Unrepresented Pokemon types and what they could be

Jotari

Lord_Brand brought up some ideas about redoing Pokemon types, and it got me thinking about the Pokemon type combinations we haven't seen. Personally I've long wanted a Bug Dragon Pokemon, we've had some Pokemon that look like they should be Bug Dragons, but no actual Bug Dragons. On researching it seems that, discounting primary and secondary type switching (ie saying Rock Ground is the same thing as Ground Rock), there's a total of 17 type combinations we haven't seen in Pokemon yet. They are

Normal-Poison

Normal-Rock

Normal-Bug

Normal-Steel

Normal-Ice

Fighting-Ground

Fighting-Electric

Fighting-Fairy

Poison-Steel

Poison-Ice

Ground-Fairy

Rock-Ghost

Bug-Dragon

Bug-Dark

Fire-Grass

Fire-Fairy

I'm actually kind of surprised there hasn't been a fire fairy. Doesn't seem like it'd be difficult to create a cutsy looking thing with fire powers. Victini probably would have been if Fairy had existed back then. Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts on what kind of Pokemon you could come up with that would fit into those type combinations, and which of them you'd most like to see for gameplay reasons. As is in vogue now, reassigning types to existing Pokemon due to the variant thing they have going on is allowed too.

Electric/Fighting is something we really ought to have by now. If we got more Megas then Mega Electivire could easily fill this, the line already gets multiple Fighting-type moves.

4 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Electric/Fighting is something we really ought to have by now. If we got more Megas then Mega Electivire could easily fill this, the line already gets multiple Fighting-type moves.

Zeraora not being Electric/Fighting is a genuine headscratcher.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fire-Grass

Before Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist came out, I remember imagining a Jack-o-Lantern Pokemon that would fit this. Imagine a giant pumpkin, with thorny vines at the side, and a gaping maw filled with flames. Come tto think of it, it looked much more like Guzzlord than the Jack-o-lantern 'Mons we wound up getting.

Anyway, I'm conflicted. I still think this is a good premise, but I also really like Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist, and wouldn't want to "step on their toes" with another similar-premise Pokemon. Maybe if we ever got Mega Gourgeist, it could be a Grass/Fire type with Flash Fire?

Bug-Dragon

Yanma and Yanmega are literally dragonflies, it's free real estate. Would it be weird to see them vulnerable to Ground moves, sure. But there are so many Bug/Flying types out there ("Insects", you could say) that Yanmega is a cliché.

Mega Yanmega, anyone?

Rock-Ghost

Baby Spiritomb. Like I know baby Mons aren't popular for competitive players, but I think basing a Pokemon on the Odd Keystone could be really cool. It'd have much lower offenses, but retain strong defenses, making it more bulky than its evolution while the Eviolite is attached. Also give it some status moves, like Rock Polish and Stealth Rock.

Fighting-Fairy

Weird take, but how about a Leprechaun Pokemon? The next game could feature rainbows as a visual effect after the weather switches from "Rainy" to "Clear". But it's not just an effect - locate the end of the rainbow, and you'll be able to battle the Lepremon (name not final, thankfully). I see it as a physical attacker, with moves like Play Rough and Drain Punch, as well as Grass-type tools like Grassy Terrain and Grassy Glide. Maybe a signature ability that boosts its attack power while holding a Nugget?

From an Irish perspective, does this all sound terribly offensive?

Normal/Poison: Feels like this is what the Nidoran family should be. My bro suggested some manner of poisonous rat, though in my opinion Dark/Poison would fit that better.

Normal/Rock: Rockruff and its line seem like they'd be prime candidates (barring the introduction of my Beast-type).

Normal/Bug: How about a mix of a bear and a honeycomb? Or maybe a bear holding a beehive? Could be a case of symbiosis, not unlike Slowbro. The "honey bear" Pokemon could have its own version of Softboiled and Milk Drink involving honey.

Normal/Steel: Two words - armored horse. Even better, make it an armored unicorn, using its horn like a lance. Or have the armored horse evolve into an armored unicorn. Equivalier and Palacorn!

Normal/Ice: Some kind of fluffy snow animal. A snow rabbit, perhaps? Or something based on a snowman. A yeti?

Fighting/Ground: A sumo wrestler of some kind. Makuhita and Hariyama would be good candidates.

Fighting/Electric: I'm gonna suggest something based on a superhero. A humanoid Pokemon with a mask a bit like Elec Man - heck, maybe make them an Elec Man homage outright. Ooh, or a Pulseman reference! Maybe they can even share Pikachu's Volt Tackle move?

Fighting/Fairy: How about something based on Sailor Moon?

Poison/Steel: Something to do with pollution, like a living factory that belches out smog or a walking drum of toxic waste. Could be a variant of Grimer and Muk with pieces of metal junk sticking out.

Poison/Ice: The best I can think of is something to do with chemicals or vapors of some kind. Maybe a chilly version of Koffing and Wheezing? My bro suggested a cobra called Snowbra.

Ground/FairyEasy - a gnome. According to Paracelsus, gnomes were one of the four elementals, representing earth (the other three being undines for water, sylphs for air, and salamanders for fire). A dwarf would also make a lot of sense. Maybe mix in a bit of mole for good measure.

Rock/Ghost: How about an animate tombstone? Maybe with an evolution based on a crypt? Rock Tomb would of course be a mandatory part of its moveset.

Bug/Dragon: How about a new Scyther evolution? Lancyr, perhaps?

Bug/Dark: I'm thinking some kind of ninja spider. Shinobigumo? Or it could be based on the jorogumo, the spider lady yokai.

Fire/Grass: I'd once thought of a living tiki torch, using the logic that fire burns grass. Its body would be made of wood, it would wear leaves as "clothing" and the top of its head would be a lit brazier. The jack-o-lantern idea is a good one, too.

Fire/Fairy: My bro suggested Ninetales be made into a Fire/Fairy type to parallel its Alolan variant being Ice/Fairy. I could also see some kind of ifrit-like genie Pokemon fitting into this category. As mentioned above, a salamander-like Pokemon could fit into a quartet of "Elemental" fairies along with an undine (Water/Fairy), a sylph (Flying/Fairy), and the aforementioned gnome (Ground/Fairy).

10 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Or they could just make a regional variant of Electabuzz that's a fighting type. Give it a head band and job done.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Before Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist came out, I remember imagining a Jack-o-Lantern Pokemon that would fit this. Imagine a giant pumpkin, with thorny vines at the side, and a gaping maw filled with flames. Come tto think of it, it looked much more like Guzzlord than the Jack-o-lantern 'Mons we wound up getting.

Anyway, I'm conflicted. I still think this is a good premise, but I also really like Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist, and wouldn't want to "step on their toes" with another similar-premise Pokemon. Maybe if we ever got Mega Gourgeist, it could be a Grass/Fire type with Flash Fire?

I think I'd rather some kind of skill that gave immunity to normal and fighting type moves to simulate the ghost aspect, like the way Flygon (despite the name) uses Levitate to simulate being a flying type.

Yanma and Yanmega are literally dragonflies, it's free real estate. Would it be weird to see them vulnerable to Ground moves, sure. But there are so many Bug/Flying types out there ("Insects", you could say) that Yanmega is a cliché.

Mega Yanmega, anyone?

Yes, and I've wanted it ever since gen 2. Like the aforementioned Flygon, levitate could be used to get around ground weakness. Though that would mean getting rid of the super useful Speed Boost ability (though really combining the two together for a Mega Pokemon doesn't seem like it'd be the worst idea, I don't think they have combined abilities like that much, possibly to avoid power creep, while simultaneously unabashedly power creeping in other areas).

Weird take, but how about a Leprechaun Pokemon? The next game could feature rainbows as a visual effect after the weather switches from "Rainy" to "Clear". But it's not just an effect - locate the end of the rainbow, and you'll be able to battle the Lepremon (name not final, thankfully). I see it as a physical attacker, with moves like Play Rough and Drain Punch, as well as Grass-type tools like Grassy Terrain and Grassy Glide. Maybe a signature ability that boosts its attack power while holding a Nugget?

From an Irish perspective, does this all sound terribly offensive?

Offensive, no. In fact I even considered it myself but kind of dismissed it on being just not exciting. Though your list of gameplay abilities to attribute to such a pokemon has sparked my interest.

8 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Normal/Poison: Feels like this is what the Nidoran family should be. My bro suggested some manner of poisonous rat, though in my opinion Dark/Poison would fit that better.

Normal/Rock: Rockruff and its line seem like they'd be prime candidates (barring the introduction of my Beast-type).

Normal/Bug: How about a mix of a bear and a honeycomb? Or maybe a bear holding a beehive? Could be a case of symbiosis, not unlike Slowbro. The "honey bear" Pokemon could have its own version of Softboiled and Milk Drink involving honey.

Normal/Steel: Two words - armored horse. Even better, make it an armored unicorn, using its horn like a lance. Or have the armored horse evolve into an armored unicorn. Equivalier and Palacorn!

The thing about Normal dual types is that it adds very little to a Pokemon mechanically. Only Ghost Immunity, which only Psychic and other ghost Pokemon are weak to. Meanwhile a Pokemon gains the very unfortunate fighting weakness. It's a net mechanical loss for anything other than a Normal Psychic or Normal Ghost. All you get is stabs on Hyper Beams and stuff. In fact I'm surprised they made as many normal type combos as they did, feels almost like checking them off the list (which is exactly what I made this topic for, so it's not like I dis that idea). I guess what I'm leading to here is that I really wish they made Normal types resist Fairy attacks. It'd make some sort of sense in that not believing in the super natural is a plain or normal trait for people to have in the modern day (though it's not like every typing needs a logical justification).

Nidoran does indeed feel like it'd fit very much into a Normal Poison category. Though it'd lose the normal type upon final evolution (which is far from unprecedented).

When you said armoured horse, I thought yes, that's a cool idea. But don't we already kind of have that with the inexplicably fighting type horse legendaries?

Poison/Ice: The best I can think of is something to do with chemicals or vapors of some kind. Maybe a chilly version of Koffing and Wheezing? My bro suggested a cobra called Snowbra.

Not a fan of the name, but an Ice Snake sounds like a cool idea.

Fire/Grass: I'd once thought of a living tiki torch, using the logic that fire burns grass. Its body would be made of wood, it would wear leaves as "clothing" and the top of its head would be a lit brazier. The jack-o-lantern idea is a good one, too.

Something based on a wicker man could work in the same vein.

Fire/Fairy: My bro suggested Ninetales be made into a Fire/Fairy type to parallel its Alolan variant being Ice/Fairy. I could also see some kind of ifrit-like genie Pokemon fitting into this category. As mentioned above, a salamander-like Pokemon could fit into a quartet of "Elemental" fairies along with an undine (Water/Fairy), a sylph (Flying/Fairy), and the aforementioned gnome (Ground/Fairy).

Yeah, on retrospect they really should have retconned Ninetales into the fairy type when they introduced it.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:16 AM, Jotari said:

I think I'd rather some kind of skill that gave immunity to normal and fighting type moves to simulate the ghost aspect, like the way Flygon (despite the name) uses Levitate to simulate being a flying type.

I personally disagree. My interpretation of "why Ghost-types are immune to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks" is, it's because they're incorporeal. This was the case for Mons like Gastly and Misdreavus. But then later Gens introduced Ghost-types that had a clear physical form to them, such as Pumpkaboo, Mimikyu, and Polteageist. While Normal- and Fighting-type attacks would phase through something like Gastly, it's not so clear why that's the case for the "possessed item" Ghost-types.

So for the record, I'm not saying "Ghost-types should all be incorporeal" or "Ghost-types should be vulnerable to Normal- and Fighting-type attacks". Rather, I'm saying that a Mega Evolution of a Ghost-type, that loses the Ghost typing and is clearly corporeal (as a Jack-o-Lantern would be) has no need to keep the immunities that come from a Ghost typing. Plus, I really like the idea of Flash Fire on a Mon that doesn't resist Fire, and it's an ability that so far has no representation on a Mega Pokemon.

Yes, and I've wanted it ever since gen 2. Like the aforementioned Flygon, levitate could be used to get around ground weakness. Though that would mean getting rid of the super useful Speed Boost ability (though really combining the two together for a Mega Pokemon doesn't seem like it'd be the worst idea, I don't think they have combined abilities like that much, possibly to avoid power creep, while simultaneously unabashedly power creeping in other areas).

One thing I've been considering is "rethinking Levitate", so to speak. Basically, instead of the Levitate ability, all Pokemon species would receive a "Float?" conditional trait. It's basically a True/False flag that determines whether the Mon in question is vulnerable to Ground-type moves. All Flying types would be "Float = True" by default, but become "Float = False" upon using Roost, or being hit by Smack Down. Only Pokemon with "Float = False" would benefit from Terrain effects.

This way, species that are clearly floating in their sprites/models - the likes of Magnezone, Mew, and Chandelure - would have that reflected in gameplay, even while keeping their present abilities. On the flip side, Mons with the Levitate ability would be able to shed that ability, to be replaced by a simple "Float = True" species trait, and gain something more colorful. Imagine, for instance, Flygon with Tinted Lens, or Hydreigon with Berserk. And whereas most Levitate species have it as their sole abilities, under this system there would be choices - would I prefer a Vikavolt with Swarm, Intimidate, or Motor Drive?

As for "combined abilities", the only case I can think of that is in Calyrex forms in the latest games. I'd rather that not become a normal thing among many other Mons, for the sake of simplicity more than anything else.

Offensive, no. In fact I even considered it myself but kind of dismissed it on being just not exciting. Though your list of gameplay abilities to attribute to such a pokemon has sparked my interest.

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking more on it, and while its signature ability could be "Pot o' Gold" (1.5x damage from all attacks while holding Nugget or Big Nugget), it could also have Grassy Surge (to go with an "Emerald Isle" theme, and possibly give it VGC utility) as a variant ability, and Prankster (working in conjuction with moves like Taunt and Switcheroo) as its hidden ability.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:
One thing I've been considering is "rethinking Levitate", so to speak. Basically, instead of the Levitate ability, all Pokemon species would receive a "Float?" conditional trait. It's basically a True/False flag that determines whether the Mon in question is vulnerable to Ground-type moves. All Flying types would be "Float = True" by default, but become "Float = False" upon using Roost, or being hit by Smack Down. Only Pokemon with "Float = False" would benefit from Terrain effects.

Effectively that is how it works already. There's even the balloon item that sets the flag to true (and I think maybe a baby ball item or something that disables it). So functionally  it is working how you describe, they just use levitate or flying typing to display that the flag is on. So the question is, if one were to remove levitate, how else would you be able to show that a pokemon has a ground immunity?  Would we have to go purely by the sprite (whoops it's all models now isn't it?). That might not be as clear as it seems. I remember back in the pokemon stadium days I had a friend who got upset when trying to use earthquake on Articuno. He thought earthquake should work because Articuno is visibly standing on the ground. Then again the issue I raise could easily be solved with a check box on the pokemon's status page.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Effectively that is how it works already. There's even the balloon item that sets the flag to true (and I think maybe a baby ball item or something that disables it). So functionally  it is working how you describe, they just use levitate or flying typing to display that the flag is on. So the question is, if one were to remove levitate, how else would you be able to show that a pokemon has a ground immunity?  Would we have to go purely by the sprite (whoops it's all models now isn't it?). That might not be as clear as it seems. I remember back in the pokemon stadium days I had a friend who got upset when trying to use earthquake on Articuno. He thought earthquake should work because Articuno is visibly standing on the ground. Then again the issue I raise could easily be solved with a check box on the pokemon's status page.

In theory, some Flying-types could be "Float = False". I'd make it so Ground technically deals neutral damage to Flying types, but of course, this would only be relevant when "Float = False" (i.e. just after using Roost). My assumption, though, is that all Flying-types (save for something like Flying Memory Silvally, or Protean Greninja who used Aerial Ace) would be "Float = True".

As for where to check it, it could be included in the Pokedex. Maybe just a simple "feather" or "balloon" sticker next to its typing. I'd compare it to Weight - it's a species-dependent trait that has some gameplay implications (i.e. Heat Crash, Low Kick), but it can't be checked in the middle of battle. Alternatively, just make those traits checkable in the middle of battle.

As for the item that disables it, that's the Iron Ball (also halving the holder's speed). "Iron Ball w. Trick" is one of my favorite gimmick tactics, to slow the target down and make them vulnerable to Ground attacks.

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

In theory, some Flying-types could be "Float = False". I'd make it so Ground technically deals neutral damage to Flying types, but of course, this would only be relevant when "Float = False" (i.e. just after using Roost). My assumption, though, is that all Flying-types (save for something like Flying Memory Silvally, or Protean Greninja who used Aerial Ace) would be "Float = True".

As for where to check it, it could be included in the Pokedex. Maybe just a simple "feather" or "balloon" sticker next to its typing. I'd compare it to Weight - it's a species-dependent trait that has some gameplay implications (i.e. Heat Crash, Low Kick), but it can't be checked in the middle of battle. Alternatively, just make those traits checkable in the middle of battle.

As for the item that disables it, that's the Iron Ball (also halving the holder's speed). "Iron Ball w. Trick" is one of my favorite gimmick tactics, to slow the target down and make them vulnerable to Ground attacks.

Dotrio certainly seems like a pokemon deserving of a flying type with float = false. Definitely a hold over from when flying was the bird type.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Dotrio certainly seems like a pokemon deserving of a flying type with float = false. Definitely a hold over from when flying was the bird type.

Very true. And possibly some other Flying-types who are consistently depicted with grounded sprites and/or models (i.e. Delibird, Chatot, Hawlucha). That said, balancing may be a consideration - outside of certain terrain-abusing sets, "Float = True" is a broadly preferable state of being.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, Lord_Brand said:

There are some venomous mammals:  some voles and shrews (venomous bite), all vampire bats (venomous bite, but I suppose Bats are Flying, not Normal), male platypus (platypi?) (venomous spurs on their back legs), and slow lorises (venomous bite).

Stretching the above, a regional of the Raticate or Bibarel lines, or Passimian or Oranguru could be Poison/Normal.

My opinion is that a platypus-based 'mon would be good, maybe with a form for each sex:  Male as Poison/Normal and Female as Water(?)/Normal.

Regional Komala with a beehive in its' log?

Normal/Ice: Some kind of fluffy snow animal. A snow rabbit, perhaps? Or something based on a snowman. A yeti?

I'd like an Arctic Fox-themed regional Furret Evolution.  That'd be nice.

Rock/Ghost: How about an animate tombstone? Maybe with an evolution based on a crypt? Rock Tomb would of course be a mandatory part of its moveset.

Palossand or Cofagrigas regional?

Not a fan of the name, but an Ice Snake sounds like a cool idea.

I'd kinda like a frosty frog 'mon to be honest.  Or maybe a regional variant of Nihilego (dimensional variant?).

3 hours ago, Ouzyxol said:

There are some venomous mammals:  some voles and shrews (venomous bite), all vampire bats (venomous bite, but I suppose Bats are Flying, not Normal), male platypus (platypi?) (venomous spurs on their back legs), and slow lorises (venomous bite).

Stretching the above, a regional of the Raticate or Bibarel lines, or Passimian or Oranguru could be Poison/Normal.

My opinion is that a platypus-based 'mon would be good, maybe with a form for each sex:  Male as Poison/Normal and Female as Water(?)/Normal.

Regional Komala with a beehive in its' log?

I'd like an Arctic Fox-themed regional Furret Evolution.  That'd be nice.

Palossand or Cofagrigas regional?

I'd kinda like a frosty frog 'mon to be honest.  Or maybe a regional variant of Nihilego (dimensional variant?).

I think a Platypus mon would have to be a water type. Sure it dies have a surprisingly potent poison spur,  but it's not the more immediately obvious thing about it. A water type with a few poison attacks would better encompass the idea of the animal (with normal as an optional aside, though for the purpose of filling out combinations we have normal water already).

hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Very true. And possibly some other Flying-types who are consistently depicted with grounded sprites and/or models (i.e. Delibird, Chatot, Hawlucha). That said, balancing may be a consideration - outside of certain terrain-abusing sets, "Float = True" is a broadly preferable state of being.

One way to balance that idea would be a new wearer condition that specifically damages only airborne pokemon. Maybe a lightning storm weather condition.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think a Platypus mon would have to be a water type. Sure it dies have a surprisingly potent poison spur,  but it's not the more immediately obvious thing about it. A water type with a few poison attacks would better encompass the idea of the animal (with normal as an optional aside, though for the purpose of filling out combinations we have normal water already).

I'd rather we move away from the "if it lives in the water, it needs to be Water-type" mould. That line of thinking is part of why Water is the single most abundant typing in the series. Plus, Fishing and Surfing are less interesting when everything you can encounter that way is of the same type. I'm really glad that recent generations gave us Mons like Stunfisk and Dhelmise - creatures that live in the water, but escape having the Water typing.

Also "Water/Poison platypus" is just the Platypet line from Temtem.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

One way to balance that idea would be a new wearer condition that specifically damages only airborne pokemon. Maybe a lightning storm weather condition.

Alternatively, Floating Mons could take extra damage from Hail and Sandstorm. 1/8 per turn, instead of 1/16.

Maybe also introduce "upside-down Spikes" - some kind of entry hazard that only affects floating Pokemon. This could actually build off your weather idea: have a "Stormcloud" hazard that deals 1/8 damage to Floating Mons upon entry. With a second layer Paralyzing them as well.

The "honey bear" Pokemon could be a two-stager. The first stage being a smaller, cub-like Pokemon holding a beehive, the second stage being a larger bear with, perhaps, a beehive hat or "crown" and a honey dipper as its "scepter". Though now I'm thinking the first stage could also wear the "crown" but show it to be adorably oversized.

For the Fighting/Electric type, how about an ability that modifies moves that match one of a Pokemon's two types so they're the other type as well? In this case, all Fighting-type moves are also Electric and all Electric-type moves are also Fighting. This could be one of a group of Pokemon with such an ability, including a Fighting/Fire type and a Fighting/Ice type. This gives me ideas for a whole series of (maybe legendary) Pokemon based on superheroes and villains.

Speaking of, I think a Fighting/Fairy type based on characters like Sailor Moon would be perfect. Like most Fighting-types, said Pokemon would be humanoid in build, and most likely feminine if not universally female. In addition to obvious choices like Moonblast and Moonlight, one of its signature moves could be a pose that powers up its stats. Come to think of it, Poses would make a good theme for "superhero" Pokemon in general. I'll make a topic for that.

Edited by Lord_Brand

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'd rather we move away from the "if it lives in the water, it needs to be Water-type" mould. That line of thinking is part of why Water is the single most abundant typing in the series. Plus, Fishing and Surfing are less interesting when everything you can encounter that way is of the same type. I'm really glad that recent generations gave us Mons like Stunfisk and Dhelmise - creatures that live in the water, but escape having the Water typing.

Also "Water/Poison platypus" is just the Platypet line from Temtem.

Alternatively, Floating Mons could take extra damage from Hail and Sandstorm. 1/8 per turn, instead of 1/16.

Maybe also introduce "upside-down Spikes" - some kind of entry hazard that only affects floating Pokemon. This could actually build off your weather idea: have a "Stormcloud" hazard that deals 1/8 damage to Floating Mons upon entry. With a second layer Paralyzing them as well.

We already have upside down spikes in the form of stealth rocks. They do increased damage to flying types. That could be repurposed to increased damage to floating pokemon instead.

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

The "honey bear" Pokemon could be a two-stager. The first stage being a smaller, cub-like Pokemon holding a beehive, the second stage being a larger bear with, perhaps, a beehive hat or "crown" and a honey dipper as its "scepter". Though now I'm thinking the first stage could also wear the "crown" but show it to be adorably oversized.

For the Fighting/Electric type, how about an ability that modifies moves that match one of a Pokemon's two types so they're the other type as well? In this case, all Fighting-type moves are also Electric and all Electric-type moves are also Fighting. This could be one of a group of Pokemon with such an ability, including a Fighting/Fire type and a Fighting/Ice type. This gives me ideas for a whole series of (maybe legendary) Pokemon based on superheroes and villains.

Speaking of, I think a Fighting/Fairy type based on characters like Sailor Moon would be perfect. Like most Fighting-types, said Pokemon would be humanoid in build, and most likely feminine if not universally female. In addition to obvious choices like Moonblast and Moonlight, one of its signature moves could be a pose that powers up its stats.

Come to think of it, Poses would make a good theme for "superhero" Pokemon in general. There could be multiple poses that power up different stats:

• Action Pose - Raises Attack and Speed
  • Backup Pose - Emulates the leader's pose ("leader" in this case referring to the first Pokemon on your team to use a Pose that turn)
  • Combat Pose - Raises Attack and Defense
  • Confident Pose - Raises Attack and Sp. Defense
  • Defiant Pose - Raises Defense and Speed
  • Elegant Pose - Raises Speed and Sp. Attack
  • Focus Pose - Raises Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense
  • Guard Pose - Raises Defense and Sp. Defense
  • Power Pose - Raises Attack and Sp. Attack
  • Regal Pose - Raises Defense and Sp. Attack
  • Steady Pose - Raises Speed and Sp. Defense
  • Weird Pose - Raises two stats at random

When used in Double and Triple Battles, Poses power up the whole team, and if multiple Pokemon on the same team use a Pose on the same turn, any stat raised by more than one Pose will be raised first by one stage, then two stages, and finally three stages, meaning it's possible to raise a stat by the maximum of six levels in one turn in a Triple Battle. Poses can also be mixed, with the result that overlapping stats receive the stack bonus. Some examples:

• Action Pose × 3 = six levels for Attack and Speed
  • Action × 2 + Power = Six levels for attack, three for speed, one for Sp. Attack
  • Action + Combat + Confident = six levels for Attack and one for Speed, Defense, and Sp. Defense each.
  • Action + Elegant + Power = Three levels for Attack, Sp. Attack, and Speed each.
  • Action + Defiant + Guard = One level for Attack and Sp. Defense, two for Defense and Speed.

I think the visual design of a Sailor Moon style pokemon would be difficult to pull off. As you don't want it looking too human like, but you also don't want it to lose the hype anime custy look. Maybe Some kind of anthropomorphic sailor moon animal would be better.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

We already have upside down spikes in the form of stealth rocks. They do increased damage to flying types. That could be repurposed to increased damage to floating pokemon instead.

I mean, sort of? It'd certainly be a serious change to the meta for, say, Centiskorch to go from taking 1/2 upon entry to only 1/8. And ironically, some "floating Mons", like Volcarona and Charizard, would benefit from such a change, whereas others (Magnezone, Gliscor) would clearly suffer.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think the visual design of a Sailor Moon style pokemon would be difficult to pull off. As you don't want it looking too human like, but you also don't want it to lose the hype anime custy look. Maybe Some kind of anthropomorphic sailor moon animal would be better.

Easy, just put a Teddy Bear in a serafuku. Cute and anthropomorphic without being Jynx levels of weird.

42 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I mean, sort of? It'd certainly be a serious change to the meta for, say, Centiskorch to go from taking 1/2 upon entry to only 1/8. And ironically, some "floating Mons", like Volcarona and Charizard, would benefit from such a change, whereas others (Magnezone, Gliscor) would clearly suffer.

Easy, just put a Teddy Bear in a serafuku. Cute and anthropomorphic without being Jynx levels of weird.

Well you'd also have to factor in stealth rocks and ant flying spikes deployed together. Its absolutely destroy Charizard.

42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well you'd also have to factor in stealth rocks and ant flying spikes deployed together. Its absolutely destroy Charizard.

That is fair. Still, current Stealth Rock mechanics incentivize Charizard (and other SR-weak Mons) to either use the Heavy-Duty Boots, or for another Mon to have a mechanism (i.e. Defog, Rapid Spin) to get rid of hazards. If you're using such a Mon, you're almost certain to have one or the other - in which case, stacking another hazard on top wouldn't make much difference.

And personally, I don't think adding a new hazard that only impacts Floating Mons is an excessive burden, given that all hazards but Stealth Rock exclusively impact Grounded Mons.

8 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'd pictured either a rabbit like Lopunny (Sailor Moon is based on a rabbit, after all) or something abstractly humanoid like Kirlia, Gardevoir, or Meloetta. (Come to think of it, why wasn't Meloetta's Normal type switched out for Fairy in Gen VI? Then it would be Fairy/Fighting in its pirouette form.)

What'd be really cute is if there was a trainer associated with the "senshi" Pokemon who herself dresses the part. "Sailor Moonstone" if you will. Now I want to see a Senshi Trainer class. Maybe two, split into Junior Senshi and Senior Senshi. In Japan, they'd probably be known as something like "Madou Shoujo Senshi" (translating to "Magical Girl Warrior"), with prefixes or suffixes to distinguish the two subclasses.

Edited by Lord_Brand

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I'd pictured either a rabbit like Lopunny (Sailor Moon is based on a rabbit, after all) or something abstractly humanoid like Kirlia, Gardevoir, or Meloetta. (Come to think of it, why wasn't Meloetta's Normal type switched out for Fairy in Gen VI? Then it would be Fairy/Fighting in its pirouette form.)

A rabbit could definitely work! A generic girl-like Mon could too, although even families like Ralts' are in a weird territory, appearance-wise.

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

What'd be really cute is if there was a trainer associated with the "senshi" Pokemon who herself dresses the part. "Sailor Moonstone" if you will. Now I want to see a Senshi Trainer class. Maybe two, split into Junior Senshi and Senior Senshi. In Japan, they'd probably be known as something like "Madou Shoujo Senshi" (translating to "Magical Girl Warrior"), with prefixes or suffixes to distinguish the two subclasses.

This sounds like the Furisode Girl classes of X and Y. Those were some of my favorite new classes design-wise. Maybe just call the class "Magical Girl", to avoid treading too close to Sailor Moon's proprietary representation?

On 11/29/2021 at 9:14 PM, Lord_Brand said:

Speaking of, I think a Fighting/Fairy type based on characters like Sailor Moon would be perfect. Like most Fighting-types, said Pokemon would be humanoid in build, and most likely feminine if not universally female. In addition to obvious choices like Moonblast and Moonlight, one of its signature moves could be a pose that powers up its stats. Come to think of it, Poses would make a good theme for "superhero" Pokemon in general. I'll make a topic for that.

Maybe it could start in "street clothes", or otherwise not wearing the suit, and have a "Transformation Sequence" move that boosts its stats (say, an omniboost) and changes its appearance? The trick is, it can't be used again while in serafuku form. This would revert upon switching out, or when the battle ends.

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

A rabbit could definitely work! A generic girl-like Mon could too, although even families like Ralts' are in a weird territory, appearance-wise.

This sounds like the Furisode Girl classes of X and Y. Those were some of my favorite new classes design-wise. Maybe just call the class "Magical Girl", to avoid treading too close to Sailor Moon's proprietary representation?

Maybe it could start in "street clothes", or otherwise not wearing the suit, and have a "Transformation Sequence" move that boosts its stats (say, an omniboost) and changes its appearance? The trick is, it can't be used again while in serafuku form. This would revert upon switching out, or when the battle ends.

Well "Senshi" means "Warrior" in Japan, so it should be allowed on its own. "Sailor Senshi", on the other hand, is off-limits. It should be noted that not all Magical Girls (or "mahou shoujo" 魔法少女) are also senshi; characters like Sailor Moon are specifically mahou shoujo senshi (魔法少女戦士), or "Magical Girl Warrior", due to their increased proficiency in physical combat compared to standard Magical Girls who lean more towards the "squishy wizard" archetype. Also worth noting, series like Sailor Moon also incorporate the "Sentai" genre, due to the Sailor Scouts' dynamic as a team.

That said, "Senshi Girl" would be a more accurate and descriptive term as "senshi" itself doesn't specify gender. I would also be cool with a separate Magical Girl trainer class that serves as a compliment to the Senshi Girl, playing up the aforementioned "squishy wizard" angle by favoring Pokemon with special attacks over physical, while the Senshi Girls favor a balance of the two.

The transformation gimmick is a neat idea, as many superheroes have alter egos. Perhaps the transformation is initiated by using certain moves, such as Moonlight or Moonblast? Maybe Fairy-type moves in general? Or it could be a Hold Item that transforms the user, since the Sailor Scouts use crystals to transform.

For other move ideas, I like the concept of some kind of "moon crescent" attack that functions like a Fairy-type equivalent of Razor Leaf. Maybe "Crescent Moon Cutter"? Now I'm tempted to write out a more thorough stat sheet.

Spoiler

"Mahousenshi"

• Type: Fighting/Fairy
  • Egg Groups: Human-Like, Fairy
  • Height: 4'0"
  • Weight: 80 lbs.
  • Ability: Glamorous Transformation - Using a Fairy-type move causes the user to change into their hero form.
  • Stats
    • HP: 45 (65)
    • ATK: 70 (90)
    • DEF: 40 (60)
    • SAT: 75 (95)
    • SDF: 50 (70)
    • SPD: 80 (100)
    • BST: 380 (480)
  • Learnset
    • Pound
    • Charm
    • Tearful Look
    • Disarming Voice
    • Double Kick
    • Crescent Moon Cutter - Has a high chance of scoring a critical hit. (Identical to Razor Leaf, except it's Fairy-type and is special rather than physical.)
    • Action Pose - Raises Attack and Speed. If the user's teammates pose, the team's Attack and Speed will be raised further.
    • Elegant Pose - Raises Special Attack and Speed. If the user's teammates pose, the team's Special Attack and Speed will be raised further.
    • Power Pose - Raises Attack and Special Attack. If the user's teammates pose, the team's Attack and Special Attack will be raised further.
    • Backup Pose - Emulates the leader's pose.
    • Baton Pass
    • Rolling Kick
    • Dazzling Gleam
    • Attract
    • Captivate
    • Low Sweep
    • Moonlight
    • Play Rough
    • Low Kick
    • Moonblast
    • Detect
    • Jump Kick
    • Mega Kick
    • Focus Blast 
    • High Jump Kick
    • Full Moon Restoration - The user restores the party's HP and cures status effects. The user becomes fatigued and must rest on the next turn.
    • Full Moon Devastation - The user fires a powerful beam at the target. The user becomes fatigued and must rest on the next turn. (Identical to Hyper Beam, except it's Fairy-type.)

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

For other move ideas, I like the concept of some kind of "moon crescent" attack that functions like a Fairy-type equivalent of Razor Leaf. Maybe "Crescent Moon Cutter"? Now I'm tempted to write out a more thorough stat sheet.

This is all really cool! Changing forme by using a Fairy-type move seems thematically appropriate. And the move list is a solid start. One change I would personally make is, let Crescent-Moon Cutter be a physical attack. There are already so many special Fairy moves that a physical option would stand out more.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fighting/Fairy: How about a Pokémon that's a Highland Games champion like how Hariyama is a sumo wrestler? Admittedly, such a Pokémon would've been best suited for Sword & Shield as that game's region was based on the UK, but it still would be cool to see.

Ghost/Rock: Haunted statues, though that might be too scary.

Fire/Grass: A spicy fruit such as a chili pepper. The fire typing wouldn't be because of literal fire but because of the association between spice and heat.

Bug/Dragon: The obvious answer would be a dragonfly, if only because, well, it's a dragonfly.

On 11/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, Lord_Brand said:

There already is a Jack-o-Lantern, and it's Ghost/Grass.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, vanguard333 said:

There already is a Jack-o-Lantern, and it's Ghost/Grass.

I already noted that as one of my reservations. It's an idea I've had from before Gen VI ever came out.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, vanguard333 said:

Fire/Grass: A spicy fruit such as a chili pepper. The fire typing wouldn't be because of literal fire but because of the association between spice and heat.

Fuecoco has a chile aspect to its design, though I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see it gain the Grass typing.