Special Heroes (Ninja Training)

Ghostface233

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks for clarifying that it was a joke. It can be hard to tell with people actually having that kind of stance out there. And it's not really that I've come across Shinon-haters so much as this sort of reasoning is all too rampant online regarding accusing actual people of being racist when such behavior wasn't even displayed. Not at me personally, by the way, but I've seen some dumb stuff on the topic and was unsure of if it was coming up again. Ah, and I can't actually recall Soren ever being racist. I recall him being mistrusting and scathing of just about anyone and everyone, though.

Yup. This.

Don't worry, I should apoligize if the joke wasn't clear enough. It's often the fault of both the speaker and the listener when there's a misunderstanding.

About Soren being racist. In PoR the first time Lethe and Mordecai show up to save the Greil mercenaries and guide them to safety in Gallia, Soren has the brilliant idea of antagonizing two powerful Laguz warrriors, daring them to attack him and also dropping the equivalent of the n-word unprovoked. 

Outside of Jill and the literal villains, no character acts anywhere near that level of racism in the two games. It serves as a clue to his backstory as an half-breed, so there's some justification, but it's still a pretty impressive showing from Soren.

For comparison's sake, Petrine who has the same exact Freudian excuse as him never acts THAT racist and she is a villain.

And yet Shinon became the character to meme over for being the CEO of Racism. The fanbase works in mysterious ways.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

You commented all the characters added except the actual HYPE pick that is Ninja Elise with her outfit from Cipher, smh.

But seriously I love when this game pulls from Cipher original stuff. It's a way to keep the memory of it alive.

Finally, someone else who gets it! Ninja Elise let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Even if I didn't know that, it would still be awesome. The Hoshido/Nohr switch-up cards are some of the coolest I've seen in terms of concept. Same goes for Female Corrin btw.

21 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Finally, someone else who gets it! Ninja Elise let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Even if I didn't know that, it would still be awesome. The Hoshido/Nohr switch-up cards are some of the coolest I've seen in terms of concept. Same goes for Female Corrin btw.

Ah, a fellow person of culture. I personally don't mind at all the absence of hoshidans in the Ninja banner. It's way more interesting to see them in classes exclusive to Nohr anyway.

I like maid Kagero a lot for example. More of that IS.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We get philanderers in practically every game, we get the occasional pickpocket thief, AnnAvarice is nowadays, Fates gave us Peri and the courtesan that is Charlotte, what's the problem with one arrant snob?  

To be fair the entire point of Charlotte's character is that people fall in love with her for the fierce warrior she really is, not for her fake cutesy act. It's a pretty cut and dry lesson in being yourself because faking to be something else won't get you anything good like you foolishly think it will. At the end of her character arc she changes for the better, which puts her closer to someone like Jill, Lorenz and reformed villains like Aversa rather than assh*oles who never really change their ugly ways like Makalov and Anna.

Edited by GrandeRampel

30 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Don't worry, I should apoligize if the joke wasn't clear enough. It's often the fault of both the speaker and the listener when there's a misunderstanding.

About Soren being racist. In PoR the first time Lethe and Mordecai show up to save the Greil mercenaries and guide them to safety in Gallia, Soren has the brilliant idea of antagonizing two powerful Laguz warrriors, daring them to attack him and also dropping the equivalent of the n-word unprovoked. 

Outside of Jill and the literal villains, no character acts anywhere near that level of racism in the two games. It serves as a clue to his backstory as an half-breed, so there's some justification, but it's still a pretty impressive showing from Soren.

For comparison's sake, Petrine who has the same exact Freudian excuse as him never acts THAT racist and she is a villain.

And yet Shinon became the character to meme over for being the CEO of Racism. The fanbase works in mysterious ways.

I think Soren mostly gets a pass because its his only moment where he is truly vocal about it. After Ike tells him to tone it down he mostly keeps it to himself. So its pretty easy to forget about his racist outburst. 

Other then the meme factor I mostly think its just that Radiant Dawn doesn't do Shinon any favours in that area. Other characters soften a bit, but Shinon's last scene with a laguz is him still using the sub human label and complaining about how Kyza is even worse then your avarage sub human for 'pretending' to be just like a beorc. 

But anyway back to ninja's. I always did like the cultural exchange part of fates and Heroes. I found it a shame that Cipher was canceled before all the Nohrian/Hoshidan princes got a chance to dress up in the gear of their counterparts. I believe Hinoka, Siegbert and Shiro never got the chance.

Edited by Sasori

1 minute ago, GrandeRampel said:

To be fair the entire point of Charlotte's character is that people fall in love with her for the fierce warrior she really is, not for her fake cutesy act. It's a pretty cut and dey lesson in being yourself because faking to be something else won't get you anything good like you think. At the end of her character arc she changes for the better, which puts her closer to someone like Jill and reformed villains like Aversa rather than assh*oles who never really change their ugly ways like Makalov and Anna.

Oh, sorry, my mistake.😅

1 minute ago, GrandeRampel said:

Ah, a fellow person of culture. I personally don't mind at all the absence of hoshidans in the Ninja banner. It's way more interesting to see them in classes exclusive to Nohr anyway.

Whats the likelihood of that though? Is there any seasonal that exists, or could be likely be invented to cover that, while not being unusual for almost nobody except the Hoshidans, b/c they're one of the very few non-European-influenced FE groups around (and Saceans, and maybe the Issachans)? 

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I hope the Winter/Christmas Harmonic includes Blazing Blade, at least. And I still hold out hope that Brom will get that Santa alt.

I had been really hoping for an FE7 Christmas Banner, but I guess if there are any units from it they’ll have to share. Still weird to me that Lynja is the only alt that game has gotten since 2019 unless you count backup Ninian, and more than a year since any at all.

Possible spoilers!

Spoiler

If the recent leak is correct then Lilina will be on the Christmas banner, making a Roy/Eliwood harmonic somewhat likely. I kind of expect it to be Valentine’s 2018 part 2. Which means the non lord characters will get shafted again and Lyn will win the race to 8 alts. I would probably still be happy with it though, sounds adorable.

To actually talk about this banner.

Igrene is a character I like but I’m not super jazzed about the art and I don’t think I’ll pull for her. Shamir would have been a toss-up but she’s free and so am I! Don’t like Shinon, don’t care about Corrin or Elise, don’t care for the ninja look. Overall a pretty easy skip for me although I might try and get the demote.

Good luck to anyone pulling!

42 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

It's sad how few people get that concept at the top of your post. Thanks, bro; you're pretty cool. 🙂

As for Soren, I don't see how that's really any different from how he treats humans. He's basically operating out of "I'm not letting myself be vulnerable so I'll lash out first and I don't trust anyone anyway (except for the very few people who have proven I can trust them and I'm going to cling to them for everything because I am emotionally dependent on them (especially Ike) because I'm emotionally extremely frail and socially underdeveloped.)" So, it's kind of because of his past, but only to the extent that his past shaped him through trauma. I think the far more revealing line was when he talked about how he could see what the war's aftermath would do to the Crimeans, but they'll "get no sympathy from him" (primarily because, as he said, they'll pretend like nothing bad is happening when other people need their help.) Basically, he has no faith in anyone outside of those he's decided to be emotionally dependent on. Given what happened to him when he was a kid, it's no wonder he lost faith in humanity...until a certain compassionate and protective sort who just sees people as people, no matter where they come from, decided to be his friend, anyway. He may have closed his heart forever if not for that moment. That's where his psychology was going, anyway.

Edit: Ah, I meant to say this, but I forgot to include it. Also, Soren's suspicious of everyone until said person proves not to be a threat. So, basically, everyone is the enemy until proven otherwise, in his mind. This is especially if he feels his emotional support person is at risk, so he gets more acerbic when that happens.

Edited by Mercakete

7 minutes ago, TuxedoBird said:

Possible spoilers!

Reveal hidden contents

If the recent leak is correct then Lilina will be on the Christmas banner, making a Roy/Eliwood harmonic somewhat likely. I kind of expect it to be Valentine’s 2018 part 2. Which means the non lord characters will get shafted again and Lyn will win the race to 8 alts. I would probably still be happy with it though, sounds adorable.

Spoiler

Adorable maybe, but I hope that won't end up being the case. Roy hasn't had any luck with alts so I was hoping he'd get a seasonal alt for a while. Any seasonal alt....except a christmas alt.

I'm kinda done with the interchangeable red santa outfits and I really don't want one of my favourites in those.

Edited by Sasori

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whats the likelihood of that though? Is there any seasonal that exists, or could be likely be invented to cover that, while not being unusual for almost nobody except the Hoshidans, b/c they're one of the very few non-European-influenced FE groups around (and Saceans, and maybe the Issachans)? 

Well we could get Maid and Butlers who used to be a Nohrian thing (now it's also a Three Houses thing) or they could do a festival in Nohr similar to the Plegian banner or the Festival in Hoshido dance banner.

@Mercakete

Okay, we may be getting into way more complicated stuff than inteded but IMHO there's a limit to how much something can be excused as "he is an edgelord/asshole towards everyone".

And that limit is when you say something incredibly sexist or racist when you could have just insulted the other person in a normal way instead of such a specifically scummy way. When Soren insults Mordecai, he doesn't accuse him of being "selfish like all the others", "willing to betray them for his own gains" or something equally nihilistic as usual. He drops a slur and tries to attact him for no reason. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think Soren tried to attack the beorc villagers after berating them for being selfish pricks. The difference is entirely there.

If the way Soren acted in that situation isn't racism than what is racism? What differentiates racism from just being mean to someone?

There's a reason Ike told Soren to cut that shit immediately and never speak that way again, but let's him say what he wants in other occasions. The other occasions were just Soren being himself, that one occasion was Soren being himself + being a huge racist.

8 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Okay, we may be getting into way more complicated stuff than inteded but IMHO there's a limit to how much something can be excused as "he is an edgelord/asshole towards everyone".

And that limit is when you say something incredibly sexist or racist when you could have just insulted the other person in a normal way instead of such a specifically scummy way. When Soren insults Mordecai, he doesn't accuse him of being "selfish like all the others", "willing to betray them for his own gains" or something equally nihilistic as usual. He drops a slur and tries to attact him for no reason. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think Soren tried to attack the beorc villagers after berating them for being selfish pricks. The difference is entirely there.

If the way Soren acted in that situation isn't racism than what is racism? What differentiates racism from just being mean to someone?

There's a reason Ike told Soren to cut that shit immediately and never speak that way again, but let's him say what he wants in other occasions. The other occasions were just Soren being himself, that one occasion was Soren being himself + being a huge racist.

True, he didn't attack the villagers, but the reason he tried to attack Lethe and Mordecai was because he thought Ike was in danger/thought they hurt Ike (I can't remember which right now.) Ike had to call him off. Normally, Soren just keeps his distance, but he does violence for a living and isn't the most compassionate of the mercenaries. So, when his emotional support person came under threat, he reacted. Also, I'm not sure if he knew it was a slur (like how Ike didn't at that time; they're about the same age and mostly grew up in the same environment after Soren's horrific early childhood.) Basically, you need to be able to identify why someone does or says what they do. Someone isn't a racist for using a racial slur once. Any "-ist" is indicative of a mental state which results in consistent behavior. I'm not saying Soren should be excused because of his past, I'm saying that he isn't displaying a racist mindset so much as just being prickly to everyone and emotionally dependent on a handful of people (especially Ike.) In short, the source of that outburst wasn't racism, even if the actions were racist. You see what I'm saying?

31 minutes ago, Sasori said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Adorable maybe, but I hope that won't end up being the case. Roy hasn't had any luck with alts so I was hoping he'd get a seasonal alt for a while. Any seasonal alt....except a christmas alt.

I'm kinda done with the interchangeable red santa outfits and I really don't want one of my favourites in those.

I can understand that. I did like Sephiran’s priest-ish garb in the last Christmas banner but there is a glut of just variations on the red Santa outfit when they could easily get more creative. Like imagine a Christmas banner based on The Nutcracker ballet for instance!

Spoiler

The leak did specify Christmas Lilina in blue so, maybe something new? Probably not though.

12 minutes ago, TuxedoBird said:

I can understand that. I did like Sephiran’s priest-ish garb in the last Christmas banner but there is a glut of just variations on the red Santa outfit when they could easily get more creative. Like imagine a Christmas banner based on The Nutcracker ballet for instance!

Reveal hidden contents

The leak did specify Christmas Lilina in blue so, maybe something new? Probably not though.

Before Freyr got his summer alt (and actually, before the last Christmas banner), I expected a sort of "Father Christmas" outfit for him. Now that he's in the game, though, I don't expect IS to take advantage of having a horned character who could rock the robes.

2 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

True, he didn't attack the villagers, but the reason he tried to attack Lethe and Mordecai was because he thought Ike was in danger/thought they hurt Ike (I can't remember which right now.) Ike had to call him off. Normally, Soren just keeps his distance, but he does violence for a living and isn't the most compassionate of the mercenaries. So, when his emotional support person came under threat, he reacted. Also, I'm not sure if he knew it was a slur (like how Ike didn't at that time; they're about the same age and mostly grew up in the same environment after Soren's horrific early childhood.) Basically, you need to be able to identify why someone does or says what they do. Someone isn't a racist for using a racial slur once. Any "-ist" is indicative of a mental state which results in consistent behavior. I'm not saying Soren should be excused because of his past, I'm saying that he isn't displaying a racist mindset so much as just being prickly to everyone and emotionally dependent on a handful of people (especially Ike.) In short, the source of that outburst wasn't racism, even if the actions were racist. You see what I'm saying?

I mean.. I guess it's possible that Soren didn't know it was a slur. A bit strange since he is the thinker of the group, knows the world way more than Ike (he actually leaves the mercenaries at the beginning of the game to go study for a little while or something) and as a Branded he has a built-in understanding of racism since he suffered from it directly.

I really don't get why you think the fact Soren doesn't open up to anyone but Ike means he can't possibly be racist. He can be two things at once.

It's not like rotten mentalities such as "I don't trust anyone other than my closest friends. People are all scumbags out to get me. ESPECIALLY Muslims" are uncommon in the real world. Someone can have trouble socializing for deep personal issues and ALSO hate a specific race for the same issues or correlated ones.

And you have to remember that Soren isn't real. He is a character and all of his scenes were written with a goal in mind: to further the plot and the themes of the game, as well as flesh out his character.

What is that scene in which we see the Laguz for the first time meant to teach the players? That racism towards the Laguz is a big problem.

"Look, even Soren is racist towards them. Just like Shinon before when he called them beasts. Oh no, even the good guys are racists towards them". And then a scene shortly after "oh no, Lethe is racist towards humans, and she is also one of the good guys. It's a widespread problem."

Racism is like THE theme of the Tellius duology, and the devs had a limited number of chapters to develop that theme. So if an action CAN be interpreted as racist, that was probably the writers' intent. Personally after seeing Soren's supports I connected the dots and went "OH, that explains why he was racist. Poor Soren", but you seem to have gotten the opposite impression, that his backstory explains why he wasn't racist.

At the end of the day, that scene was the first major example of racism being shown to us, so it was kind of an important moment.

What do you find more likely, that the devs wanted to introduce the theme by showing us a good guy being racist, or by showing us a good guy being racist on accident? To me the former not only seems more likely, but also makes the story more nuanced and interesting. One interpretation shows that a character has a flaw and needs to get over his prejudice (prejudice with a given explanation no less). The other shows that a character said the wrong thing on accident and made a clown of himself.

TBH you are the first person I met that doesn't think Soren was racist, so if nothing else it's good to see my beliefs challenged. It gave me an excuse to re-examine the character and put down my reading of him into words. I hope, I'm not coming off as annoying or anything since my responses keep getting longer. I really hope this doesn't turn into a confrontation. If someone thinks it's turning into one I'm dropping the thread. There are better topics to turn into heated arguments than the possible malicious intent behind a fictional character's actions.

Soren definitely has a bias against laguz in particular (in addition to his misanthropy), but I could see the argument that it's for "less racist" reasons than what we typically associate with racism, in that his prejudice seems to come from experience rather than from an ideology that beorc are superior. From that angle, someone like Shinon, who iirc calls them savages and beasts in the conversation where we learn about their existence, comes off as worse.

...but I'm very happy to see him in this banner. 😁 Especially since they didn't artist-demote him, thank you for your work Wada Sachiko~

(On the other hand, F!Corrin's legendary was a fluke and her regular versions are still stuck with that overly shiny and trying too hard to be pretty artstyle, a shame, I had hope... and cuboon, despite how pretty his art is, refuses to learn about anatomy, huh. It's getting comical.)

8 minutes ago, Kori said:

Soren definitely has a bias against laguz in particular (in addition to his misanthropy), but I could see the argument that it's for "less racist" reasons than what we typically associate with racism, in that his prejudice seems to come from experience rather than from an ideology that beorc are superior. From that angle, someone like Shinon, who iirc calls them savages and beasts in the conversation where we learn about their existence, comes off as worse.

Eh, I'm not sure if that's the real problem with Shinon. I think is lack of growth in Radiant Dawn is the biggest problem compared to his casual racism. Definitely one of the places where RD's writers dropped the ball.

11 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Eh, I'm not sure if that's the real problem with Shinon. I think is lack of growth in Radiant Dawn is the biggest problem compared to his casual racism. Definitely one of the places where RD's writers dropped the ball.

I haven't gotten to RD yet, so I'll take your word on that. Too bad, though.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

I mean.. I guess it's possible that Soren didn't know it was a slur. A bit strange since he is the thinker of the group, knows the world way more than Ike (he actually leaves the mercenaries at the beginning of the game to go study for a little while or something) and as a Branded he has a built-in understanding of racism since he suffered from it directly.

I really don't get why you think the fact Soren doesn't open up to anyone but Ike means he can't possibly be racist. He can be two things at once.

It's not like rotten mentalities such as "I don't trust anyone other than my closest friends. People are all scumbags out to get me. ESPECIALLY Muslims" are uncommon in the real world. Someone can have trouble socializing for deep personal issues and ALSO hate a specific race for the same issues or correlated ones.

And you have to remember that Soren isn't real. He is a character and all of his scenes were written with a goal in mind: to further the plot and the themes of the game, as well as flesh out his character.

What is that scene in which we see the Laguz for the first time meant to teach the players? That racism towards the Laguz is a big problem.

"Look, even Soren is racist towards them. Just like Shinon before when he called them beasts. Oh no, even the good guys are racists towards them". And then a scene shortly after "oh no, Lethe is racist towards humans, and she is also one of the good guys. It's a widespread problem."

Racism is like THE theme of the Tellius duology, and the devs had a limited number of chapters to develop that theme. So if an action CAN be interpreted as racist, that was probably the writers' intent. Personally after seeing Soren's supports I connected the dots and went "OH, that explains why he was racist. Poor Soren", but you seem to have gotten the opposite impression, that his backstory explains why he wasn't racist.

At the end of the day, that scene was the first major example of racism being shown to us, so it was kind of an important moment.

What do you find more likely, that the devs wanted to introduce the theme by showing us a good guy being racist, or by showing us a good guy being racist on accident? To me the former not only seems more likely, but also makes the story more nuanced and interesting. One interpretation shows that a character has a flaw and needs to get over his prejudice (prejudice with a given explanation no less). The other shows that a character said the wrong thing on accident and made a clown of himself.

TBH you are the first person I met that doesn't think Soren was racist, so if nothing else it's good to see my beliefs challenged. It gave me an excuse to re-examine the character and put down my reading of him into words. I hope, I'm not coming off as annoying or anything since my responses keep getting longer. I really hope this doesn't turn into a confrontation. If someone thinks it's turning into one I'm dropping the thread. There are better topics to turn into heated arguments than the possible malicious intent behind a fictional character's actions.

To be fair, he didn't actually suffer from racism so much as exploitation, abuse, and multiple forms of neglect. Also, I never claimed that Soren can't be racist; I just said that I don't believe he is. That is, I don't believe he has the belief that Laguz are inferior to Beorc as an ideology in the first place, let alone consistently acts on it. And to clarify, it's possible that he only knew that the term was unfavorable instead of knowing its full implication/impact as a slur. Kind of like when a child learns a swear word. They may not know exactly what implications the word carries and only know that it's offensive in general. You make a good point about Soren's world experience, though. In addition, it's entirely possible that he didn't have much exposure to Laguz, and so only really picked up what meaning the word had from other people's idea of it.

As for the writers, who knows what they were thinking when they wrote all this? When I write, I "listen" for what the character him/herself says and then just put it to paper. I see a lot of evidence for Soren not being racist by the definition of "characterized by racism" as a character trait (hence "a racist" as opposed to "displayed racism once.") And remember that all this stems from that claim. And, well, too often people call other people racists for all kinds of reasons, and I find that most people don't actually know what a racist really is. It's a terrible mindset, believing that someone is superior in value to someone else based only on genetics, and it's an accusation that shouldn't be lightly thrown around.

And to be clear, I'm not upset or anything. I think all this was basically just an exercise in character analysis and definition clarification. Always a pleasure to explore topics with you. 🙂

But, yeah, this has gone a bit off-topic and is only barely still about the banner (banner->Shinon->racism.) I'd be happy to continue the discussion over PM if you have any other points you'd like to make; I don't like shutting people down with a sort of "I get the last word" situation, even if it's unintentional or circumstantial.

@eclipse

I was already working on this post when you posted so I thought I'd finish it, but I'm guessing that was a hint to drop the topic? I'm not 100% sure about it, but...you also brought up something that made me start thinking. If Soren was on the banner, I wonder what he'd look like... Maybe something based on his archsage robes would be cool: white and flowing, with black details. And he'd finally get Adept represented in his weapon since all these weapons have a brave effect built in.

8 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I was already working on this post when you posted so I thought I'd finish it, but I'm guessing that was a hint to drop the topic? I'm not 100% sure about it, but...you also brought up something that made me start thinking. If Soren was on the banner, I wonder what he'd look like... Maybe something based on his archsage robes would be cool: white and flowing, with black details. And he'd finally get Adept represented in his weapon since all these weapons have a brave effect built in.

Yes.  Drop it.  Now.

If we need something relevant to talk about, how about all them blue 4* Focus units? M!Corrin is the 11th blue 4* Focus Special Hero when the other three colors have 5 (red), 4 (green), and 3 (colorless).

When we get the Year 5 Special Hero Summon next year, blue will have six 4* Focus units (from Minerva to M!Corrin) out of eleven units currently. Blue also only has one Duo (Sothis & M!Byleth) and no Harmonic at this point. So yeah, avoid blue at all costs for that freebie pull unless you enjoy walking through minefields.

19 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

If we need something relevant to talk about, how about all them blue 4* Focus units? M!Corrin is the 11th blue 4* Focus Special Hero when the other three colors have 5 (red), 4 (green), and 3 (colorless).

When we get the Year 5 Special Hero Summon next year, blue will have six 4* Focus units (from Minerva to M!Corrin) out of eleven units currently. Blue also only has one Duo (Sothis & M!Byleth) and no Harmonic at this point. So yeah, avoid blue at all costs for that freebie pull unless you enjoy walking through minefields.

Are you kidding?!  I'm gonna be fishing for blue, because I have plans for Corrin's lance!  And Special Spiral, I can think of quite a few units who would appreciate it!  Furthermore, it means I can get other cool skills for my guys.  I live for those demotes!

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Oh wow, that's weird.

42 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Are you kidding?!  I'm gonna be fishing for blue, because I have plans for Corrin's lance!  And Special Spiral, I can think of quite a few units who would appreciate it!  Furthermore, it means I can get other cool skills for my guys.  I live for those demotes!

I'm definitely going for Corrin here, but it does mean blue on the "random 5* seasonal" pull will be pretty bad odds.