Worst unit in each game?

FailWood

13 hours ago, FailWood said:

I sometimes forget that Tonics are a thing.  The issue I have with using Mozu's paralogue as an example for Birthright specifically is that it's very front loaded with units, and out of everyone who joins early, Setsuna is the last unit I would consider using that paralogue to level up.  I'd rather use it level up Mozu herself or Hayato.

Yeah, to be clear, it's totally fair to not use Setsuna. I agree she's one of the weaker units. But when I did use her, I found her surprisingly usable.

I personally prefer using her to Mozu in Birthright (as mentioned, Mozu is much more tempting in Conquest). They're pretty similar, but Setsuna starts two levels higher (with better str/spd/hit), a bow rank higher, and most importantly she doesn't consume a valuable earlygame Heart Seal. Mozu's advantage is better stats long-term due to growths, but because Quick Draw + Uncertain Blow exist, in practice their long-term value is about the same: reliably double and kill one enemy on player phase, then not much enemy phase to speak of.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

But when I did use her, I found her surprisingly usable.

Anytime I've tried using Setsuna, her levels are mostly either HP and Speed or just Speed.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I personally prefer using her to Mozu in Birthright (as mentioned, Mozu is much more tempting in Conquest). They're pretty similar, but Setsuna starts two levels higher (with better str/spd/hit), a bow rank higher, and most importantly she doesn't consume a valuable earlygame Heart Seal. Mozu's advantage is better stats long-term due to growths, but because Quick Draw + Uncertain Blow exist, in practice their long-term value is about the same: reliably double and kill one enemy on player phase, then not much enemy phase to speak of.

If I use Mozu at all these days, it's in Rev.  She faces no real competition for EXP in her paralogue or in chapter 8, and the units you do have at that point (Corrin, Azura, Felicia/Jakob, and Gunter) make a great team for helping getting her kills or chip EXP.

I've never tried Archer Mozu, as I very rarely use Heart Seals.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Good thing Setsuna's default class line learns an ability that gives her +40 hit, eh? Along with an earlier one which effectively gives her +4 str. On an almost purely player phase character, these pretty much render all of her stats irrelevant except for... you guessed it, her good speed.

Setsuna's skill isn't that important. Let's suppose, for sake of argument, her skill growth was buffed by 20%, giving her one of the better skill growths in the game. By the time she gains 20 levels, this NewAndImproved!Setsuna would lead OG Setsuna in Hit by... 6. I mention 21 levels, because with her 21st level she learns Uncertain Blow so who cares past that. Skill just isn't a very important stat in Fates.

I still don't think Setsuna is wonderful, because yeah Takumi and Reina are both largely better - Setsuna faces the same problems as Birthright Mozu in that there are other characters who fill her niche without her shaky start. But if you do use her, she turns out fine.

You talk as though that makes all her problems go away like magic. Anyways, if her performance before then is generally crappy thanks to accuracy issues and not doing enough damage to make up for it except against mages, which she has issues hitting thanks to WTD, and she only really starts putting in work AFTER then... well, it's saying something that I have to drag her all the way to level 5 Sniper just for her to be decent. It doesn't help that her levels are mostly just speed, or Speed and one or two other stats - something I find very frustrating when having only one or two good stats tends to be a recipe for disaster because the impact that the strong stat(s) would have ends up being limited by the weaker stats (Atlas in Shadows of Valentia is pretty much the sole exception to this because of the way said game works).

On 5/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

23 hours ago, FailWood said:

If I use Mozu at all these days, it's in Rev.  She faces no real competition for EXP in her paralogue or in chapter 8, and the units you do have at that point (Corrin, Azura, Felicia/Jakob, and Gunter) make a great team for helping getting her kills or chip EXP.

I've never tried Archer Mozu, as I very rarely use Heart Seals.

Honestly, even in Conquest, investing in Mozu is a hard sell imho. 

RE: Revelation, I find it hard to justify grabbing her off the bat because she won't really help make chapter 8 easier. Especially on Lunatic, where she is one-shotted by the Faceless in her joining chapter.

Edited by Shadow Mir