Would anyone be interested in participating in a new Write Your Butt Off competition?

Benice

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Write Your Butt Off (WYBO), it's a monthly writing competition that's been active on the forum three seperate times. It is completely and totally for fun, as well as to recieve feedback and talk shop with other writers. It follows a format of a two weeks writing period, a one week voting/feedback period, and one week of nothing, with the winner choosing a prompt for the next month, and we do it all over again!

Despite my more than spotty participation rate in the most recent WYBO, I quite enjoyed my time there for the most part, and it was nice to read the work of other creators. It's been a fairly long time since the last WYBO ended, and I was wondering if there would be anyone willing to participate if we were to bring it oit of hiatus? There are a few key members of the thread who have since been inactive here in the forums, but I would love to see the rise of a fourth era of WYBO.

Edited by Benice

I think AnonymousSpeed was looking into doing this as well, just so you know. Either-or I'm down, though I don't know for sure how active I can be as most of my writing has...taken a break, for lack of a better phrase.

Yeah, WYBO was cool, and I've been meaning to get back into writing. I think it strangely enough hurt everyone's drive to be locked inside all the time, but now that things are a little more normal (I'm working at least) and the crunch is back on, I think another round has a chance of getting steam behind it.

I hereby submit my support for WYBO III...which is the fourth one...hm...

9 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I've never participated in one of these, but I think I'd like to take a crack at it. Consider my endorsement tentative, though, since I'm not sure if I'd have the time or drive to do it.

Hey, I said I would participate, like, eight months in a row but only submitted two entries during that period.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I hereby submit my support for WYBO III...which is the fourth one...hm...

We are turning into Kingdom Hearts, Lanta help us.

Edited by Benice

I'd definitely stick around at least. As with the previous WYBO, I might not actually participate much if at all. Writing on deadlines, or just deadlines in general, just stress me too much.

1 hour ago, Clear World said:

I want to say yes... but I don't know how long I could maintain doing this.

So just post when you can, that’s how most of us did it for the last two versions.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

You are not prepared for the ultimate villain of WYBO, Writeyourassoffaroth, the One Winging It Writer.

/slowclapping

23 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I've never participated in one of these, but I think I'd like to take a crack at it. Consider my endorsement tentative, though, since I'm not sure if I'd have the time or drive to do it

19 hours ago, Clear World said:

So I guess I will say yes then. I will try to be active.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Interested, yes, most definitely. Able to guarantee I'll be able to post frequently...well not guarantee, but I really hope I can.

I couldn't find the exact right words to say it, so I just quoted others who read my mind. For me its exactly this too.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

@Benice By the way, the name shouldn't be WYBO 3, but WYBO HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue.

Wait what!? There are four spin off WYBO spread across five different sites that are all vital to know while participate in this one! How does anyone keep up with this? 

One thing for sure, the fist prompt should be the last one from the previous thread, since it never really panned out.

Also because it's my first and only prompt I've ever made so like heck I'm letting it go to waste!

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

One thing for sure, the fist prompt should be the last one from the previous thread, since it never really panned out.

Also because it's my first and only prompt I've ever made so like heck I'm letting it go to waste!

I’d be down for this

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't know what the prompt is, but that sounds fair.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

So, when we droppin' boys?

I was planning on doing it this evening, actually! Once I get home from school at least. It'll make things a tad scuffed for the December prompt, but I didn't wanna start the cycle on, say, a tuesday or something.

plus I was semi-hoping that someone would get impatient and make the thread before I could

speking of, which website did you use for the timers?

Nooooice.

Good plan, it's normally what I do.

48 minutes ago, Benice said:

speking of, which website did you use for the timers?

I used this one (https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create), but feel free to seek out alternatives.

Really should've made a script or something to generate timers faster, but I never did.

In the interest of keeping participation levels high, what would people say to the notion of removing the "prompt maker has to skip out on the week" rule? I can see the sense to the rule, someone has a distinct advantage if they're writing a prompt they themselves created and are interested in, and it also stops us from having the same winner each month, but I don't think any of us are exceptionally better (or active enough) to consistently dominate the contest, so it could be a way to guarantee an extra participant each week. Just a thought really.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

In the interest of keeping participation levels high, what would people say to the notion of removing the "prompt maker has to skip out on the week" rule? I can see the sense to the rule, someone has a distinct advantage if they're writing a prompt they themselves created and are interested in, and it also stops us from having the same winner each month, but I don't think any of us are exceptionally better (or active enough) to consistently dominate the contest, so it could be a way to guarantee an extra participant each week. Just a thought really.

As long as the prompt maker isn't also acting as the judge to decide the best piece, I don't think there's too much wrong with that. However, like you mentioned, they would have an advantage with the prompt. They could easily prepare what they want to write beforehand, which gives them an edge over other participants since they could have had way more time to prepare it and refine it (which, for a competition like this, seems a little trivial since it's just for fun, but I think it'd be better to honor the integrity of the system as it is. Basically, I wouldn't put it past someone like myself to do that if it means I can almost guarantee a win and get away with it... n-not that I would do that, of course! What a silly idea! Hahaha, nope, nothing suspicious about that!).

Anyway, in all seriousness, I did wanna ask, is the winner decided by a judge(s) or is it a democracy system where everyone votes? I ask because in games like Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity, the "judge" usually sits out for the round so they don't end up picking their own cards as the winning set. If it's a case like that, I would suggest having judges outside the competition to decide the prompt winner.