Mario Party Characters.

FailWood

Which characters do you prefer playing as in Mario Party?  My go-to characters are Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario, but there are others who appeared less frequently in the series who I'd also play as sometimes (Dry Bones, Toad, and Koopa Kid).

1 hour ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I'm usually picking out a different character with every game. Most recently I'm Birdo. I don't think I ever remember her playable in Mario Party?

Before Superstars, Birdo was playable in Mario Parties 7, 8, and 9.

1 hour ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

But in the last game I was Bowser all day. Playable Bowser and Bowser Jr salvages that game

I don't own Super Mario Party, but I was surprised to hear how many people turned against it after the initially good reception it got.  Only things I know people didn't like about it were that it only had 4 boards (the fewest of all Mario Party games), and that you couldn't play it using the Pro Controller or in Handheld Mode, but there has too be more too it then that.  It did bring back the classic board formula after 9 and 10 used the "everyone travels together" gimmick that was near universally disliked.

1 hour ago, FailWood said:

I don't own Super Mario Party, but I was surprised to hear how many people turned against it after the initially good reception it got.  Only things I know people didn't like about it were that it only had 4 boards (the fewest of all Mario Party games), and that you couldn't play it using the Pro Controller or in Handheld Mode, but there has too be more too it then that.  It did bring back the classic board formula after 9 and 10 used the "everyone travels together" gimmick that was near universally disliked.

I can only speak for myself, but I wasn't impressed with that one in 2018. I still got it because me and my friends were anticipating a Mario Party game since the night that Switch was announced, and you can bet that we booted it up at parties for an hour at a time before Smash came out. But the vast majority of my friends did not want to play or see more of the game after their first session with it. As for me, all I had was hope that a few content updates and the addition of online play would bring it up to speed. And when those updates never came my neutrality turned to dislike. Even before all that time has passed, In my top 10 games of 2018, I excluded the game in favor of a Top 9 list because I just thought its quality was too far below the nine games that I ranked higher.

Super does have the edge in Single player content, and a pretty lush cast of characters, but those were the only high points I could think of at the time. I also enjoyed the cooperative mode more than the main party mode. But the main party mode feels like an afterthought. Heck, coming straight off of that 3DS game, the top 100, I think it's fair to bet that it literally was an afterthought. The boards had very little going on, and the coin economy quickly devolves to people repeatedly visiting the shop for the Golden Pipe (10 coins!) rather than taking their chances in trying to reach the star. I also really disliked the lack of controller options. It wasn't totally apparent by the end of 2018, but joy con degredation was beginning to kick in. Super Mario Party could have used a "joy con-less" mode where everything that requires motion controls is shut off. But I also know that Nintendo would never put something in their game that acknowledges faulty hardware. 100% of Superstars can be played on any controller you want, and the game is much better for it.

In the wake of Superstars, it's easy to see what Super Mario Party could have done better. Namely online play. Patching that in years after release is a slap in the face. You really never know which games Nintendo will decide to continue supporting with updates, and it's confusing that they would wait so long - particularly going to that effort while the next installment had already entered development. Superstars will no doubt be judged in retrospect on the quantity of its updates too. I haven't yet played enough of Superstars to really judge how I feel about it overall. Need more sessions with friends, and that's difficult in a pandemic.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Super does have the edge in Single player content, and a pretty lush cast of characters, but those were the only high points I could think of at the time. I also enjoyed the cooperative mode more than the main party mode. But the main party mode feels like an afterthought. Heck, coming straight off of that 3DS game, the top 100, I think it's fair to bet that it literally was an afterthought. The boards had very little going on, and the coin economy quickly devolves to people repeatedly visiting the shop for the Golden Pipe (10 coins!) rather than taking their chances in trying to reach the star. I also really disliked the lack of controller options. It wasn't totally apparent by the end of 2018, but joy con degredation was beginning to kick in. Super Mario Party could have used a "joy con-less" mode where everything that requires motion controls is shut off. But I also know that Nintendo would never put something in their game that acknowledges faulty hardware. 100% of Superstars can be played on any controller you want, and the game is much better for it.

Having watched footage of others playing Super, all your points here are fair.  I will say that as someone who played Star Rush on the 3DS and enjoyed it more then I thought I would, I'd probably like the games that involved allies joining you.

3 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

In the wake of Superstars, it's easy to see what Super Mario Party could have done better. Namely online play. Patching that in years after release is a slap in the face. You really never know which games Nintendo will decide to continue supporting with updates, and it's confusing that they would wait so long - particularly going to that effort while the next installment had already entered development. Superstars will no doubt be judged in retrospect on the quantity of its updates too. I haven't yet played enough of Superstars to really judge how I feel about it overall. Need more sessions with friends, and that's difficult in a pandemic.

It didn't help that Super got the online update mere weeks before Superstars was revealed.

Superstars will probably meet the same fate if it doesn't get content updates.  While I found it enjoyable to return to the OG formula and that the Minigame selection was (mostly) good, I found it's side content to be lacking, and the only unique aspect of Superstars is the fact that it pulls boards from multiple games, so it consequently doesn't stand out on it's own beyond that.  As it stands now, it's undercooked, but not to the extremes of The Top 100.

I believe in Birdo supremacy.

23 hours ago, FailWood said:

Which characters do you prefer playing as in Mario Party?  My go-to characters are Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario, but there are others who appeared less frequently in the series who I'd also play as sometimes (Dry Bones, Toad, and Koopa Kid).

No disrespect intended to Bowser Jr., but the dissapearing of Koopa Kid is a war crime.