New Heroes and Ascended Fjorm

NSSKG151

Anyways, translation things. There are a lot this time.

The name of the banner, "New Heroes & Ascended Fjorm", is "新英雄&開花フィヨルム" (shin'eiyū & kaika Fjorm), "New Heroes & Blooming Fjorm". Yeah, it's just as lazy.

Wolf's epithet, "Coyote's Loyal", is "忠義の狼" (chūgi no ōkami), "Devoted Wolf". It's worth noting that Hardin's epithet in Japanese is "草原の狼" (sōgen no ōkami), "Wolf of the Steppe".

Keen Coyote Bow is "猛き狼の弓" (takeki ōkami no yumi), "Brave Wolf's Bow". The word for "brave" here, "猛き" (takeki), is an archaic or poetic word for "brave", but there's clearly an intentional choice to use the spelling "猛き" instead of "武き", which both have the same pronunciation and meaning. The former uses a character that typically means "ferocious", as in a wild animal or force of nature, whereas the latter uses a character that typically means "martial".

Malice's epithet, "Deft Sellsword", is "剣舞の傭兵" (kenbu no yōhei), "Sword-Dance Mercenary".

Spendy Scimitar is "安くない曲刀" (yasukunai kyokutō), "Expensive Scimitar", though it literally translates as "Not-Cheap Scimitar" rather than explicitly using a word for "expensive".

Roshea's epithet, "Coyote's Faithful", is "信義の狼" (shingi no ōkami), "Faithful Wolf".

Stout Lance is "堅固の槍" (kengo no yari), "Sturdy Lance".

Ascended Hero is "開花英雄" (kaika eiyū), "Blooming Hero".

Fjorm's epithet, "Ice Ascendant", is "花開く氷の姫" (hana-hiraku kōri no hime), "Blooming Princess of Ice".

Nifl's Bite is "絶氷ニフル" (zekkōri Nifl), "The Unparalleled Ice, Nifl". This references Nifl's weapon, 絶氷のブレス (zekkōri no breath), "Breath of Unparalleled Ice", and Nifl's exclusive skill, 絶氷結界 (zekkōri kekkai), "Domain of Unparalleled Ice".

Hardy Fighter is "盾壁隊形" (tate-kabe? taikei), "Shield-Wall Formation". I have no idea if "盾壁" is supposed to be pronounced "tate-kabe" or "junpeki", but I don't think I've ever seen 盾 pronounced as "jun" as the initial character in a compound. It's worth noting that the Fighter skills in Japanese are all named "Formation" skills, hence why their icons are designed to look like a formation of units.

Ascendant Floret is 開花のつぼみ (kaika no tsubomi), "Blooming Flower Bud".

Vyland's epithet, "Coyote's Justice", is "律義の狼" (richigi no ōkami), "Honest Wolf".

Unbound Axe is "孤絶の斧" (kozetsu no ono), "Isolation Axe".

Sedgar's epithet, Coyote's Dutiful, is "友義の狼" (yūgi no ōkami), "Responsible Wolf". The word "友義" (yūgi) here means "responsibilities as a friend".

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sedgar's epithet, which I can't find because it's not on the English Twitter or main site and I don't have access to the in-game announcements in English, is "友義の狼" (yūgi no ōkami), "Responsible Wolf". The word "友義" (yūgi) here means "responsibilities as a friend".

English notification calls him "Sedgar: Coyote's Dutiful".

I’m happy to see another Archanea banner, even if none of these characters are among the Archanean characters on my “most wanted” list. I’ll probably summon for Wolf, since I always liked him in Shadow Dragon and cavalry archers are among my favorite unit types. Depending on if I feel like saving orbs for an upcoming Awakening banner, I may summon for Malice. I like her design/concept of her character and she seems like an interesting character from what I’ve read. It’s such a shame New Mystery was never released outside of Japan…*sad sigh*

And I’ll join in the chorus of “Why is Coyote/Hardin absent from a banner featuring his guards?”

3 hours ago, Othin said:

I also like how the base game got a male:female ratio of 4:1. Has that ever happened before? It's what they'll need to really dig further into rosters like this.

One banner was Duo Ephraim/Lyon, Gerik, Ewan, Tethys, and Ross as a free unit. 5:1 ratio. Absolutely insane.

12 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

One banner was Duo Ephraim/Lyon, Gerik, Ewan, Tethys, and Ross as a free unit. 5:1 ratio. Absolutely insane.

Oh wow, yeah. Lyon depends on if you count duo secondaries, but either way, there's also Cormag as the GHB.

I think I'll only free pool for Fjorm (or just summon all the green spheres in my free summon section), unless we have forging bonds (then I'm going to use my free summon tickets too, all for Fjorm), but not more than that. I mean, she's great but I don't really care about the rest of the units of the banner, they're pretty average. Its kinda disapointing, at least Muspell's banner had other great units so even if I didn't managed to summon him at least I got almost everyone else and my time and orbs were worth the effort.

I don't get why people say that they rather have champion Fjorm, Nifl and Muspell as regular units instead of mythics (except for the "OCs stealing other characters' place as mythic"). I think it would be better if they were all mythics, like the chance of summoning one of them would be way higher (and usually in Mythic/Legendary events you always get something good, even if it wasnt exactly what you're looking for) 

3 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

I think I'll only free pool for Fjorm (or just summon all the green spheres in my free summon section), unless we have forging bonds (then I'm going to use my free summon tickets too, all for Fjorm), but not more than that. I mean, she's great but I don't really care about the rest of the units of the banner, they're pretty average. Its kinda disapointing, at least Muspell's banner had other great units so even if I didn't managed to summon him at least I got almost everyone else and my time and orbs were worth the effort.

I don't get why people say that they rather have champion Fjorm, Nifl and Muspell as regular units instead of mythics (except for the "OCs stealing other characters' place as mythic"). I think it would be better if they were all mythics, like the chance of summoning one of them would be way higher (and usually in Mythic/Legendary events you always get something good, even if it wasnt exactly what you're looking for) 

There will be a Forging Bonds, there always is these days.

I don't think anyone's acknowledged this yet:

Vyland's kit: Unbound Axe+, Smite, -, Atk/Def Push 3, Atk/Def Link 3, -

Like with Tatiana, there'll be two 5* copies of him to get via quests. Vyland won't be available to regularly summon until the November Special Heroes banner.

26 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

You have a better shot at getting a specific character you want on a normal focus than you do on a legendary/mythic banner, actually. The fewer focus characters, the better. Also, being normal pool means they can be blessed, allowing them to be used in any season of Arena/AR and receive relevant bonuses.

And I'll take anything that doesn't continue to bloat the mythic pool with more FEH OCs.

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Consider this specific point of view, that I don't think many have.

There are going to be 6 mythics added every year, and that doesn't change (for the purpose of this argument let's consider every Mythic added in a New Heroes banner as a Normal Hero, and let's also ignore the weird exception of Triandra and Freyja added at the same time). With every New Heroes banner there are 5 character additions, BUT that can change. Because every time an OC like Nifl, Nott or Muspell gets added to New Heroes banners we get 6 character additions. If you are someone with no particular tastes, or characters that you dislike, getting 6 characters instead of 5 is an amazing deal and you would want that every time.

And it's not like because we get OCs on regular banners now they stopped giving us OCs on Mythic banners. We just got Otr. If anything it's just convenient because even if we stopped getting Mythics from other FE games, with only six slots per year, the fact that every books adds around six OCs every time, plus bonus OCs thrown in out of nowher like Thorr and those we left behind and still need to get one day like regular versions of Freyr, Gustav, Henriette, Veronica and Bruno, etc. we would never catch up and the game would die without us ever getting to play as some of the OCs.

I will say what I think, even if many will disagree. Every single New Heroes banner should have six characters added with the OC trick (doesn't matter if they count as ascended, mythic or just regular heroes) and we should stop getting OCs on Legendary and Mythics banner. And suddenly the goal of getting all 12 crusaders, for example, will become more realizable.

EDIT: And when I say every single New Heroes banner I mean it! Give us Undead Gustav on Fallen Heroes and with every CYL let's randomly add an NPC like that one villager recently added to the game, or that one dancing Revenant. As a treat. I mean as bonus quest reward obviously. Even I am not crazy enough to suggest kicking a CYL winner out of the CYL banner.

Edited by GrandeRampel

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

She's drawn by her original artist, but I agree about her face looking kinda hazy.

6 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

I'm also not sure how to feel about Fjorms appearence, I like her design too, but I feel that she would have been prettier if something was different but I don't really know what. Also I might be the only one who thinks this but I like her better with short hair, and her hair suddenly growing when she got Nifl's powers seemed too Magical Girl-ish to me.

It's the exaggerated moe. Her face looks kind of small (and the longer hair framing it reinforces that), with the eyes slightly bigger than on her original art, making her look younger/kinda childish, and it's off-center compared to her torso (and even more if you look at her feet; I'm not sure what her body is doing under her armor, but that's not a stable stance). Her new form is supposed to represent a power boost, but it looks like the art is going for the boost as something that happened to her and that she's surprised about, which I guess works for like, the seconds immediately after it happens, but isn't great as her permanent look. It makes her look passive, timid and overwhelmed with the change/in need of help, rather than active and determined to use it, so it clashes with what's supposed to be happening and her original, composed-looking art.  I am not saying the W word, but.

Shame, because she does look fun as an unit, and the blue-tinted hair does look magical girl-ish, which would otherwise be a plus for me (even though short hair suits her better).

Anyway, good on the Wolf Guard for making it in, and in one go at that. A surprise after how they handled some banners this year, but a good one.

42 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

EDIT: And when I say every single New Heroes banner I mean it! Give us Undead Gustav on Fallen Heroes and with every CYL let's randomly add an NPC like that one villager recently added to the game, or that one dancing Revenant. As a treat. I mean as bonus quest reward obviously. Even I am not crazy enough to suggest kicking a CYL winner out of the CYL banner.

That revenant isn’t even a FEH original. It’s the design from Shadows of Valentia.

But yeah sure, have a FEH OC on every New Heroes banner just to have a FEH OC. That’s definitely the reason IS is doing this and I can’t possibly see how this idea might piss people off if it’s taken to absurd levels.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Thats... an interesting list. Weird to see that someone actually gives a fuck about Gonzales, I would love to see Niime, Athos should be a mythic with the best Forblaze in the game (I would like to see the other 8 legends too, specially Roland, Durban, Elimine, and of course Athos, who are the ones we can actually see the faces during the game), Lucia and Volug would be pretty cool to have in the game (can't wait for the next Tellius banner), also Fafnir and Bruno are musts for me but I'm pretty sure that they will have their OG alts eventually (the only problem is when).

Regarding the "guest" OCs: at present, ignoring OCs and Brave/Fallen alts, we're getting 51 proper New Heroes per year. (10 standard banners with 5 units each, plus a CYL GHB.) As long as the OCs are always matched with bonus units like Vyland (and the structure stays the same otherwise), that number will not change and will stay constant at 51.

For comparison, 2018 only had 44 such units.

Do we know if Fjorm: Ice Ascendent will have access to Ice Mirror II? In this case, I assume Ice Mirror is better for damage output since you can stack Flayns on top, but Ice Mirror II is better for more damage reduction?

Anyways, I feel like Save armors might be a bit too strong right now. I think Arden-Hector: Brave Warrior might be the best Save armor combo right now with Hardy Fighter being a thing. Now I think I might pull some Múspell for more damage support.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Do we know if Fjorm: Ice Ascendent will have access to Ice Mirror II? In this case, I assume Ice Mirror is better for damage output since you can stack Flayns on top, but Ice Mirror II is better for more damage reduction?

Anyways, I feel like Save armors might be a bit too strong right now. I think Arden-Hector: Brave Warrior might be the best Save armor combo right now with Hardy Fighter being a thing. Now I think I might pull some Múspell for more damage support.

The video only shows her with the original, and Valentine's Ike didn't get Radiant Aether II.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

She definitely won't have Ice Mirror II because if she did, it'd be in the video, as Ice Mirror II has Ice Mirror as a prerequisite.

23 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She definitely won't have Ice Mirror II because if she did, it'd be in the video, as Ice Mirror II has Ice Mirror as a prerequisite.

Maybe they update her kit in the future and give her Ice Mirror II, but yeah, I'm also pretty sure she won't come with it

3 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Maybe they update her kit in the future and give her Ice Mirror II, but yeah, I'm also pretty sure she won't come with it

If they update her kit in the future, it'll be a long time from now. I don't even want to think about what sorts of skills they'll be giving out by then.

Edited by Othin

5 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

That revenant isn’t even a FEH original. It’s the design from Shadows of Valentia.

But yeah sure, have a FEH OC on every New Heroes banner just to have a FEH OC. That’s definitely the reason IS is doing this and I can’t possibly see how this idea might piss people off if it’s taken to absurd levels.

I was making a joke which I guess didn't go as well as I hoped. I thought actually asking for a generic monster to be playable was a dead giveaway, but that's on me.

Answering your actual criticism, honestly even if people will get upset about it, I don't see another solution.

It's not "having an OC with every banner just to have it". It's "we already made the OCs and we have to distribute them to the players somehow".

As I said in my post, let's take BOOK VI as an example. It added: Reginn, Otr, Fafnir, Nott, Dagr, Eitri, Nifl and Muspel. That's 8 new characters with brand new designs that people will pull for, because even the worst received one (Otr) is guaranteed to have more fans than VYLAND and ROSHEA. You have only 6 Mythic slots and there is also a line of old OCs waiting for their turn. That obviously isn't enough for everyone to get in, but picking favorites and only making some OCs playable will piss the fans off. I have seen people genuinely angry because we don't have Freyr, Bruno and Gustav. And people swearing that they would throw all their votes towards Thorr if she was votable in CYL.

The old saying that every Fire Emblem character is someone favorite character rings true for the OCs as well, especially if a good chunk of the community has played only a couple, or even zero games outside of Heroes. But even if the Mythic slots were enough/they made less character for book VII, fans of other games will be pissed, especially if they have no mythic at all yet (hello Sacred Stones fans).

If you risk pissing the fans of Heroes off, or the fans of older games off the most reasonable solution is finding a third way that ends with less people pissed.

And dividing the OCs equally between New Heroes banners and Mythic banners is a good compromise, even if I would prefer they all end up on New Heroes banner.

And I hear some people argue that they would prefer if things were like 2018, with the Generals of Muspell banner getting all the OCs in one go (and even then it wasn't in one go. We were missing Surtr, Loki Hrid and Ylgr) and wanting the OCs to get their own banner so they don't have to be shoehorned into banners destroying whatever theme they have.

And I don't agree at all with this idea. That would actually steal the spot from a true New Heroes banner, as if Fallen Heroes wasn't enough. That would actually reduce the amount of Fire Emblem characters we get in a year. I question the priorities of people who prefer a better theme for a banner over getting more units from games other than Heroes. I guess it comes with the Pro of 1 "skip" banner guaranteed every year for the fans that just hate the OCs, so that's something. And if the problem is that we get one less 5-star for a specific game that ends up as a 3-star insteas, I still don't think that's a problem. If the alternative is getting the token third 5-star Hero who is 5-star in name only and pity breaks people causing a lot of salt like Lugh, Hubert and Fiora, then it's better if they end up as 3-star heroes instead. They remain bad units, but at least they don't break your pity rate.

If you have other ideas to make both the fans of older games and the OCs enjoyers somewhat happy I would love to hear them.

Another solution would be to make the weird Triandra and Freyja Mythic banner the new standard, doubling the Mythic slots we get in a year. That could work but doesn't address the problem of other games needing mythics too.

EDIT: And in the case of Ascended Heroes specifically, it's too soon to tell. As other people said, they may not be limited to OCs, and we may get Ascended Ike soon. And if they are limited to OCs I hope we don't get them every month because that would really throw a wrench in the "getting every OC playable plan" stealing a slot not from regular Heroes, but from other OCs. On the other hand, even Seasonal Slots have weight, so depending on who you ask if Fjorm getting an alt as a Bonus unit in a New Heroes banner means she frees up a spot for a seasonal alt for a character from another game that's a positive too.

Edited by GrandeRampel

5 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

It's not "having an OC with every banner just to have it". It's "we already made the OCs and we have to distribute them to the players somehow".

That order doesn't sound right to me. They choose how many OCs to make, knowing that it takes resources on their end but that they'll have fans.