New Heroes & Ascended Laegjarn

IGdood

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Stats response:

Reveal hidden contents

I was expecting Tanith to be pretty decent, but I wasn't expecting her to be quite this good, given she's the instant demote. Her superboon in Spd actually has her beat Mahnya by 1 Spd after Dragonflowers while having the same Atk, and Tanith having higher Def than Res makes her slightly better for dealing with more common physical melee units. Currently both the best free-to-play offensive sword flier and the best offensive sword flier without an exclusive weapon.

Marcia is less surprising and comfortably beats both Seteth and Deet'var for the best free-to-play offensive lance flier and Deet'var for the best offensive lance flier without an exclusive weapon.

Volke and Astrid being min-maxed to Hell and back is unsurprising. It's nice to see Volke have more physical bulk than magical bulk on top of getting +5 from his weapon, unlike Yuri, and I'm slightly less worried about his survivability.

We already saw Laegjarn's stats in the trailer, so there nothing new to see here.

And I was expecting Bertram to basically be red Orson, and... he's almost exactly red Orson. Without Dragonflowers, Bertram has +2/-1/-1/+2/+3 compared to Orson, but doesn't have an exclusive weapon, which kind of really sucks, and after Dragonflowers, Bertram's stats are whittled down to +1/-2/-2/+1/+2 compared to Orson's. Yeah, as predicted, he's yet another slow-ass unit with an Instant weapon as his default. Bleh.

Spoiler

Bertram even has two of the same default skills (Ignis, Rouse Atk/Def 3) as Orson too.

You can't convince me that what we got on Bertram wasn't a scrapped rough draft of Orson. This is just freaking sad, but an appropriate end to the Book V cast of GHBs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Stats response:

Hide contents

I was expecting Tanith to be pretty decent, but I wasn't expecting her to be quite this good, given she's the instant demote. Her superboon in Spd actually has her beat Mahnya by 1 Spd after Dragonflowers while having the same Atk, and Tanith having higher Def than Res makes her slightly better for dealing with more common physical melee units. Currently both the best free-to-play offensive sword flier and the best offensive sword flier without an exclusive weapon.

Marcia is less surprising and comfortably beats both Seteth and Deet'var for the best free-to-play offensive lance flier and Deet'var for the best offensive lance flier without an exclusive weapon.

Volke and Astrid being min-maxed to Hell and back is unsurprising. It's nice to see Volke have more physical bulk than magical bulk on top of getting +5 from his weapon, unlike Yuri, and I'm slightly less worried about his survivability.

We already saw Laegjarn's stats in the trailer, so there nothing new to see here.

And I was expecting Bertram to basically be red Orson, and... he's almost exactly red Orson. Without Dragonflowers, Bertram has +2/-1/-1/+2/+3 compared to Orson, but doesn't have an exclusive weapon, which kind of really sucks, and after Dragonflowers, Bertram's stats are whittled down to +1/-2/-2/+1/+2 compared to Orson's. Yeah, as predicted, he's yet another slow-ass unit with an Instant weapon as his default. Bleh.

EDIT:

Running out of girls is never going to happen because alts are a thing.

Are we looking at the same stats?

It's not the stats I'm talking about, into the weapon. I mentioned it earlier. No Tempest Sword.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

One thing I'm still surprised about was them making Tatiana such a throw away unit. She's a good unit in her own games and it's been a while since we've had a healer that really focuses on healing. Most staff bots recently seem offensively inclined. Tatiana easily could have been a great unit yet they wasted her by making her free. They've also kind of shot themselves in the foot with future Valentin banners. Making the likes of Jessie or Atlas the throw away banner and keeping Tatiana as a future banner seller seems like it would have been a smarter thing to do. But I guess they were married to the idea of introducing Zeke and Tatiana at the same time. Making Thanith a throw away unit here is somewhat similar. She could have been kept for a future banner while someone like Brom or Kyza could be the instant demote. A bit more egregious here considering were getting another Pegasus at the same time as a demote. For as much as they're running out of girls, they don't seem to be playing the odds well recently.

I mean, we already saw her weapon in the trailer.

Oh did we? I thought she just showed up at the end with a "she's here too message". Unless you mean on the actual sprite.

Edited by Jotari

Bertram walked so Tanith and Marcia can soar. :[

Still gonna make a speed build as planned though lol.

image.png.db89cb8ac27f677ad928ae8d5c0f1d0b.png

Edited by FlyingKitsune

31 pulls to get Ascendant Laegjarn. I'm not happy with this, but I have enough orbs to Spark on the next New Heroes banner if something catches my interest too. This does mean that I can't pull for Ninja Corrin/Elise Duo though. Another thing to save for next year I guess. (Alongside this year's summer banner and Halloween Byleth/Sothis Duo.) The real decision will be if I want to pull nine more times to Spark for another Ascendant Laegjarn. I'm leaning towards "no," but those sunk-cost fallacy and completionist sides of me are warring. 

59 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

From the makers of *groans of increasing discomfort*, we're now given this gem:

Hide contents

d4cxcrhxw3081.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

This almost makes up for how badly this man got shafted.

I'm pretty sure Bertram actually does use words in his dialogue despite the whole crazy aspect, but this is way better (if it's actually real).

On the subject of Bertram, I'm not exactly opposed to the idea of him getting in (though I think they could have afforded to give him the Runesword), but I think he would have been better served as a Fallen Hero addition. It even looks like his artwork was designed for such a banner with all the dark swirls. Now that he is in, along with the Black Knight and Petrine, I wonder if we'll ever get Bryce some day.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm pretty sure Bertram actually does use words in his dialogue despite the whole crazy aspect, but this is way better (if it's actually real).

On the subject of Bertram, I'm not exactly opposed to the idea of him getting in (though I think they could have afforded to give him the Runesword), but I think he would have been better served as a Fallen Hero addition. It even looks like his artwork was designed for such a banner with all the dark swirls. Now that he is in, along with the Black Knight and Petrine, I wonder if we'll ever get Bryce some day.

I think he would have made it in as a Fallen if artistic reasons where at the heart of those decision rather than financial ones. Fallen Heroes seem like Whale bait and an extremely minor Tellius character makes for poor bait. 

8 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think he would have made it in as a Fallen if artistic reasons where at the heart of those decision rather than financial ones. Fallen Heroes seem like Whale bait and an extremely minor Tellius character makes for poor bait. 

Well if he were a GHB unit for Fallen Heroes it wouldn't have much impact in terms of whale bait, any more than him being a GHB unit here does. Like for the last Grand Hero Battle during a Fallen Banner we had Orson, who isn't exactly massively more popular than Bertram (and kind of fits the theme slightly less). Though maybe they're just running out of potential GHB units for Path of Radiance (without randomly making them allied playable characters like they do sometimes). The only ones really remaining would be Bryce and Tauroneo, maybe Ena, but I'd say she'll be saved for a banner. Tauroneo likewise might get in on a banner some day (he's more of a case of someone who could, but doesn't need to be, a GHB) and when it comes to Bryce vs Bertram, Bertram is more noteable.

Edited by Jotari

Damn, I can only sparkle once. I was expecting to get another free Laegjarn. Oh well, I did manage to summon another copy normally. Too bad her boon is defense. Not optimal for her, but I suppose it beats neutral once I merge her

41 minutes ago, Midnox said:

Damn, I can only sparkle once. I was expecting to get another free Laegjarn. Oh well, I did manage to summon another copy normally. Too bad her boon is defense. Not optimal for her, but I suppose it beats neutral once I merge her

Most banners only have one spark, banners that offer more specifically say so. (CYL and last year's Winter banner.)

On 11/17/2021 at 5:35 AM, GrandeRampel said:.

Are you sure about that? Personally after the Jill fiasco of a character hugely requested that's also a cute girl failing miserably as a carry and after even banners with multiple cute waifus (Charlotte, Nyx, Hapi, Constance) needing an OC with them I'm starting to think IS changed how they view the remaining female characters, and they might be right.

Yeah. Astrid isn’t carrying this banner either. But even with an Ascended/Mythic carrying, the other two premium slots should be for popular and recognisable* characters, and the three budget slots should be to fill out the roster.

*Eg, alts of seasonal debutants. The forging bonds even went to the trouble of reminding players that Bride Tanith exists.

15 hours ago, Jotari said:

I haven't checked any recent ststs for gender (personally im more of a by game record keeper) we talk units added overall then yeah, I'd say its roughly even. But if we talk about how many units they're directly trying to make money off of then I would say it leans towards female, as almost every GHB unit (ie free unit) is male and almost every legendary unit us female. So running out of girls does seem like it could upset the business model they depend on.

Thanith looks as disappointing as expected.

Thats it! That is exactly it.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Stats response:

Reveal hidden contents

EDIT:

Running out of girls is never going to happen because alts are a thing.

Are we looking at the same stats?

Well, yeah. There are always the alts. Actually, I think that the biggest problem of FEH becoming the Waifu Emblem is not the amount of OG alts for female and male units (as Ice Dragon said, IS is probably adding about as many female characters as male characters to FEH, I havent cosidered that before when I posted that reddit thread here I guess), the biggest problem for me really are the alts. I dont want to do any research right now but I'm pretty sure that way more girls get alts, specially stuff like bridal alts, summer alts, New Year alts, easter alts, or any event that they can make sexy alts. Also the OCs are almost all female and this is pretty tiring (and the amount of male OCs that get alts is even lower). So with new heroes banners I don't really mind when they add women, the problem is more when I see a new seasonal banner and the marjority of the characters there are women using sexy clothes as if they were screaming "Spend money to have me!", and this will keep happening even if we "run out" of women for new heroes banners anyway I guess

Edited by ARMADS!!!

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Well if he were a GHB unit for Fallen Heroes it wouldn't have much impact in terms of whale bait, any more than him being a GHB unit here does. Like for the last Grand Hero Battle during a Fallen Banner we had Orson, who isn't exactly massively more popular than Bertram (and kind of fits the theme slightly less). Though maybe they're just running out of potential GHB units for Path of Radiance (without randomly making them allied playable characters like they do sometimes). The only ones really remaining would be Bryce and Tauroneo, maybe Ena, but I'd say she'll be saved for a banner. Tauroneo likewise might get in on a banner some day (he's more of a case of someone who could, but doesn't need to be, a GHB) and when it comes to Bryce vs Bertram, Bertram is more noteable.

Coming to think about it, considering this seems to be a Begnion banner with Tanith, Marcia and Astrid, they could have given us one of the senators as a GHB. Yeah they're not a big part of Path of Radiance, but they still appear breifly and being in the wrong game didn't stop us getting GHB Haar on his Path of Radiance map during a Radiant Dawn banner. And let's face it, Numida is the last character that's going to get in on a banner based on looks XD

Still on the topic of Bertram, I just noticed a subtle interface spoiler.

Spoiler

Instead of being grouped with the Daein characters, his placement in the Catalog of Heroes is after dancer Nephenee.

At that point, they might as well have put his spot after Elincia’s.

9 hours ago, Othin said:

Most banners only have one spark, banners that offer more specifically say so. (CYL and last year's Winter banner.)

Yeah, until Ascended Fjorm, I’ve never really sparkled. Until then, I’ve mostly focused on legendary, and then mythic heroes

12 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Still on the topic of Bertram, I just noticed a subtle interface spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Instead of being grouped with the Daein characters, his placement in the Catalog of Heroes is after dancer Nephenee.

At that point, they might as well have put his spot after Elincia’s.

Spoiler

IMHO you are overestimating how much of the casual playerbase (which are the ones to actually protect from spoilers) actually reads "meet some of the Heroes" and thinks that deeply about it, to then connect the infomation teased her to his placement in the catalogue. Even if a casual player noticed that Bertram is placed with the Crimeans the only thing they would think is that they are from Crimea, which is just as big of a spoiler as revealing that Soren is from Daein.

Their birthplace isn't that much of a spoiler because you have to actually have some context about other characters and events to figure it out and it's perfectly possible that a random player doesn't even remember who Elincia is because they never pulled her and she never appears in Forging Bonds and TT+.

Compare that to the spoilers that requite no effort at all like Zelgius, Nemesis and all the Fallen units. You don't even need to read their lines, their appearance alone spoils some events of their games.

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:
  Hide contents

IMHO you are overestimating how much of the casual playerbase (which are the ones to actually protect from spoilers) actually reads "meet some of the Heroes" and thinks that deeply about it, to then connect the infomation teased her to his placement in the catalogue. Even if a casual player noticed that Bertram is placed with the Crimeans the only thing they would think is that they are from Crimea, which is just as big of a spoiler as revealing that Soren is from Daein.

Their birthplace isn't that much of a spoiler because you have to actually have some context about other characters and events to figure it out and it's perfectly possible that a random player doesn't even remember who Elincia is because they never pulled her and she never appears in Forging Bonds and TT+.

Compare that to the spoilers that requite no effort at all like Zelgius, Nemesis and all the Fallen units. You don't even need to read their lines, their appearance alone spoils some events of their games.

Fallen Ike doesn't spoil anything because he doesn't even exist in Tellius (which is why it totally should have been fallen Greil instead).

4 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I called it subtle for a reason. Of course the typical FEH normie will think nothing of the hints about Bertram since they aren’t completely in your face like with Zelgius.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fallen Ike doesn't spoil anything because he doesn't even exist in Tellius (which is why it totally should have been fallen Greil instead).

Actually that makes him better. It's a fake spoiler that will throw players for a loop when things don't go that way in the original game. More what if units like him would be nice. And it's not like there are a lot of candidates left for Fallen Banners (I mean, there are all the morphs and dealords but only a few of them are zombies of popular characters).