So I Want To Be a War Hero...

GeoOfAkaneia

I've decided to make FE3 Mystery of the Emblem my first true Game of the series 

I'm gonna play the fan translation on my SNES sometime.

I think since it has Marths game and it's sequel as two games in one, and being more simple would be a good starting point for me. Book 1 Together We Ride is a great music track.

If anyone has any warnings about FE3;may you guys help a noob out?

The other reason is because Marth and Roy made me want to play FE when 6 year old me played Melee.

I want to see how the series evolved over time.

But I do want to try the next two games Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776.

I hear they are quite difficult..

Then I was gonna play Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones. Since I have them on Wii U

Then try the 3DS games Echoes Awakening and Fates

I hope I see a very unique perspective going from the series in this order

Does the order you play these games drastically affect a fans perspective?

I'd love to know what a noob would think starting with the 3 SNES titles.

Thanks everyone!

Okay, so choosing Mystery out of the SNES titles is probably the best way to ease into Kaga FE. Some things to mention include that weapon weight just reduces unit speed, this game has no weapon triangle as it was made in Genealogy, doubling enemies is calculated as one unit have 3+ speed more than the enemy (this includes weapon weight), the axe bros can't promote, this game has ambush spawns (which are enemies that show up at the start of an enemy phase and immediately attack) and I'm just going to link a guide to hidden items in Book II. Go ahead and ask if there's anything else.

Genealogy and Thracia are certainly not as easy, but these aren't all about stats. I played these before MotE and Thracia in particular was rough at times.

4 hours ago, GeoOfAkaneia said:

Does the order you play these games drastically affect a fans perspective?

I do think it can have some impact imo, but I haven't made a deep analysis of it.

I'm gonna be playing on a real cart put in English

But Eclipse reprimanded me for sharing the modder as he does his service for a fee.

Advertising even to help fellow fans ain't allowed here.

So I can't elaborate any further

Late but something you should be aware of is that FE3 has a notoriously annoying dismount system. Game doesn't really ease you into it and its implementation via game design outside of a section of chapter 1 of Book 2.

Dismounting is a gimmick added to FE3 where you can have mounted units (Cavalier, Pegasus knights, etc) dismount and walk around on foot. While dismounted the unit are all changed to the "knight" class which can only equip swords besides the "Horseman" class which instead is changed into a Hunter (Hunter is a separate class that's units can be promoted/upgraded into a Horseman). When dismounted have a reduced mov stat but (in the case of cavalry) can better travel over mountains and forests.

The main idea behind it is immersion with no horses being ridden around indoors, nerfing the very powerful cavalry classes, and giving horse units the ability to cross mountains and forests. Sounds cool but there are problems, namely...

• Units are now locked to swords, which really suck unless you have high strength and agility or that sword is a Levin Sword (sword that attacks with magic damage). Doesn't help that some of these units already don't have a fantastic damage output when they join. You're probably gonna end up using Cain, Abel, Hardin, Jagen and maybe a promoted Castor though in terms of hoses assuming none of them die
  • Makes it so only armored knights and generals can wield lances indoors, which is an annoyance since a lance is the best weapon in the game and said lance is iconic in the series
  • It requires you waste a turn when dismounting and (iirc) mounting as doing so ends that specific units turn.

Basically just, be aware dismounting is a thing. It's not AS dumb as it is in other games but it can be annoying.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Pretty sure you have to beat Book 1 without anyone dying to access Book 2.

Star Force is cool, by the way.

Could have sworn I had the option to start book 2 from the beginning last I played it. Been a long time though I guess.

3 hours ago, CatManThree said:

Late but something you should be aware of is that FE3 has a notoriously annoying dismount system. Game doesn't really ease you into it and its implementation via game design outside of a section of chapter 1 of Book 2.

Dismounting is a gimmick added to FE3 where you can have mounted units (Cavalier, Pegasus knights, etc) dismount and walk around on foot. While dismounted the unit are all changed to the "knight" class which can only equip swords besides the "Horseman" class which instead is changed into a Hunter (Hunter is a separate class that's units can be promoted/upgraded into a Horseman). When dismounted have a reduced mov stat but (in the case of cavalry) can better travel over mountains and forests.

The main idea behind it is immersion with no horses being ridden around indoors, nerfing the very powerful cavalry classes, and giving horse units the ability to cross mountains and forests. Sounds cool but there are problems, namely...

• Units are now locked to swords, which really suck unless you have high strength and agility or that sword is a Levin Sword (sword that attacks with magic damage). Doesn't help that some of these units already don't have a fantastic damage output when they join. You're probably gonna end up using Cain, Abel, Hardin, Jagen and maybe a promoted Castor though in terms of hoses assuming none of them die
  • Makes it so only armored knights and generals can wield lances indoors, which is an annoyance since a lance is the best weapon in the game and said lance is iconic in the series
  • It requires you waste a turn when dismounting and (iirc) mounting as doing so ends that specific units turn.

Basically just, be aware dismounting is a thing. It's not AS dumb as it is in other games but it can be annoying.

Thanks. Hey if this is my first FE game maybe it won't be as annoying I hear dismounting is a mixed bag from game to game.

I'm personally up for a challenge.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Pretty sure you have to beat Book 1 without anyone dying to access Book 2.

Star Force is cool, by the way.

No, you can access Book 2 at any time. There is an better ending if you manage to beat Book 1 without anyone dying, chose to continue on to Book 2 from that save, and then complete that game as well with no losses, which might be what you were thinking of.

34 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

No, you can access Book 2 at any time. There is an better ending if you manage to beat Book 1 without anyone dying, chose to continue on to Book 2 from that save, and then complete that game as well with no losses, which might be what you were thinking of.

Yeah, that sounds like something I'd confuse for that. Thanks for clarifying.