Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

Benice

1 hour ago, Benice said:

OP is updated! Voting will end this Sunday at midnight (though it may realistically be a bit longer than that because it's concert week). Sorry about being chronically behind on these things, folks! Hopefully we'll be able to get back on to a proper monthly schedule soon, but we'll see.

Don't worry, chronic lateness works well with my chronic procrastination and laziness.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/3/2023 at 11:36 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Based on true events.

Hide contents

Stevie stared at his screen in disbelief. He had just read the dumbest of dumb takes. The most stupid thing he had ever read, and he purposefully pursued stupid things to make fun of. He was absolutely flabbergasted by the absolute idiocy of what he had read, by it's utter moral bankruptcy, and how such a thing had come to him without him being on one of his excursions for content to mock. Perhaps worst of all was that this was the first of many, many paragraphs in response to his one-paragraph joke.

It didn't take long for Stevie to just sort of stop reading. His eyes skimmed the last four-fifths of the post, feeling a certain heat from it, and he hit the "Quote Reply" button. He leaned back in his chair, put his hands together, and began to think. How would he troll this user? He obviously wasn't hard to upset, but he'd need something to really rustle him.

He slumped back further and couldn't think of anything. Where would he begin? There was too much to pick from. Too many mistakes. He glazed over, unable to pick anything out to consider, and in the silent void of confusion heard something through his headphones.

Stevie looked over his shoulder. His brother Clark was sitting in the big red recliner in front of the TV, reading the Bible aloud. Stevie slipped one earpiece off his ear and listened in.

"These six things the Lord hates, indeed, seven are an abomination to Him:
A proud look- the spirit that makes one overestimate himself and underestimate others, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
A heart that manufactures wicked thoughts and plans, feet that are swift in running to evil,
A false witness who breathes out lies, even under oath, and he who sows discord among his brethren."

Clark stopped reading to drink water.

"What are you reading?" Stevie asked.
"The Bible." Clark had finished his water by then and placed his cup back on the side table.
"What in it?"
"Oh, sorry. That makes more sense for you to mean that. I'm reading one chapter of Proverbs for every day of the month. Right now I'm on Proverbs 6."
"And what did that last part about sowing discord say?"

Clark turned back to the book to make sure. "It says he who sows discord among his brethren is an abomination unto the Lord."
"That's in the Bible?"
"Yeah, it's Proverbs 6, verse 19."

Damn. Darn. "Sorry, Jesus," thought Stevie.

"Well, that's cool Clark. Thanks."

Stevie turned back to his computer and stared at the screen. It didn't seem right to post troll messages after that. He shifted in his swivel chair and remembered something vaguely, going to a new tab and typing in "think on these things"

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]

Philippians 4:8.

"Alright, fine," sighed Stevie. "I get it."
"Did you say something?"
Clark looked up from his Bible and Stevie looked over his shoulder. "No, nothing."
"Ah, okay. Thanks anyway."
They each turned back to their own things.

Stevie sat in prayer for a while, then hovered over the tab. He thought seriously about it for a second, then hit the little X. No more thread, no more long troll post. It was kind of nice, he guessed. There wouldn't be a reply to read. He didn't have to worry about responding to that post anymore. He didn't have to think about it at all.

Enjoy.

Damn, those last few sentences are too relatable. We need more of this in the world and less arguing about Fire Emblem plot contrivances.

On 5/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, SoulWeaver said:

This is calling me out and I don't like it, haha.

Anyways, here we go:

Title: In Medias Res

(Yes this is a reference to Anon's prompt of the same name, this feels kind of like it fits that one)

Notes:

Reveal hidden contents

Guess who still spams ellipses way too much. IT'S ME AND I DON'T CARE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is a short one, only 678 words. I think it works out though. If it wasn't obvious, I used Chloey's offered prompt for this piece, though I'm not sure I did a good job. I was intending to do a separate piece for each of the suggested prompts, but only 3 out of the 4 got actually suggested ever and I spent too long waiting for that last one so this is all you get for the moment.

Bit too much In Medias Res. I'm, admittedly, a little lost. Well, I get the main thrust of the point of the story, and the idea is interesting, but I'm left wondering if this is a fanfic and I'm meant to know all of this already, if it's an excerpt from a larger original work, or if it's meant to stand alone.

And as far as overusing elipses go, I think it's fine in the middle of a sentence, but it's a bit weird at the start of a piece of dialogue. Especially when you've just mentioned in prose that there's a long pause.

Edited by Jotari

Y'all need to stop doing multi-way ties. I think this is the third month in a row...

A Short Non Entry

Spoiler

Thunder crackled behind the figure as they walked, claws clacking against the stone as water fell down from the sky creating torrents that would have drowned another being except them.

Red hide dappled with markings, glistened as water slid down them, wings tucked to their side as they made their way to the den before them.  Let the world drown.  Let the world die, they would take the time that they needed and rise up after the world clensed itself.

A deep regret came to them as they came to their den, all the others in a deep sleep that they were supposed to guard.  It was a shame that it had come to this...

Well whatever.  There was nothing to be done and they could only hope that the eggs were hidden enough from the foolish mortals who had sought to use them for gain.  Time would tell what would happen next.

They felt their body begin to become heavy as they kept moving towards the one pocket that the water would not get to, could not get to in any capacity as the arcane magic kept this place dry, safe and clear of the turbulent waters that now served to drown the world.

Only time would tell what was to be.

If that meant death in the end, well they'd all lived long enough to know that they would move on to the next world, and the next.

However many worlds it took for them to find the place of peace that they sought, their forms ever changing and shifting.

A faint voice sounded as the eggs still didn't stir, they would all be together for better or worse now.

Only time would tell what would be.

Congrats to @Jotari for taking the round! Once you are ready, please submit the next round's prompt.

Thank you to all who participated! I reckon the next writing phase will end June 3rd, but we'll see where we are when I get to updating the OP.

Oh, prompt. Been a while since I've had to come up with one of them. Hmm, let me see.

It Was At This Moment He Knew He Fucked Up

(feel free to substitute 'he' for 'she' or 'they', of course).

The price of Betrayal

Spoiler

Well folks, this is gonna be the last one from me for a while. I'm serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which will run for a period of two(2) years assuming nothing earth-shattering occurs to get me sent home early(or killed, however unlikely that possibility may be). Appreciate the good reads, it's been good to chill with you, I hope you'll all still be kicking when I get back. If you'd like to get emails from me then please PM me your email so I can add you to the list.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:51 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Well folks, this is gonna be the last one from me for a while. I'm serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which will run for a period of two(2) years assuming nothing earth-shattering occurs to get me sent home early(or killed, however unlikely that possibility may be). Appreciate the good reads, it's been good to chill with you, I hope you'll all still be kicking when I get back. If you'd like to get emails from me then please PM me your email so I can add you to the list.

Well dang, good for you, I think! Sorry to see you go, but you'll still be around in some capacity, right?

OP is updated!

On 5/28/2023 at 8:51 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Good luck! One of my friends got back from a mission recently, and he loved his experience. We shall miss you, and look forward to seeing you in a while!

On 5/29/2023 at 12:51 PM, SoulWeaver said:

The price of Betrayal

Hide contents

You're not allowed to have casual internet usage during that period?

OP is updated! Congrats to @SoulWeaver for a victory in his last entry for a while.

The next writing phase will end Friday, July 14. Happy writing, all!

I've just voted making it 2:0. Wasn't a hard choice as Chloey's was very brief.

Is Soul still around to give the prompt?

Edited by Jotari

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've just voted making it 2:0. Wasn't a hard choice as Chloey's was very brief.

Is Soul still around to give the prompt?

On 6/10/2023 at 11:30 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

Soul told me in the event that he takes this one out to give the following as the Theme: Goodbyes

Please read my above post as that is the theme.