The Official "I don't watch anime" Thread

14 minutes ago, pong said:

I watched A:TLA. That's anime, right?

Nah, I don't think so. Like, lots of people kinda consider it to be, but as far as I know saying anime is basically the same as japanese animation (or a japanese cartoon, pls don't kill me for calling anime a cartoon), and since A:TLA is not japanse then its not anime.

But if you consider it to be then you shouldn't worry, about half of the people you find on the internet won't ever correct you or will even agree with you, there's lot of people that consider anime to be basically any cartoon that has an "animesque" art style or a plot inspired in anime. I've seen people, calling Miraculous, Wakful, Voltron, Teen Titans, RWBY,  HiHiPuffyAmyYumi, the Thunder Cats or even Generator Rex as animes, actually probably most people will consider at least one of these to be an anime even if none is from japan(I, for example, for most of my life considered the Teen Titans as an anime and would never correct anyone that said otherwise, even now that I know that its not an actual anime, I don't even care about it, for me its basically an "american anime" idk if it sounds kinda stupid to say? Or the ThunderCats, it was animated in japan but produced and voiced in america, so is it an anime, by the literal meaning of "made in japan"?Because it kinda was but not totally, also HiHiPuffyAmyYumi is considered by a lot of people as anime too because the show its about a real J-pop duo), so you know, when you it comes to western cartoons, you basically call what you want as an anime, even if "anime" is by definition a japansese animation. If you happen to say this in a random site someday you will see the world burn, because some people consider cartoons like A:TLA to be anime for sure while others consider it to be a western cartoon for sure, so pick your side on the war I guess? For me its not anime (for the reasons I said) but you do you my friend.

34 minutes ago, pong said:

Well, as far as I understand, Anime has to be a Japanese cartoon, right?  In that case, A:TLA (Avatar: the Last Airbender, yes? That was a good show!) isn't Anime, but simply an animated American show with vaguely Asian-themes.  (Also, shoot! ARMADS!!! beat me to the punch.)

2 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

You may not watch anime, but you play it :^)

I'll tolerate FE's Anime-ness due to my love of the series.

Also, I generally dislike Anime, due to various problems. (Pandering, over use of tropes, questionable quality, Japan's apparent obsession with lolis, etc.)

1 hour ago, pong said:

Not really. The most obvious reason people would point out is that it isn't Japanese, but, even if we just talk about the animation style, it's a deliberate mix of anime and western cartoon animation, unlike something like Castlevania which is a deliberate attempt at emulating anime.

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

…Okay. Is this thread for discussion about not watching anime, or is this just a joke about all the "official [insert anime title here]" threads that have been popping up?

A little bit of both.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Hello.

Hey friend. How's it going? Enjoying the No Anime lifestyle?

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Enjoying the No Anime lifestyle?

Perhaps, I cannot judge anime if I've never watched it.

4 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I don't blame you. 

Well, I am interested in watching some, (Jojo's confuses me, but sounds interesting, I think) but I dunno how to watch anime, or where I'd find the time for it.

8 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Nah, I don't think so. Like, lots of people kinda consider it to be, but as far as I know saying anime is basically the same as japanese animation (or a japanese cartoon, pls don't kill me for calling anime a cartoon), and since A:TLA is not japanse then its not anime.

But if you consider it to be then you shouldn't worry, about half of the people you find on the internet won't ever correct you or will even agree with you, there's lot of people that consider anime to be basically any cartoon that has an "animesque" art style or a plot inspired in anime. I've seen people, calling Miraculous, Wakful, Voltron, Teen Titans, 

This discussion AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I get how the definition of anime just being japanese animation is lame, but I blame that on the definition of the word deciding to just be "country + medium = thing" as if that really says anything about it at all, it's like if we made a specific word for German food instead of just calling it German food, implying that the word means literally anything other than the fact that it is just saying something came from somewhere. Animation being made in Japan doesn't make it special or anything, Japanese animation is just as diverse as animation is anywhere else on earth, so trying to genrify everthing just because it came from a certain place is, in my opinion, pretty stupid.

However, I don't think there is any way you can define "anime style," anime has a diverse range of styles, and nobody would ever say any cartoon from japan is not anime, yet for some reason not-japanese things have the debate as to whether they can be anime or not. Something like Kaiba does not fit the colloquial meaning of the word "anime," yet by definition it is anime. So, I think the word is both kind of meaningless in its definition and also that the word outside of its technical definition doesn't mean anything other than what non-Japanese people just "feel" like is anime, I've yet to see anyone define what "anime style" is, because trying to condense things from an entire country as if it's a genre is just nonsensical. Overall, I think we should just call everything cartoons, that would make more sense and involve less pointless semantic discussions

There as a point where I wouldn't really watch anime, I only watched a few of them throughout my years. But as of now, I have watched some here and there, and I started watching Naruto like two months ago.

I feel like some people still have that stigma towards anime, and I really don't agree or relate to that anymore. I used to somewhat feel that if I said I do like anime, but it's just partly that I never grew into a habit of watching them.

1 hour ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I feel like some people still have that stigma towards anime, and I really don't agree or relate to that anymore. I used to somewhat feel that if I said I do like anime, but it's just partly that I never grew into a habit of watching them.

I feel like there is a common misconception from most people that anime is a genre or something because most people only know about naruto or Sword Art Online or whatever. There's plenty of things not like those, in fact there's anime for basically every demographic, you just never hear about most of these outside of Japan. (though I guess many of these things are niche in Japan also).