Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

Benice

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Edrey said:

Well... I'm embarrassed XD...

I'm going to read everyone's entries but I don't think I'm gonna make it anytime soon... 

No worries, it happens - I had like four things I was supposed to be preparing for this weekend including this, and did basically none of them, so I got sidetracked and have to pass this round too. Feel free to just chill and jump in whenever you get time.

Totally the most hilarious title I saw lmao.

Aside from that I think most if not all of my thoughts are obvious but...

@Jotari

I think there's a rule somewhere that says it should be a completely fresh piece written with the time period of receiving the prompt.  But don't quote me on that! 😜 

Also this was a bit more M than PG, but otherwise an engaging read, interesting premise and fun to have a gander at.

@Acacia Sgt

Cute and mildly funny to read, I found this one a little hard to follow, but mostly because I am not familiar with the source material here, and not because of how you wrote it.

@TheSilentChloey

Yeah there was no context for this one, like at all.  So I see some people having difficulty getting it, but the title is more of a joke title (though apt for the pair in question).

It really could use some work, more context (although being part of the greater story is kinda the problem) and probably benefit from some more accurate descriptions than what I've got going on here.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

• A Break on the Beach (Acacia Sgt)

For the first half of this story I was thinking "Well this is a whole lot of nothing," and then bam. I'm hit with the sisters line and suddenly the story is touching on things I care about. Well, only because I know who the characters involved are which the story is assuming, but that's a piece of (possibly unfair) critisism I have for fanfiction in general. And then we get the brief talk about the contracts. Which, yeah, she's right, it is fucked up. They are literally slaves. The fact that they're well treated slaves who can sunbathe when they want is good on a relative level, but well treated or not, they're literally slaves.

And then the story ends. Leaving me with a great big shrug about how I feel about it. On one hand it touches on things I, persaonlly, find really interesting. On the other, it's a light touch and not anything close to a real exploration. But then, it wasn't ever meant to be. Aside from the final lines, it feels like a scene that could be in a larger story, but in such a context I'd only like it if the themes it sets up are developed upon later.

I do hope we see Marla and Hestia sometime in heroes though.

• The Falafel and Burger Addicts (TheSilentChloey)
I've been to Egypt, the falaffels are really good, and really cheap. That is about all I can say about this piece.

13 hours ago, Jotari said:
  • A Break on the Beach (Acacia Sgt)

For the first half of this story I was thinking "Well this is a whole lot of nothing," and then bam. I'm hit with the sisters line and suddenly the story is touching on things I care about. Well, only because I know who the characters involved are which the story is assuming, but that's a piece of (possibly unfair) critisism I have for fanfiction in general. And then we get the brief talk about the contracts. Which, yeah, she's right, it is fucked up. They are literally slaves. The fact that they're well treated slaves who can sunbathe when they want is good on a relative level, but well treated or not, they're literally slaves.

And then the story ends. Leaving me with a great big shrug about how I feel about it. On one hand it touches on things I, persaonlly, find really interesting. On the other, it's a light touch and not anything close to a real exploration. But then, it wasn't ever meant to be. Aside from the final lines, it feels like a scene that could be in a larger story, but in such a context I'd only like it if the themes it sets up are developed upon later.

I do hope we see Marla and Hestia sometime in heroes though.

• The Falafel and Burger Addicts (TheSilentChloey)
I've been to Egypt, the falaffels are really good, and really cheap. That is about all I can say about this piece.

Yup like I said there was no context other than Yami being a falafel addict who just wants his daily falafel and Yugi can't fight him on it lol.

Also I caved and I posted the main story that it comes from.  Rated M of course because it does touch on some deeper subject matter than PG, but hey, it's all good mate!

The story is on A03, for those who are interested in reading it.

@TheSilentChloey

Ahaha, okay, that whole falafel addiction was certainly amusing. Just imagining Yami like that is just so funny. XD

@Jotari

Yeah, gonna admit I didn't found it much enjoyable. Probably too graphic for my tastes.

---

21 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

It's kind of looking like @Acacia Sgt got this free not gonna lie. At risk of jumping the gun, any chance you wanna lay a prompt on us?

Well, I do have one to say already, if we're calling this already.

----

@BeniceOkay, the countdown ended. I know it's December and all, but right now I am more inspired by the significance of what tomorrow means in my country. So here's the prompt:

Mothers. Be it biological mother, mother by adoption, or just someone acting motherly. The story has to portray at least one character fulfilling such a role.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Congrats to Acacia for taking the round!

The OP has been updated! This month's writing phase will end December 29th. Happy writing, all!

(Sorry about being so slow to update the OP)

I have a feeling that it is going to be a very sad story, or one that isn't to everyone's taste...

So sorry in advance.

Title: The Mother Discussion

Words: 1,163

Fandom: XOver Fire Emblem x Original Universe

Entry:

Post Read Notes:

Spoiler

Yea, I went there and I hope that it makes sense.  This was meant to be a discussion piece from the persepective of a demon, the fell dragon and the one human in this fic.

Also if you do miss the "motherly" character it is the human btw.

I may or may not post it on A03, we'll see...

I've actually been working on a revised opening segment to my Castlevania story, and it's entirely unrelated to the prompt, but I think it could actually work as an entry. I think it kinda treads on thin ice in regards to "old" work being rewritten, but I think there's enough new and expanded content that it could be eligible (and yes, there is one character fulfilling the role of a mother, so it satisfies the prompt's conditions, even if it's not the main focus).

I'll go ahead and submit it, but I'll leave it you guys to decide if it's worthy for this month or not. I'd argue it's technically new, but it does recycle some ideas from my last entry. It doesn't really matter to me either way, though; I'd just like to get it out there. I think it's leagues better than the intro segment I originally made.

Title: Prelude

Word Count: 5054

I don't have any real notes to share beyond what I've already mentioned. I've been a bit more diligent in rereading what I've written, and I think a majority of it is to my liking.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Can I get 24 hours? I have a couple ideas that are partially out there but most likely won't get them finished by tonight.

I think I'll have mine ready by tonight, but let me know what the extension plans are so I can plan today and tomorrow a little better.

6 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I think I'll have mine ready by tonight, but let me know what the extension plans are so I can plan today and tomorrow a little better.

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Can I get 24 hours? I have a couple ideas that are partially out there but most likely won't get them finished by tonight.

If we've got two entries coming in tomorrow, no problem!

I'm working pretty early tomorrow, so unfortunately, I wouldn't expect OP to be updated until about 7 P.M. PST tomorrow, so you'll have lots of time to get your entries in!

Fell asleep in the middle of writing my piece. Not sure I'll get it done in time, but I'll definitely finish it up and post it here, even if it ends up being late, just wanted to say don't feel like you have to wait for me.

Kidney Stones (~3,440 words)

Spoiler

There was a clearing in a forest behind the high school. It was a decent way out, and in the middle of it was a large and round concrete slab. It covered some kind of reservoir, but Aaron Flamenco didn't know for sure. What he did know was that apparently Wilma Pavarti liked sitting around on that slab, too.

He'd been sitting in that clearing for years, coming there whenever he had to calm down or felt the need to be alone, which was often, while Wilma had only known about it for a few weeks.

Aaron had been cautious about showing it to her- it was the closest thing he had to his own private space. But when she'd asked, offhandedly, where he was wondering off to, he found himself inviting her to follow him and see. Despite her own reservations about following Aaron, who was known to be temperamental and crude, Wilma found herself agreeing.

That was how they found themselves spending the occasional evening together, each looking for some quiet time to think. So it was that evening as well. Aaron was sitting on the ground, his back leaned against the slab, with Wilma sitting above him.

"Don't you aunt and uncle get worried about you coming here?" Aaron asked.
"I told them I'd be out with friends tonight."
"So you lied?" Aaron smirked.
"It's only a little lie. I'm with a friend," said Wilma playfully. "They don't need to know which one."

Wilma continued. "What about your mom?"
"She's used to me being out late." Aaron shrugged, and then he started laughing.
"What?"
"Nothing. Just never thought, when you first moved here, that you'd think of me that way."
"Well. You were a little...hard to get used to at first-"
"Hey-"
"But you're not so bad when you aren't throwing a tantrum."

Pouting, Aaron slumped against the concrete and turned his gaze to the blue summer sky. Wilma looked around at the various trees, trying to make out the individual shapes which made up the surrounding forest, looking for birds or squirrels, and for a few minutes everything was quiet except for the low beating of cicadas.

The boy rummaged around in his pockets. He insisted on wearing a jacket despite the heat, stubbornly refusing any advice to the contrary, but he seemed about as comfortable as Wilma did in her lightweight dress.

Aaron glanced up at her as he searched. She wasn't paying him any mind, or didn't show it if she was. Wilma continued to stare out into the trees, as if longing for something. Her skin was dark and smooth like caramel- Aaron had eclectic taste in models, but had recently stopped looking at ones which resembled her. Not only that, he had started avoiding them. Something suddenly seemed so wrong about it.

Finally, Aaron found what he was looking for. He produced a small cardboard box half-full of cigarettes, then pulled one out and held it up to her.

"Smoke?" Aaron offered.
"No thanks," Wilma answered. She held an open palm towards him and kept her eyes on the distance. "I'm trying to quit."

Aaron turned away and threw the unused cigarette into the grass. "Yeah. Me too."

Silence then fell back over the two, and it hung over them for a long enough time most people would have forgotten the conversation, though neither let it slip from their minds. The sun beat down on them, the cicadas continued their chorus. Occasionally a small breeze would come through and relieve them of the heat, or a bird would fly by and its song would sweeten the atmosphere. Each of them stared up as a cardinal flew overhead, wordlessly following it with their gazes as it disappeared in the distant branches.

"There's a lot of things I'm trying to quit."
"Same here."

Wilma flung open the door to her uncle's house and hurried Aaron to the downstairs bathroom, intensely grateful that her family wasn't home. They wouldn't appreciate having Aaron over, especially with the massive gash in his forehead pouring blood everywhere.

Helping him as best she could, she brought him to the closed toilet, which he nearly collapsed onto when she sat him down. Wilma started running the sink, grabbed the hand towel from the wall, and started to clean the blood from his brow.

"Jesus Aaron," Wilma muttered. "Is your eyeball even still in there?"

The boy wavered in place, still reeling from the beating which had torn the skin so badly above his left eye. "I think I still feel it," he grumbled. "Kinda stings."

"I imagine it does sting," Wilma remarked, "given how much blood is probably in it. Oh my God, Aaron, it looks awful!"

"It's fine," Aaron slurred as she rinsed out her rag. He winced as she touched the cold cloth to his head again, cleaning crimson from his face.

"I think you need to see a doctor," Wilma continued.
"It's not that bad," Aaron insisted. "It's doesn't hurt nearly as bad a kidney stone. That did send me to a doctor."

Wilma couldn't tell if he was deflecting or just out of it or something else entirely, but as long as she kept him talking she knew he wasn't blacking out. "When did you have a kidney stone?"
"Last summer."
"Was it this bad?"
"I couldn't even talk until they gave me painkillers. They had to inject 'em."

Wilma shook her head and sighed. Rinsed the rag again. She almost had the bleeding under control. Wiped his eyes with one corner of the bloodstained towel while pressing it against the wound. "Frank Grizwald did this to you, didn't he?"

Aaron looked away with his one good eye.

"Aaron, answer m-"
"Yes, it was Frank."
"Aaron!" Wilma nearly screamed. "I told you not to fight him! This happens literally every time you get in a fight with him. Maybe not this bad, but...oh, I wish you'd just stop getting into fights in general."
"Hey. I've only ever lost to Frank."
"So far," Wilma added. "Aaron, I really try and stick up for you, but when you do stuff like this, it's...what if my uncle was home? What if, next time, my aunt's home? What am I supposed to tell them, Aaron?"

"I get it!" Aaron held up his hands. Enough tears and water had finally washed through Aaron's left eye for him to open it again. "Look, Wilma, I didn't try to pick a fight with him," he explained.

"What happened, then?" Wilma stared down at him. She tossed the bloody rag on the counter and reached into the cupboard for a fresh one. "You were messing with Ted again, weren't you?" Ted was Frank Grizwald's little brother. Everyone knew he was a nuisance, including Frank, but the elder brother was fiercely protective of the younger.

Aaron looked away again, even as Wilma tried to put pressure on his wound with the dry cloth. That told her all she needed to know.

"Oh my God," Wilma groaned. "Aaron...I get that he's annoying, but he's a kid."
"I know, I know! That was a lame thing for me to do." The boy finally stood still, letting Wilma push the cloth against him. Despite the sweat and blood and sweat he'd dragged in and gotten on her, she and the house still smelled nice. It was weird for Aaron, but pleasant.

"Hold that there," said Wilma, and Aaron did. She reached into the cabinet again, pulling out bandages and hydrogen peroxide. "You should've backed down."
"Ted was-" Aaron started, but stopped himself and paused before a growl. "Forget it. You're right. That was stupid." He winced as Wilma put a peroxide-soaked washcloth to the wound. "I just...I don't usually give up on stuff that easy. I have a hard time quitting."
"You need to quit getting your butt kicked by Frank Grizwald."
"...thanks, Wilma. You're a real friend."
"I know," said Wilma absently, putting the last touches on her dressing. "I know."

Neither Aaron or Wilma felt obligated to only visit the clearing with the other, but it became common practice to accept an invitation to do so. They sat on the slab with their backs to each other as they looked at the sky, watching as it darkened and the brightest stars began to shine through against the diminishing light of the sun.

They didn't speak a word, but they could feel it. A certain tension, some uneasiness, which make their skin tighten and sent an anxious feeling through their backs. Something like goosebumps. As time went on their posture relaxed, or perhaps slipped. Both leaned back bit by bit until their shoulders touched. They froze suddenly, holding their necks stiff so their heads did not. Neither could help that their hair brushed against the other. Both kept it a bit long for the standards of their sex.

Aaron had his eyes fixed on the stars. It was still fairly early despite the looming darkness, the days having grown shorter through the winter. "So..."

It took Wilma a moment to break from her trance. She had been trying desperately to bury her strange feelings with the intensity of her stargazing. "Did you say something?"

Aaron tapped his knuckles on the concrete as he built up the courage to go on. "You doing anything for dinner tonight?"

Wilma paused. She bit her lip and made sure to release it before looking over her shoulder at him.

"Aaron Flamenco, are you asking me on a date?"

The boy kept his eyes on the stars. "Yeah."

She inhaled softly, turning her attention back to the heavens. "I'm free tonight."

Christmas was fast approaching, and Aaron still hadn't bought Wilma a gift. He woke up early, which he always hated on a Sunday, and sat on the couch, wracking his brain about what he could get her while the TV provided background noise. It was around 9 AM when he got a call, and it was with excitement and guilty dread he saw that it was Wilma. He answered immediately.

"Aaron?"

Something sounded...off. Her voice was muted and meek. "Hey, Wilma. Are you okay?"

She ignored the question. "Is anyone else there?"

Aaron looked around his little apartment to confirm what he already knew. "No, just me."
"Okay. Good. Aaron, I need to talk to you. Privately."
"What about?"
"In person. I'm coming over."

She hung up. Aaron stood there, baffled, but eventually sighed and started to clean his abode. He cleared beer bottles, soda cans, and paper plates from the coffee table, tossed them in the trash and wiped the thrift-store furnishing down. He moved a small plastic Christmas tree from the kitchen to the center of the table to try and be presentably festive. It was no more more than a foot and a half tall, even counting the stand. A cool winter day averaged 70 degrees Fahrenheit where they lived, so "real" Christmas trees had never been an option. Since he was a young man barely out of the nest, a full-sized "fake" tree wasn't an option either.

He paced around, setting odds and ends in order, until the doorbell finally rang. When he opened the door, Aaron found Wilma standing there without her makeup. It was something he was still getting used to seeing, though certainly not something he minded.

She look clammy and pale. "Is everything okay?" Aaron asked.

Again, she ignored the question. She looked around her, then stepped inside. Aaron instinctively backed up to make room, and Wilma shut the door. Her hand lingered on the doorknob, and for a second she refused to look at him.

Aaron's mind raced to figure out what he'd done wrong. He really was planning to buy her a present, and he'd stopped fighting and smoking and even a few other things. He was still working on drinking. Something wasn't right, and he had no idea what. The uncertainty chomped away at him. Eventually, catching her breath and steeling herself, Wilma turned to him.

"Are we..." Aaron began. "Look, you can just tell me if-"
"I'm pregnant."

He blinked. Several times. "You're joking."
"I'm not. I took the test last night. Then again this morning."

A sudden rush of unknown emotion flooded him. His whole body suddenly tingling with a kind of excitement he had never felt before, but he couldn't think of anything to say. He wasn't sure how he was supposed to feel. Wilma was being so somber.

"I haven't told anyone else," she added. "I don't think my family will want me to keep it."

Aaron looked at her. He hung his head, and Wilma did the same. Some horrible twinge of disappoint, some bitter doubt, began to assail him, and his loss for words was even greater.

"You'll stay, won't you?"

They each looked up at up each other.

"What do you mean?"

"With me." Wilma placed her hands over her stomach. "With the baby. With...our baby."

Slowly, and without hesitation, Aaron nodded. His arms wrapped around her and pulled her in, and her arms returned the gesture.

"Of course," he said. He started to choke up. Wilma started to choke up. Joyful tears flowed down their faces while he spoke. "How could I not?"

Wilma was driving their youngest, a little girl, to dance class. The van was filled with praise and worship music of the kind made specifically for little children. It was a simple melody about how powerful, loving, and protective God was, that He was stronger than giants and monsters and lions. But such great power was contained in a song gentle enough for the soft little voice in the back to rise over it.

"Mommy, can we have a kitty?"
"Sweetie, we talked about this."
"Please?"
"We can't have a cat."
"Why not?"
"Because. Your brother is allergic."
"Can't we fix him?"

Wilma blinked at her reflection in the rear-view mirror. "Sweetie. We don't need to fix your brother. Allergies are just something some people have. It's not anything wrong with him. Okay?"
"Okay. But can we have a cat? I'll take care of it, really!"
"No."
"Please? He's not that allergic, is he?"
"I said no, sweetie."
"Please can we have a cat?"

"If you ask one more time for a cat-" Wilma stopped to think. What would her uncle say? No, better not to go that harsh. What about Aaron's mother? Not a great idea either. It looked like she was on her own- again. "We're not getting a cat, so stop asking. You need to understand that when mommy says no, that means no."

"What if we keep it outside?"

Wilma sighed. "No, even we keep it outside, we can't get a cat."

She decided that she would just have to ignore any further petitions. Wilma loved her children, but she'd be lying if she said they were easy. How did she get talked into trying for a third? It was easy for Aaron to want another one when he didn't have the brunt of the work. She was the one driving them to dance and soccer and homeschooling them.

They arrived at dance and Wilma took a seat outside the classroom. Benches were set in front of a large glass window so parents could look inside. It gave her a little time to cool off, and she enjoyed dance class. Watching her daughter dance and run around the studio, going in circles and giggling dizzily, it always made Wilma smile, and on this evening softened her heart again.

Soon enough they returned home and night fell and it was time to put the children in bed. Aaron said goodnight to their son and Wilma said goodnight to their daughter. Then they switched off- Aaron said goodnight to their daughter and Wilma said goodnight to their son. The exact order tended to change from one night to the next. Each time they were told goodnight, the little ones looked up at their parents and exchanged kisses, and they would always say, in some way or another, those most precious words.

"I love you daddy!"
"I love you mommy!"

She remembered why she agreed- why she wanted- to have a third one.

When they had finally done enough chores to call it a night, Aaron and Wilma slipped into bed together. They were too exhausted to continue trying for number three, but as they exchanged sweet words and drifted off, they agreed that they would. Maybe tomorrow.

"What are you eating?" Aaron asked.
"Star fruit," Wilma answered. She had it cut up into slices, eating them like cookies. "The neighbors brought us a fruit basket. I never tried any before, but they're actually not bad. The shape is fun too, of course."

Aaron looked through the basket in question, but found no pears or bananas and decided not to have anything. However, there were a few dragon fruits mixed in with several more star fruits. "How many have you had?"
"This is the third one."
"Three star fruit?" He gave her an odd look.
"I think they're better than three stars."

Again he looked at her strangely, but soon he realized what she said and chuckled. "I'm glad you like it, but...you might want to slow down with that. A guy I used to work with said they can give you kidney stones."

"What?" Wilma was incredulous. "How? I don't think they're that sugary."

Aaron paused and scratched his head. "I don't remember what's in it, but there's some kind of acid or something that turns into kidney stones. Apparently star fruit has a lot of it. If you're likely to get kidney stones, eating a star fruit basically guarantees you'll have one."

"I'm not inclined to get kidney stones," Wilma replied.
"Good," said Aaron. "I still don't think you should push your luck on it."

Wilma smirked at him for being so silly. "Aaron, it's a fruit. If it makes you feel better, I'll drink plenty of water, but I'm not going to get kidney stones from this."
"I hope you don't. I've heard it's closest thing a man can feel to giving birth."
"Come on Aaron. You know that's just guys trying to sound tough, like there's something they've done that's harder than having kids."
"I'm trying to warn you, Wilma. Every woman I've talked to who's had both said the kidney stone was worse."
"I'll be fine," she assured him. "Even if you're right, which you're not, it's not a big deal."
"It is a big deal."
"Maybe for a man."

Aaron sighed. "Hold on, let me try some of that."
Wilma cut the point off one star-shaped slice and gave it to Aaron, who bit it and grimaced.
"Yeah, I don't think I'd risk a kidney stone over this."

"I pushed out three kids," Wilma said smugly. "I think I can handle a tiny little rock."

"Aaron!" Wilma sobbed. "Help me!"

Aaron pulled her out of the car, carrying her in his arms as he rushed through the parking lot. He spun around and pushed open the door to the doctor's office with his back, and thankfully they were able to see them to a room without much delay.

The nurse closed the door behind her as she went to get the painkillers, leaving Wilma crumpled on the table with only Aaron there to comfort her. Her hair was plastered to her forehead with sweat. Blinking hurt, so she kept her eyes shut. Even her breathing was slow and pained, punctuated by whimpers, any motion of her sides making the piercing feeling worse.

With nothing else he could do, Aaron knelt down beside her, and grabbed her hand. Squeezing gently. "Don't worry," he said. "They're going to take care of you. They're going to get you some medicine, and you're going to feel better."

She whimpered softly.

"You'll be fine. I know you will- I know how strong you are. You trust me, don't you?"

She nodded. Barely.

"I promise you that you'll get taken care of. I'll make sure of it. I'm just sorry I can't do anything else now, but anything they say to do after, I'll help you. I promise."

Wilma moved her lips in some strange motion.

"What did you say?"

She mumbled something again, and Aaron leaned in, putting his ear to her mouth.

"You could have..." growled Wilma, "taken the star fruit..."

Aaron blinked and held her hand tighter. "I'm sorry."
"No. I'm sorry," Wilma pouted. "This is worse."
"Wilma...It's okay. You don't have to say anything if it hurts. You don't have to prove anything."
"I better get another kid out of this."

There is a very, very weird meta-history to how these characters ended up in this story in particular, and as a result there are some details that you'd think would be important, but which I excluded because they ultimately didn't matter here. It's also probably not the best character study for these two given the context.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed