What games are you getting for the holiday season?

Fabulously Olivier

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Jade Cocoon, back on the PS1. Was actually freaking cool. Like, a more ambitious Pokemon with an actual story and a monster fusion system.

Oh, so I guess to answer the question of

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

When has Ghibli made a game that isn't also a good game?

We could say

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

We don't talk about its sequel though.

Unless someone else made the sequel, which I guess is possible. Anyway to circle back around, you're saying Ninokuni is good, I presume?

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yes, Ni No Kuni and its sequel are quite good.

Alright, purchased at 80% off. I'm putting my fate in you. Though I probably won't get to it for, like, six months with all the games I've bought recently.

Since it was on sale, I decided to get the Switch port of the original Final Fantasy 7. I originally bought FF7 Remake a year ago to be my introduction to the final fantasy series, as I thought that a faithful full-overhaul remake of the most famous game in the series would be a good starting point for me. Then the plot-ghost stuff started happening and the reveal that the game with Remake in its title isn't actually a remake but a stealth-sequel of sorts kind-of soured that idea.

So, I figured that I may as well play the original so that I can understand Final Fantasy 7 Time Travel Plot Ghosts. I haven't played FF7 yet; I'm going to play some other stuff first. But I figured I may as well purchase it now while it was on sale.

I hope you like backtracking, because the Fort Condor sidequest will require a lot of it.

I strongly recommend equipping your active party with Restore and All Materia in linked slots at all times. Being able to heal your whole party at once will help ensure you stay healthy. Once you have Time Materia, Time-All can also be quite handy for granting Haste to your whole party.

Cover is useful for when you need to use Limit Breaks to raise a party member's limit break level, as taking damage fills the Limit gauge and Cover will increase the chances of the damage going to the right party member.

Elemental Materia is your best friend. You'll want it on armor most of the time, but once in a while it'll be useful on weapons as well.

Lv. 4 Suicide is a useful Enemy Skill that inflicts Mini and Critical on enemies whose levels are multiples of 4, you'll want to make sure you learn it on all of your ES Materia before your entire party's levels pass 96.

The Dragons you encounter in Mt. Nibel are a good source of Gold Armlets (great armor when you first find them, a decent source of Gil later on) and AP.

Vincent gets a couple of weapons with 255 Accuracy, the Sniper CR and Long Barrel R. These are perfect for the Deathblow Materia, as Vincent is almost guaranteed to hit even with Deathblow's accuracy penalty. Just beware that brief screen flash...

You might want to wait until you have all four Enemy Skill Materia before you complete the Pagoda sidequest in Wutai, as that will be the only way to get Trine on all four copies. During your stay in Corel Prison, you should have three ES Materia; make sure to get Laser on all of them, as you won't encounter any more enemies with that skill until near the end of the game.

Whatever you do, do not go to Ancient Temple until you teach Aerith her Great Gospel Limit Break. Not only is it useful for as long as you get to use it, but once that dungeon is done, Aerith will leave your party for good.

Edited by Lord_Brand

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I hope you like backtracking, because the Fort Condor sidequest will require a lot of it.

Thanks for all the advice. It will probably be a while before I play the game, but thanks.

Backtracking is fine when done well. I usually point to Ocarina of Time as a good example because of all the different shortcuts for getting to and from older areas. How well does FF7 handle backtracking?

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Thanks for all the advice. It will probably be a while before I play the game, but thanks.

Backtracking is fine when done well. I usually point to Ocarina of Time as a good example because of all the different shortcuts for getting to and from older areas. How well does FF7 handle backtracking?

Well, let me put it this way:

1. The first battle is of course when you first get to Fort Condor, after exiting Mythril Mine.
  2. The second battle is after resting in Junon but before talking to Priscilla on the beach to get the whistle. Cloud will be alone at this time, so take caution. I strongly recommend equipping him with Fire-All during this time.
  3. The third battle is after getting the Dolphin Whistle but before making the jump. Again, Cloud will be alone. (Yes, they seriously expect you to do this twice in short succession.)
  4. The fourth battle is after getting the Buggy but before speaking to Red XIII at Cosmo Canyon. You will have to backtrack from Cosmo Canyon to Costal Del Sol, take the boat to Junon, and walk to Fort Condor.
  5. The fifth battle is after entering the Cave of Gi but before completing it. Again, you will have to backtrack from Cosmo Canyon to Costal Del Sol, take the boat to Junon, and walk to Fort Condor.
  6. The sixth battle is after completing the Cave of Gi but before speaking to Shera in Rocket Town. Yet again, you will have to backtrack from Cosmo Canyon to Costal Del Sol, take the boat to Junon, and walk to Fort Condor.
  7. The seventh battle is after talking to Shera for the first time but before speaking to Shera a second time when Rufus arrives in town. You will have to backtrack through Mt. Nibel and Nibelheim, drive or walk all the way through Cosmo Canyon and past Gold Saucer to Costa Del Sol, take the boat to Junon, and walk to Fort Condor. (I'm starting to suspect Kawazu was involved with this.)
  8. The eighth battle is after getting the Tiny Bronco but before getting the Keystone, allowing you to just drive the Bronco to the shores nearby Fort Condor.

Starting with battle eight, you'll have the Tiny Bronco to make backtracking less of a hassle. Battles 14-18 cannot be fought as they happen during a critical point of the story where the player cannot backtrack. You can get the full details on the Final Fantasy Wiki page for the Condor War.

Also, make absolutely sure you get the first two Turtle's Paradise Flyers in the Sector 5 Slum southeast house and the notice board in the Shinra building lobby. Once you clear the Shinra building, you won't be able to re-enter Midgar until very late in the game, which will prevent you from finishing the sidequest until then. If you get all six flyers as soon as you are able, you'll be able to complete the sidequest upon reaching Wutai, as that is where the sixth and final flyer is found.

You'll need Yuffie to complete the sidequest, as the sixth flyer is located within her hideout. Thankfully, you can find her shortly after reaching Fort Condor; she starts appearing as a random encounter in forests. You'll have to defeat her, after which you'll need to make a series of dialogue choices in order to recruit her. And whatever you do, do not use the Save Point or enter the menu at any point during the scene where you talk to Yuffie, or she'll steal something from you and you'll have to track her down again.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Honestly you can pretty much ignore Fort Condor with no ill effects.

Except you miss the various items you can get as a reward, including Turbo-Ethers, X-Potions, Elixirs, a Megalixir, and the Peace Ring. The last battle is not optional, and rewards you with the Phoenix Materia and yellow Huge Materia (which in turn allows you to get Master Command Materia) for winning it. Lose, and you get nothing.

Edited by Lord_Brand

7 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Except you miss the various items you can get as a reward, including Turbo-Ethers, X-Potions, Elixirs, a Megalixir, and the Peace Ring. The last battle is not optional, and rewards you with the Phoenix Materia and yellow Huge Materia (which in turn allows you to get Master Command Materia) for winning it. Lose, and you get nothing.

Oh I wasn't suggesting there wasn't rewards for it, but none of them are that great and most of them you can just straight up buy (obviously excluding the battle you have to do). Fort Condor isn't worth back tracking for unless you just like the basic RTS gameplay it provides. It's part of the game, so I can see why people would want to go all the way back and do it, just for the sake of completion, but doing so isn't really going to make the game much easier.

There's also the EXP and AP gained, if you have the patience to fight through all the random battles. Maybe even progress made towards learning stronger Limit Breaks. That said, I strongly recommend the fast-forward function if it's available.

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

There's also the EXP and AP gained, if you have the patience to fight through all the random battles. Maybe even progress made towards learning stronger Limit Breaks. That said, I strongly recommend the fast-forward function if it's available.

Well if you really need the EXP and AP you can just grind in whatever area you're currently in, backtracking to the start of the game and fighting weaker enemies won't exactly help your levelling much compared to walking around in a circle near a save point. And that's even if you need to level up, which you probably won't. Final Fantasy VII isn't that challenging a game.

The FF7 primo grinding spot is the surroundings of Mideel, don't @ me. Well, that or the sunken plane if you feel the urge to grind stat boosters in the lategame. In either case, it's not really worth the time to grind XP/AP anywhere else unless there's some really specific skill you want for an upcoming part of the game.

--

I'm proud to say that I haven't spent a single euro on games this winter. I did pick up two free games on Epic, which brings me to one purchased game (an exclusive...) and I think 6 or 7 free game pick-ups:

• Loop Hero, which is actually quite new. Has been on my Steam wishlist for a few months, so that was a nice surprise.
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker - still free to keep for another 17-18 hours, I think, in case you're interested. Unfortunately, this also reminds me that I started a Pillars of Eternity playthrough some time ago which kinda fizzled out. :/ I do like the genre, but I've been a bit lazy about learning new games lately.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

You know how it is. You're looking for a game to play, and you just can't find the one that's right for you. Maybe you've played them all, and you're sick of seeing the same old characters and stories repeatedly. Maybe you want something different, something fresh and exciting. I think that the best nowadays is FIFA 22. I know that it is very expensive to get it, but I found a CD key for PS5 from https://www.cdkeysforgames.com/consoles/fifa-22-ps5/. In this way, it was very cheap, and I enjoyed playing it with my friends.

Edited by Claristroik6

• 4 months later...

Well, since a freaking bot bumped this at a time when it's... actually relevant again, I may as well go into it.

My games spending is down, but I am definitely eyeing Xenoblade 3 as a potential holiday buy. Might depend on Black Friday prices. If I can get a 40%+ percent discount for Diofield, or a 30% on Gotham Knights, I'd get those too.