A Noob Asking For Help Of Introduction

GeoOfAkaneia

I'm new to the Series. I've been interested since learning about the series thanks to Melee. Roy was my favorite character.

So.... I was planning on playing the Fan Translation versions of The SNES trilogy with help from a modder to install the patched game onto the official cartridge.

However I needed guidance about where to go next.

I've downloaded Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones on Wii U, but never got to them.

I was wondering where I should go next.

After that I have a few questions about some of the 3DS Titles.

Echoes is a remake if Gaiden. Is it much better? Is there DLC?

I heard Marth and Roy are DLC in Awakening.

Also I hear Birthrights is easier but Conquest is harder... If I get Birthrights I can get Conquest as DLC along Revelations. Is Conquest DLC still as difficult?

Finally I want to get Three Houses however, I need to know if they Pulled a Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and had a version physically with all DLC or if they Pulled a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Golden Torna and made the DLC a Physical Seperate purchase.

Thank you all for your help 😊

I'm more Traditional RPG with FF, Pokémon, Mario RPGs as well as Action RPG with Kingdom Hearts.

I've NEVER touched a Strategy RPG game in my life....

Sorry for the noobish comment. I just really want help from the experts

41 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Then a great place to start is Blazing Blade, as it starts with a robust (but admittedly a bit hand holdy) tutorial that should give you a good grounding to start off the rest of the series.

48 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

I've downloaded Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones on Wii U, but never got to them.

Sacred Stones is very similar to Blazing Blade/FE7, but generally considered easier, and brought back, and refined some innovative ideas from older part of the series.

48 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

So.... I was planning on playing the Fan Translation versions of The SNES trilogy with help from a modder to install the patched game onto the official cartridge.

The SNES "trilogy" are so very different from eachother that the idea of calling them a trilogy feels almost foreign. Mystery of the Emblem includes a remake of the first Fire Emblem game, with a few maps and characters removed so they can fit and entirely new sequel, making it effectively two games in one. Genealogy of the Holy War is often considered the game with the best story, but there are people that really dislike the gameplay decisions that were made in it, so your mileage may vary. Thracia 776 should be played after Geneaology of the Holy War, as the opening to Thracia 776 spoils part of Geneaology of the Holy Wars story, and it is a midquel anyway. Also you should be warned that Thracia 776 is aggressively unfriendly to blind players, so looking things up, and asking for advice is generally seen as a good idea when playing that game for the first time.

53 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Echoes is a remake if Gaiden. Is it much better?

Then Gaiden, I would say so, although in a lot of ways it is very faithful to Gaiden.

54 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Is there DLC?

There is, although I have never been one to purchase DLC, so I don't have much knowledge, or strong opinions of it.

55 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Also I hear Birthrights is easier but Conquest is harder... If I get Birthrights I can get Conquest as DLC along Revelations. Is Conquest DLC still as difficult?

Yes, the Conquest as DLC is literally identical to the game on the Conquest cartridge. That being said, don't let Conquest's reputation for difficulty dissuade you from playing it, as it is in the opinion of many, the best gameplay in the whole series, and there are plenty of people on the forum that would be happy to give out advice if you need it while playing.

7 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

I'm assuming you're asking what games you should play after beating those two. There's many ways to go about it, so I'll list two pathways you could go off of and maybe you'll like a particular one.

Chronological Order (Release Date): Perhaps you care lot about seeing the progression of the series in quality regarding consoles. Maybe the idea of going to 3ds to gamecube/wii to switch to SNES is off putting. Personally, I went with this method, but left the first 5 FE games until after beating the rest, as it can be difficult to appreciate old FE's design and pacing compared to later entries when you're still new to the franchise. Afte Blazing Blade and Sacred Stone (FE7 and FE8), you can go do FE6, Binding Blade. It takes place after Blazing Sword, so you might enjoy seeing the correlations between the world of Elibe in these games. Since Binding Blade came out first, Blazing Sword is a prequel. It doesn't have lore you need to know from FE6 though, so there's no real need to play FE6 first. The main downside to playing in chronological order is that FE6 is actually quite challenging, but this is the one with the famous Roy the boy. After that is Path of Radiance, FE9. This is very beginner friendly, so you should have a good time settling in with this one. Right after that is its sequel, Radiant Dawn. Unfortunately, this one is a LOT less beginner friendly. Luckily, it has save points you can use each turn, so you won't have to worry to much about not having great strategy experience. Next would be the DS games, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem (FE11 and FE12). As remakes of FE1 and FE3, you get to experience the old FE games while not needing to deal with some issues it had prior, like FE1's lack of a battle window display. These games are interesting regarding how beginner friendly they are, as they can both be the easiest and hardest game of the series. FE11 on normal has a tutorial which gives you the basics on how to play, while giving you extra chapters to gain exp before the main campaign begins. New Mystery on normal is generally just really easy to get by, but gets really difficult on higher difficulty modes. Afterwards comes the 3DS era: Awakening, Fates, and Shadows of Valentia (Echoes). Awakening is considered to be the most beginner friendly game, as the series at this point was desperate for more sales, and the franchise was at risk of ending if it didn't sell enough. This game has a lot more focus on the RPG element over the strategy element. If played chronologically, you'll probably be experienced enough to play on Hard mode, which certainly can be challenging, but will get much easier as you learn Awakening's mechanics and how to make your characters become killing machines. Fates (FE14) is broken down into 3 games: Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations. If you plan to play all three, then you'd probably play in that order. Birthright is the easy, beginner friendly entry to Fates, giving you plenty of resources for you to use how you wish, having a moderate focus on that RPG feel. Conquest takes a big focus on strategy. Even on normal, Conquest is known to be really hard at times. Chances are, by playing chronologically, you will have gotten enough experience to handle it well enough. Revelations is generally unappreciated by most fans. It's main thing is having a gimmick on each map, but many fall short and the game is often just not fun for most people. Next would be Shadows of Valentia (FE15), the remake of Gaiden, the 2nd FE game. It tries to stay faithful to the original while giving a complete overhaul to its presentation. This one is known for having amazing voice acting and music. It's pretty impressive for being remade out of an NES game. The gameplay and map design is mostly unchanged though. There is dungeon exploration in this game, most of which is optional. This game uses Mila's turnwheel as a way to rewind time for when you lose units, making relatively beginner friendly. It has very unique gameplay, so it's probably not the best game to start off with. The most recent entry, Three Houses (FE16), has a moderate focus on the RPG feeling of seeing your characters grow over time, somewhat similar to Awakening. The game works under Calendar system as you are a professor in a Monastery. Chapters occur at the end of the month, and you use the rest of it to do various things, like do practice battles, engage with the Monestary and partake in various small activities, and teach students however you want to make them grow accordingly to how you want to play the game. Since so many people are playing this as their first FE, it's safe to say that it's pretty beginner friendly, even if it's unique mechanics are confusing at first. This one has Divine Pulse, working the same as Mila's Turnwheel, so you can afford to make quite a couple of mistakes before losing units for real. 

Basically: FE6 Binding Blade-->FE9 Path of Radience-->FE10 Radiant Dawn-->FE11 Shadow Dragon-->FE12 New Mystery-->FE13 Awakening-->FE14 Birthright-->FE14 Conquest-->FE15 Shadows of Valentia-->FE16 Three Houses

Awakening has quite of lot of references to older games, so playing like this would help you get them if you like being in the know of that sort of thing. Radiant Dawn can be pretty hard, so I'd suggest playing that one on Easy Mode if you were finding the previous games to already be challenging. You can tell that the modern games have a bigger focus on RPG while old entries like Binding Blade emphasizes the strategy aspect. It's why I feel that the first five FE games might be worth saving until later, as some those ones can be almost 90% strategy and 10% RPG, except maybe Genealogy. Thracia  (FE5 snes) is infamous for being the least friendly game in the series, so you'd probably want to wait for a while before playing that one.

New To Old (RPG to Strategy): Many started off with the newest games, espcially those who came in because of RPG elements. You'd probably go from FE7 and FE8 to Awakening. If you end up enjoying FE8 more than FE7, you might appreciate Awakening more due to its ability to reclass into several other classes and the ability to grind for xp if things get too tough, while FE6 is a lot more linear, emphasizing the strategy element of limited resources. After Awakening, you can move on to Fates Birthright, which also uses the Pair Up system Awakening has, but is more balanced out. You could come back and play Conquest later, after getting more FE games in your belt. Then would be SoV and Three Houses. The order of which you play these 3DS games don't matter too much. Out of them, SoV is the least RPG like, as it's a Gaiden remake. Then, you might move to the Tellius Era, Path of Radiance to Radiant Dawn. While the DS games are technically newer, they're remakes of really old games, so it might feel a bit lacking compared to the modern games if you love the RPG aspect (also the DS are known to have ugly graphics, so that tends to put off newcomers). Path of Radiance will be a good transition from new to old, as it doesn't use casual mode or a system to let you restart turns, but it's still an easy game, similar to FE7 on normal mode. Even on Hard, Path of Radiance is a forgiving entry with great world building, so it's also a great game to start off with. The reason I wouldn't immediately jump to it is so you can get enough experience to play it's sequel right after, Radiant Dawn. While it's a lot harder, and requires a lot more strategy and limited resources, it has a lot of moments that can give it that RPG vibe. There's 3 tiers of classes, so stats can can up being really high by the late game, and end game is really long and has several parts, similar to an actual final boss moment in many RPG's. Again, it has save points each turn when not playing on Hard, so it won't be the most challenging thing in the world. Then you can move on to the DS games. Shadow Dragon (FE11) is mostly a strategy game, having very low growth rates, and characters hardly have a personality. However, many strategy game fans, like me, can appreciate the game for its simple, yet tight design to provide a challenge from what is given to you. The sequel, New Mystery, hits this odd feeling between RPG and strategy. Similar to Shadow Dragon, it's relatively simple. However, this game does have support conversations, unlike Shadow Dragon, and growth rates are actually pretty high. It's just that units cap their stats quickly, so you wont reach Awakening tier stats. I think FE12 is a game that will feel like it has more RPG elements on lower difficulties, but feel a LOT more like a strategy game on high difficulties. This game even has a casual mode for those who want a relaxing experience. Then, you'd finally reach Binding Blade. FE6, the one with Roy, and the last of the GBA titles that you started with. You'd probably play the SNES games eventually after that if you still care about the series at that point. I'd suggest Genealogy, then Thracia, then Mystery of the Emblem. Other than the 2nd half of Genealogy, these old entries will be where you really embrace the strategy element of the series. Then I suppose you'd tackle FE1 and FE2 and be done with the series for the most part.

Basically: FE13 (awakening)-->FE14 Birthright-->FE14 Conquest OR FE15 SoV OR FE16 Three Houses (Mostly any order is fine and you can hold off on Conquest until later if you really want to)-->FE9 Path of Radiance-->FE10 Radiant Dawn-->FE11 Shadow Dragon--->FE12 New Mystery--->FE6 Binding Blade--->FE4 Genealogy---> FE5 Thracia--->FE3 Mystery of the Emblem--->FE1 & FE2 (Order isn't really important here).

Note that if you wish to play in some different order, that's completely fine. Feel free to just take the information about each game and decide on your own what you think would be the most fun. I probably should've just listed each game and talked about it in a formatted list. Whoops.

1 hour ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Technically, yes. Awakening has a lot of DLC. But there's also spotpass, which isn't DLC and still has a Marth and Roy you can obtain. It's probably best to avoid using these guys on a first playthrough, as you're mainly expected to use the units given to you, rather than reuse characters from different games who have no dialogue. You can battle them though, which can be cool. I'm just saying you might not want to use them as units immediately. Some DLC can be pretty neat though. Future Past offers lore for Lucina, which I won't spoil here. There's the dlc packs like Champion's pack, Lost Bloodlines, Smash Pack, and such that have you fight off against characters from all of the other games, usually taking place in maps from those games. They're mainly neat if you play the rest first and experience the DLC like a big reference fest. Beating them given you access to certain skills and classes. Lost Bloodlines 2 (or 3 i think) gives you Dreadfighter as a class for example.

Conquest takes the approach of returning to the hardcore strategy elements of FE. I know that I made Conquest sound like this big scary thing, but don't let that scare you. It's a really fun game that rewards you for your planning and is often considered to have some of the best gameplay in the series. Just...don't jump straight into Conquest on Hard unless you really know what you're doing. I tend to not call it a DLC, as they are all full games. It's more of an add on to your cartridge, fitting all three so you don't need to buy separate games to and switch them each time. 

Finally I want to get Three Houses however, I need to know if they Pulled a Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition and had a version physically with all DLC or if they Pulled a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Golden Torna and made the DLC a Physical Seperate purchase.

I'm pretty sure Three Houses is just Three Houses. You get the DLC separately.

Sorry if the big paragraph of Fire Emblem descriptions wasn't very organized. Hope this helps.

25 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Mystery of the Emblem includes a remake of the first Fire Emblem game, with a few maps and characters removed so they can fit and entirely new sequel, making it effectively two games in one.

Yeah that much I know. I was planning on playing that first as I know Marth the best. I wanted to try FE3 as a refined start of the first game. I wanted to experience it first since Marth is the Legendary Hero King, so I was thinking about playing his game.

Blazing Blade is on my to do list but weird how Roy's game never was localized but his papas game is

I started with Blazing Blaze and can tell you that it was a great start for me, you don't have to think TOO MUCH about which game will be your first FE though, generally most people would recommend playing either FE7,FE6,FE8 or FE9 as your first one far as I know so you should pick any of these and have fun, some people also recommend Awakening but my say is against it as your first one because you will have some bad habits in other FE games if you do it (such as no permadeath, pair up and other stuff I'm not sure because I didn't play it yet but you should ask someone who played it to have a better list about the bad habits you can have if you play this one before the others). But even before that, I played FE Heroes, you can download it for free in playstore and its awesome (but if you don't like spoilers you should avoid reading the description of every hero, specially the legendary ones, but don't worry it won't affect your gameplay at all), it was truly got me into Fire Emblem.

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

I started with Blazing Blaze and can tell you that it was a great start for me, you don't have to think TOO MUCH about which game will be your first FE though, generally most people would recommend playing either FE7,FE6,FE8 or FE9 as your first one far as I know so you should pick any of these and have fun, some people also recommend Awakening but my say is against it as your first one because you will have some bad habits in other FE games if you do it (such as no permadeath, pair up and other stuff I'm not sure because I didn't play it yet but you should ask someone who played it to have a better list about the bad habits you can have if you play this one before the others). But even before that, I played FE Heroes, you can download it for free in playstore and its awesome (but if you don't like spoilers you should avoid reading the description of every hero, specially the legendary ones, but don't worry it won't affect your gameplay at all), it was truly got me into Fire Emblem.

Thanks a lot. Path of Radiance is getting super pricey and I refuse to pirate.

I'd want to save up.

Ike is honestly my least favorite male protagonist though. He's cool in Smash Brothers but Im not interested in his character much.

I'm more with Marth Roy Byleth Corrin and Lucina.

I do want to try Warriors but I don't know if I should get 3Ds or Wii U

26 minutes ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Thanks a lot. Path of Radiance is getting super pricey and I refuse to pirate.

I'd want to save up.

Ike is honestly my least favorite male protagonist though. He's cool in Smash Brothers but Im not interested in his character much.

I'm more with Marth Roy Byleth Corrin and Lucina.

I do want to try Warriors but I don't know if I should get 3Ds or Wii U

Never played Warriors so I can't say much, but good luck on whatever you decide to play. FE also has great memes and even a subreddit to it (but beware spoilers, theres lot of spoilers, but still they're funny as hell) you might know it already but its worth noting.

There's also this begginers guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/5s5nh1/new_to_the_series_where_should_i_start_the/  the guy who wrote it wanted to do some kind of "official guide to FE begginers", is kinda long but pretty cool and you can just skip the topics you dont want to read, it also talks about the side series games (such as Tear Ring Saga, that was created by FE's creator, Shouzo Kaga, its a game with very similar gameplay, weapons and stuff, this side series games basically count as FE for lots of/most people). There's also ROM hacks (that are maden by fans) and FE has lots of mangas too if you like it.

Anyway, welcome to the fandom, dude. Its a great one. 

Welcome to the Forest, GeoOfAkaneia!

20 hours ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Blazing Blade is a great entry point.

Echoes is a remake if Gaiden. Is it much better? Is there DLC?

Echoes is indeed a remake of Gaiden. To me, it feels incredibly better. There is a lot of DLC learn more about them here : https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/

Yes they are. https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/downloadable-content/ 

Conquest is indeed harder than Birthright. The DLC maps are scaled based on your level/progress so whatever paths you play you will experience the same thing.

As of today, the 23rd of October 2021 there is no FE Three Houses Complete Edition. And I don't believe there will be one.

Worry not, step by step, you will learn as you play.

Have a nice day and enjoy your stay!

13 hours ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Am I in trouble? 😣

I'm new here and I have a hard time reading these things asy phone is very limited in what I can read

Nope.  What is trouble is not reading the Code of Conduct.  Please do so, because that's where I have to do my job as a mod.  I'd much rather post silly things in someone's LP thread.

18 hours ago, eclipse said:

Nope.  What is trouble is not reading the Code of Conduct.  Please do so, because that's where I have to do my job as a mod.  I'd much rather post silly things in someone's LP thread.

Ok I will try my best 🙏

One last question where can I post a topic about how to get the official Japanese cartridges of the NES and SUPER NES fire Emblem games in English with the help of a reputable modder?

I'd want to post that for people who want to play on the official cartridge without an Everdrive Emulator or Reproduction Carts

Ok I will try my best 🙏

One last question where can I post a topic about how to get the official Japanese cartridges of the NES and SUPER NES fire Emblem games in English with the help of a reputable modder?

I'd want to post that for people who want to play on the official cartridge without an Everdrive Emulator or Reproduction Carts

NES and SNES era.  Do not links ROMs, do not ask for them, it's one of the nastier warnings, and sometimes people do this despite what the topic says.  Though given what you said, I think it would be best to run the topic by me first.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

NES and SNES era.  Do not links ROMs, do not ask for them, it's one of the nastier warnings, and sometimes people do this despite what the topic says.  Though given what you said, I think it would be best to run the topic by me first.

Don't worry I HATE illegal ROMSt the modder only wants official cartridges.

What he does is dump the rom Patch it with a fan Translation, uses soldering tools to put the patched game back onto the original motherboard by placing them on the back of the MaskROM.

He never supports Piracy

I'm so sorry everyone. I'm closing this topic. I don't think I deserve to be here...

I'm sorry everyone.

I never meant any harm...

How do I delete these? I don't deserve to be in this fandom after the sin I did...

I think it's better that I leave...