Would you like to see a FE fighting game?

Ace_

There already is one. It's called Super Smash Bros 🤣

Jokes aside. That would be amazing. We will get a WAY better representation of the FE series compared to what we got for Smash

I'd be so down for an FE fighting game. You can finally beat the crap out of units who always screwed you over in your playthroughs. You can get more scripted screen results based off who fought like with Lucina and Robin in Smash, but for others. And we can finally get Glass in a fighting game. What's not to love?

Realistically, assuming IS made it and not a team of fans, a majority of the cast would be Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, so I won't bother asking for extreme representation of every little character from all games. It just makes sense from a business standpoint to prioritize what most people know. I would be very happy if I could bribe IS to put in my man Cord in though. It wouldn't even just be sword emblem, since with everyone being FE related, they can use lances, axes, tomes, gauntlets, etc. You could do quite a lot. Hector fans can finally pretend that their favorite lord is actually stronger than the rest by having him beat up RD Ike and Dimitri. Then I come in and use Gatekeeper and 3 stock them. Haha gottem.

31 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I'd be so down for an FE fighting game. You can finally beat the crap out of units who always screwed you over in your playthroughs. You can get more scripted screen results based off who fought like with Lucina and Robin in Smash, but for others. And we can finally get Glass in a fighting game. What's not to love?

Realistically, assuming IS made it and not a team of fans, a majority of the cast would be Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses, so I won't bother asking for extreme representation of every little character from all games. It just makes sense from a business standpoint to prioritize what most people know. I would be very happy if I could bribe IS to put in my man Cord in though. It wouldn't even just be sword emblem, since with everyone being FE related, they can use lances, axes, tomes, gauntlets, etc. You could do quite a lot. Hector fans can finally pretend that their favorite lord is actually stronger than the rest by having him beat up RD Ike and Dimitri. Then I come in and use Gatekeeper and 3 stock them. Haha gottem.

LMAO #CordforFEFighters!!

Edited by TheChoZenOne

Smash Bros. aside, yes, i'd love it, especially if they made it 2D like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear and the likes... but i'd only accept it as long as its roster decently represented the whole series
which is also why they'll most likely never make one, given how controversial this topic has been for FEW and how hypocritical and inconsistent they've been with their justifications about it

Edited by Yexin

yes Yes YES

I'd love to have a Fire Emblem fighting game, although a part of me would rather have a FEW2 since I feel that better suits the series than a fighting game. Either way, more FE spinoffs are a win in my book.

10 hours ago, Yexin said:

Smash Bros. aside, yes, i'd love it, especially if they made it 2D like Street Fighter, Guilty Gear and the likes... but i'd only accept it as long as its roster decently represented the whole series
which is also why they'll most likely never make one, given how controversial this topic has been for FEW and how hypocritical and inconsistent they've been with their justifications about it

A 2D one would be amazing. Imagine if the creators of mortal kombat made it. 😺 and I think if it had 2-3 characters from each main entry in the series, the roster would be good.

Edited by Rain94

14 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

And we can finally get Glass in a fighting game. What's not to love?

No way, no how. He would simply be too overpowered. The gods fear his name - his swordplay is peerless, after all. Any attempt to "balance" Glass would be a grave insult to his character. For the same reason, the game couldn't include Gheb.

36 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

No way, no how. He would simply be too overpowered. The gods fear his name - his swordplay is peerless, after all. Any attempt to "balance" Glass would be a grave insult to his character. For the same reason, the game couldn't include Gheb.

Does this mean we're not getting "The Beast" in either? Man...

5 hours ago, Faellin said:

I'd be down for one in the style of soul calibur.

Would this game have a special guest that isn't from the FE series?

57 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Does this mean we're not getting "The Beast" in either? Man...

Would this game have a special guest that isn't from the FE series?

The special guests are "too many Mario characters." That way they get payback 😏

I would LOVE a FE fighting game!!!! Sadly the series has so many lords and avatars that probably most of the non lord/non very imporant deuteragonists characters wouldn't ever be in this hypothetical game (SPECIALLY the obscure characters). I hope Soren is considered important enough to be featured in this if it ever happens (but if he wasnt on it I would play anyway, I'm sure Hector would be on it).

I really wouldn't. In part because I'm not into fighting games but also because I find it really restrictive. 

Realistically such a game would primarily just focus on the lords and the villains. Now Dissidia could get away with just adding Zidane and Kuja, but I don't think a Fire Emblem fighting game can claim the same. Such an arrangement would quickly get very boring and the fact that most lords strongly resemble each other certainly won't help matters. 

There’s already one. It’s called Fire Emblem Warriors. 😂 Seriously, back on topic, yeah I agree with the sentiment that the majority of the characters would be from Three Houses, Fates, and Awakening because these are the games with the most international recognition bar a few exceptions like Marth and Lyn. But I’m fine with that since the games I’ve only played are the 3DS ones and Three Houses.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:55 AM, Yexin said:

I don’t recall ever Warriors having controversy on its development. As much as“ disappointing “ the character selection was, it perfectly understandable and makes complete sense from a buisness point of view. Awakening and Fates were the most successful games in the series, and are the most familiar with the international audiences. As someone who started with Fates and has only played the 3DS games and Three Houses, I know for fact that had featured any games  that had more characters compared to Fates and Awakening, my interest would have been a lot more diminished. It’s the same reason why I won’t spend a penny on any character that isn’t Awakening, Fates, or Three Houses in Heroes. You have keep in mind that the first 6 games were never released internationally, so they are not going to gain much revenue from an international audience bar a few hardcore fans, while the ones that did come to the west just did not perform very well in terms of sales. Representation = Sales, so the more the games sell, the more reps they will get. Granted Shadow Dragon did get rep, but that was because Marth is considered the “ Pikachu “ of Fire Emblem. Lyn was chosen because she was the west’s first Fire Emblem, while Celica was added to promote Echoes. The choices make perfect sense from a business point and examine it closely. 

Who’s Yubello, Matthis, and the Cord?

Edited by ZeManaphy

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

I don’t recall ever Warriors having controversy on its development. As much as“ disappointing “ the character selection was, it perfectly understandable and makes complete sense from a buisness point of view. Awakening and Fates were the most successful games in the series, and are the most familiar with the international audiences. As someone who started with Fates [...]

i don't mean any offense, but honsetly i don't really get why you felt the need to give me your thesis on how marketing and capitalizing work, they kinda feel like age-old shopworn arguments, and it also feels like you felt personally attacked (which i didn't mean to) and felt like you needed to justify your tastes (which you didn't need to), so if that's the case, i'm sorry

anyway, i can't see how any of the dev team's statements on the "roster" matter could be described as any less than "controversial", or at the very least least "hypocritical" ("We chose only 3 games to pick characters from because otherwise the game would've been full of only sword-wielding lords" -> *proceeds to add 15 lords (counting Fates's siblings and FEW's playable characters as lords) and 13 sword-wielding characters*)

but again, this is an old argument and this is not the place where to bring it up again, so this is where my OT ends

Edited by Yexin

I'm torn. On the one hand, I can see the potential, though admittedly that's largely thanks to Smash Bros. On the other hand, I'm really not a fan of fighting games outside of Smash Bros.

One problem that I can see is that, like with Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, they'd pull the roster from 2-3 games at most rather than use characters from across FE. As someone whose introduction to FE was the Tellius games, I can easily say that it's really annoying when every spin-off completely ignores them despite Ike being one of the most popular FE characters in existence. Even if it doesn't stick with just 2-3 games, issues of representation are frankly inevitable in fighting games, and this would be particularly true for an FE fighting game. 

I think, if I wanted an FE spin-off that utilized action combat, it would be an RPG like the one they were planning for the Wii but ultimately cancelled: one that would hybridize action combat and traditional FE gameplay. I could even easily see something like that using similar gameplay as something like Final Fantasy 7 Remake; maybe a Fire Emblem x Final Fantasy crossover? Something like this would more-than-likely utilize a brand new set of characters; completely avoiding any issues of representation that a fighting game would inevitably have.

23 hours ago, Yexin said:

i don't mean any offense, but honsetly i don't really get why you felt the need to give me your thesis on how marketing and capitalizing work, they kinda feel like age-old shopworn arguments, and it also feels like you felt personally attacked (which i didn't mean to) and felt like you needed to justify your tastes (which you didn't need to), so if that's the case, i'm sorry

anyway, i can't see how any of the dev team's statements on the "roster" matter could be described as any less than "controversial", or at the very least least "hypocritical" ("We chose only 3 games to pick characters from because otherwise the game would've been full of only sword-wielding lords" -> *proceeds to add 15 lords (counting Fates's siblings and FEW's playable characters as lords) and 13 sword-wielding characters*)

but

I didn’t mean to sound attacked because I wasn’t, but really does feel like the majority of people here don’t understand that the reason Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses gets the most reps because they are the games that sold the most, especially for the international audiences, since the first 6 were never released and the ones were just not very popular games until the launch of Awakening. The people here on Reddit and on these forums are a very small minority compared to FE fan base worldwide. Our opinion doesn’t really mean much compared to worldwide fan base. If you don’t believe me in that the majority of fanbase outside of these forums and Reddit struggle to like characters that weren’t Awakening, Three Houses, and Fates, watch this video and skip to 22:17 where someone will explain how they couldn’t stay invested in Heroes because of the fact they got characters that came from games that weren’t launched internationally or just not a popular game. 

17 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

One problem that I can see is that, like with Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, they'd pull the roster from 2-3 games at most rather than use characters from across FE. As someone whose introduction to FE was the Tellius games, I can easily say that it's really annoying when every spin-off completely ignores them despite Ike being one of the most popular FE characters in existence. Even if it doesn't stick with just 2-3 games, issues of representation are frankly inevitable in fighting games, and this would be particularly true for an FE fighting game. 

The problem is outside of Ike, the cast of POR and RD is quite unrecognizable for the majority of the newer players brought through the 3DS games. I only really got exposed through them through Heroes and this site, and even then, I can’t say I care about the cast that much, including Ike. I don’t even know the entirety of the cast what kinds of units they are, what’s personality, what is their best class, etc. In contrast, I’m sure I could write an essay all about the Three Houses cast, like who they are, what’s their histories, what’s their best classes, what are their supports about etc. Your’re probably in a very small minority who would prefer RD over Three Houses, and if you won’t pay for the games due to the lack of POR and RD, that’s ok, there is already a huge fanbase who’d prefer representation from Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses over POR and RD any day of the week. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I really wouldn't. In part because I'm not into fighting games but also because I find it really restrictive. 

Realistically such a game would primarily just focus on the lords and the villains. Now Dissidia could get away with just adding Zidane and Kuja, but I don't think a Fire Emblem fighting game can claim the same. Such an arrangement would quickly get very boring and the fact that most lords strongly resemble each other certainly won't help matters. 

Well, thats true. Also, such a game would have very little strategy to use (at least compared to a normal FE game, like... think about the amount of strategy possible in MK11, it exists but its WAY lower than in FE) and obviously no turns, permadeath, promotion, supports or a canon story (it would probably have just some random cutscenes serving as an excuse for all of the characters to be together), and probably also not Eff weapons (because in fighting games we never have characters have a clear advantage over other), and lots of other elements that are characteristic to the series, so it would drive a lot of actual FE fans off I guess. And, of course, if you are going to play a fighting game and like 3 characters have the same weapon (Falchion) and most of them strongly resemble each other as you said, its probably going to be kinda boring, yeah.

So, it would be kind of a dumb idea if IS did a solo FE fighting game, and most of the FE general public wouldn't even like it I guess... so probably won't ever happen. But still, if it existed, I would give it a try anyway. I think that the amount of characters that the series have (and as an obvious consequece, the amount of important characters that wouldn't be in the fighing game) would piss A LOT of people off (like FEH has more than 700 characters- well some of them are alts or OCs but still...- and we still have people pissed because some characters weren't included, I researched and found out that smash bros ultimate is the fighting game with the largest number of playable characters, with 81, so we couldn't hope for too much more than this), this just sounds like one more reason to not do it. 

Now, if you are talking about featuring FE characters as DLC fighters in a game like Injustice or MK (or as guests like in smash bros)... that would be AWESOME!!! We already have some in Smash Bros, sure, but I keep my point (well, the number of characters problem still stands but I guess you can do nothing about it?)

Edited by ARMADS!!!

27 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

The problem is outside of Ike, the cast of POR and RD is quite unrecognizable for the majority of the newer players brought through the 3DS games. I only really got exposed through them through Heroes and this site, and even then, I can’t say I care about the cast that much, including Ike. I don’t even know the entirety of the cast what kinds of units they are, what’s personality, what is their best class, etc. In contrast, I’m sure I could write an essay all about the Three Houses cast, like who they are, what’s their histories, what’s their best classes, what are their supports about etc. You’re probably in a very small minority who would prefer RD over Three Houses, and if you won’t pay for the games due to the lack of POR and RD, that’s ok, there is already a huge fanbase who’d prefer representation from Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses over POR and RD any day of the week. 

You're making it sound like the only options are just Tellius or just the newer games, which is the exact mentality behind most FE spinoffs that I was criticizing; I'm talking about wanting every FE game to get at least some fair representation; not for a less popular set of FE games to be held up at the expense of more popular ones. My argument was that it is not good that most FE spinoffs focus their roster entirely on only Shadow Dragon and the recent FE games and that characters the other FE games should be included as well. There can be representation from all the FE games.

For representing the Tellius games in a hypothetical FE fighting game, I'd be happy with just Ike (protagonist), Micaiah (light mage representation), Sothe (thief representation) and some laguz like Caineghis and Tibarn.

Stuff like FE Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, due to their limited roster, could've gotten away with just having Ike for Tellius representation, but they chose to have no one. That is my main issue.

I didn’t mean to sound attacked because I wasn’t, but really does feel like the majority of people here don’t understand that the reason Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses gets the most reps because they are the games that sold the most, especially for the international audiences, since the first 6 were never released and the ones were just not very popular games until the launch of Awakening. The people here on Reddit and on these forums are a very small minority compared to FE fan base worldwide. Our opinion doesn’t really mean much compared to worldwide fan base. If you don’t believe me in that the majority of fanbase outside of these forums and Reddit struggle to like characters that weren’t Awakening, Three Houses, and Fates, watch this video and skip to 22:17 where someone will explain how they couldn’t stay invested in Heroes because of the fact they got characters that came from games that weren’t launched internationally or just not a popular game. 

The problem is outside of Ike, the cast of POR and RD is quite unrecognizable for the majority of the newer players brought through the 3DS games. I only really got exposed through them through Heroes and this site, and even then, I can’t say I care about the cast that much, including Ike. I don’t even know the entirety of the cast what kinds of units they are, what’s personality, what is their best class, etc. In contrast, I’m sure I could write an essay all about the Three Houses cast, like who they are, what’s their histories, what’s their best classes, what are their supports about etc. Your’re probably in a very small minority who would prefer RD over Three Houses, and if you won’t pay for the games due to the lack of POR and RD, that’s ok, there is already a huge fanbase who’d prefer representation from Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses over POR and RD any day of the week. 

There was a gigantic newbie boom after the Tellius game and Nintendo rather famously refused to support the Tellius games so more people prefering the 3ds games and 3H due to a lack of familiarity is logical. But the Tellius games and all the other previous Fe games do have their own fans, and are in a prime position to gain new fans as well. I think the fans of the old games do deserve the occasional bone thrown their way and that the new fans might have something to gain from this as well. It would certainly be on brand for players to check out these quirky new characters they found in a crossover because that's exactly how Fire Emblem came to the west to begin with.

On some level a crossover isn't just a celebration but also a good opportunity to market your games. You got to spend money to make money. Or in this case you've got to spend resources to spark interest. Shulk's in Smash not just to celebrate Xenoblade but to incentives people to try it out as well. And while FE crossover are hardly as prestigious as Smash it stands to reason that someone interested in Fire Emblem might have at least some interest to try out the older games. 

I think no one was under any illusions that the newer games wouldn't get the most adds. However even with this knowledge the balance between what gets added and what doesn't can sometimes be really out of wack with IS. The 3ds games were always going to get the most of attention in FE Warriors for example, but for those games to get absolutely anything while the western games that came before it got practically nothing is taking that stance too far. Or how there was a certain era in Heroes where Fates got everything while whole games had to make due with maybe one or two banners a year. The habit of IS to sometimes just leave out entire swats of Fire Emblem history as if the fans of those games absolutely aren't welcome at the party can be really off putting. 

Also the one talking there, Derrick actually has done streams where he revisits the older Fire Emblem and he seems to regard them quite well after doing so. He also seems to specifically point towards the games that ''haven't come over'' which at this point is really only Jugdral and Binding Blade. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

36 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There was a gigantic newbie boom after the Tellius game and Nintendo rather famously refused to support the Tellius games so more people preferring the 3ds games and 3H due to a lack of familiarity is logical. But the Tellius games and all the other previous Fe games do have their own fans, and are in a prime position to gain new fans as well. I think the fans of the old games do deserve the occasional bone thrown their way and that the new fans might have something to gain from this as well. It would certainly be on brand for players to check out these quirky new characters they found in a crossover because that's exactly how Fire Emblem came to the west to begin with.

I think no one was under any illusions that the newer games wouldn't get the most adds. However even with this knowledge the balance between what gets added and what doesn't can sometimes be really out of whack with IS. The 3ds games were always going to get the most of attention in FE Warriors for example, but for those games to get absolutely everything while the western games that came before it got practically nothing is taking that stance too far. Or how there was a certain era in Heroes where Fates got everything while whole games had to make due with maybe one or two banners a year. The habit of IS to sometimes just leave out entire swats of Fire Emblem history as if the fans of those games absolutely aren't welcome at the party can be really off putting. 

Thank you. You summed it up quite nicely: no one was thinking that the 3DS games wouldn't get the most representation in the crossover spinoffs, but them (and Shadow Dragon) getting all the representation while the Tellius games and the rest got absolutely nothing at all was taking things too far.

I also agree that the older gams getting some attention would be good for both old fans and new fans, as new fans can then look at the characters from the old games and increase demand for re-releasing the old games.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Also the one talking there, Derrick actually has done streams where he revisits the older Fire Emblem and he seems to regard them quite well after doing so. He also seems to specifically point towards the games that ''haven't come over'' which at this point is really only Jugdral and Binding Blade. 

True, but he did mention that when he was stating his Radiant Dawn playthrough that he never finished it because he thought it was too difficult and later attributes it to the mislabeling of the difficulties. Which was a big criticism of Radiant Dawn from critics, and probably a big factor why it didn’t sell super well alongside fact releasing besides Galaxy. On the topic unreleased games however, that just proves my point on why those games get less representation: There’s less of a market, especially in the west for those characters from the unreleased game.