The Official "I don't watch anime" Thread

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, I am interested in watching some, (Jojo's confuses me, but sounds interesting, I think) but I dunno how to watch anime, or where I'd find the time for it.

I'm still somewhat new to anime, so I can only really say how I started watching anime and hope it helps:

I was recommended a couple shows by some acquaintances (the shows being One-Punch Man and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), so I looked to see if they were available on any of the streaming services that I already had, and they were; they're both on Netflix. After that, I began looking for more to watch, and after being recommended a number of anime that weren't available on more generalized streaming services, I began looking at anime-specific streaming services such as crunchyroll and funimation to see if they had the anime I was looking for. And... yeah; that's basically it.

So, basically, what I'd say is to start by looking to see if you have access to any anime that you're interested in on anything that you already have and, if you don't, look at anime streaming services. I don't know if this is the best advice, but it's the best advice that I can give.

As for finding the time to watch them... yeah; I can't really help with that.

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I don't know if this is the best advice, but it's the best advice that I can give.

No no, I really do appreciate it! I know absolutely nothing, so all advice is helpful.

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

As for finding the time to watch them... yeah; I can't really help with that.

Well, theoretically, I don't have a time limit to watch anime; at some point, I'm sure I'll be able to browse some options.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

No no, I really do appreciate it! I know absolutely nothing, so all advice is helpful.

Well, theoretically, I don't have a time limit to watch anime; at some point, I'm sure I'll be able to browse some options.

Okay then. I hope my advice does help. I can also recommend some anime that are good for starting to watch anime.

3 hours ago, MuteMousou said:

I feel like there is a common misconception from most people that anime is a genre or something because most people only know about naruto or Sword Art Online or whatever. There's plenty of things not like those, in fact there's anime for basically every demographic, you just never hear about most of these outside of Japan. (though I guess many of these things are niche in Japan also).

I'm talking more about the negative connotations, like watching anime suddenly makes you a weirdo that watches hentai every day and is in a filthy room filled with anime girl figurines and posters.

4 minutes ago, ♠Soul♠ said:

I'm talking more about the negative connotations, like watching anime suddenly makes you a weirdo that watches hentai every day and is in a filthy room filled with anime girl figurines and posters.

What I was talking about is connected to that because everyone assumes anime is a genre and thinks they are all Naruto or fanservice or something.

Yo. Anime's not my thing either. I have  some appreciation for it, particularly Death Note and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I can tolerate a good much of it. But as a whole, I simply consume very little anime and don't foresee that changing soon.

Inb4 gatekeppers get hysterical over considering ATLA anime.

17 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

I personally love being called a fake weeb, it makes me feel whole.

Fake weeb.

16 hours ago, Benice said:

I cannot judge anime if I've never watched it.

Aw dang. That's pretty deep.

1 hour ago, ANDREW BENINTENDO said:

Yo. Anime's not my thing either. I have  some appreciation for it, particularly Death Note and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I can tolerate a good much of it. But as a whole, I simply consume very little anime and don't foresee that changing soon.

Inb4 gatekeppers get hysterical over considering ATLA anime.

I honestly don't get all the hype around Death Note.

Welcome to the club though, good to have you.

18 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, I am interested in watching some, (Jojo's confuses me, but sounds interesting, I think) but I dunno how to watch anime, or where I'd find the time for it.

Netflix and Crunchyroll are your best bet to find anime legally. As for time, you're on your own there.

JJBA isn't too confusing starting out, but it's not something I'd recommend starting out with as a first timer (but if it interests you enough, you can totally start with it). If you do get into it, start at Part 1. It might be a little boring at first, but it'll all be worth it once you get to Part 2. Trust me on that.

As for something to start with, Fullmetal Alchemist is easily the best anime for beginners. There are two versions; 2003 and Brotherhood. The latter follows the manga and the former diverges into its own narrative after a little while (it began its run when the original manga was still being published). I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a soft spot for 2003, but Brotherhood is arguably the better of the two if you wanna get into anime. 

If you ever want something older to look into, I'd recommend FMA 2003 and Initial D.

I don't really watch anime any more. I used to in the past, but in the last few years I've found little of interest. Last one I really tried to get into was Jojos and that was mostly due to people on Serenes mistakenly thinking my user name was a reference to the show. There is a new Digimon out though, so I might give that a chance some time, provided an English dub surfaces.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Western Cartoons* > Anime

*As long as it's nothing by Seth McFarlane.

That's essentially saying "as long as the primary audience isn't aimed at adults." Things are, thankfully, changing for the better, but it's irritated me to no end that the western animation industry has been convinced adults would never watch a cartoon unless it was marketed as a comedy. I think the pinnacle of this is the show I'm finishing off right now, Final Space. I dont know what form its original material takes, but it comes across as a show that desperately and obviously wants to be a serious space opera, but because it's a cartoon aimed outside of the child demography it's forced to present itself as a comedy which really brings it down.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

Western Cartoons* > Anime

*As long as it's nothing by Seth McFarlane.

That's funny, because I think Family Guy is the only thing worth watching nowadays. v:

• 3 weeks later...

I've never watch any ani...

maxresdefault.jpg

Never mind. I stand corrected.

Jokes aside, I did have a pretty huge anime phase around 2008-2010, watching Galaxy Angel and a few other anime series. Nowadays, I mostly just watch short clips of it on youtube, with Komi-San Can't Communicate being the main series I watch youtube clips of. And if you count it (which I don't), High Guardian Spice bashing/critiquing/review videos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Most of the "anime" I engage with is just in games anymore.

I can barely be bothered to watch a show or read something over gaming in my limited free time, so that leaves me with my animu JRPG backlog. :')

I do have some favorite anime I've watched and manga I've read, and some that I'd still like to watch/read, but it's just not something that's a priority for me overall.