Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

Benice

On 7/4/2022 at 7:43 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Which is fine, since it'd make that one story that's about the Landings at Normandy all the more to stand out...

Considering you posted this on the 4th, I assume you're really hoping for someone to cover this.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Considering you posted this on the 4th, I assume you're really hoping for someone to cover this.

That thought never crossed my mind, actually. I'm not from the US, so the 4th of July is just my cousin's birthday and that's that.

No, it was just like, the first "not fanservice/summer/people-in-swimsuits" related thing I could think of.

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Alright, fine. I'll get some more warning points.

Do I dare ask, or just wait until you upload it? XD

@Acacia Sgt

Spoiler

I'm too lazy/rushed to look it up, was it you who wrote about Silque being turned into a fairy forever ago? This has a similar feel.

The concept greatly reminds me of the premise of the Shadows Over Innistrad set for Magic The Gathering, which is to say it's something that immediately has my interest once I know what it's about. That said, you've got some typos and redundancies that detract a little from the experience for me - right off the bat we have "lied a grove" instead of "lay a grove," and you use the word finally twice in rapid succession describing Silque fainting, just to throw some examples out.

There's not much to say regarding this other than that you certainly took the prompt in an interesting way, and I quite liked it.

Alright, regarding other commentaries:

On 6/29/2022 at 4:00 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

Yes I kind of get it, but as far as I can tell it's actually kinda different but sorta cool.

Still very close to Yu-Gi-Oh! though lol

ETA: I'm technically a Yugiboomer lol

Spoiler

Exceed is basically like if Street Fighter was a card game(SF was actually the third set released for Exceed), but I wanted to see if I could format an Exceed game like an episode of YGO and have it make sense to the outside observer. So far you're the only YGO player I've shown this to, so I'm glad to hear you got at least some of it.

Haha, we have a picture of me, my brother, and two of our cousins sitting in a pile of YGO cards from when I was like 8, the cousin the cards belonged to had the original Pegasus deck, and I remember seeing the original Joey deck at a store somewhere, so you're not alone. Modern YGO is comparatively awful if you ask me.

I also didn't have too much to say about your piece, it was interesting to see Grima moved into a more modern setting, but you have a tendency to swap names about in a way that makes me question whether this is Maribelle or another Maribelle who just so happens to share a name with Maribelle we're talking about so that was a little off-putting. I know your style enough to assume this is similar to how Robin is actually Robin's mother in ST, but the fact that I still have to check is a little bit of a detriment.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Hide contents

Gonna admit, my knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh! ain't that big, so a lot of it just... flew over my head. Certainly impacted my enjoyment of it. I'd want to say it was still good. Just... certainly not for me.

Spoiler

Exceed is a separate game from YGO, I just made the comparison because the whole thing was written like a scripted YGO duel from the show - complete with me going through a mockup game on the table to make sure everything worked - and so I figured a YGO player accustomed to written works in that style, like I assume Chloey is, would get it quicker than others. Thanks for the feedback, though, I was curious how someone with less previous card game experience would take it.

On 7/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

@SoulWeaver

Hide contents

I get the feeling this story is designed as an introduction to the fictional card game, but I still only kind of understand how it works. I'm not sure if that's more than I should have expected or less, because I'm not totally lost but I'm not totally confident either. It's mechanically interesting in a narrative way, if that makes sense- it's enjoyable enough to read it described, even if it does seem a bit like discount Battle Chip Challenge. Since it mostly focuses on the game, I don't have much to say about the characters. Since I have never played or watched Yugioh, I don't have much to say about that comparison.

Reveal hidden contents

The storm clouds above seemed to glow red, then a massive hand that appeared to be made of solid blood burst through the clouds and reached down for the screeching Dragon-Slayer. Ignoring the creature's frantic attempts to beat at it, the hand grasped it and dragged it into the heavens as David's opponent screamed in rage.

“NO, NO, NO!!! OUR CHANCE, OUR LAST CHANCE – AAAGH!”

As David and Emogine watched, startled, the man began to crumble and dissolve. He still screamed until there was nothing left.

This was absolutely horrifying, and I do not like that you put it in. Why must these card games contain infinite cosmic horror?

More reviews to come as I write them.

Spoiler

fictional card game

Excuse you sir. I'll have you know the Exceed community received this quite positively. I'm happy to get you links to the how-to-plays by some of the players if you prefer to have a better understanding, though I also certainly understand not wanting to.

Here are Iaquis(direct card images) and Emogine(conceptual character sheet by the artist responsible for the Seventh Cross artwork) for visual reference. It is frustratingly difficult to pull up individual card images without the discord, and I'm not on a computer I can do that with right now(plus I still have not figured out how to delete attachments on here so I can't upload the picture as anything but my profile pic), but if you go to the third picture on this page and look at the card on the right, you can see I was simply describing the attack in question. The gentleman dissolving was sort of a pseudo-reference - each of the characters is supposed to be similar in design to the Exceed fighter they use, and Iaquis is described as a "Revenant Samurai," meaning he's basically a walking corpse with a crapton of sharp things to hit people with, so the admittedly nebulous idea is that the Iaquis main is trying to return to life through beating all the other Spirit wielders, it's not a concrete idea so it came out weird.

I'll get to your Pickle story once I get myself back on track with the executions btw.

10 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

@Acacia Sgt

Reveal hidden contents

I'm too lazy/rushed to look it up, was it you who wrote about Silque being turned into a fairy forever ago? This has a similar feel.

The concept greatly reminds me of the premise of the Shadows Over Innistrad set for Magic The Gathering, which is to say it's something that immediately has my interest once I know what it's about. That said, you've got some typos and redundancies that detract a little from the experience for me - right off the bat we have "lied a grove" instead of "lay a grove," and you use the word finally twice in rapid succession describing Silque fainting, just to throw some examples out.

There's not much to say regarding this other than that you certainly took the prompt in an interesting way, and I quite liked it.

Alright, regarding other commentaries:

Reveal hidden contents

Exceed is basically like if Street Fighter was a card game(SF was actually the third set released for Exceed), but I wanted to see if I could format an Exceed game like an episode of YGO and have it make sense to the outside observer. So far you're the only YGO player I've shown this to, so I'm glad to hear you got at least some of it.

Haha, we have a picture of me, my brother, and two of our cousins sitting in a pile of YGO cards from when I was like 8, the cousin the cards belonged to had the original Pegasus deck, and I remember seeing the original Joey deck at a store somewhere, so you're not alone. Modern YGO is comparatively awful if you ask me.

I also didn't have too much to say about your piece, it was interesting to see Grima moved into a more modern setting, but you have a tendency to swap names about in a way that makes me question whether this is Maribelle or another Maribelle who just so happens to share a name with Maribelle we're talking about so that was a little off-putting. I know your style enough to assume this is similar to how Robin is actually Robin's mother in ST, but the fact that I still have to check is a little bit of a detriment.

Reveal hidden contents

Exceed is a separate game from YGO, I just made the comparison because the whole thing was written like a scripted YGO duel from the show - complete with me going through a mockup game on the table to make sure everything worked - and so I figured a YGO player accustomed to written works in that style, like I assume Chloey is, would get it quicker than others. Thanks for the feedback, though, I was curious how someone with less previous card game experience would take it.

Reveal hidden contents

Excuse you sir. I'll have you know the Exceed community received this quite positively. I'm happy to get you links to the how-to-plays by some of the players if you prefer to have a better understanding, though I also certainly understand not wanting to.

Here are Iaquis(direct card images) and Emogine(conceptual character sheet by the artist responsible for the Seventh Cross artwork) for visual reference. It is frustratingly difficult to pull up individual card images without the discord, and I'm not on a computer I can do that with right now(plus I still have not figured out how to delete attachments on here so I can't upload the picture as anything but my profile pic), but if you go to the third picture on this page and look at the card on the right, you can see I was simply describing the attack in question. The gentleman dissolving was sort of a pseudo-reference - each of the characters is supposed to be similar in design to the Exceed fighter they use, and Iaquis is described as a "Revenant Samurai," meaning he's basically a walking corpse with a crapton of sharp things to hit people with, so the admittedly nebulous idea is that the Iaquis main is trying to return to life through beating all the other Spirit wielders, it's not a concrete idea so it came out weird.

I'll get to your Pickle story once I get myself back on track with the executions btw.

It was the Maribelle who shared a name with the one we know.  Chrom's death a thousand years ago should have been a huge hint if you didn't miss it, especially for those who know Awakening well enough.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

23 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Do I dare ask, or just wait until you upload it? XD

Might be best to wait and see. You're from Mexico, so it might not be so egregious to you. Soul will probably like it.

20 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I also didn't have too much to say about your piece, it was interesting to see Grima moved into a more modern setting, but you have a tendency to swap names about in a way that makes me question whether this is Maribelle or another Maribelle who just so happens to share a name with Maribelle we're talking about so that was a little off-putting.

I actually kind of liked that. A little bit of cyclical history for the fans.

>hundreds of dollars in total merchandise

I want to vomit.

It is frustratingly difficult to pull up individual card images without the discord

Do you have...the discord?

I will wait with patience, but eagerness. I'm still very disturbed by the whole sky-hand-dissolving thing.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

>hundreds of dollars in total merchandise

I want to vomit.

This is the part where I state we have almost every fighter from Seasons 1-5 between my cousin and I, all sleeved, plus the Shovel Knight playmat, right? Card games are a hobby that requires true commitment and total lack of sanity.

Or, to save on postage, you can just do this. I haven't yet because I'm cautious about downloading stuff onto this compy as I would like it to function for as long as possible without having any sort of difficulty but maybe sometime I'll get it.

Do you have...the discord?

...Did I just out myself?

...I did just out myself, didn't I...

This was a recent development so it didn't occur to me to bring this up on here. I'm currently only in the Exceed Breakfast Club group and I can't get on too often, but yes, I do have the discord now. ID is D-D-Wanderer #4573, thumbnail should be the YGO card Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Hawk, but purple.

I will wait with patience, but eagerness. I'm still very disturbed by the whole sky-hand-dissolving thing.

Oh, you'll probably love Minato when I get to him then, he hits people with buses and trains with random eyes growing out of them because why the heck not. Or Luciya, she resurrects every time she's killed with more power and less sanity. Did I mention her ability is to generate lightning? Now what could possibly go wrong?

22 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

It was the Maribelle who shared a name with the one we know.  Chrom's death a thousand years ago should have been a huge hint if you didn't miss it, especially for those who know Awakening well enough.

That's what I figured, but I had to check just in case.

8 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

This is the part where I state we have almost every fighter from Seasons 1-5 between my cousin and I, all sleeved, plus the Shovel Knight playmat, right? Card games are a hobby that requires true commitment and total lack of sanity.

Or, to save on postage, you can just do this. I haven't yet because I'm cautious about downloading stuff onto this compy as I would like it to function for as long as possible without having any sort of difficulty but maybe sometime I'll get it.

This was a recent development so it didn't occur to me to bring this up on here. I'm currently only in the Exceed Breakfast Club group and I can't get on too often, but yes, I do have the discord now. ID is D-D-Wanderer #4573, thumbnail should be the YGO card Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Hawk, but purple.

Oh, you'll probably love Minato when I get to him then, he hits people with buses and trains with random eyes growing out of them because why the heck not. Or Luciya, she resurrects every time she's killed with more power and less sanity. Did I mention her ability is to generate lightning? Now what could possibly go wrong?

That's what I figured, but I had to check just in case.

Oh I am sending friend request.

Also yeah.  Made a lot of fun XD

21 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I haven't yet because I'm cautious about downloading stuff onto this compy as I would like it to function for as long as possible without having any sort of difficulty but maybe sometime I'll get it.

I am highly sympathetic to this approach.

Y'know, that sounds cool, and I was pretty excited to contact you, but there's a slight problem, which is that, uh...it doesn't work. Are you sure that's the right one?

Now what could possibly go wrong?

*paw-ssibly

On 7/8/2022 at 5:13 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Are you sure that's the right one?

No I'm not, I have no experience with anything remotely resembling social media with exception of Reddit and no idea what I'm doing on there, I mostly got Discord so I could get some help balancing my custom Exceed fighters based off my OCs and haven't looked at anything else. I just assumed that number next to my name on the interface was the right one. I'm on the wrong compy at the moment but I'll check again when I can.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

No I'm not, I have no experience with anything remotely resembling social media with exception of Reddit and no idea what I'm doing on there, I mostly got Discord so I could get some help balancing my custom Exceed fighters based off my OCs and haven't looked at anything else. I just assumed that number next to my name on the interface was the right one. I'm on the wrong compy at the moment but I'll check again when I can.

Ayo, thanks.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ayo, thanks.

...Yeah on further check it's still the same so I dunno. Did you just copy-paste it? It looks like it's not supposed to have a space between the name and the '#' so maybe that's the problem?

Hm, exchanging Discord registries?

Anyway, probably should've mentioned this earlier, but I actually got a job during the last round, so despite being tempted to write a non-participation entry for this round, or even to participate in any future ones, my free time has been cut down by a lot.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Anyway, probably should've mentioned this earlier, but I actually got a job during the last round, so despite being tempted to write a non-participation entry for this round, or even to participate in any future ones, my free time has been cut down by a lot.

Hey man, congratulations on the job! Hope things go well and prosperously for you in it.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's all grouse mate.  You're moving up in the world!

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hey man, congratulations on the job! Hope things go well and prosperously for you in it.

2 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

It's all grouse mate.  You're moving up in the world!

Well, it's my fourth job, actually. While I'm not sure if it will be "the one", it's nonetheless shaping up to be a much better ride than the last three. I'm close to fulfilling a full month, which is my current record when it comes to holding a job.

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, it's my fourth job, actually. While I'm not sure if it will be "the one", it's nonetheless shaping up to be a much better ride than the last three. I'm close to fulfilling a full month, which is my current record when it comes to holding a job.

>about to say something like good luck or something

>notices new thumbnail

SUAVEMENTE

I see this and raise you one Dale Zelda Dale my good memeing sir.

Edited by SoulWeaver

What's this????  Something that's short AF but okay:

Words: ~600

Fandom: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters AU

Entry:

Post Read Notes:

Spoiler

This is based off of an AU that I have been working on wherein Yugi is blind, and that's all that really needs to be said.

That said I wanted to try and keep to the fact that it is a beach theme but uh... yeah.  Not sure what was missing here...

Edited by TheSilentChloey

On 7/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, TheSilentChloey said:

-something short but sweet about a caring brolationship that will most definitely never be seen as gay nope nuh-uh nothing to see here-

-meanwhile I toy with using Hitorinbo Envy as the basis of my piece-