Watching Korra for the first time (SPOILERS)

♠Soul♠

I finished watching all of Korra, and I thought it was great all throughout. The only minor things I had against it was the giant fight in S2 and the giant mecha in S4. Mechas as a whole felt somewhat exaggerated, and I was fine with it as long as they were only a couple, and not entire splatoons of them. The ones in S4 were especially exaggerated, since they were pretty mobile and acrobatic, on top of already being really tanky and having things like flamethrowers and lightning/hooks, etc.

Beyond that, I really enjoyed the series all throughout, and every antagonist was really good, especially Zaheer and Kuvira. I really liked how they expanded the "Books" beyond just the elements, and into further categories that make up the "Avatar" as a whole, especially in S2.

I really liked how they also changed up the formula from evil firebenders, and now you have one of each element. Korra sort of feels like fanservice to waterbending fans at first, since they're more badass than they ever were (with guys like Amon, Unalaq, the Red Lotus chick and even Kaya).

On 11/1/2021 at 10:54 PM, ♠Soul♠ said:

I really liked how they also changed up the formula from evil firebenders, and now you have one of each element. Korra sort of feels like fanservice to waterbending fans at first, since they're more badass than they ever were (with guys like Amon, Unalaq, the Red Lotus chick and even Kaya).

Which was kinda needed because water was the red haired stepchild of the elements last time around. Katara's really the only prominent water bender. Aside from her you only really had master Paku and Hana, neither of who get a lot of screentime. The Water Tribes in general also seem to get the least amount of screentime and importance. They're noticeable absentees during the day of the black sun.

In contrast the Fire Nation seems to get the least amount of focus in Korra which due to them being the chief focus last time around was probably a good decision. 

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Which was kinda needed because water was the red haired stepchild of the elements last time around. Katara's really the only prominent water bender. Aside from her you only really had master Paku and Hana, neither of who get a lot of screentime. The Water Tribes in general also seem to get the least amount of screentime and importance. They're noticeable absentees during the day of the black sun.

In contrast the Fire Nation seems to get the least amount of focus in Korra which due to them being the chief focus last time around was probably a good decision. 

Hey! The brave warriors of the swampy tribe were there on the day of black sun. #swampRightsAreWaterTribeRights

Edited by Jotari

Perhaps if the original plan had still been in place, maybe. Though as Jotari states, the cobbled up plan still had Water Tribe participating from the swamp benders. Also Hakoda and his men were there too, in regards to the polar tribes.

On that subject, something of a missed opportunity to had the Water Avatar come from the swamp. Would've been more interesting I'd say.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

Hey! The brave warriors of the swampy tribe were there on the day of black sun. #swampRightsAreWaterTribeRights

That kinda reflect worse on the water benders. Some random hillbillies from the swamps join but the nation that nearly got wiped out and lost their princess to the Fire Nation just sits on its ass while the rest of the world fights for them. 

28 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That kinda reflect worse on the water benders. Some random hillbillies from the swamps join but the nation that nearly got wiped out and lost their princess to the Fire Nation just sits on its ass while the rest of the world fights for them. 

Hakoda and Bato played a prominent role in the invasion, though. It's only the Northern Water Tribe who seemed to be out of it. Which is to their discredit, I grant.

Anyway, if any Nation went underrepresented in ATLA, it was the Air Nomads. Understandably so, given their genocide at the hands of the Fire Nation. Korra bringing back Airbending through spirit shenanigans was unexpected, but honestly it worked as a mechanism to rebuild the Air Nation. Even if "oh there were more flying bison all along, we just found them" is a pretty cheap pull.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Chalk it up to the world actually being a big place and the north pole being super far away (something they kind of forgot about in the finale).