How to get better at FE games

Oops! All OCs

So... I recently posted on the Conquest board about my current Hard/Casual file, and was asking for some help on it.
And well, I managed to complete that map, but now I'm having trouble on the next.

This is somewhat of a reoccurring problem (struggling greatly on map after map), and I feel like I should try getting more help on the center of the issue.

One of the reasons why I joined this site was to ask this question, since there aren't that many on sites that I browse, and the only other place I could think to ask was the FE subreddit on Reddit, but this site is FE focused, so I figured that this would be a better place to try asking this again.

I feel like I've struggled with strategy games for quite a while, I tend not to think multiple turns in advance, or even one turn, and make very major mistakes that gets units killed. I'd have to reload several times on maps to avoid losing a single unit, while I feel like others don't have the same issue. Because they have more skill for sure (and experience), but I was wondering if there was any way I could achieve the same thing.

I had played Dark Souls, I beat it and came out literally refined and better able to handle what was considered "the hardest game of all time". Does something like Dark Souls of strategy games exist that will make me become a better strategist, or should I just focus on getting more experience by playing and beating harder difficulties in FE games (like a unit, ironically lmao)?

There is also a video that mentions FE12's first chapters and how they will make you a better player, should I consider trying those?

For me, the best way to improve is to pause for a moment every time you die, lose a unit, need to reset, etc. Ask yourself what went wrong and what you could have done differently to avoid the problem. There are lots of possibilities. I got overconfident. I didn't check enemy stats/weapons/skills. I was too passive and got overwhelmed. I was too aggressive and over-extended. I brought the wrong units to the map. My initial formation was poor. I chose the wrong unit for the job it was doing. And so on and so forth. If you figure out what you did wrong then you'll be able to avoid doing the exact same thing next time, and you'll also start to notice patterns. What are the sorts of mistakes that you make a lot? Once you figure that out, you can start to avoid that mistake before you even make it.

For the most part, I agree with the above; in general, if you restart, you should think about what went wrong and what you could've done differently. Common issues include, but aren't limited to the following:

• Getting overwhelmed because you were too passive
  • Getting too aggressive and overextending
  • Bringing the wrong units to the map
  • Poor initial formation
  • Not checking enemy stats/weapons/skills (I would consider this to be a big one, as for example, a knight can easily defeat sword users while taking little to no damage from them, but if they have an armorslayer, a sword which is effective against knights, you're better off allowing someone else to take them out.)
Edited by Shadow Mir

FE has something that many SRPGs don't, and that's the ability to calculate everything ahead of time.  The general rule is (attack power) minus (defensive power), with stuff like effective damage being thrown in (effective damage equals "dish it out to the enemy, but avoid it on your end").  Check enemy ranges to make sure that a single unit doesn't take more damage than it can handle in a turn.  Evasion can also be calculated, but it's far more complicated in Fates/3H than it was in the GBA games.

SRPGs are strategy games at their core, which means you'll need to think at least to the enemy phase.  While the specific calculations won't carry over, understanding how SRPGs work will carry over through the genre (it's why I'm having a blast with Super Robot Wars, even if the thought of Hector in a giant robot is a little terrifying).

Basically, your initial formation for a team of units should be a line that consists of a Knight and anyone else who can tank a hit or two. The second line should be a mage or an archer. Then you should have an extra unit or two that can be rotated out for when your front-liners take a beating and you should allocate a healer for each team that you have.

But this also depends on what you're facing, since a few mages will tear apart your front line apart; which is why you also have to be ready to bait the enemy or seize the initiative and be ready to fight from there. Terrain and enemy placement is also an issue, since you can't always just rush an guy and hope that his buddies won't retaliate.

42 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Evasion can also be calculated, but it's far more complicated in Fates/3H than it was in the GBA games.

At least 3H actually shows you your opponents' evasion, though. And the UI manages to be better than the 3DS games, but I can't remember if it tracks the evasion bonus from personal skills.

Edited by Armchair General

14 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

At least 3H actually shows you your opponents' evasion, though.

I think something got crossed here?  Are you talking about the odds of not eating a crit or the odds of not being hit?

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I think something got crossed here?  Are you talking about the odds of not eating a crit or the odds of not being hit?

Odds of you landing a hit and your opponents base accuracy. But the only thing it doesn't show you is your critical avoid until you're actually fighting someone.

It's under the "Avo" and "hit" box whenever you bring up a unit's spreadsheet.

I actually found a video that explains this.

Fast forward to around 2:20 to see how your hit rate is calculated. Of course, you'll still have to the math against your opponents' spreadsheets if you can't move your units to display a combat forecast.

59 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Odds of you landing a hit and your opponents base accuracy. But the only thing it doesn't show you is your critical avoid until you're actually fighting someone.

3H is way more complicated when it comes to math.  Earlier games showed the odds of you and your opponent landing a hit (not the true odds, thanks 2RN), which IMO is what I'd rather see.

The most important thing is the luck stat. Have you ever wondered why the RNG is against you? Luck. Everything is luck. The series is a lie. It's all just a luck simulator....

(Jokes aside, but yeah I agree with everyone else, plan ahead every turn, take it turn by turn and check enemies often👍)

Savestates

Ahem! Some basic but always useful advice (some stuff I'll say you probably know already but I will mention it anyway because I don't know how hard it is for you): Always check your units' and foes' move and attack range BEFORE MOVING YOUR UNITS, mind that you can have a unit just stand in enemy's range and counterattack instead of attacking first so they can finish the enemy in your turn without getting the damage (obviously this is not always appliable but is really useful to know this, since sometimes its what will make you not lose an unit), have as much supports as possible (even if you don't care about the conversations, do it for the bonus), always mind the weapon triangle!!!, never forget that you can rescue units (useful for LOTS of motives, including carrying them from one place to another, rescuing someone that would die in the enmy phase otherwise when there's no healer around, etc), never forget that mounted units have canto, never forget weapon efficacy, don't engage in risky combats (like if you have a low hit chance, the enemy has a high crit chance that will get you killed, etc) (unless savestates), always think well while choosing which units and weapons to take to each map, your problem might be XP management and everyone ends up being weak so its ok to look up if a unit is useful or not as soon as you recruit them (to know whether you let them get XP or not), try to attack your foes with weapons that have a range that make them unable to counterattack, don't you ever rely 100% on your avoid tanks (unless save states), Never forget to bring a least one healer, if you lost to a unit to a crappy 2% crit from an enemy don't worry cause everyone has been there and its just bad luck not bad strategy (its really frustrating though), if your foe has a high crit chance then attack him with someone that he won't be able to counterattack/with someone that can one shot him/with someone that is tanky enough to take a crit from him wothout dying (or savestates), always mind terrain, in FoW maps you should never let your frail units close to the fog and also avoid bringing too many frail units and flying units too because sometimes you won't be able to spot a bow.

Also, in case you have trouble and want to pass the maps but don't mind whether its entirely for your merit or not, there are always guides, some of them give you a pretty detailed info while others just give tips, just pick what you want! If you google the name of the chapter and game you're playing you'll always find it (normally either on FE wiki, or in FE WoD, and in particularly hard chapters you'll prob find some questions on forums like SF, Reddit or GameFaqs too).

Ok, I'm going to stop with the savestates joke now, because its important to know that if you get used to use them after every mistake you'll have a pretty hard time playing the games that don't have them (I know, you said you are playing FE Fates, you cant really use save stated there, but anyway dont get used to them if you decide to play the older games), and then you'll be way more flustrated for losing an unit since you are basically saved from this with save states. Also, I agree with everyone's other points so far.

5 hours ago, Oops! All OCs said:

I had played Dark Souls, I beat it and came out literally refined and better able to handle what was considered "the hardest game of all time". Does something like Dark Souls of strategy games exist that will make me become a better strategist, or should I just focus on getting more experience by playing and beating harder difficulties in FE games (like a unit, ironically lmao)?

Actually I think that you should start with easier games for learning new strategy techniques and how to use them, eventually you'll apply them to harder games and even be able to create your own strategies. I reccommend giving a try to FE7 or FE8, don't use/avoid using save states while playing because its a bad habit, learn with your mistakes and eventually you'll get good at playing it. 

I believe the best thing to do in order to get better at a game is to understand a game better.

Fire Emblem is a very weird game to get into for a lot of people because most people try and play it like an RPG akin to Pokemon or Final Fantasy when the best way to think about it is like a game of Chess. While in most RPGs you can find a niche for every class or character in Fire Emblem some classes are just better than others. 

A perfect example of this is to compare a knight to a cavalier, knights have low movement, access to lances, and high base defense, on the other hand cavaliers have high movement, access to lances AND swords, and average stats all around. Now then, I believe it's quite obvious that cavaliers are going to be the better option almost every time, movement is key when it comes to grid based games so it's no secret that everything on a horse, flying horse, or wyvern will almost always be better than anything on foot... or paws? 

another thing to consider is promotion, most new players will try to promote as late as possible under the assumption that it'll pay off more in the end, while yes that technically is true, it's also true that promotion bonuses will almost always be worth more than an average level up for a character and there is more immediate payoff, so it's overall better to go on a case by case basis, is this character falling off a cliff very fast? Promote them as soon as you can if you still want to use them, is this character holding their own well enough? You're safe to wait a bit longer but it's advised to almost never promote at 20, I personally recommend 15-17 range.

In the case of Fates specifically you want to check enemy skills often and take advantage of small things like forges, cooking, and support bonuses, they add up a lot. Money management can also be a problem to some new to Conquest so as a general rule of thumb don't buy what you don't immediately need, the seals and staves aren't going to leave the store, it's okay to wait. 

If you want a good video going into some common trappings of Fire Emblem players I recommend MidnightCowboi's Fire Emblem video essay, it's funny and provides a unique outlook on Fire Emblem as a series 

Conquest is entirely fair in almost everything it does, you can predict almost everything that can happen because the game gives you all the information you need, along with that the game makes use of several gimmicks in a few chapters that can help you deal with other things throughout the series, an example would be the wind map. Many people hate this map because ''oh no, my units aren't going where I want them to go and I can't deal with it''. This is because those people aren't, let's just say ''good''. More accurately Conquest requires you to be far more flexible with how you play, you can't just deploy the same units every chapter and go wee until the credits, you have to actually think about what might happen, this knowledge is especially useful in other FEs with staves such as sleep and berserk, it allows you to be more flexible and take into account what might happen if things should go wrong.

If you believe Conquest to be unfair right now I recommend you start checking things more, and actually thinking out your moves, people who don't like to plan out their moves may have a lot of trouble with this game and call it luck based or unfair because they don't have the patience to check everything.

This game will catch you in a corner at one point or another, that's just how games with hit rates and crit rates work, and you're bound to miss something, however when that happens don't feel cheated or discouraged, simply take a breather and reflect on what happened and change up your strategy for the next time. Don't let people tell you that the game throws bullshit at you, all that will do is give you an excuse for bad play which can lead into a refusal to learn to get better, I know that's something I dealt with for a while playing FE6, people said it was unfair so whenever I lost a unit I'd just call the game bad and not learn anything and in turn tell others that the game is unfair, sure it has unfair moments like the rutger gang and siege tomes but then again, every Fire Emblem has ''Gotcha!'' moments. Conquest has the least amount of those moments IMO so it's the perfect game to practice with.

Edited by Theghostcreator
adding more information about Conquest specifically.

One things people haven't mentioned that I think help you learn, is to watch how other play the game. Watch a few LPs or ironman runs with commentary, and see what they do, and what they feel is important enough to mention. You don't want to copy their every move, but just get an idea of how they deal with a problem, what they are worried about, what trips them up, and how they deal with it all.

5 hours ago, Oops! All OCs said:

I feel like I've struggled with strategy games for quite a while, I tend not to think multiple turns in advance, or even one turn, and make very major mistakes that gets units killed.

One of the most important things to learn, is how well your units will deal with enemy phase. If you plan out your turn with how you will survive enemy phase in mind, it will help a lot.

1 hour ago, Oops! All OCs said:

The game I first think of for this is Conquest, as when I first played it on hard, it was at that perfect threshold where it was always doable, but it pushed my ability to its limit, and after which I felt like I could complete any other game and difficulty, and I have seen people display a similar sentiment with Conquest before as well, but I think that feeling is very dependent on where your skill level is at, and its far more dependent on where your skill level is at, as that feeling of being pushed, but not broken by it is really important

8 hours ago, Oops! All OCs said:

There is also a video that mentions FE12's first chapters and how they will make you a better player, should I consider trying those?

...Maybe, but FE12 is a bit of an extreme game, especially on the higher difficulties. One way it might help is that moves have a permanence to them, there is no Canto, Rescue, Shelter, Rally, or Pair-up you can use to rearrange your units, or buff a key stat to save them, where they act is where they will stay, and if you haven't planned for enemy phase, your units will suffer. Eventually you get some movement staff, and a dancer to give you a little wiggle room, but most of those other wiggle room mechanics are far less costly, and come immediately in other games. I could see FE12 as another FE game that could give you that trial-by-fire Dark Soul FE game like above, but again it really depends on where your skill level is at...

50 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

always mind the weapon triangle!!!, never forget that you can rescue units (useful for LOTS of motives, including carrying them from one place to another, rescuing someone that would die in the enmy phase otherwise when there's no healer around, etc), never forget that mounted units have canto,

52 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

in FoW maps you should never let your frail units close to the fog and also avoid bringing too many frail units and flying units too because sometimes you won't be able to spot a bow.

Careful there, all of these mechanics are rather game dependent, and quite a few of them don't apply to Fates (like "rescue" doesn't really function that way, and no fog of war at all...)

This probably won't work for everyone, but I jumped blind into Radiant Dawn as my first ever FE game at the ripe age of 11 and got my butt kicked until I got good. Of course RD is kinda hard to get your hands on now but admittedly I haven't had a problem with any other FE thanks to that experience.

But yeah, some general advice that works for all of them is mind your formations, take advantage of terrain bonuses, and make sure to check enemy stats so you don't land yourself in a bind. Watch your squishies, heal your tanks, and don't mind the random 2% crit chance hitting because that's just bad RNG and has happened to everyone once. I promise.

Assume every attack you make will miss.

Assume every attack they make will hit.

Gambling on 80% odds every turn for five turns will come to bite you.

Edited by Parrhesia

1 hour ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

This probably won't work for everyone, but I jumped blind into Radiant Dawn as my first ever FE game at the ripe age of 11 and got my butt kicked until I got good. Of course RD is kinda hard to get your hands on now but admittedly I haven't had a problem with any other FE thanks to that experience.

But yeah, some general advice that works for all of them is mind your formations, take advantage of terrain bonuses, and make sure to check enemy stats so you don't land yourself in a bind. Watch your squishies, heal your tanks, and don't mind the random 2% crit chance hitting because that's just bad RNG and has happened to everyone once. I promise.

Strangely enough, it seems that as I proceed further, making sure to lower my expectations for myself (I should have done this the very moment I learnt that Normal Conquest is harder than Blue Lions Hard) since I technically ramped up the difficulty tremendously by deciding that my next FE playthrough is of a game that I haven't played in years, will not be grinding or using DLC, will be on Hard, and it will (unknowingly) be on a very difficult FE game that is called "Fates: Conquest".

The long cave stairs was another map that tripped me up. Played extremely perfectly until the end, only had one or two units retreat, but I was basically turns ahead from the Faceless, then got swarmed by Faceless at the end and a bunch of units had to retreat. I still managed to win by getting a 1 HP Camilla, Corrin and a pair of units to the end though. Even got the stat increase item from the boss by greeding with Corrin and another unit, getting them KO'd in the process.

18 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

One things people haven't mentioned that I think help you learn, is to watch how other play the game. Watch a few LPs or ironman runs with commentary, and see what they do, and what they feel is important enough to mention. You don't want to copy their every move, but just get an idea of how they deal with a problem, what they are worried about, what trips them up, and how they deal with it all.

One of the most important things to learn, is how well your units will deal with enemy phase. If you plan out your turn with how you will survive enemy phase in mind, it will help a lot.

The game I first think of for this is Conquest, as when I first played it on hard, it was at that perfect threshold where it was always doable, but it pushed my ability to its limit, and after which I felt like I could complete any other game and difficulty, and I have seen people display a similar sentiment with Conquest before as well, but I think that feeling is very dependent on where your skill level is at, and its far more dependent on where your skill level is at, as that feeling of being pushed, but not broken by it is really important

...Maybe, but FE12 is a bit of an extreme game, especially on the higher difficulties. One way it might help is that moves have a permanence to them, there is no Canto, Rescue, Shelter, Rally, or Pair-up you can use to rearrange your units, or buff a key stat to save them, where they act is where they will stay, and if you haven't planned for enemy phase, your units will suffer. Eventually you get some movement staff, and a dancer to give you a little wiggle room, but most of those other wiggle room mechanics are far less costly, and come immediately in other games. I could see FE12 as another FE game that could give you that trial-by-fire Dark Soul FE game like above, but again it really depends on where your skill level is at...

Careful there, all of these mechanics are rather game dependent, and quite a few of them don't apply to Fates (like "rescue" doesn't really function that way, and no fog of war at all...)

Of course! Why didn't I think of something so obvious? This is one of the first things I should have thought to do, but I didn't. Thank you. I'll try and see if I can find LPs of expert players who explain their moves to me.

Some maps like the cave stairs map on Conquest makes that very, very difficult imo, I never learnt how to counter the Stoneborns and their 5 hit range without tanking to make them waste turns, but I got through it somehow.

I sadly, don't think my skill level is super high, but that's probably because I upped the difficulty far higher than what I am used to: "deciding that my next FE playthrough is of a game that I haven't played in years, will not be grinding or using DLC, will be on Hard, and it will (unknowingly) be on a very difficult FE game that is called "Fates: Conquest".

I'm going to try and simply focus on winning maps (regardless of how I accomplish a victory), and going as far as I can on Hard+Casual. I'll lower the difficulty or try using DLC or wifi skills if I feel like I'm struggling too much. I just managed to beat Sakura's chapter, but that's probably because it seems simpler compared to the previous one.

Next up is Takumi... ugh, I VAGUELY remember how his map looked... this is gonna suck.

The biggest advice I have, in addition to the excellent points others have already raised, is this:

At the start of any player phase, try to figure out which enemies you plan to eliminate this turn (or neutralize via don't-move effects), and which ones you can't. You can, if necessary, calculate all your damage in advance to see what's possible. Try to leave a little leeway in case some attacks miss, especially if you have to make numerous attacks below ~90 hit. Once you do that, make sure your squishier units avoid the threat ranges of any enemies you aren't planning to eliminate. It helps to develop a sense of how many hits your units can take (again, you can check numbers to figure this out precisely if needed), so you know how many enemies you can leave them in range of. Check unit threat ranges like a hawk, and make use of the ability to toggle individual ones on/off in the games which allow that.

On enemy criticals: Be aware of enemies with significant crit rates (e.g. killer weaponry), as well as any PCs you have which take crit rates against normal enemies (usually just PCs with really low luck, like Arthur in Conquest). During combat watch the window which shows damage/hit/crit projections. If you see an enemy with non-zero crit against you, take note of it, even if they don't get a critical hit this time, and take steps to avoid that in the future (unless you can survive the 3x damage, i.e. your unit is very durable).

On 11/25/2021 at 12:51 PM, eclipse said:

3H is way more complicated when it comes to math.  Earlier games showed the odds of you and your opponent landing a hit (not the true odds, thanks 2RN), which IMO is what I'd rather see.

Hm, what do you mean by this? FE3H still shows hit and avo in the status screen, just like GBA/etc., and still shows calculated hit chance in the combat prediction. In fact 3H is actually a bit nicer than earlier games because it will also show you hit chance of an enemy's planned attack on the enemy phase if you move the cursor over them. It also doesn't have a varied set of weapon triangle effects to keep track of the way the DS games and Awakening/Fates do.

The actual hit and avo stats are a little harder to calculate ahead of time (due to prowess skills and the like), but I don't think that's a big deal, since they'll be calculated for you by the time you're making actual decisions (and you can see how they update as you change weapons, for instance).

On 11/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, Oops! All OCs said:

I'm not gonna lie as somebody who's pretty decent at FE games (despite playing all of them I don't feel like im excellent at this stuff at all) fe12's prologue chapters were just incredibly frustrating and I wish they did not exist

My only tips are that taking your time and not trying to rush your units in to danger when they don't need to be is a good strategy. Other stuff you don't want to do is rely on risky 60% hits or 20%-30% crits to bail you out of trouble as this is not worth ending your entire chapter over when it doesn't work out

There's also nothing inherently wrong with turtling, if it makes the chapter doable, then just do it, there's no reason to play like you're playing ranked when you're in a casual playthrough

Conquest is IMO 100% against the player shutting down nearly all options they could have on nearly every map and the hardest FE game ever, it isn't meant to be fair and is more luck based than the lottery so I wouldn't worry about getting better at that game.

Despite the website saying it's the "traditional" FE game it isn't in any respect considering it loses the spirit of practically any FE game.

Birthright is FAR more like any FE game playable yet IS calls it a departion from the FE series:

you can farm (like the Arena in FE 4-8 and 11-12), you can farm supports Like FE 6-8, and enemies don't have unfair skills (Like FE9-10 and maybe 12), heck it even has a Dragon as the final boss (like most FE endings).

TL;DR Don't worry about getting good at Conquest it's (supposedly) intentionally completely unfair.

Edited by Fates-Blade

37 minutes ago, Fates-Blade said:

Conquest is IMO 100% against the player shutting down nearly all options they could have on nearly every map and the hardest FE game ever, it isn't meant to be fair and is more luck based than the lottery so I wouldn't worry about getting better at that game.

??? Conquest gives you many options and tools to work with, and is a game you can get better at with practice. Barring Lunatic's Endgame map, I have found the game rather fair throughout. None of the mechanics introduce more luck than most of the FE games, and there are plenty of games that rely far more on Luck (FE13 with random pair-up attacks and block, FE6 with its low hit rates and massive throne boosts, FE5 with it min 1 max 99 accuracy movement stars and massive throne bonus all come to mind as games that are obviously more luck based than Conquest, and there are many more games that are debatable). Also New Mystery Lunatic Reverse almost certainly harder than Conquest Lunatic.

9 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

TL;DR Don't worry about getting good at Conquest it's (supposedly) intentionally completely unfair.

It really isn't...

18 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

you can farm (like the Arena in FE 4-8 and 11-12), you can farm supports Like FE 6-8, and enemies don't have unfair skills (Like FE9-10 and maybe 12)

farming... isn't fair game design? I understand the sentiment but that's just now what Conquest is about, being given a set amount of money and experience isn't unfair, if anything it's entirely fair. 

it isn't meant to be fair and is more luck based than the lottery so I wouldn't worry about getting better at that game.

telling someone that the game they're playing isn't fair will only allow them to excuse their mistakes which will halt their improvement. Conquest's design is far more fair than any other Fire Emblem game, you have more than enough safety nets through royals, einherjars, and captured units, and you can literally check every skill and stat the enemy has as well as whether they're stationary or not. 

Birthright is FAR more like any FE game playable yet IS calls it a departion from the FE series

in the sense that you can solo the entire game with one unit? Give me a break, once you get Ryoma the game becomes less fair than Conquest if you happen to get unlucky enough to lose him, yeah, that's very fair.

100% against the player shutting down nearly all options they could have

ah yes, having varied enemy layouts and requiring you to actually bring different units for different occasions is definitely limiting options, come on you're complaining that a strategy game is being a strategy and praising BR which has little to no strategy as soon as you get lobster man.

21 hours ago, Fates-Blade said:

Despite the website saying it's the "traditional" FE game it isn't in any respect considering it loses the spirit of practically any FE game.

Birthright is FAR more like any FE game playable yet IS calls it a departion from the FE series:

you can farm (like the Arena in FE 4-8 and 11-12), you can farm supports Like FE 6-8, and enemies don't have unfair skills (Like FE9-10 and maybe 12), heck it even has a Dragon as the final boss (like most FE endings).

You're exaggerating in a big way. About the only unfair stuff about Conquest is the endgame on Lunatic and chapter 20. Compare that to crap like SD H5, Binding Blade, or Thracia, all of which are far more luck-based. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

You're exaggerating in a big way. About the only unfair stuff about Conquest is the endgame on Lunatic and chapter 20. Compare that to crap like SD H5, Binding Blade, or Thracia, all of which are far more luck-based.

Some of the stuff in Conquest is kind of predictable or controllable: The rallybots, the gang of lunge ninjas, Fuga's map, Hinoka's last stand, Sakura's map, Forrest's chapter can be cheesed by using Entrap, the port map, the penultimate level, Iago's map is exploitable in terms of enemy placement, Cheve...

The only way that you can fail these is if the stat gains screw you over or you consistently forget who is capable of killing whom. Plus, you haven't settled on an endgame build.

Yeah I should probably explain the unfairness of Conquest:

1. Lunge, Seal skills, and Poison Strike skills: these are without a doubt the most annoying part of Conquest and IMO prevents you from using certain units like Arthur because of their lack of defense which is completely unfair IMO and since you would need to one round a lot of enemies it's very luck based.

After lunge is used many enemies can surround a unit and kill them only characters with high defense and in defense stance can survive which is completely unfair.

2. Enemy Reinforcements:

This has been an extremely annoying thing for me, they litterally arrive RIGHT near your units if you don't know EXACTLY where placing a unit triggers their spawn, which can easily kill any of your units espeically when they have good skills.

3. The most unfair chapters in the game IMO:

CH10: Because of Lunge.

CH19: Because of it's gimmick.

https://youtu.be/_X3jmCAPkQ0?t=671

CH20: Because you have to be good enough to mow down enemy after enemy.

4. The bosses:

This is a minor issue but the skills and equipment they have equipped make completely no sense.

CH 11 Hinoka: Winged Shield seriously? When can we get a Winged Shield?

CH 13: Scarlet: Death Blow seriously?

CH 17 Kotaro: We have the caltrops we have to keep Saizo alive, and we have to deal with Grisly Wound (which normally only the Wolfssenger can learn but he oddly has it) and Trample and he's on a throne WITH high speed AND Duelist Blow???

CH 19 Kaden: Armored Blow and Pass how??

CH20 Fuga: Seal Str, Spd and Def, and Sol that he can't even learn normally AND he's on a Throne AND has 1-2 range weapons ONLY enemies can have?

CH 25: Ryoma: Lunatic and Hard have a VERY different Ryoma but look at his OP stats AND HE MOVES, not much else to say.

CH26 Iago: his infinite staff usage and you don't AT LEAST get a siege tome OR a Silence staff, oh and also a million Generals with OP wary fighter ready to kill you and if that wasn't enought Stoneborn that can immobolize you anywhere and kill you anywhere.😡

Conquest EG: We all know the issues with this.

Let me be clear that this only applies if a player doesn't use online features.

Edited by Fates-Blade

2 minutes ago, Fates-Blade said:

Yeah I should probably explain the unfairness of Conquest:

1. Lunge, Seal skills, and Poison Strike skills: these are without a doubt the most annoying part of Conquest and IMO prevents you from using certain units like Arthur because of their lack of defense which is completely unfair IMO and since you would need to one round a lot of enemies it's very luck based.

After lunge is used many enemies can surround a unit and kill them only characters with high defense and in defense stance can survive which is completely unfair.

2. Enemy Reinforcements:

This has been an extremely annoying thing for me, they litterally arrive RIGHT near your units if you don't know EXACTLY where placing a unit triggers their spawn, which can easily kill any of your units espeically when they have good skills.

3. The most unfair chapters in the game IMO:

CH10: Because of Lunge.

CH19: Because of it's gimmick.

https://youtu.be/_X3jmCAPkQ0?t=671

CH20: Because you have to be good enough to mow down enemy after enemy.

4. The bosses:

This is a minor issue but the skills and equipment they have equipped make completely no sense.

CH 11 Hinoka: Winged Shield seriously? When can we get a Winged Shield?

CH 13: Scarlet: Death Blow seriously?

CH 17 Kotaro: We have the caltrops we have to keep Saizo alive, and we have to deal with Grisly Wound (which normally only the Wolfssenger can learn but he oddly has it) and Trample and he's on a throne WITH high speed AND Duelist Blow???

CH 19 Kaden: Armored Blow and Pass how??

CH20 Fuga: Seal Str, Spd and Def, and Sol that he can't even learn normally AND he's on a Throne AND has 1-2 range weapons ONLY enemies can have?

CH 25: Ryoma: Lunatic and Hard have a VERY different Ryoma but look at his OP stats AND HE MOVES, not much else to say.

CH26 Iago: his infinite staff usage and you don't AT LEAST get a siege tome OR a Silence staff and Hans with basically all the blows in the game ready for you when you open the door with a million Generals with OP wary fighter ready to kill you and if that wasn't enought Faceless that can immobolize you anywhere and kill you anywhere. 😡

Conquest EG: We all now the issues with this.

Most if not all of the examples you listed give you time to assess the situation, this isn't unfairness you're complaining about, you're complaining about the game giving you a lot of things to think about. 

You're complaining about bosses having skills you need to work around, anti-cheese skills, and skills that require you to plan around them... this is completely fair my dude, literally nothing jumps out of bushes and goes "hey blue units, I'ma do a pro-gamer move and ambush your units" or "hey blue units, I'm just gonna reveal my hidden skill". 

Conquest requires you to look at the board, deal with it, I'm sorry if you've had a bad experience with Conquest in the past but all of these design decisions are at least somewhat predictable, you aren't dealing with desert + fog of war + wyverns. There aren't ambush spawns in CQ BTW.

If you limit every single out of the box method of designing challenges because you deem them ''unfair'' then all you're left with is a game able to be cheesed with Xander. 

So, what have we learned today? If you use interesting mechanics to deliver fair challenges, you'll be deemed ''unfair'', but if you make it without anything then you'll be blasted for being ''too easy'', damned if you do, damned if you don't.

TLDR: these things are told to you before the enemy can use them, that's plenty fair and if the game didn't have these things then it would be as easy as Birthright, Fates will never catch a break.