Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

Benice

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hey, has anyone on here used bluestacks to emulate anything? It's looking like nobody on the FEH subforum emulates the game at all, so I guess I'm checking here and the reddit for opinions.

I think I did try to use an Android emulator years ago, but I couldn't get FEH to work because the OS version the emulator used was outdated. I don't remember what emulator it was, and I haven't tried to do it again since, but I don't think it was Bluestacks. Or maybe it was, I have no idea.

Either way, I don't emulate the game.

On 10/5/2022 at 2:05 AM, SoulWeaver said:

Saved by laziness yet again! -Fistpump-

Yeah, but it's not your laziness.

Nope, not yet. It's on my queue, I just have to go back and play both paths of BN5 and maybe BN6 first. Maybe I'll do 4.5 while I'm at it but probably not, I'm stuck at the door that needs all the battlechips to pass and getting rarer chips is a freaking giant pain in 4.5.

>4.5

Have you at least played 1-4? 5 and 6 are great and come recommended, but I'd feel great pity if you were diving into the series with 4.5.

The closest thing I'll ever have to a real job

Naw, c'mon Soul. Don't say that.

Unless you're just really rich and just don't have to work. In which case, congratulations.

>emulation

Sorry, I only emulate good games. That I own legal copies of. Naturally.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Have you at least played 1-4? 5 and 6 are great and come recommended, but I'd feel great pity if you were diving into the series with 4.5.

We actually discovered Battle Network because my brother got BN4 Red Sun as a present when we were little, so I've watched him as he 100%'d the game. I also watched him go through most of each of the first 3 games(I missed some because he would keep playing after I went to bed), and have done some of a Blue Moon playthrough myself. I got pretty far through both paths of BN5, but then we lost the save, so I've been procrastinating going back to that because I already did most of it. I actually really like 4.5, especially the tournaments, and Elecman is probably my favorite to use, the game just feels like it could have used a little more tweaking, which is basically what we got with BN5(I'm running Double Team DS so I got the few extra features that has) so that's neat.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Naw, c'mon Soul. Don't say that.

Unless you're just really rich and just don't have to work. In which case, congratulations.

I'm mostly joking, though I wish your suggested scenario was the case.

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Wait what theme are we working with?

I find myself wondering that pretty frequently (I swear, I have intentions to contribute something!). What if the theme was added to the thread title, not only would it be easier for participants, but by showing the theme like that it could better draw in new blood whose eyes automatically filter out the thread.

7 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Wait what theme are we working with?

Here ya go:

On 10/4/2022 at 12:00 AM, SoulWeaver said:

"Wait, where am I?"

Write a piece about a character(s) who suddenly find themselves in another world. Ideally this would be another world in their universe(Mario and friends find Mr. L is now the one causing problems during their latest Party, for example), but if you think you can make it good feel free to try mixing things up(Robin now has to figure out a strategy to save Hyrule from the Twili, for example). Whether or not the inhabitants of the new world notice the visitors are out of place, or whether they replace any character in the new world, is up to you.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

Oooh...

Lmao

Or you can just do Halloween if you want, I just didn't really make that the whole thing because I was the one in charge the last time we had a Halloween prompt. I know you don't really have it out there, but I left it open in case anyone didn't have a good idea for the other prompt but was in a spooky mood.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:05 AM, SoulWeaver said:

I actually really like 4.5, especially the tournaments, and Elecman is probably my favorite to use, the game just feels like it could have used a little more tweaking, which is basically what we got with BN5(I'm running Double Team DS so I got the few extra features that has) so that's neat.

ElecMan is cool, though I haven't really tried 4.5 myself. I still haven't even beaten 6, which I rank higher on my priority list.

On 10/7/2022 at 3:05 AM, SoulWeaver said:

I'm mostly joking, though I wish your suggested scenario was the case.

Give it time, bud.

On 10/14/2022 at 11:37 AM, indigoasis said:

Here ya go:

Danke.

I've bounced around a few ideas so far, but nothing has really stuck. I'll see if I can't force a long-standing idea for this.

23 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I haven't really tried 4.5 myself.

Spoiler

So you take Battle Network, right.

Then you make it so you have access to a bunch of other NetNavis in addition to Megaman, like every BN4 DoubleSoul option, a smattering of retro picks from previous BN games such as NapalmMan(no CutMan sadly), Bass.EXE(OH HECK YES), and one guy from Network Transmission, that one on the GameCube that tried to make Battle Network into a traditional Megaman platformer but also gave us Zero.EXE so we'll forgive the mistakes.

(Note: The base game, as far as I know, only included Megaman, Roll, GutsMan, and NumberMan, we had to find a different download to get the others since they were unlocked by connecting to a separate device and scanning a special BattleChip a la Amiibo)

Then you give each Navi some sort of unique feature that makes it worth getting them, like having gateways that only specific Navis can open, having Roll and StarMan do daily fortune-telling and a special item that randomly spawns in a different area each day, having ProtoMan get missions from the Officials or ShadowMan get assassination requests, allowing Bass to walk up to random NetNavis and murder them in broad daylight, you know, stuff that makes sense for each Navi.

Then you make it so the Tournaments(which I consider one of the best parts of BN4) are available all over the place by having you go to specific Comp locations, plus said Tournaments now give you a gacha-wheel spin to get a free BattleChip for winning.

Then you make it so you can't control your Navi.

...Wait what.

You can't control your Navi, instead you get a little "tactics" window where you tell the Navi which enemy is highest priority and how many spaces to keep in between them, then the Navi does it as a CPU. It's supposed to emulate the idea of the NetNavi being its own individual being while you "Operate" by sending them BattleChips that the Navi then uses on its own priority. It's a super interesting idea that probably shouldn't have been done on any device with fewer than two screens, but it's pretty clearly set up to be like a mobile game.

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

and one guy from Network Transmission

St-

Roll and StarMan

Beat me to it.

allowing Bass to walk up to random NetNavis and murder them in broad daylight, you know, stuff that makes sense for each Navi.

Classic Bass.

I mean. No, Classic Bass is a different character, I mean it's- you know what I mean.

Anyway. I have heard about 4.5's various oddities before, I just haven't actually played it myself. I do appreciate getting to hear your thoughts on it, though.

I do believe I'm ready to share something substantial for this month. What I'm sharing is only Part 1 of the full thing I plan on writing; I would have given more, but I felt that what I have so far is a good stopping point before it gets too long, and also a decent introduction. It's prolly gonna end up being a novella by the time I'm done.

Anyway, I think this should be a perfect fit for both the theme and the month. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Title: Resurrection

Word Count: 8300, 21 pages

Some post read notes, if you're interested:

Spoiler
  • This is pretty much my ultimate passion project; a fanmade story for the cancelled Sega Dreamcast title, Castlevania Resurrection. I've had ideas for this running through my head for a long time now, probably since at least May, and I've got most of the important story beats worked out; it's just a matter of piecing them together and getting it all written down.
    • The goal of this story is to bring as much of that cancelled project as possible to some kind of reality, exercising some creative liberties to make it fit in as much as possible with the canon timeline of the main series games while also including and introducing elements of other Castlevania media (namely the Netflix series and Lords of Shadow).
    • Some of the locations described in the story are literary translations of screenshots from the Castlevania Resurrection demo, which you can find here. I obviously haven't gotten to everything yet, and I probably won't be able to, so I'm doing my best to bring over as much as possible.
  • Another goal for this story is to be accessible as possible. Essentially, I want to make it so that anyone can read it, not just Castlevania fans. Similarly to the games where you can kind of start with almost any of them, I want this to be something that people can read and not be confused as to what's going on because they don't know the lore, but people who do know the lore can piece things together and understand it just as well. More will be explained as I get more written down, and it will hopefully be as complete of a narrative as possible without too much reliance on the rest of the series.
  • It's still a WIP, so it's liable to changes as I move forward with the rest of the story, but I'm pretty satisfied with Part 1 as it is right now.

Hopefully, once I have it all written and complete, I'll share it with you guys on here. I'll post the full version once it's ready... which probably won't be for a long time, but I'll do what I can.

22 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I do believe I'm ready to share something substantial for this month. What I'm sharing is only Part 1 of the full thing I plan on writing; I would have given more, but I felt that what I have so far is a good stopping point before it gets too long, and also a decent introduction. It's prolly gonna end up being a novella by the time I'm done.

Anyway, I think this should be a perfect fit for both the theme and the month. I hope you guys enjoy it!

Title: Resurrection

Word Count: 8300, 21 pages

Some post read notes, if you're interested:

Reveal hidden contents
  • This is pretty much my ultimate passion project; a fanmade story for the cancelled Sega Dreamcast title, Castlevania Resurrection. I've had ideas for this running through my head for a long time now, probably since at least May, and I've got most of the important story beats worked out; it's just a matter of piecing them together and getting it all written down.
    • The goal of this story is to bring as much of that cancelled project as possible to some kind of reality, exercising some creative liberties to make it fit in as much as possible with the canon timeline of the main series games while also including and introducing elements of other Castlevania media (namely the Netflix series and Lords of Shadow).
    • Some of the locations described in the story are literary translations of screenshots from the Castlevania Resurrection demo, which you can find here. I obviously haven't gotten to everything yet, and I probably won't be able to, so I'm doing my best to bring over as much as possible.
  • Another goal for this story is to be accessible as possible. Essentially, I want to make it so that anyone can read it, not just Castlevania fans. Similarly to the games where you can kind of start with almost any of them, I want this to be something that people can read and not be confused as to what's going on because they don't know the lore, but people who do know the lore can piece things together and understand it just as well. More will be explained as I get more written down, and it will hopefully be as complete of a narrative as possible without too much reliance on the rest of the series.
  • It's still a WIP, so it's liable to changes as I move forward with the rest of the story, but I'm pretty satisfied with Part 1 as it is right now.

Hopefully, once I have it all written and complete, I'll share it with you guys on here. I'll post the full version once it's ready... which probably won't be for a long time, but I'll do what I can.

Spoiler

A pretty solid choice for both halves of the prompt, I like it. You have a couple sort of weird sentence structures, like where you mention that Victor "Followed the moon towards the moon," but overall it's written pretty well, and you did manage to convert some traditional enemy actions to writing solidly. I don't have a whole lot to nitpick about this, about the only real issue I had was that sometimes your descriptions lost my attention a little, but that may also have to do with the fact that I've been undersleeping for the last week so I'm sort of fried. I'll try to come back to it once I can get reoriented and hopefully give it some more feedback.

Edited by SoulWeaver

2 hours ago, indigoasis said:

i don't reread what I write, fml

lemme fix that

fml = "fix my line"

Y'know, I've been meaning to actually read and critique stuff. I can't have Soul out-doing me, after all. Don't let me forget to do that.

In the meantime, should my main idea not get finished, I must request everyone in the thread give me fictional universes with characters you think would be fun to see antagonized.

31 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

fml = "fix my line"

this is the kind of quality cleverness I aspire to

31 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

In the meantime, should my main idea not get finished, I must request everyone in the thread give me fictional universes with characters you think would be fun to see antagonized.

ed, edd, and eddy

Yeah, I don't think I can participate on this round either after all. If anyone's curious, the first idea that came to my mind to use was Genny (SoV) in Fodlan. Based on a crack-ish idea involving Seteth... if you know, you know. Though the story itself for this wouldn't have involved that. More like a prelude to the crack fic I would've written... some day or other. If not that, it was doing something inspired by this. Yes, that's a thing. I even once did a playthrough with it and everything. And some other ideas involving other universes... though I couldn't quite decide on who to send over to them...

Hey, could someone please select a Navigator-Type Reploid from the Megaman X series for me? Can provide a list of options if required.

This is, uh, 100% unrelated, definitely.

Edited by SoulWeaver

29 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hey, could someone please select a Navigator-Type Reploid from the Megaman X series for me? Can provide a list of options if required.

This is, uh, 100% unrelated, definitely.

Iris. But dead.

Naw, I'm jokin', really. But, uh, y'know, let's go with Layer. Alia would've been a boring pick. Unless Double is an option, in which case you always pick Double.

Now then-

On 10/20/2022 at 9:29 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

7 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Iris. But dead.

Naw, I'm jokin', really. But, uh, y'know, let's go with Layer. Alia would've been a boring pick. Unless Double is an option, in which case you always pick Double.

Now then-

It's a shame, because the idea this question is for honestly lets me ask a really interesting question if Iris specifically is used.

I did mean any Navigator, yes.

I mean Megaman is always an option, but here...let's go halfway and I'll suggest the Megaman ZX Reboot Azure Striker Gunvolt and it's own spiritual pseudo-successor, COGEN Sword of Rewind. I can probably come up with some other options tomorrow, but that's all I got for today.

3 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

It's a shame, because the idea this question is for honestly lets me ask a really interesting question if Iris specifically is used.

Go ahead then, use the wilted (dead) Iris.

3 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I did mean any Navigator, yes.

I mean Megaman is always an option, but here...let's go halfway and I'll suggest the Megaman ZX Reboot Azure Striker Gunvolt and it's own spiritual pseudo-successor, COGEN Sword of Rewind. I can probably come up with some other options tomorrow, but that's all I got for today.

>using the generic Maverick Hunter X navigator
No.

Oh hey, how about characters from Mighty No. 9?