Primary and secondary education thread

Armchair General

Education has an massive impact on our lives, from starting your first day in kindergarten to deciding which degree to get from college to begin a career that sets you apart from everyone else. 

Nominally, our school days will only haunt us once throughout our lifetimes; until you concern yourself with the ever-changing curriculum and policies  that will affect the learning experience of the next generation or just managing the stress of pursuing an higher education.

But with the semi-recent focus on fighting racism, it's kind of hard not to ignore what's going on. Although, this is mainly during the fad of renaming stuff and tearing down Confederate statues. But I find it best not  to get wound up over politics because there's usually something worse down the line.

Edited by Armchair General

>Ask about school choice
>Change subject to college
>Get exiled from the politics thread
>New thread about education
>"Anyway, Confederate monuments-"

File:Ight Imma Head Out.jpg - Meming Wiki

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well that's just an criticism of universities being bad rather than the general notion that having someone dedicate themselves to an actual task in guided setting is a waste of time. I don't really want a surgeon operating on me who learned surgery by watching a couple of youtube videos.

Exactly. I was criticizing colleges and their perception in western culture, I'm very much still in favor of mentorship and would-be surgeons practicing on cadavers. Although I suppose there are ways to get those online as well.

Anyway, that's all the important stuff discussion energy I have for a while. Y'all have fun though.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:07 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

>Ask about school choice

Exactly. I was criticizing colleges and their perception in western culture, I'm very much still in favor of mentorship and would-be surgeons practicing on cadavers. Although I suppose there are ways to get those online as well.

Anyway, that's all the important stuff discussion energy I have for a while. Y'all have fun though.

yeah, i mean, in truth school only works for some people. "it" referring to the way school is structured. it hasn't changed much in hundreds of years in (most of) the world and certainly the united states. pedagogical studies have shown as much and are one of the handful of reasons universities "give cs degrees to folks who can't code." lesson->hw->exam simply doesn't work for the vast majority of people; it's boring, lazy, and impractical. interestingly, we all still have this internal belief that performance in school is somehow proportional to performance in life.

what pedagogical studies have *also* shown is that our educational infrastructure is not just decrepit, but inefficient too. the answers on how to fix this mess are obvious to the layman too, and backed up: more hands-on, practical, 1-on-1 lesson plans, but the issue with that is money. no nation intends to invest in this because we get by with the 10-15% of people who excel in the environment already established.

an excellent analogy is obamacare and common core. a positive step towards what we need, but in reality it's much too small a step towards how things ought to be.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

• 6 months later...
On 11/14/2021 at 4:07 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

>Ask about school choice

Exactly. I was criticizing colleges and their perception in western culture, I'm very much still in favor of mentorship and would-be surgeons practicing on cadavers. Their leadership is unwarranted, as detailed in the essay  https://papersowl.com/examples/leadership/ on the free resource. Although I suppose there are ways to get those online as well.

If somewhere in the distance you hear a sound, it's my laughter.🤣

Edited by LarryWilson

On 5/27/2022 at 12:04 PM, LarryWilson said:

If somewhere in the distance you hear a sound, it's my laughter.🤣

Thank you, it's always a pleasure to bring someone laughter. It brightens my day to hear I brightened someone's day.

• 7 months later...

I agree that the education system is imperfect. And a lot needs to be fixed. But I don't think there is an alternative yet. The only thing you can do is spend more time on self-education. Fortunately, there are many learning programs and services now such as https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/sociology/ that can help you improve your level of education. Moreover, it is very convenient, because the whole process takes place online and does not take much time.

Edited by SunnyGuy