Reccomend me some ridiculous challenge run ideas

Faellin

Was burnt out on the game for well over 6 months due to how monotonous the monastery segments got after several playthroughs. And suddenly have an urge to replay the game.

But i'm looking for interesting ways to mix up the run to make things more difficult. But still fair. The one that came to mind is Noble / Commoner class only. No reclassing, and everyone is stuck in those default classes permanently. Any timeskip / church units must be downgraded to those classes as soon as possible.

Only Byleth and the Ashen Wolves might be something to consider. I've been wanting to do that for a while myself, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Nothing too special, but you only get 5 units to use.

You could also try out using only one weapon type on every unit (for example, swords only or bows only for everyone, meaning every unit can only use swords or bows, or whatever you decide).

If you wanted to do something really minimalist, you could do a solo run with Byleth on Maddening combined with that no reclassing idea and only using one weapon type if you're really into masochism.

Self-Guided Students: Students only train in their default areas of focus. However, if they come to you and request a change, you must accept it. So you never manually change goals. Up to your discretion whether this includes tutoring.

Miserable Miser: Don't spend any money. No buying, repairing, or forging weapons. No hiring or replenishing battalions. No buying seals, vulneraries, or keys. No buying flowers for anyone's birthday. You can, however, use any weapons, battalions, or items that come to you without being purchased.

D-rank Desperation: Your units can only use weapons and magic types which they're at D+ or below in. Once they hit C, they can no longer use that weapon type, and will need to switch to another. You can still boost ranks for the sake of reclassing, and Authority is exempted from the C-rank barrier.

If you hate monastery monotony, I think you have your challenge run already set out for you: Avoid the monastery as much as possible.  I know Dark Holy Elf did such a run on Crimson Flower, but plenty of ways to skin that cat.

General idea is that you can visit the monastery for mandatory or highly expected stuff, especially early, for things like "quests that unlock shops / core game mechanics / Saint Statues" and character recruitment.  But other than that, avoid the monastery whenever possible, and if you have to visit anyway, consider passing all of your activity points (again barring ones necessary for recruitment, e.g. lunching a recruit target to build support).  Should speed things up nicely.  If this doesn't sound challenging enough, also refuse to do Paralogues - some of the rewards there are a big deal.  Alternatively, if it sounds too awful, you can lighten it mildly by allowing the fastest Monastery events like cooking or faculty training.

There was a thread about challenge runs here a couple of months ago that you might want to check out to see if any of the ideas there take your fancy.

5 hours ago, SnowFire said:

If you hate monastery monotony, I think you have your challenge run already set out for you: Avoid the monastery as much as possible.

I would second this. You can go as far as completely banning the monastery (except for when it's forced) and still end up with a very playable game, or you can allow for a few bits and bobs for quality of life (eg, dancer, saint statues) if that sounds like more fun to you.

Hey, I´ll add to the no-monastery-run crowd. It´s surprising how far you can get in the game in 3 hours when you are ignoring the sim.

I heavily recommend playing it on Hard though, Maddening while I have only managed to get to chapter 5 so far is... an excruciating test in patience.

Noble/Commoner-only sounds terrible, being stuck with 4 Mov for the whole game. At least lvl10 classes, if only so you won´t have to crawl through the game.

Stuff like Banes only is a classic run, from what I understand.

One that I've never tried but have wanted to is using a wheel or somwthing to decide what classes you put people into? I.E, once you get beginner seals, you spin a wheel to decide which class each person promotes into-they then have to stay in that class until their next promotion, when the wheel is spun again to choose another random class.

Alternatively, do all the spinning at the start so that you can train up everyond's ranks so it's possible to get into the required classes.

Randomize X amount of weapons/magic.  Those are the only weapons/magic you can use on your deployed units.  Hopefully you don't wind up with nothing but Silver weapons, but I'll leave the rules of randomization to you.

Iron man runs are always the most obvious answer I think

Try to clear the monastery part as fast as possible

or try to clear the monastery chapters as complete as possible, doing every side quest/not necessarything as possible, if you didn't do this before it might be fun?

Make everyone stick with the fewer weapons and spells as possible (as if each character had their personals weapons, only they can use them), and avoid trading weapons and items as much as you can (you CAN trade, but try to avoid), also if one character receive a weapon (like from drops or any other method) they should keep it to themselves (unless you want to trade, but again, you're supposed to try to avoid). Basically is kinda like FE4.

Play the game with the absolute worst class for each character, and make the hardest unit possible win the heron cup.

Clear the game with the fewer characters as possible, you can switch the groups (very small groups) you use in each playthrough (kinda like Thesiaoz journey videos, I've saw some about FE6 and FE7, don't know if he does about other FEs but you probably get the idea)

Clear the game without recruiting anyone out of your house

Each time one of your units kill a boss, you have to ditch them for the rest of the game (or at least until the timeskip, then after the timeskip you restart the challenge using all of your units again and start diching them one by one again), if a forced deploy unit is the one to kill the boss then you will obviously have to deploy them later but don't let them ever engage in combat again (or send them without a weapon in the next maps)

Use only a very small amount of units during the whole game and do a mental competition between them to see who will get the bigger amount of exp (mentally bet in who you think will win at the end of each chapter). Actually, you don't even have to use a small amount of units for this but if you do, the competition will feel more intense.

Try to put everyone on their "canon" class and stick with them for the whole game once you do it.

Make your units attack the enemies that are closest to them (and the unit you have closest to the enemy have to be the one to attack them), always, regardless of whether this is a good idea or not of whether they will die or not.

Russian Roulette: In the beggining of each chapter you use a randomizer to decide which unit you will kill on purpose the fast as possible into the chapter. OR, if you don't want this, you can pick the unit that was selected by the randomizer and send them to the frontlines of the battlefield without any weapon or any item that can help them (like anything that can raise their Def, Res, avoid,...) during the whole chapter to see if they have a chance of surviving, if by the end of the chapter the unit didn't die, their safe for now and you don't have to kill them in the next chapter (You'll randomize another unit, and the game keeps going).

Have the entire army share 2 or 3 weapons between them during the whole game (or maybe one weapon of each type, or maybe even ONLY 1 WEAPON AT ALL), switching between them during each map. You can change the weapon between the maps if you want to, but during the maps you can't have more than the small number of weapons you chose, be smart and choose a weapon of a weapon type that all of your best units will be able to use. You can even randomize the weapons you'll use per chapter.

Never attack, only counterattack

I didn't play 3H so if one of this things is not possible to do, sorry. Hope you have fun.

22 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Iron man runs are always the most obvious answer I think

Thing is, iron manning 3 houses just isn't fun in my oppinion due to divine pulse, and its more limited roster. Iron man runs in fire emblem I best enjoy on games with larger rosters like binding blade or the archanea remakes

7 hours ago, Faellin said:

Thing is, iron manning 3 houses just isn't fun in my oppinion due to divine pulse, and its more limited roster. Iron man runs in fire emblem I best enjoy on games with larger rosters like binding blade or the archanea remakes

Definitely agreed with both counts, FE3H is one of the worst games for an ironman run out of all those it's actually possible, IMO.

• If you do an ironman with divine pulse allowed, it's... barely an ironman run, to be honest. I've definitely had playthroughs where I've never run out of divine pulse, probably a majority of them even, and I'm definitely not the most meticulous player out there.
  • Conversely, if you ban divine pulse, the game feels... kinda poorly balanced for this IMO? At least Maddening. There's just too much stuff in 3H you have to memorize if divine pulse is banned, like the exact nature of reinforcements in many paralogues (as well as certain story fights like chapter 5).
  • And of course, there's the fact that, past chapter 11 or 12, you basically just... stop getting new recruits, ever, so there's no way to replace anyone you do lose. This is a marked contrast to pretty much every other Fire Emblem game.

Genderlocked classes only:

- Only genderlocked intermediate, advanced and master classes are allowed

- Post timeskip, only one of each class allowed on the field at once(one Dark Mage and one Dark Bishop is fine, but two Dark Bishops isn't)
  - That one can be enforced earlier if you feel like it. Just don't want half of the cast to be stuck in beginner for half the game. At the same time, without something like that this'd just become a pegasus knight challenge.

- No unique classes allowed unless you're forced to use them. Though you may pick up a dancer if you're bored.

- DLC access is probably advisable, since there aren't that many female genderlocked classes without it(3 females vs 6 males).

Edited by Cysx