Benice

Write Your Butt Off 358/II.8 prompts HD Final Chapter Prologue

On 5/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, Newtype06 said:

Can you give me feedback on my work?

Oh yeah, we're supposed to do that. Should probably remember to do that.

Here's a brief preview of my WIP entry.

Spoiler

It is the present year, and weed is legal. Yet the streets are filled with illegal marijuana.

Weed was not make legal unconditionally. Only FDA certified producers, namely a small handful of powerful pharmaceutical corporations, could legally grow and sell weed. No at-home plants, no hand-rolled blunts, and all pot brownies had to come wrapped up like Little Debbie treats. Big pharma colluded to ensure the price of weed was, and remained, through the roof. A million dollars a gram- not as bad as you think because of runaway inflation, but still really bad. With so many crappy memes about weed, demand was equally high. People, living in denial of an addiction an alcoholic would have owned up to 20 years ago, could not afford legal weed. Even worse, no matter how much you think weed sucks, the FDA approved weed is even worse. So the black market for weed grew even stronger.

2 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Yeah I got nothing this round

Reveal hidden contents

Because mecha are not as easy to write about...

I promised myself I'd write something for this round, just to contribute, even if it's bad, but I'm also struggling to think of anything to write about.

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I promised myself I'd write something for this round, just to contribute, even if it's bad, but I'm also struggling to think of anything to write about.

Writer's Block.

It's a bitch.

Lol I'm at two ideas and counting. Robotsrobotsrobots

On 5/13/2022 at 11:00 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Oh yeah, we're supposed to do that. Should probably remember to do that.

Here's a brief preview of my WIP entry.

Hide contents

It is the present year, and weed is legal. Yet the streets are filled with illegal marijuana.

Weed was not make legal unconditionally. Only FDA certified producers, namely a small handful of powerful pharmaceutical corporations, could legally grow and sell weed. No at-home plants, no hand-rolled blunts, and all pot brownies had to come wrapped up like Little Debbie treats. Big pharma colluded to ensure the price of weed was, and remained, through the roof. A million dollars a gram- not as bad as you think because of runaway inflation, but still really bad. With so many crappy memes about weed, demand was equally high. People, living in denial of an addiction an alcoholic would have owned up to 20 years ago, could not afford legal weed. Even worse, no matter how much you think weed sucks, the FDA approved weed is even worse. So the black market for weed grew even stronger.

...Out of curiosity, did you miss the part where I jumped in and broke the tie in favor of the mecha prompt? If so, uh, that happened. If not, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Edited by SoulWeaver

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

...Out of curiosity, did you miss the part where I jumped in and broke the tie in favor of the mecha prompt? If so, uh, that happened. If not, I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Oh, I saw it. It all ties together.

Third idea hit me here at work today, clearly the rest of you need to play more Mechaman because Anon and I are the only ones going off here.

19 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Oh, I saw it. It all ties together.

In that case, I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Okay. I promised I'd write something, and I did. It's a short little one that I whipped up in the past half hour or so, but it has a fun premise and I think delivers the point in comedic enough manner for me to be satisfied with. Not my best, but at least I've finally submitted something since the first round.

Name: MEK-Alpha

Word Count: 1249

Eh, for some reason all the paragraph indents vanished and the text was entirely rendered in bold which I can't undo...so yeah, that's not intentional. Maybe it adds to the charm.

Spoiler

MEK-Alpha

“So gentlemen,” the centre general said. “We hear you have some competing designs for us.”

Sherman didn’t wait for the other man to speak. He cleared his throat and jumped straight into his presentation. “Modern AI seen in self driving cars has grown extensively over the past few years, yet this has been completely neglected in the military sphere. That’s why I’m here to present to you,” he unrolled his document and placed it on the stand, “the ADT-1, the world’s first ever self-driving tank.”

He paused, waiting to see if any of the generals would ask any questions. He could feel his pits beginning to sweat and decided to get it over with as soon as possible, “Modern tanks now have a crew of 4-6, but with a new auto loading system implemented along with the automatic driving, the ADT-1 requires only two soldiers to be fully operated.”

Again, he paused, waiting for some kind of interaction, but he was met with only mute and moderate interest. “And, eh,” he continued on, “in case there is an issue with the system, it can be swapped back to manual control.”

“Issue with the system,” the general on the right said. “So it’s not a self driving tank?”

“Well,” Sherman spluttered, “yes, it is, but modern self driving technology is designed around roads, while tanks will be going cross country, so there is a chance of-”

“We can’t afford our tanks suddenly changing direction in the middle of a battle.”

“But that’s not what would happen. Is still have the most sophisticated AI ever developed. I have it in my own four wheel,”

The centre general raised his hand, “okay, okay, let’s set aside the self driving gimmick. What kind of fire power is this thing packing.”

Before Sherman could respond, the other researcher cleared his throat and stood up. “If I may, men.” He pulled down Sherman’s sketch of the ADT-1 and put up his own plans. “My name is Takamoto and this, is the future of the armed forces,” he pulled back, revealing the plans. It was a coloured document of a robot. “If you want fire power, then look no further than the MEK-Alpha.”

The three generals leaned forward with interest. “Is that a mech?”

The other man smiled. “Yes, yes it is. And unlike a tank, it can be staffed with just one person.”

“So what kind of fire power does it have?” the centre general asked again.

“It’s got gatling guns on its shoulders, a flame thrower in it’s left arm, and in it’s right, a sword for melee combat.”

Melee combat, Sherman thought, when is something like that ever going to have to deal with melee combat?

The generals looked excited though. “Say, any missiles on this thing?” the lefhand general said.

“Ah, yes,” Takamoto said, “we have experiment with missiles, but the force of a launch unbalances the mech. Right now we’re considering launching several barrages of homing missiles at once to provide stability. They will emerge from the arms and legs of the MEK-Alpha.”

“So, like, it could shoot in multiple directions at once,” the general on the right said.

Takamoto nodded excitedly. “Yes, yes. Allow me to demonstrate.” He disappeared and returned a moment later wheeling a TV. “This is a little computer based mock up I’ve made. I’ll need 18 million for the actual prototype.”

“But my ADT-1 can be developed for less than three million,” Sherman said, weakly, but no one was listening, all eyes were fixed on Takamoto’s TV where there was an image of a mech running around a city cutting up tanks. “That’s…that’s a video game,” Sherman moaned, but he was being ignored completely now. “That’s not real at all.”

“Say,” said the right hand general, “did that thing just fly? Does this thing have a jetpack?”

“Yes. And I should note, that the MEK-Alpha is fueled entirely by clean nuclear energy.”

“Oh great, that’ll go down well with the environmentalists.”

“You can’t send something with a nuclear reactor into a battle zone,” Sherman practically screamed. This seemed to get their attention, but only insofar as the generals remembered he existed.

“Sherman,” the central one said, “I want you to help mr Takamoto on  his prototype. Maybe we can use your guidance system for maneuvering the the mech.”

“My AI is based entirely around a grounded vehicle,” Sherman said, exasperatedly, “I can’t just port if over to a walking mech. We can barely have human sized robots that can run.”

“Not to worry man,” the lefthand general said, “we have full faith in  your capability.”

Takamoto smiled. “Looks like you’ll be working under me.”

“So men,” the central general said. “The unveiling of the MEK-Alpha was an astounding success.”

“It fell over,” Sherman muttered.

“Yes, well, that’s your department,” Takamoto said. “You were the one in charge of navigation.”

“It can’t be done,” Sherman said. “I can’t get a robot to run as fast as a car can drive.”

“Now, now, Sherman,” the right hand general said, “it’s not a robot, it’s a mech.”

“It doesn’t matter what it is, we can’t design legs that can run as fast as a car even on flat terrain!”

“That’s what they said about self driving cars when I was a lad,” the left hand general said. “Now they’re everywhere. I’m sure you’ll figure it out.”

“Was the prototype damaged during the unveiling?” the central general asked.

Takamoto shrugged. “A few scratches. We could patch it up for less than sixty grand.”

“Excellent. Well I think we can begin production on some actual models as soon as the navigation issues are sorted out. Everyone loved the sword and the missiles.”

“You did it. You really pulled it off. Everyone said the mech was impractical, that it couldn’t be made to run, but you really sorted out those navigation issues. The military can’t thank you enough, Mr Takamoto.”

“But I was the one who programmed the running AI,” Sherman cried, but as per usual, no one was listening to him.

“Now,” said the right hand general, “we’ve made an order of a hundred of them. They’re expensive, so we don’t want to overdo it. They still haven’t been tested in a rela combat situation. Fortunately we’ve just invaded Angola, so that will be the perfect opportunity.”

Sherman leaped to his feet. “Angola! I’ve made it clear the navigation system only works on straight flat roads.”

“There are roads in Angola,” the left hand general said.

“The rebels are hiding in the jungle!”

“Well then, the flame thrower it has should be perfect.”

“So men, it’s bad news, we’ve lost over half of the MEK-Alphas that were deployed in Angola."

"They kept falling over," Sherman muttered."

The general ignored him and continued. "We want the two of you to work on means of improving the design specifically for jungle based combat. You two have done a fine job so far, so we have every confidence in your success.”

“I’ve been giving the issue some thought since you emailed me,” Takamoto said, “and I’ve already prepared a solution.” He placed a set of plans on the stand. “I present to you, the MEK-Rex!” He unveiled the plans to show a drawing of a metal dinosaur.

The generals all looked at each other excitedly. “My god Takamoto, it’s brilliant, you’ve done it again!”

Sherman just stared back and forth between the generals and Takamoto. “What age are we allowed to retire at?” he asked himself, because he knew the room at large wouldn’t answer.

Edited by Jotari

Okay I'm going to be real here...

I've been writing a dragon AU and no you guys won't get to see it because it's M.

We know the deal if you want to see my stuff A03.  And yeah I just dropped in to say I have a bad case of the lack of motivation to write for the theme.  Nothing PG rated anyway.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

When in doubt throw ANIMAY into it. Fabulous.

Meanwhile Chloey outing that she was really hoping for that drugs prompt smh is bad for yu.

Oh no....   noooooooo

I honestly have no experience with mecha at all except for skells in Xenoblade Chronicles X, so I decided to call the mechas in my story skells since those are about the only mechas I'm familiar with. Anyway, this story is very short, but I hope my approach to it is unique enough to warrant some reader imagination. I don't think it's that good at all, but hopefully someone can get some semblance of enjoyment out of it.

Title: Voice Log #195144-851216

Word Count: 663