Worst unit in each game?

FailWood

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binding Blade: Gwendolyn. She pretty much has the whole deck stacked against her; she comes underleveled, she's got poor bases, she is in a bad class, and her jointime is bad to top it all off. Oh, and Binding Blade has big maps on top of all this.

Blazing Blade: Karla. Poor bases, and at that point, she's far outclassed by any other sword unit you'd have bothered to use. FFS, Harken joins several chapters before with better bases overall (all she has over him is 1 skill and speed, 2 res and 4 luck which is not nearly enough to overcome 9 HP, 7 strength and 4 defence), and in a better class to boot! For someone who requires actively using one of the worst units in the game, I'd expect a hell of a lot better than this... 

Sacred Stones: Ewan. If I left out the trainees, I'd say Marisa, who joins at the same level as Joshua did... five to seven chapters later... with worse bases.

Path of Radiance: Rolf. Archers tend to be bad enough, but at least most of the early archers joined early, when enemies were themselves weak, and they could thus feasibly be raised. Rolf comes along with bad bases in the ninth chapter, when a good chunk of your other characters are approaching double-digit levels. Making matters worse for him, the effective bonus was lowered to only double might, meaning even against fliers, he still doesn't do that well. Oh, and not too long after he joins, some of the best units in the game do.

Radiant Dawn: Lyre. Cat laguz are already lousy to begin with, but Lyre takes it to another level with the offensive level of Mist (who is a healer, and thus not meant to see combat regularly) starting out. Then you consider she's in the Greil Mercenaries, which have a good chunk of the best units in the game...

Awakening: Donnel. He has a really bad start, especially considering he can't even leave Villager without a Second Seal.

Fates Birthright: Subaki. Poor offense and speed, and he's obsoleted by Hinoka right after his joining chapter.

Fates Conquest: Arthur. Fighters in general are at their lowest in Fates, and Arthur exemplifies everything wrong with them. Oh, and he's a huge liability because of his nonexistent crit evade.

Fates Revelation: Odin. His bases are barely better than they were in Conquest, and he joins seven levels higher than in that game... nine chapters later.

Three Houses: I'd probably say Hanneman overall. By the time he joins, he's well behind your other mages.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I've only played FE6 through FE12, and some of them I've only played once or twice (like FE12), but here's what I think:

FE6: Sophia. I love Sophia as a character but as a unit she's damn near unusable. She has horrible base stats for her joining chapter and even feeding her kills by leaving enemies at 1 HP is hard because of her atrocious hit rates. The fact that she only gains E Staves on promotion in a game with really broken staves and also a painfully slow WEXP system is just adding insult to injury.

FE7: Karla. You just get her way too late and she can barely do anything of use in the 2 remaining maps. Her stats are also incomprehensible to me: you get her several maps later than Karel and she's way harder to recruit, but she also has significantly worse bases and even her growths are worse (not like growths matter when you only have 2 maps left and you're at a point where you don't want to train anyone else). Even the crappy early game archers can contribute more; with Karla, I can't even justify deploying her.

FE8: Marisa. This is one of the games that I've played the least so I can't say much other than the fact that I don't find her very good. Then again, with infinite grinding available and considering that overall this game isn't that hard anyways I think there isn't as big of a gap between her and the good units as there is between the bad and the good units in other games.

FE9: Rolf. It's too hard to train him and there isn't much of a payout for it. This game is so enemy phase heavy too that it just doesn't feel worth it to invest on a lvl1 archer that joins kind of late.

FE10: Lyre. She's so bad, that I honestly think even Meg and Fiona are more useful. You could at least justify deploying those two for minor things such as rescue/dropping or shoving. If you wanted to train them, while it would be a grueling task they would at least get somewhere with a lot of dedication. Lyre will never get anywhere no matter what you do. Even if you were crazy enough to train her and lucky enough for her to get decent stats, she will still always be limited by the terrible Cat gauge.

FE11: Bantu. He recruits Tiki and that's about the only useful thing he does. His combat is really bad, and being a Manakete he can't reclass. I was honestly tempted to say Mathis, but even he can use a forged Ridersbane and OHKO stuff (he has base D rank lances, but he's not that far). Bantu just can't contribute anything meaningful beyond recruiting Tiki.

FE12: Bantu. Can't say for sure because there's way too many characters and I've only ever played this game once and I did so in normal mode, but I feel like Bantu is just as bad for the same reasons as in FE11. At least other crappy units can abuse busted forged weapons, Bantu can't even do that.

Edited by GonzoMD1993

• BinBla: I think I'd give it to Sophia, but if you ask me next month, I might say Wendy. They both have such irredeemably weak combat when they join. Wendy comes a little earlier, even though it's not at the most advantageous point for a lance user (to put it mildly), but it still gives her a bit of a potential XP lead when Sophia joins. Sophia technically has staff utility when she joins, but it would take a lot of dedication to get her even just to Mend.
  • BlaBla: Karla. Bad stats, bad class, late joining time. On HHM, Nino might come close, since she loses Cog as a map to be slightly useful and collect XP on. Wallace, if you played LynMode and didn't promote him, is also down there.
  • SacSto: L'Arachel is probably the worst unit to train, but she has some basic no-investment utility as a healer (although she only starts with D Staves...) and rescue/dropper. I think I'll go with Amelia, although Marisa s a contender, too.
  • PoR: Rolf. Bows are aweful, he joins underleveled and without Shinon's earlygame utility. High investment, very small returns.
  • Radiant Dawn: Lyre. Can't add much to what @GonzoMD1993 said.
  • Shadow Dragon: I haven't played this in forever, come to think of it. Bantu is probably a fair pick, since most bad characters do have the option to at least use effective forges.
  • NMotE: This one's tough because it has so many awful units. I think I'll go with Vyland - the Wolfguard stands out because they all die horribly in their joining chapter despite being promoted and Vyland is probably the worst among them.

44 minutes ago, GonzoMD1993 said:

FE7: Karla. You just get her way too late and she can barely do anything of use in the 2 remaining maps. Her stats are also incomprehensible to me: you get her several maps later than Karel and she's way harder to recruit, but she also has significantly worse bases and even her growths are worse (not like growths matter when you only have 2 maps left and you're at a point where you don't want to train anyone else). Even the crappy early game archers can contribute more; with Karla, I can't even justify deploying her.

I'ma admit, I actually thought about putting Karla instead of Wil for a while. ...You know what? To hell with all of it, I'm switching to her.

23 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'ma admit, I actually thought about putting Karla instead of Wil for a while. ...You know what? To hell with all of it, I'm switching to her.

I know right? I also thought at first of the early game archers, but the fact that they can contribute something at all (however little that contribution may be) puts them above Karla for me, since she honestly can't do anything for you at the point that you get her with the stats that she has. Her recruitment conditions are the cherry on top xd

FE1: Bord
The game is not kind to axes and Bord is the one with the worst stats. Being neither able to reliably land your hits while also being not very durable is not a good combo.

FE2: Idk, Clair maybe?
The openness of Alm's maps does very little for fliers, and of course her stats themselves are really bad.

FE4: Hannibal
Arden has some use in the Prologue and Chapter 1. Hannibal sadly doesn't even amount to that.

FE5: Ronan
The mighty 15% Strength archer. Not that Tanya is doing much better, but at least she has good support options. She can be worth deploying just for that.

Tear Ring Saga: Luca
What's worse then a crappy earlygame archer? A crappy earlygame archer that requires you to pass up on a much better unit. He is also more limited by movement then others of his kind.
He still got some potential. Get him to level 15 and he learns Charge, easily the best skill in the game. But while getting him to level 15 is far from unrealistic, it's still a pain in the rear. And being a ranged fighter with Charge isn't unique to him either.

FE6: Sophia
2 skill and 3 con. It's like they just forgot to give her stats. And having Flux as her most reliable offensive tool is not doing her any favors in digging herself out of that hole.

FE7: Lyn
Being a melee-only unit with no durability is not a good combo for a game that's all about killing as many enemies as possible on enemy phase.

FE8:
Eirika route: Ewan
Ephraim route: Amelia
The map after Amelia recruitment makes it relatively easy to get her going on Eirika's route. But on Ephraim's route, the tougher maps result in even Ewan having more hope then her, due to him having much better ranged combat.

FE9:
Easy to Hard: Mia
Maniac: Devdan
Mia deals no damage and needless to say, she is not doing too well on the defensive side either.
But I think on Maniac, Devdan might just be worse. At least Mia does not need to worry about getting doubled.

Berwick Saga: Derrick
There is a reason he charges virtually nothing for his services.
I would call him a playable generic armor, but that would imply that he actually gets stronger as he gains levels. And well, he really doesn't. What you see is what you get.

FE10: Lyre
It's insane how much Lyre has going against her. Cat gauge, terrible bases, somehow even worse EXP gain preventing her from getting better any time soon... She also joins at the same timeas a whole bunch of other Laguz who all heavily outperform her. And Lethe and Kyza are already not worth using.

FE11: Bantu
Bantu continues his neverending torment of being made worse in every game he is in. At this point, he is not even worth being used temporarily.

FE12: Bantu
Well, what can I say?
With power creep being more stupid then ever, Bantu was left completely unchanged.
While everyone else has higher bases and much higher growths compared to the original game, I would guess that he is the only character who would actually become worse if you were to put him into the original game.
Sure, he technically would have better (but still completely terrible by FE3 standards) growths. But FE12 Dragonstones also got nerfed super hard. They don't even allow 1-2 range.
Someone clearly hates this poor guy.

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Mycen
Who thought it was a good idea to give everyone much higher growths and increased EXP gain, without actually changing anyone's base stats?
Unsurprisingly the biggest victim of this baffling balancing strategy is the very last recruit of the game.
What were once perfectly good endgame stats just aren't cutting it anymore in the new power level. Mycen gets double attacked by anything and everything. And while he is bulky enough to survive at least 1 round of combat against most things, his low Luck also ensures everything has a crit chance against him. And when that triggers, he is dead as a doornail.
Mycen could in theory still be useful. But while previously in the game, you could deploy everyone, you can only bring a few people in the final dungeon. And with all those drawbacks, why chose someone as unreliable as Mycen?
And of course you can forget using him for the post-story, when the power creep gets really silly.

Vestaria Saga 1: War of the Scions: Jamulan
The mightiest baghatur of the Odom and a brilliant tactician. A titan that even the combined forces of Gyskhal, the Nyman League and the Aragoths could barely fight to a draw.
...not that you could tell by looking at his stats, because they are the definition of mediocre.
And without proper stats to compensate for the weight and accuracy of Axes, he is bound to be a crappy fighter. No amount of favoritism can really change that.
He has some maps where he is force deployed, but those are particularly unfriendly to his mediocre combat.

Edited by BrightBow

2 hours ago, GonzoMD1993 said:

I know right? I also thought at first of the early game archers, but the fact that they can contribute something at all (however little that contribution may be) puts them above Karla for me, since she honestly can't do anything for you at the point that you get her with the stats that she has. Her recruitment conditions are the cherry on top xd

Yeah, it's like, Rebecca and Wil suck, but Karla is on a level of bad that I can only call stupefying.

FE1: Jake/Beck, FE1 ballistician is the worst class in all of FE

FE2: Sonya, rip female mages in gaiden, she's up against Mr Insane bases, worse avail then Mae

FE5: something like Miranda, bad bases, join time, Ronan at least has a lot of the game to do something

FE6: Sophia. Difficult to train due to accuracy, gets onerounded by every attacking enemy in her join map, bla-deh-bla

FE7: Karla. Joins late with terrible bases, and poor growths. 

FE8: Marisa. 25% str, terrible class, bad join level, horrific bases.

FE11: something like Macellan or some crud, IDK

for me:

fe2: boey (outcalssed)

fe4: deirdre (not made for combat only usable in one and a half chapters)

fe5: tanya (early game archer)

fe6: wendy (everyone knows this girl)

fe7: rebecca (even worse than wil)

fe8: forde (stays weak even after promoting)

fe9: rolf (early game archer)

fe10: kyza (i was so hyped by this guy but surprisingly he's super weak being a laguz)

fe11: cord (barst > bord > cord)

fe12: samto (another fricking wendy)

fe14 conquest: laslow (just disappointing)

Edited by Redeyesblackdragon

6 hours ago, BrightBow said:

FE10: Lyre
It's insane how much Lyre has going against her. Cat gauge, terrible bases, somehow even worse EXP gain preventing her from getting better any time soon... She also joins at the same timeas a whole bunch of other Laguz who all heavily outperform her. And Lethe and Kyza are already not worth using.

Adding insult to injury, Ranulf is forced, and he's way better.

9 hours ago, GonzoMD1993 said:

FE10: Lyre. She's so bad, that I honestly think even Meg and Fiona are more useful. You could at least justify deploying those two for minor things such as rescue/dropping or shoving. If you wanted to train them, while it would be a grueling task they would at least get somewhere with a lot of dedication. Lyre will never get anywhere no matter what you do. Even if you were crazy enough to train her and lucky enough for her to get decent stats, she will still always be limited by the terrible Cat gauge.

Also, in the immortal words of a certain someone...

In her joining chapter she:

7 hit kills Warriors.
13-19 hit kills Halberdiers.
6 hit kills the weakest Swordmasters.
Is 3-4 strength short of even damaging Generals.
8 hit kills Snipers.
3-4 hit kills Sages. At the very lest, she can double the slowest ones.
Deals 1 damage to Dragonmasters (who have 40-42 hp).

Yeah, this is pathetic.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, in the immortal words of a certain someone...

In her joining chapter she:

7 hit kills Warriors.
13-19 hit kills Halberdiers.
6 hit kills the weakest Swordmasters.
Is 3-4 strength short of even damaging Generals.
8 hit kills Snipers.
3-4 hit kills Sages. At the very lest, she can double the slowest ones.
Deals 1 damage to Dragonmasters (who have 40-42 hp).

Yeah, this is pathetic.

Lmao, that's hilarious xd I knew she was bad, but to think that she would have to go through multiple uses of Olivi Grass to kill even a single enemy and in fact cannot even damage some others at all. She might just be one of the worst FE units ever (although admittedly I can't really speak for bad units outside of the games that I've played myself).

A lot of people have already laid out some very good picks, so I'll just speak on the games where there's some discourse I feel I can contribute to.

FE6: I think the worst unit is Sophia. At first I was thinking Wendy, since she's a similar deal- a weak girl who needs a lot of babying to use, but in a worse class. Then I remembered that Wendy joins 8 chapters earlier (count gaidens) and has a triangle attack. Feeding kills to Sophia is nightmarish from the word go, but at least Wendy can poke some of the Chapter 8 archers or finish off the stationary 8x enemies.

FE7: As much as I want to agree with the guy who said Lyn, I think it's hard to argue against Karla. She's utterly useless and joins incredibly late, while Lyn has the Mani Katti and contributes out of necessity in early chapters when you have few units- the same applies to Wil and Rebecca. She's not even a good backup unit for ironmans, since the requirements for getting her are so obtuse.

FE8: Amelia, easily. Ewan may join later but his weapon type is way better and doesn't force him to explode if he misses the enemy. Marisa is a complete joke, a downgrade from Joshua in every way, but she at least kind of works from her joining time forward. The only reason to say Amelia isn't the worst unit in the game is that she can get a horse for her Tier 1 class and Ewan can't- Ewan has to wait until promotion for horses/summons/staves/the ability to do cool stuff. However, Sacred Stones gives you plenty of good mounts and training Amelia is worse than training Ewan despite her joining earlier, so I don't think that really "redeems" her, she's still the bottom of the terrible trio.

Here's my picks for the games and units I've played and used:

Awakening: Virion. He has bad bases and no enemy phase upon recruitment in a game that's heavily enemy phase-oriented. His skill set is kinda bland, but Wyvern Rider is good I guess ? Panne makes better use of a Second Seal to Wyvern though. Otherwise, he doesn't really pass on of much value to his children.

Birthright: Rinkah. Useful in the prologue, but loses value right after. Even though she's one of the few Hoshidans with a high defense stat, her offense is really bad--like we all know the meme of how Sakura has a higher strength growth than her. She can't really offer much other than become Kaze's pair-up bot for the rest of the game.

Conquest: Arthur. His offensive stats aren't bad, but he's such a liability due to his terribly low luck. He comes with low-hit axes and it's a huge gamble trying to use him. Since he joins with Effie and has a quick S-Support with him, you're probably better off using Percy.

Revelation: We all know about Odin's unfortunate circumstances in Revelations, so Imma say Nyx for this LOL. She pretty much suffers from the same problems that Odin faces when she joins. She's unpromoted in the same chapter that Shura comes in, who IS promoted with bases that actually are workable. 

Echoes: Est. I mean, she is the namesake for the Est-Archetype, and her bases are near impossible to work with without heavy grinding if you want to actually use her for the rest of the game. On top of that, she's 9 levels away from promotion during a time when most of your units are probably already promoted. She has good growths and can be a really good unit if you invest in her, but the idea of investment is the problem LOL.

Three Houses: I rarely ever use the faculty members, so Imma go with Lorenz. He's supposed to be a balanced mix-attacker, but all of his stats fall below average overall making him an extremely mediocre unit. His strength and magic stat are never going to be exceptional, and he will always lack the speed to double. His reason spell list isn't bad, but he can't really provide any support with his lacking Faith list. The best he can do is give your party Thyrsus, which will most likely go to another unit LOL.

FE4: Arden: The unpromoted armored unit in FE4 has problems. Hannibal can at least take advantage of the absurd weapon ranks of the promoted version for some interesting utility, but good luck reaching there with old Arden.

FE5: Shanam: A terrible joke unit statwise, with his sole redeeming feature being the bargain skill to buy items for half price, but with Thracia never giving you free gold, access to all the items you can capture, and there not being many good shop left by the time you get him, makes that utility of suspect use.

FE6: Sophia: Late game level 1 mage that dies to everything, can barely hit, and barely damage things by the time you get her. Wendy at least comes earlier, and has a triangle attack available to her since her first chapter.

FE7: Karla: With the stats she has, she is not ready for what few chapters are left in the game. I should know, I have brought her to endgame once for funnsies (and support stuff).

FE8: Amelia: Ross comes early enough, and has water walking utiltity. Ewan comes latter, but you can have him early promote into the incredibly powerful Summoner class. Amelia just suffers all of the problem of trainee units without anything notable to redeem her.

FE9: Shinon: I think he beats out Rolf for two reasons, first Rolf is actually around, and second w/ BEXP you can actually train Rolf, even before promoting Rolf's stats can dwarf Shinons if you actually want an archer in PoR, and he comes back far too late for the stats he has.

FE10: Lyre: I was tempted to go with Vika, but thanks to RD's non-sensical availability she has a single chapter where she is actually useful (despite disappearing for the vast majority of the game). Lyre has more availability overall, but doesn't really have that single map where everyone more useful isn't allowed to be deploy like Vika does.

FE11: Bantu: He is terrible in this game...

FE12: Maria: I think most people don't count the priestesses as units, but technically they are, and its hard to argue that units with a single turn of use (on average), and not even a free item you can realistically use is kinda bad. They might have one key staff use, but of the four Maria has the lowest staff rank, and thus is least likely to even see that single staff use that the others might...

FE13: Priam: You will never actually use Priam. Recruiting him is literally more difficult than beating the entire game.

FE14 CQ: Arthur: He kinda needs his son to overcome the weaknesses of his personal skill, and restricting your team composition like that for an otherwise a meh unit makes him the worst of the Conquest cast.

FE14 BR: Hayato: A level 1 unit that shows up latter than Mozu, and doesn't even have a useful alternate class for him.

FE 14 RV:  Scarlet: I was tempted to say Setsuna for being the lowest-level and least useful unit in the two-parter, but Scarlet only existing in the two-parter, and being overshadowed by the royal heirs that also come in the two-parter let her take overtake her.

FE 15: Forsyth: Armored class line isn't great in this game, and he doesn't have the opportunity Lucas does to shine before the villagers promote, and Valabar has some niche uses, like being able to reach the minimum damage rate with shields on the otherwise incredibly dangerous desert archer fort.

FE 16: I am not sure...perhaps Cyril...I have heard Anna is terrible, but I haven't (and probably wont) get the DLC to actually see that for myself. With how the game works a lot of the units that don't obviously excel at something can be brought to a similar level of mediocre thanks to the class system, making it hard for any of them to distinguish themselves from eachother, even in crapulence.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Wendy at least comes earlier, and has a triangle attack available to her since her first chapter.

In light of the fact that you later bash Arthur for forcing Percy's use to overcome his weakness, I don't see this as much of a defense, especially when we're not only talking about using three crappy units, we're also talking about getting those same three units, who are in the least mobile class, into position... in a game with huge maps. Though admittedly, this might be splitting hairs.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

In light of the fact that you later bash Arthur for forcing Percy's use to overcome his weakness, I don't see this as much of a defense, especially when we're not only talking about using three crappy units, we're also talking about getting those same three units, who are in the least mobile class, into position... in a game with huge maps. Though admittedly, this might be splitting hairs.

First, the entire cast of Conquest is much more usable in their game than either of Wendy, or Sophia are in theirs. Second Wendy isn't competing with the like Arthur, she is competing with units like Sophia. Third a triangle attack gives a unit a 100% crit and hit, which is more significant, especially in a low hit game like FE6, than Percy's ability to give Arthur a normal crit avoid. Fourth you can use rescue dropping, or a simple step formation to bait enemies into doing most of the work for you, thus mitigating that mobility issue. Fifth Wendy still has ~8 extra chapters to improve, or see use, before Sophia arrives, even ignoring the triangle attack. Finally there is at least one chapter where 2 parts of the triangle attack are forced deployed, making that a far lower cost investment to use, and one chapter of that boon is far more than Sophia can get access to.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

First, the entire cast of Conquest is much more usable in their game than either of Wendy, or Sophia are in theirs. Second Wendy isn't competing with the like Arthur, she is competing with units like Sophia. Third a triangle attack gives a unit a 100% crit and hit, which is more significant, especially in a low hit game like FE6, than Percy's ability to give Arthur a normal crit avoid. Fourth you can use rescue dropping, or a simple step formation to bait enemies into doing most of the work for you, thus mitigating that mobility issue. Fifth Wendy still has ~8 extra chapters to improve, or see use, before Sophia arrives, even ignoring the triangle attack. Finally there is at least one chapter where 2 parts of the triangle attack are forced deployed, making that a far lower cost investment to use, and one chapter of that boon is far more than Sophia can get access to.

Still doesn't make up for the fact that she needs two other bad units fielded just to look trainable (I consider this completely absurd, by the way, as not one of the other bad units in the series I can think of require me devoting two more unit slots to other bad units just to make them look usable) AND to pretty much revolve my strategy around getting them into position, from my point of view (especially considering one of them is Barth, who is rather limited in terms of who can ferry him around). Considering that her stats are such that she spontaneously combusts if she doesn't kill whatever she's attacking, that's a serious problem. Then you consider that she joins right before a portion of the game where most enemies use axes... yeah. Also, even in the chapter where the other two join, there are plenty of other units I'd get better mileage out of fielding than Bors, meaning I'm taking on a serious opportunity cost just for that. Long story short, I'm calling you out for a double standard, as I cannot see how you're okay with fielding Bors in one chapter for a triangle attack despite the fact that you have many better options for units, yet have problems with Arthur needing Percy fielded to counteract the negative effect of his personal.

12 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE9: Shinon: I think he beats out Rolf for two reasons, first Rolf is actually around, and second w/ BEXP you can actually train Rolf, even before promoting Rolf's stats can dwarf Shinons if you actually want an archer in PoR, and he comes back far too late for the stats he has.

I disagree. Shinon's contributions before leaving are worth more than whatever Rolf can offer, and I don't think the ability to make a unit good with 20 extra levels actually indicates that they're good. I would much rather give the BEXP to Mist (mounted healer) or a unit I was actually using instead of Rolf.

1 hour ago, ping said:

People are saying, "Wendy is the second-worst unit in BinBla", not "Wendy is good, actually".

If you define "good" as "fun to use", then Wendy is actually good.

17 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE 16: I am not sure...perhaps Cyril...I have heard Anna is terrible, but I haven't (and probably wont) get the DLC to actually see that for myself. With how the game works a lot of the units that don't obviously excel at something can be brought to a similar level of mediocre thanks to the class system, making it hard for any of them to distinguish themselves from eachother, even in crapulence.

Definitely not Cyril. He's the first available out-of-house recruit on AM and VW, with easy access to Brigand and Archer classes, plus Point-Blank Volley as early as C+ Bows. There's a case for him to be worst on SS, but even there, he has instant PBV and a fairly gentle route to Wyvern Rider.

Anywhere, here's who I think is the worst unit in Three Houses... but on a route-by-route basis.

Crimson Flower: Flayn. She's a decent-at-best healer you get from chapters 7 through 11. Alternatively, she could go Pegasus Knight, if you want her dealing no damage.

Silver Snow: Hubert. He can be used from chapter 1 through 10, and provides decent magical damage, plus a couple iffy Rallies. His Faith bane gives him a tougher time providing healing support, though.

Azure Moon: Lorenz. He can do decent stuff out-of-house (bulky Mage, Frozen Lance), but the best thing he brings is Thyrsus. Post-skip, he misses out on chapters 13 through 16, and returns underleveled.

Verdant Wind: Ashe. There's little special he does in his own house, even if his proficiencies are alright. And post-skip, he disappears for chapters 13 through 16.

18 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I'd disagree here, largely because I could just as easily give that BEXP to someone else, and there's no shortage of good BEXP candidates that come not long after Rolf himself joins. Besides that, I'd consider Shinon being your best ranged attacker during the early portions of the game to be more useful than whatever Rolf can offer.

7 hours ago, ping said:

People are saying, "Wendy is the second-worst unit in BinBla", not "Wendy is good, actually".

Okay, but my point is that it isn't fair to criticize someone for restricting your team formation to make up for a weakness when you just defended someone else who is guilty of that as well (incidentally, while I didn't state it directly, this was one of the main reasons why I considered Wendy to beat out Sophia for worst; both are a serious pain in the ass to use, yes, but I found Wendy worse off because among other things, she's nigh unusable without fielding the other two Ostian knights, whom are themselves rather terrible. And this is in the worst game to be an armored knight in that isn't Holy War).

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 11/2/2021 at 10:58 PM, BrightBow said:

Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: Mycen

Who thought it was a good idea to give everyone much higher growths and increased EXP gain, without actually changing anyone's base stats?
Unsurprisingly the biggest victim of this baffling balancing strategy is the very last recruit of the game.
What were once perfectly good endgame stats just aren't cutting it anymore in the new power level. Mycen gets double attacked by anything and everything. And while he is bulky enough to survive at least 1 round of combat against most things, his low Luck also ensures everything has a crit chance against him. And when that triggers, he is dead as a doornail.
Mycen could in theory still be useful. But while previously in the game, you could deploy everyone, you can only bring a few people in the final dungeon. And with all those drawbacks, why chose someone as unreliable as Mycen?
And of course you can forget using him for the post-story, when the power creep gets really silly.

I've brought Mycen to end game. He's far from the best unit in the world, but I wouldn't rank him the worst unit in the game. His stats are high enough to contribute in end game. He won't be crossing the swamp, but if I recall, he's bulky enough to take hits from the trio that rush your ass in end game. Someone said Clair earlier whom I think I'd agree for worst unit on Alm's route. She has a theoretically great class, but actually getting her to perform well is a major chore. For Celica's route I'd say Jessie is the worst. He also has a theoretically great class, but you get a bunch of myrmidons anyway and Jessie comes so late with such low stats, actually getting him the levels to reach Dread Fighter is a major hassle.

These are admittingly all from a single Normal/Hard playthrough of each game:

FE6: Wendy/Gwendolyn , Armor Knight that gets one rounded by archers, in her joining chapter, she has all the downsides of an Armor Knight without the actual advantages.

FE7: Since I didn't get Karla, I'll just say Wallace, he re-joins so late that it really hurts him as a unit.

Awakening: Donnel, is there any question? He's literally so bad it makes Chrom look like even more of an idiot for convincing him to fight, you know you suck when you actively make the Main Lord look like an moron for thinking you can fight.

Echoes: Mycen, Jagen with the worst availability, joking aside he just sorta exists and joins painfully late.

Edited by Samz707

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

FE6: Wendy/Gwendolyn , Armor Knight that gets one rounded by archers, in her joining chapter, she has all the downsides of an Armor Knight without the actual advantages.

Does she actually get one rounded by Archers? Please tell me that's in HM at least xd It'd be beyond pathetic for an Armor Knight to get one rounded by an Archer in NM (although it's still plenty pathetic that they one round her in HM).