, Ridge Racer 64, Road Rash 64, Snowboard Kids, Tetrisphere, Vigilante 8 (NOT the sequel) , Wetrix, Worms Armageddon, World Driver Championship, SCARS

Honestly for me the big issue with the mini consoles is how few games are packed in on there. It's not like the production costs go up when you pack in more ROMs, and with NES and SNES games in particular you're talking about a range of 4KB to 4MB of data. Even with the cheapest harddrives on the market those game lists could have been over a 100 if they wanted. I feel like Nintendo could have shoved in every single game that they don't need to find legal clearance to get in on there. It would include a lot of sports game shovelware, but boasting an outrageous quantity of games is its own sell. Instead we only saw 30 and 20 games respectively. That is less than even the Switch's paltry offerings. I can only assume the N64 classic would have even less. 12-15 is my guess if we're aiming for the SNES Classic's price range.

I don't have any nuggets of wisdom for what games they would actually choose. If I were designing the product and my legal team assured me that Goldeneye is possible, I'd go after that as a power play. It alone would make the console a huge collectors' item for being the first legal re-release of that game. And then a year later throw it up on the Switch's Expansion Pak where you can finally play the game online. That's psychologically manipulative? Hey man, the slogan for N64 is Get N or Get Out. You're in our world now. 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

14 hours ago, Julizan said:

Honestly only all the games by RareWare

• Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Banjo Tooie
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • GoldenEye 64

because I have no chance to get them on virtual console. I know Diddy Kong Racing has a remaster / remake (idk exactly) for DS, but I prefer playing racing games on a bigger screen. I have Kirby 64 for Wii U because I could not play it. Otherwise if I am interested to play N64 games again, then I will get them for Wii U. No need to get another console.

Well technically that GoldenEye game is licensed game. I do think they might going the other Rare games on Nintendo 64 Classic Edition be likely since Banjo-Kazooie is coming to Nintendo 64 Online.

My list that I think it should be on Nintendo 64 Classic Edition to have are:

1. Super Mario 64 & Shindou Version
  2. Panel De Pon 64 (first time release outside of Nintendo Puzzle Collection similar to like Star Fox 2)
  3. Donkey Kong 64
  4. Banjo-Kazooie
  5. Mario Kart 64
  6. Star Fox 64
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  9. Sin & Punishment
  10. Mario Party 3
  11. Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
  12. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
  13. Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness
  14. Wave Race 64
  15. 1080 Snowboarding
  16. Kirby 64
  17. Super Smash Bros.
  18. Harvest Moon 64
  19. Dr. Mario 64
  20. Mega Man 64
  21. Pokemon Stadium 1
  22. Paper Mario
  23. Yoshi's Story
  24. Pokemon Puzzle League
  25. Fire Emblem 64 (first time release similar to like Star Fox 2) - But it be unlikely since it was moved to the GBA as The Binding Blade since it was confirmed from Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary Book.
  26. EarthBound 64 (first time release similar to like Star Fox 2) - But it be unlikely since that project was moved to the GBA.

Edited by King Marth 64

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
3. Super Mario 64
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Mario Tennis
6. Mario Golf
7. Mario Party
8. Mario Party 2
9. Mario Party 3
10. Paper Mario
11. Star Fox 64
12. Pokemon Snap
13. Pokemon Stadium
15. Pokemon Stadium 2
16. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
17. Donkey Kong 64
18. Diddy Kong Racing
19. Yoshi's Story
20. Dr. Mario 64
21. F-Zero X
22. Super Smash Bros.
23. Excitebike 64
24. Banjo-Kazooie
25. Banjo-Tooie
26. Sin and Punishment
27. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
28. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
29. GoldenEye 007
30. Perfect Dark
31. Quake 64
32. Wave Race 64
33. Wipeout 64

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

Super Mario 64 Shindou Version (since it's on the Super Mario 3D All-Stars Collection instead of the original SM64 verson, but I didn't bother buying it since I already have Sunshine and Galaxy + Super Mario 64 DS)

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo ever did this, but one thing that I wish for is to have these re-releases offer the ability to play different versions of the game. If they think of the Shindou version as the definitive version, then have that be what will launch if you just select to play the game, but then also let the player go into a menu and select from all the different versions of the game. If someone wants to mess around with the backwards longjump glitch or if they're nostalgic for the original voice lines, then why not let them choose the exact version they want to play? Most players probably don't care, but the cost of including it is so small that I don't see any real downside.

• 1 month later...

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 would be really interesting to see . The AKI wrestling games were really fun, and I think people would enjoy seeing a game from that publisher on there. I think it'd be hard to get licensing stuff together, but it would be nice to see those games represented in some fashion.