Superstars's choice of boards.

FailWood

How do you feel about the board selection in Mario Party Superstars (if we ignore that there's only 5 boards)?

Aside from Yoshi's Tropical Island and Horror Land, I feel like there could've been better choices.

I would've taken either Western Land or Bowser Land over Space Land even though it's an ok-ish board.

While they improved Peach's Birthday Cake, I still think it was one of the worst boards to pull from Mario Party 1 (still better then Wario's Battle Canyon if I can give it any other credit).  Would've taken DK's Jungle Adventure or Mario's Rainbow Castle over it.

Woody Woods is another ok-ish board, but not picking Waluigi's Island was a major missed opportunity.  Arguably one of the most creative boards in the franchise's history, while still being really fun (it's theme is also a bop, and fits the character ridiculously well).  If not Waluigi's Island, then maybe Spiny Desert for it's mirage gimmick, for the sake of having something different.

@AnonymousSpeed  It was even worse in the original game because the flower lottery was BEFORE the star instead of after it like it is here.  Making it after the star was a good change, but not enough to salvage it.

Superstars reeks of DLC potential, and I absolutely welcome it (seriously, why is there only 2 minigames from Mario Party 8?)

Edited by FailWood

17 minutes ago, FailWood said:

@AnonymousSpeed  It was even worse in the original game because the flower lottery was BEFORE the star instead of after it like it is here.  Making it after the star was a good change, but not enough to salvage it.

Superstars reeks of DLC potential, and I absolutely welcome it (seriously, why is there only 2 minigames from Mario Party 8?)

A friend and I were wondering if there were any Mario Party 8 minigames, thanks for clearing that up.

But yeah. Flower lottery before the star sounds wretched.

Honestly, I need some boards from the GameCube games. Definitely the bias from growing up with them. Plus some more playable characters would be nice. Boo mains rise up!

I was fine with the board choices for the most part though I would have prefered a different board from Mario Party 3 like Spiny Desert or Deep Bloober Sea. I really hope they add future updates to the game or DLC (assuming it's a reasonable price) in the future with more characters like Pauline or Diddy Kong, more boards (since there was a datamine that said there is room for at least a sixth board) and more items such as Reverse Mushroom and Boo Repellant would be nice as well.

Edited by NSSKG151

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Can we pour one out for my boy Shy Guy?

Would like to see him or Dry Bones again.

2 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

more boards (since there was a datamine that said there is room for at least a sixth board) and more items such as Reverse Mushroom and Boo Repellant would be nice as well.

I'm hoping that datamine wasn't just showing a place holder.  Reverse Mushrooms were the greatest idea for an item from Mario Party 3, and I would love Boo Repellents for protection.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Can we pour one out for my boy Shy Guy?

I'll pour out one for Shy Guy, one for Toadsworth, and the rest for Koopa Kid. That blasted Bowser Jr., riding nepotism into a job that Koopa Kid worked hard for, dammit!

1 hour ago, MaryMcLeod said:

I have a little bit of experience playing mobile games like PUBG and FreeFire. How many of you guys played this game so far?

That doesn't seem relevant to the context of this thread.

11 hours ago, FailWood said:

I don't understand why people are so wishful for DLC. Make it Free-LC, like we saw with Mario Golf and Pokemon Snap! Paid DLC in a multiplayer-oriented game would just mean playing the same old maps, because not everyone wanted to pony up extra for the new stuff.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't understand why people are so wishful for DLC. Make it Free-LC, like we saw with Mario Golf and Pokemon Snap! Paid DLC in a multiplayer-oriented game would just mean playing the same old maps, because not everyone wanted to pony up extra for the new stuff.

I just want more content from this game regardless if it's free or not, but I'm aware of how mixed Nintendo has been with that when it comes to Mario.  Mario Kart 8, Mario Tennis Aces, and Mario Maker 1 received good updates, but others like Odyssey, Super Mario Party, and most of the 3DS entries got little to nothing.  I'm also unsure of how invested they are with Mario Golf Super Rush, but it's definitely not getting the same amount of attention that Aces got.

I've only played one round on Yoshi's Tropical Island but first impressions are pretty good! I feel like I say this in every Mario Party but you seem to get a lot of coins. There never appears to be an advantage for having earned 100+ except for winning a star tie on the final results, which is generally unlikely (you don't need the most coins, you just need more coins than your main rival). I understand a lot of players prefer a 10 or 15 turn game, but I don't like the coin economy being balanced around it. Maybe the best thing to do about that is to somehow drop the coin gain from minigames and other sources when you're playing a longer game.

As for the board selection, I'm honestly annoyed hearing about the change to Peach's Birthday Cake. A lot of Mario Party 1 boards always embraced the RNG chaos compared to later entries, and although most players hated that board with a passion, it gets very funny and interesting when you're playing a 35 or 50 turn game and every player has carved out their territory with those expensive star plants by the late game. But seeing how this game is more balanced around shorter turn counts I agree there were better options from Mario Party 1. Linear path boards like Peach's cake and Rainbow Castle are bad design, but I appreciate the thought process of going with one of those just for variety. I would have liked to see Bowser's Magma Mountain for that slot. Definitely the most underrated board in the original, and it would work even better with this game's higher coin economy. And I love the chance of Bowser taking a star when you reach him. There's a lot of choices you're forced to make just moving around and I would have liked to see how items would have changed the experience. Plus my man Bowser deserves a board themed after him after not being playable in this game.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

50 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

A lot of Mario Party 1 boards always embraced the RNG chaos compared to later entries, and although most players hated that board with a passion, it gets very funny and interesting when you're playing a 35 or 50 turn game and every player has carved out their territory with those expensive star plants by the late game.

Mario Party 1 was the most "no holds barred" game in the series, and few games had a board(s) that had the same level of chaos (Again, why no Bowser Land or Waluigi's Island?).

The satisfaction of creating your own territory on a board is why I like playing Monopoly.

The only board I truly dislike is Woody Woods. It's always been my least favorite of the Mario Party 3 boards and I would've been happier with any other board.

I feel similarly about Space Land but I don't hate it. I just like Pirates or Western more.

I've never played the first Mario Party so I don't have any strong opinions but I'm OK with the ones that were picked.

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Why not have all the boards of the N64 trilogy?

Because that would be 20 boards total (if we don't count Minigame Stadium from 1 and 2).  I strongly doubt they would be committed to doing that.  Heck, even adding 5 boards to make it 10 is unlikely.

They could at least have picked the best half of each game to make 10. Or included some boards from the other games, too. I'd have suggested one choice board from each game in the series plus a Bowser Board, a "Best of" collection. Although, I haven't played any entry past 7 myself, so I can't really speak as to what the best boards from 8, 9, 10, and Super would be. Still, after looking up the boards on Mario Wiki, this is the list I'd suggest:

• Mario Party: Peach's Birthday Cake
  • Mario Party 2: Western Land
  • Mario Party 3: Waluigi's Island
  • Mario Party 4: Koopa's Seaside Soiree
  • Mario Party 5: Sweet Dream
  • Mario Party 6: Snowflake Lake
  • Mario Party 7: Grand Canal
  • Mario Party 8: DK's Treetop Temple
  • Mario Party 9: Toad Road
  • Mario Party 10: Whimsical Waters
  • Super Mario Party: Whomp's Domino Ruins
  • Bowser: Bowser Land

And to be fair, 5-6 boards is the norm for this series, but given that Superstars is supposed to be a celebration of sorts, I figure it'd have been proper to feature more than the usual number of boards.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

They could at least have picked the best half of each game to make 10. Or included some boards from the other games, too. I'd have suggested one choice board from each game in the series plus a Bowser Board, a "Best of" collection. Although, I haven't played any entry past 7 myself, so I can't really speak as to what the best boards from 8, 9, 10, and Super would be. Still, after looking up the boards on Mario Wiki, this is the list I'd suggest:

And to be fair, 5-6 boards is the norm for this series, but given that Superstars is supposed to be a celebration of sorts, I figure it'd have been proper to feature more than the usual number of boards.

The problem with adding boards outside of the N64 era is that they play by their own core system, between the board design of 4 using the Mini/Mega system, the Capsule system of 5, 6, and 7 (not to mention that 5 uses a different Capsule system then 6 and 7 did), the Candy system of 8, and the "Everyone travels together" system of 9 and 10.  Out of all of those, 4 and 8 would be the easiest to implement, but they would feel out of place.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Lord_Brand said:

I like this notion! Honestly, though, you could probably trim this by two. Super Mario Party already exists on the Switch, so it doesn't really need a representative in Superstars. And the Bowser Map could be drawn from the existing pool of games - i.e. Mario Party 7 could give us "Bowser's Enchanted Inferno!", rather than "Grand Canal". Ten boards from the ten home console pre-Switch titles would be just about perfect. If there's a big obstacle I see, it's figuring out how to deal with the "car" system that 9 and 10 gave us.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:45 PM, FailWood said:

The problem with adding boards outside of the N64 era is that they play by their own core system, between the board design of 4 using the Mini/Mega system, the Capsule system of 5, 6, and 7 (not to mention that 5 uses a different Capsule system then 6 and 7 did), the Candy system of 8, and the "Everyone travels together" system of 9 and 10.  Out of all of those, 4 and 8 would be the easiest to implement, but they would feel out of place.

I don't see Orbs as a big problem, at least re: Mario Party 7. Most Orbs could just be replaced by an equivalent item, and we'd be no worse off.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I don't see Orbs as a big problem, at least re: Mario Party 7. Most Orbs could just be replaced by an equivalent item, and we'd be no worse off.

Some of the effects of the Capsules you throw in 7 can be devastating.  Like a Piranha Plant stealing half of any opponent's coins, then gives them to whoever used it.  Force someone to lose all their Capsules (or items in this case) with Mr. Blizzard, or a Tweester that randomly warps an opponent.  Spear Guy taking between 5 to 30 coins based on what his victim rolls, the gives then to who used him, could go on for a bit.

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Crazy idea, but what if they'd gone for a full HD remake compilation? Like, the entirety of Mario Party 1, 2, and 3, redone with updated graphics, tweaked boards and mechanics, and maybe extra playable characters?

Aside from it being a full compilation, that's what Superstars is.  Updated graphics, tweaked boards, and while there's only 2 of them (4 if you want to be technical about Daisy and Waluigi not being in Mario Parties 1 and 2) there are extra characters.

Edited by FailWood

So I have had a chance to play on Peach's Birthday Cake, and I actually really like the changes. Getting sent to Bowser means going straight to the star space again right afterward. And unless it's early game that means your stockpile of coins may be high enough to nab a second star faster despite the "unlucky" choice. This is also the board with Monopoly style territory claiming that also rewards investing early. I love that they added small piranha plants that will steal coins for you, rather than just the 30 coin star stealing option. And each plant governs two spaces rather than one. It makes the mechanic relevant early game. You can also land on your own plant for a coin bonus and upgrade it to the star stealing version. In the original, landing on your own plant was a wasted turn beyond padding your green space count. And unlike in Mario Party 1, it feels like a unique board when it's the only one whose star space never moves and there are no path selections that can potentially plant you right before or after a star space. This is certainly the least jank/RNG board in the game. Try hards rejoice.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, FailWood said:

They can always be tweaked. The Mini and Mega Mushrooms in particular could get their own item slots so you actually have room for other items. Capsules can be replaced by regular items (though I did like how the Capsules were color-coded to indicate their purpose). 9 and 10's boards could retain the "everyone travels together" aspect as their own gimmick.

While we're at it, I'd like to see Duel Mode from MP3 and Super Duel Mode from MP5 return and expanded.