Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

Benice

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I figured the thread just kinda died... unless you guys wanna pick it back up with a free write next month or something?

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A Discord invite, huh. I've never joined the Serenes Discord, but hmm...

Is this moving over to Discord? I used to have it, but I never used it so I deleted it.

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, forgot to check this place.

A Discord invite, huh. I've never joined the Serenes Discord, but hmm...

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Oh, I figured the thread just kinda died... unless you guys wanna pick it back up with a free write next month or something?

Is this moving over to Discord? I used to have it, but I never used it so I deleted it.

That's actually a Discord Chloey helps run with a couple of people she knows.

I'm going to have something for this round up tonight or tomorrow, we're not dead yet. One of you guys better get writing fast so I have something to go against though.

As a PSA, Y'all all probably have until May 2 to get something in because exams and such. Don't give in just yet!

On 4/28/2023 at 8:50 PM, SoulWeaver said:

So much for this whole feedback thing lol.

Okay. Wow. Uncalled for. How dare you call me out on my own mistake like that.

I was working on something but then I just uh...didn't. I feel a little bit like I should have. It was very short so I might throw it together regardless.

On 4/29/2023 at 1:09 PM, SoulWeaver said:

That's actually a Discord Chloey helps run with a couple of people she knows.

Y'know, not really sure I'll join, but that's nice to know. I'm glad there's a place there for people who are interested, though I generally refrain from joining discord servers.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

22 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Okay. Wow. Uncalled for. How dare you call me out on my own mistake like that.

I was working on something but then I just uh...didn't. I feel a little bit like I should have. It was very short so I might throw it together regardless.

Y'know, not really sure I'll join, but that's nice to know. I'm glad there's a place there for people who are interested, though I generally refrain from joining discord servers.

It's a free for all to join if they want or not lol

Also I may or may not be planning something for October but... well... we'll see XD

17 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

If you decide to join harass Chloey just a tad and watch her children lose their crap. I would have continued riling Morgan up but I couldn't find the clip I wanted.

Anyways I got held up yesterday, I'll finish and post my thing by tonight.

Based on true events.

Spoiler

Stevie stared at his screen in disbelief. He had just read the dumbest of dumb takes. The most stupid thing he had ever read, and he purposefully pursued stupid things to make fun of. He was absolutely flabbergasted by the absolute idiocy of what he had read, by it's utter moral bankruptcy, and how such a thing had come to him without him being on one of his excursions for content to mock. Perhaps worst of all was that this was the first of many, many paragraphs in response to his one-paragraph joke.

It didn't take long for Stevie to just sort of stop reading. His eyes skimmed the last four-fifths of the post, feeling a certain heat from it, and he hit the "Quote Reply" button. He leaned back in his chair, put his hands together, and began to think. How would he troll this user? He obviously wasn't hard to upset, but he'd need something to really rustle him.

He slumped back further and couldn't think of anything. Where would he begin? There was too much to pick from. Too many mistakes. He glazed over, unable to pick anything out to consider, and in the silent void of confusion heard something through his headphones.

Stevie looked over his shoulder. His brother Clark was sitting in the big red recliner in front of the TV, reading the Bible aloud. Stevie slipped one earpiece off his ear and listened in.

"These six things the Lord hates, indeed, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look- the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that manufactures wicked thoughts and plans, feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who breathes out lies, even under oath, and he who sows discord among his brethren."

Clark stopped reading to drink water.

"What are you reading?" Stevie asked.
"The Bible." Clark had finished his water by then and placed his cup back on the side table.
"What in it?"
"Oh, sorry. That makes more sense for you to mean that. I'm reading one chapter of Proverbs for every day of the month. Right now I'm on Proverbs 6."
"And what did that last part about sowing discord say?"

Clark turned back to the book to make sure. "It says he who sows discord among his brethren is an abomination unto the Lord."
"That's in the Bible?"
"Yeah, it's Proverbs 6, verse 19."

Damn. Darn. "Sorry, Jesus," thought Stevie.

"Well, that's cool Clark. Thanks."

Stevie turned back to his computer and stared at the screen. It didn't seem right to post troll messages after that. He shifted in his swivel chair and remembered something vaguely, going to a new tab and typing in "think on these things"

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]

Philippians 4:8.

"Alright, fine," sighed Stevie. "I get it."
"Did you say something?"
Clark looked up from his Bible and Stevie looked over his shoulder. "No, nothing."
"Ah, okay. Thanks anyway."
They each turned back to their own things.

Stevie sat in prayer for a while, then hovered over the tab. He thought seriously about it for a second, then hit the little X. No more thread, no more long troll post. It was kind of nice, he guessed. There wouldn't be a reply to read. He didn't have to worry about responding to that post anymore. He didn't have to think about it at all.

Enjoy.

I apologize for neglecting these in my previous message.

23 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

It's a free for all to join if they want or not lol

Also I may or may not be planning something for October but... well... we'll see XD

We have to join whether we want to or not?!

I'm very excited for October.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

If you decide to join harass Chloey just a tad and watch her children lose their crap. I would have continued riling Morgan up but I couldn't find the clip I wanted.

Anyways I got held up yesterday, I'll finish and post my thing by tonight.

'Ey, I know the feeling of not having the clip you wanted. It stinks!

I got mine done basically all tonight, but the concept is from before they posted the prompt. It being one scene makes it very convenient to put out last-minute.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Based on true events.

Reveal hidden contents

Stevie stared at his screen in disbelief. He had just read the dumbest of dumb takes. The most stupid thing he had ever read, and he purposefully pursued stupid things to make fun of. He was absolutely flabbergasted by the absolute idiocy of what he had read, by it's utter moral bankruptcy, and how such a thing had come to him without him being on one of his excursions for content to mock. Perhaps worst of all was that this was the first of many, many paragraphs in response to his one-paragraph joke.

It didn't take long for Stevie to just sort of stop reading. His eyes skimmed the last four-fifths of the post, feeling a certain heat from it, and he hit the "Quote Reply" button. He leaned back in his chair, put his hands together, and began to think. How would he troll this user? He obviously wasn't hard to upset, but he'd need something to really rustle him.

He slumped back further and couldn't think of anything. Where would he begin? There was too much to pick from. Too many mistakes. He glazed over, unable to pick anything out to consider, and in the silent void of confusion heard something through his headphones.

Stevie looked over his shoulder. His brother Clark was sitting in the big red recliner in front of the TV, reading the Bible aloud. Stevie slipped one earpiece off his ear and listened in.

"These six things the Lord hates, indeed, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look- the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that manufactures wicked thoughts and plans, feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who breathes out lies, even under oath, and he who sows discord among his brethren."

Clark stopped reading to drink water.

"What are you reading?" Stevie asked.
"The Bible." Clark had finished his water by then and placed his cup back on the side table.
"What in it?"
"Oh, sorry. That makes more sense for you to mean that. I'm reading one chapter of Proverbs for every day of the month. Right now I'm on Proverbs 6."
"And what did that last part about sowing discord say?"

Clark turned back to the book to make sure. "It says he who sows discord among his brethren is an abomination unto the Lord."
"That's in the Bible?"
"Yeah, it's Proverbs 6, verse 19."

Damn. Darn. "Sorry, Jesus," thought Stevie.

"Well, that's cool Clark. Thanks."

Stevie turned back to his computer and stared at the screen. It didn't seem right to post troll messages after that. He shifted in his swivel chair and remembered something vaguely, going to a new tab and typing in "think on these things"

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]

Philippians 4:8.

"Alright, fine," sighed Stevie. "I get it."
"Did you say something?"
Clark looked up from his Bible and Stevie looked over his shoulder. "No, nothing."
"Ah, okay. Thanks anyway."
They each turned back to their own things.

Stevie sat in prayer for a while, then hovered over the tab. He thought seriously about it for a second, then hit the little X. No more thread, no more long troll post. It was kind of nice, he guessed. There wouldn't be a reply to read. He didn't have to worry about responding to that post anymore. He didn't have to think about it at all.

Enjoy.

This is calling me out and I don't like it, haha.

Anyways, here we go:

Title: In Medias Res

(Yes this is a reference to Anon's prompt of the same name, this feels kind of like it fits that one)

Notes:

Spoiler

Guess who still spams ellipses way too much. IT'S ME AND I DON'T CARE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is a short one, only 678 words. I think it works out though. If it wasn't obvious, I used Chloey's offered prompt for this piece, though I'm not sure I did a good job. I was intending to do a separate piece for each of the suggested prompts, but only 3 out of the 4 got actually suggested ever and I spent too long waiting for that last one so this is all you get for the moment.

Edited by SoulWeaver

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Guess who still spams ellipses way too much. IT'S ME AND I DON'T CARE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE, YAHOO

they're just so... convenient... y'know?

17 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

This is calling me out and I don't like it, haha.

Anyways, here we go:

Title: In Medias Res

(Yes this is a reference to Anon's prompt of the same name, this feels kind of like it fits that one)

Notes:

Hide contents

This is a short one, only 678 words. I think it works out though. If it wasn't obvious, I used Chloey's offered prompt for this piece, though I'm not sure I did a good job. I was intending to do a separate piece for each of the suggested prompts, but only 3 out of the 4 got actually suggested ever and I spent too long waiting for that last one so this is all you get for the moment.

It reads like a good poetry imo I like it.

When is the deadline? I'm away from my computer but I just had a pretty decent idea for the prompt that I could possibly throw together tonight.

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

When is the deadline? I'm away from my computer but I just had a pretty decent idea for the prompt that I could possibly throw together tonight.

I think I might be able to sort OP out in about 22 hours, so you've until then, I suppose!

17 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think I might be able to sort OP out in about 22 hours, so you've until then, I suppose!

I'll see what I can do.

Title: The Memoirs of Ludveck, Duke of Felirae

Word Count: 1216

Spoiler

He watched her go with a smile on his face. Confident he would be back. She had spoken with a conviction he had not expected from her, but the ultimate truth was that Elincia had the soft heart of a woman. She had found a moment of strength, perhaps, but once she saw that noose around the beautiful Lucia’s neck that fortitude would crumble. She would give in, of that, he was confident. He only need wait.

They had granted him a desk and some parchment, little else, but it was enough to pass the time. It would require some future editing, no doubt, but it was never too early to start on one’s memoirs. He wrote, first, a brief summary of his actions during the Mad King’s War, how he had heroically defended the northern coast until Ashnard’s forces had overrun his position. Perhaps that was why he felt so comfortable in the Queen’s dungeon, it was not the first time he had been a prisoner, and just like before, he was filled with the certainty and self-assurance that he had done all for Crimea.

Next, he began writing about the goings on in Daein and the restoration of their monarchy. Here, he stumbled slightly and had to start again several times. It was sensible, he knew, to install a strong ruler on Crimea’s throne to face the rising threat of Daein’s restoration, but he couldn’t help but feel like when he wrote his account he came across as overly entitled. Mentioning his relation to the royal family was a mistake, he decided. His connection was far too distant, with several claimants well ahead of him. No, it was not blood which he’d won the throne, it was competence. He was the best ruler, the most fitting for the position; that was self-evident. Yet it was difficult to really convey that sitting from a prison cell. Though he had viewed the prior battle as a formality, it had still wounded his pride to lose it.

With a growl, he crushed the parchment and threw it in a corner. “Hey,” he shouted at the guard. “What’s happening out there? When is she going to let me out?”

The guard ignored him, merely stood there, stone faced and unmoving.

“Talk to me,” he said. “I will be king before long, and if you do not talk to me now, I will have your tongue.”

Still, the guard refused to move.

“Bah, have it your way.”

It was a windowless cell, but by standing on an alcove near the back he could position himself in a way in which he could see out a window in the guard room. He couldn’t see anything specific, but there was an unmistakable glow of orange in the sky, signifying dusk was settling. Had the queen really allowed her best friend to die? Doubt began to creep into him. Was it truly possible her words had not been mere words? To sacrifice a milk sister took an iron will he had was sure Elincia lacked. Even he would have capitulated if someone had threatened his family. He began to reassess everything he knew about Elincia. Maybe she hadn’t come to the throne through chance. Perhaps she was a brilliant schemer who had always resented the fact that the crown would be passed over her.

“My god,” he whispered. “She’s a sociopath.” How had he not seen it before? The mysterious disappearance of Ike, the hero of Crimea, was no doubt her doing. She couldn’t deal with the competition. Someone so popular would eventually undermine her. And the laguz! Of course, the laguz, she had been inviting them in to help rebuild their country, or so she said. He had thought her a naïve fool with a soft spot for subhumans, but now he saw the truth, they were soldiers of Gallia, planted to stop a rebellion like his from taking place. That was how he had lost the previous battle. The laguz had fought with her on the frontlines. It was all prearranged.

He began to pace frantically, reordering events in his head. How could he have been so blind to her true nature? Was it because she was pretty? He thought himself a deeper thinker than that, but it was the only possibility. She looked so innocent, so fragile. No doubt that too was a carefully constructed façade.

His heart stopped cold. If he was right, if she really was the steely tyrant he theorized, then what did that mean for him? Lucia was dead already, she had to be. Of that there was no doubt. His soldiers would not have waited so long, his instructions had been very clear. And with Lucia dead, so too was his final bargaining chip. He had nothing now. He had truly lost.

“I’m going to die,” he whispered. There was no other way around it. No escape, no way to plead, no way to out maneuver. Perhaps, had he not threatened Lucia’s life, than he and Elincia could have come to some arrangement; but not now, not after what he’d done.

He sank to his knees. By his feet were the pages of his memoirs. They seemed so foolish, the writings of an arrogant and pompous upstart. He, a king, he was no king and he never would be. The strong and capable ruler had always been on the throne, he just hadn’t seen it.

Yet…they had spoken, just the two of them. The guards had been dismissed. They’d spoken with candor. And what had she spoken of? The lives of civilians. Why? Why would she care? Not only of peasants, but peasants willing to rebel against her! That was no act, she had been sincere. So how could the two Elincia’s be reconciled, the childish woman weeping for the death of strangers and the cold hearted ruler that would watch as her friend died? Could they be one and the same? Could she truly be a compassionate and capable leader?

And if so, what did that make him? He hadn’t been defeated by a child who got lucky, nor had he been outplayed by an ingenious mastermind. He had lost to a truly brilliant queen who cared for Crimea, and possessed the will to save it. He began to laugh. “I am…a villain,” he murmured. “That is how the history books will see me, and they will be right. It was all for nothing.”

The outer gate opened with a clang. Half a dozen people walked up to his cell.

“Im…impossible.” Standing before him was Lucia, bruised and shaken, but unmistakably her. And she was smirking.

“Duke Ludveck,” she said. “Forgive us for making you wait. The gallows were damaged slightly and we had to repair them.”

“How…are you alive?”

“You were outplayed again.”

He touched his forehead with his hand. Not only was she the perfect ruler, but she was capable of miracles as well. “Give me one moment,” he said. He gathered up the parchment he had written on and tore it to pieces, then, he grabbed a fresh piece and wrote on it a short simple message.

Our future is secure in your hands. Long live Crimea. You are a true leader and I am but a power hungry fool.

Edited by Jotari

OP is updated! Voting will end this Sunday at midnight (though it may realistically be a bit longer than that because it's concert week). Sorry about being chronically behind on these things, folks! Hopefully we'll be able to get back on to a proper monthly schedule soon, but we'll see.