Is it possible to get 100% evasion?

So, I've been 3H on and off during my second run through the game and I just noticed how suicidal the AI is, at times. Right now, I'm mainly curious to see if it'll actually try an 0% hit on Hard Mode and one of my best candidates is Sylvain. Mostly because his battalion and Black Magic Avoid skill had driven his opponents' accuracy to around 16% and all I need is an Evasion Ring and probably some speed boosters to push it down to zero...But then that will take the most of the fun out of 3H being a strategy game. Sure, it's already boring because they'll consistently take on the tank instead of someone softer...But this is where I remind you that I'm playing on Hard and I'm not sure if Maddening has the AI doing some crazy shit like those Lunge Ninjas from Conquest (which is fun).

It's weird, I never really tried min-maxing until I hit the stat cap in Echoes and the enemy accuracy ranged around to under 20% to 40% and now I'm breaking 3H just by grinding on my second run (which ruins a lot of RPGs).

Edited by Armchair General

Yeah, 100 evasion is definitely possible. See:

Sword Prowess Lv. 5 (20) +

Sword Avoid +20 (20) +

Alert Stance+ (30) +

Gautier Knights (20) +

Evasion Ring (10) =

And this is before considering the unit's Speed and Luck stats, as well as terrain. Defiant Avoid is also available to female units, while certain classes bring built-in Avoid +10.

Short answer: yes it is possible to reach 100% evasion, yes the AI will still try to attack you anyway, and yes that does remove most of the fun from the game.

Most flying classes give an inate +10 avoid, getting flying to A+ gives you Alert Stance+ for another 30 avoid, then there's the evasion ring, various battalions, various Weapon Avoid +20 skills (sword avoid +20 is available to all students if you're willing to give up on having a Dancer), Ferdinand and Dimitri's personal abilities, Weapon Prowess skills, base avoid from your speed, the Defiant Avoid skill... there are a lot of ways to stack avoid and getting above 100 -- and above the hit rate of most enemies -- really isn't that tricky.

It does pretty much kill all the challenge and interest of the game to do so, at least for me, so I wouldn't really recommend it. Although it is worth noting that even dedicated dodgetanks can occasionally get themselves into trouble. Named enemies with ridiculously high hit rate can occasionally be a problem, and you also have to be especially careful for enemy gambits, since they follow different rules for determining hit rates, and getting rattled can leave you open to attack from other units who wouldn't otherwise be able to hit you. But, honestly, even these problems can be mitigated to build a dodge tank who completely breaks the game.

17 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah, 100 evasion is definitely possible. See:

Sword Prowess Lv. 5 (20) +

Sword Avoid +20 (20) +

Alert Stance+ (30) +

Gautier Knights (20) +

Evasion Ring (10) =

And this is before considering the unit's Speed and Luck stats, as well as terrain. Defiant Avoid is also available to female units, while certain classes bring built-in Avoid +10.

That...Was a lot easier than I expected. Might as well rush through the remaining chapters, at this point.

6 hours ago, lenticular said:

It does pretty much kill all the challenge and interest of the game to do so, at least for me, so I wouldn't really recommend it.

Evasion Clause in Three Houses when?

Take the fun out of it? Nonsense. It is immenesely fun to fly Sylvain into the middle of a map witht he Chalice of Beginnings and turn skip until everything is dead (and I mean that most sincerely). The one thing a super avoid build does need to watch out for is Gambits though. As they use a different hit rate formula (or at least they've been able to hit my 100% evade Sylvain) and that will leave the unit with lower stats that give other enemies a chance of getting a hit. Personally I forgo Defiant Avoid in favor of Renewal so that Sylvain can keep his personal skill active. But training him in Bishop in addition to everything is else is probably impossible without new game+. A wyvern build with a focus on swords (and a Sword Evade+20) should be completely possibly by end game though. Especially for Fernand who has strengths in Swords, Lances, Axes and Flying. Stick him in the flight training weekly task and flying and swords as his weekly goal. Then use tutoring on axes to get him to the promotion ranks necessary. Don't need to pay any attention to lances since he starts at D there and only needs to get to C.

Edited by Jotari

Well, I unintentionally baited the AI into taking a 0 dmg/0% hit against Dimitri,the other night; so that's one question answered. I'm pretty sure that I had Byleth next to him, but the AI had ran out of spaces to surround, so it was time for an Darwin Award.

Accidental discoveries like this are the best kind.

Edited by Armchair General

Yeah, Fire Emblem usually allows enemies to attack even if they have 0 hit. It's one of those things which honestly is a bit of an anti-frustration feature for the player; if allow the AI to elect to not attack, it wastes time. And it also encourages the player to find the lowest number where the AI will attack which feels very unsatisfyingly gamey, at least to me. I remember when I played FE4 I spent time in the lategame number-crunching enemy hit rate figures to try to ensure that they'd still attack the likes of Forseti!Arthur (at single-digit hit) instead of trying to wander around him.

I kind of miss Conquest, tbh. Considering how my BL run ended with the final boss trying to snipe Dimitri for zero damage. Granted, it was less than an headache than the GD version, where you start off surrounded on three sides. But I still had to rely on this to slowly work my way through 2/3 of map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Defeat_in_detail

Overall, it was a good way to kill over half a hour with sniping mages and killing off Grapplers and War Masters. But at least I couldn't blitz the boss, though and her combination of skills was essentially an non-issue, despite the fact that she can 2-round most of my team.

Hopefully the next game finds a workaround against long-ranged archery.