Unrepresented Pokemon types and what they could be

Jotari

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I already noted that as one of my reservations. It's an idea I've had from before Gen VI ever came out.

Fuecoco has a chili aspect to its design, though I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to see it gain the Grass typing.

I see; I must've missed that part.

I don't see the chili aspect to its design; it just looks like a red cartoon crocodile to me.

17 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I see; I must've missed that part.

I don't see the chili aspect to its design; it just looks like a red cartoon crocodile to me.

Looking at Fuecoco, it has a wide, rounded head that curves down to a point - an archetypal chile shape. Plus, its hairstyle resembles a stem. It's possible this is all coincidence that will disappear by the evolution, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the theming maintained as it evolves.

49 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Looking at Fuecoco, it has a wide, rounded head that curves down to a point - an archetypal chili shape. Plus, its hairstyle resembles a stem. It's possible this is all coincidence that will disappear by the evolution, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the theming maintained as it evolves.

Oh, yeah; its hair does look like a stem. I didn't really see it curving down to a point until I realized that the end of the tail would be the point.

That said, even if it isn't coincidence, I don't really see it retaining the theming as it evolves; not unless it starts sprouting chili peppers on its neck or something like that. If it does though, I would like to see it become Fire/Grass type. Not only would it fit the chili pepper idea, but it would be rather hilarious to see every starter evolve to obtain the type that's weak to them: the fire starter gaining the grass type, the grass starter gaining the water type, and the water starter gaining the fire type.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Only problem is, that would disrupt the cycle by making it so none of the three are weak to each other anymore.

True, though it would probably be fine if it was saved for their final evolutions. No one really minded when Diamond/Pearl/Platinum gave Infernape fire typing and Empoleon Steel typing (although Torterra did kind-of ruin that secondary triangle by being ground type).

In any case, I just think it would make the most sense for a chili pepper-themed Pokémon to be fire/grass (grass because peppers, fire because spice).

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Only problem is, that would disrupt the cycle by making it so none of the three are weak to each other anymore.

As someone who is honestly tired of the "Grass/Water/Fire starter trio" in general, I would be totally on-board for type changes that give them neutral matchups. Serves the "jerk" rival right, for intentionally taking the starter that beats your own!

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

In any case, I just think it would make the most sense for a chili pepper-themed Pokémon to be fire/grass (grass because peppers, fire because spice).

I do think it would make sense, especially if the following evolutions lean in to the look. That said, as of now, there aren't yet any clues thst Sprigatito would gain Water-type, or that Quaxley would get Fire. It could happen, sure, but that's not what the initial look suggests.

My guess is: Sprigatito turns Psychic, Fuecoco goes Dark, and Quaxley gets Fighting. It's completely derivative of Gen VI, which is why my money's on it happening. 

8 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Grass/Ice, Fire/Rock, and Water/Ground would be neat. Probably not gonna happen for Gen IX, but they'd be novel combinations for starters.

To be "that guy" about it, we already got Water/Ground in Swampert. No reason they couldn't do it again, though. Fire/Rock and Grass/Ice are both duos that I love aesthetically, but suffer so hard in the metagame. There's no rule that starters need to be competetively-viable, I say as someone whose favorite is Meganium. So, have at it!

38 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Grass/Ice, Fire/Rock, and Water/Ground would be neat. Probably not gonna happen for Gen IX, but they'd be novel combinations for starters.

That could be neat, but that just makes the advantages and disadvantages all the more extreme (much like X & Y had Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark); I honestly would prefer for the second types to reverse the triangle. Something like Fire/Ground, Water/Rock, Grass/Ice might be better.

30 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

To be "that guy" about it, we already got Water/Ground in Swampert. No reason they couldn't do it again, though. Fire/Rock and Grass/Ice are both duos that I love aesthetically, but suffer so hard in the metagame. There's no rule that starters need to be competetively-viable, I say as someone whose favorite is Meganium. So, have at it!

It's not like they haven't reused starter type combinations; they did three fire/fighting types in a row after all.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I do think it would make sense, especially if the following evolutions lean in to the look. That said, as of now, there aren't yet any clues that Sprigatito would gain Water-type, or that Quaxley would get Fire. It could happen, sure, but that's not what the initial look suggests.

Thanks.

Very true; there is nothing right now indicating that the other two would follow the pattern I suggested; it's especially unlikely in Sprigatito's case because it's a cat, and I don't recall cats ever being a fan of water. It might be possible with Quaxly, as Quaxly does have what appears to be a captain's hat on his head, so he could gain a fire type as part of a ship theme. It's unlikely, but it's possible.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

That could be neat, but that just makes the advantages and disadvantages all the more extreme (much like X & Y had Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark); I honestly would prefer for the second types to reverse the triangle. Something like Fire/Ground, Water/Rock, Grass/Ice might be better.

But doesn't that still make them doubly weak to their default weakness? XD At least it gives them a chance to fight back, though, since Ground > Rock > Ice > Ground. An interesting setup, to be sure!

@Shanty Pete's 1st Mate What if they had a new cycle of starters who are dual-type from the get-go? Yes, they'd still be Grass/Fire/Water, but they could also represent a new cycle, and maybe ease players into the concept of Starter cycles that aren't Grass/Fire/Water? Just to drive the point further, the other types could be their primary types.

Edited by Lord_Brand

8 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

But doesn't that still make them doubly weak to their default weakness? XD At least it gives them a chance to fight back, though, since Ground > Rock > Ice > Ground. An interesting setup, to be sure!

I didn't even realize that; you're absolutely right. It does make them doubly weak to their default weakness. The funny thing is, there's isn't a way to rearrange it that doesn't make at least one of them doubly weak to their default weakness:

Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice, Water/Ground: water starter becomes doubly weak to grass, and the ice isn't even super effective against water/ground.

Grass/Ground, Fire/Rock, Water/Ice: fire starter becomes doubly weak to water.

The one I originally suggested is the only one that's 'fair' in the sense that all three become doubly weak.

On 11/26/2021 at 3:18 AM, Jotari said:

Rock-Ghost

I'm a bit surprised that Runegrigus (or whatever that Galarian equivalent of Cofagrigus is named) is Ground-Ghost instead of Rock-Ghost, with it's stone-looking slabs.

As for the starters triangle, what about Grass/Rock vs Fire/Flying vs Water/Fighting? G/R is defensively neutral against Fire and Flying. Fr/Fl can be offensively strong with Flying against W/Ft, but defensively weak with Fire. W/Ft is offensively strong against G/R with Fighting, but defensively weak against Grass.

Edited by henrymidfields

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice, Water/Ground: water starter becomes doubly weak to grass, and the ice isn't even super effective against water/ground.

laughs in Freeze-Dry

10 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I'm a bit surprised that Runegrigus (or whatever that Galarian equivalent of Cofagrigus is named) is Ground-Ghost instead of Rock-Ghost, with it's stone-looking slabs.

Stonjourner would have made perfect sense as a Rock/Ghost-type, too. Yet Game Freak refuses to give us a Rock-type that's immune to Fighting-type attacks.

Oh, and another one: Grass/Electric vs Fire/Flying vs Water/Ground:

Gs/E
Against Fr/Fl: defensively weak to Fire, neutral to Flying. Offensively strong with Electric.
Against W/Gd: Defensively neutral to Ground. Offense-wise, doubly strong with Grass.

Fr/Fl
Against W/Gd: Defensively weak to Water, but shuts down any Ground attacks.
Against Gs/E: Weak from Electric attacks, strong with Fire attacks.

W/Gd
Against Gs/E: Has a double weakness against Grass, but let's face it, this Water type would probably learn an Ice-type move or two like most Water types do anyway. Also an immunity against Electric.
Against Fr/Fl: Offensively strong with Water, but ineffective with Ground.

Edited by henrymidfields

What would be really neat is if they introduced some new spin on the starters mechanically, like branching evolution paths that give your starters access to different secondary types. Say, that fighter/mage/thief model I've suggested before.

• Grass
    • Fighter: Grass/Rock
    • Mage: Grass/Fairy
    • Thief: Grass/Poison
  • Fire
    • Fighter: Fire/Steel
    • Mage: Fire/Ghost
    • Thief: Fire/Flying
  • Water
    • Fighter: Water/Fighting
    • Mage: Water/Psychic
    • Thief: Water/Dark

5 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

What would be really neat is if they introduced some new spin on the starters mechanically, like branching evolution paths that give your starters access to different secondary types. Say, that fighter/mage/thief model I've suggested before.

• Grass
    • Fighter: Grass/Rock
    • Mage: Grass/Fairy
    • Thief: Grass/Poison
  • Fire
    • Fighter: Fire/Steel
    • Mage: Fire/Ghost
    • Thief: Fire/Flying
  • Water
    • Fighter: Water/Fighting
    • Mage: Water/Psychic
    • Thief: Water/Dark

Hey, I'm always here for branching evolutions. Especially if there's a thematic angle involved. So, if I had the Grass starter, and made it a Fighter, would my rivals do the same? Or would they fill out the remaining roles (say, Mage Fire starter, and Thief Water starter)?

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hey, I'm always here for branching evolutions. Especially if there's a thematic angle involved. So, if I had the Grass starter, and made it a Fighter, would my rivals do the same? Or would they fill out the remaining roles (say, Mage Fire starter, and Thief Water starter)?

Hmm, that's a good question! My instinct says yes they would, though it'd be interesting if there was a rival for each of the "classes". But then there's the question of which types each would pick. I guess one would pick the same as you? Or maybe the series gives us a choice of more than two protagonists for the first time. Maybe you pick your trainer's "class" and your starter evolves to match them? Then your rivals are pulled from the remaining two class pools. Or, if we want to go even further beyond, there are always three boys and three girls, one of whom you're playing, and so their respective types and classes are determined by which Trainer and Starter you pick. For example...

• You pick the male Fighter Trainer. You choose the Fire Starter.
  • The Male Mage picks the Water starter.
  • The Male Thief picks the Grass Starter.
  • The Female Fighter picks the Water starter.
  • The Female Mage picks the Grass starter.
  • The Female Thief picks the Fire starter.
Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

If the rival is designed to match the evolution you choose for your pokemon in a branching starter then you run into the issue of what would happen if you simply don't evolve your starter. Is the rival left with an unevolved pokemon in their endgame team? Or do they just default to one or the other? What if you evolve your starter between two encounters, does the rival continue to have the previous version they were locked into? Going the other route and having a starter for each branch runs the risk of just having way too many rivals than the game knows what to do with (which has been a problem in some games).

Here's a novel idea, no type teamed starters. I really liked how the two pokemon you got in Coliseum to start with were Umbreon and Espeon.