Create a class (and promotion maybe) from a IRL job or hobby

Oops! All OCs

Thought this would be super fun, since I had designed an entire Bravely Default job based off of a mere car wash worker. I'll go first:

--------------------

-Gamer

A lover of video games. Has high Skill and high Res, but weak in Spd.

Uses swords and bows.

Skills
-Adaptation: Every time you miss an attack, gain +10% Hit for the entire battle. Max is +50% Hit. (Learnt at level 5)

-Counterattack: Gain temporary stat buffs in player phase depending on attacks survived in enemy phase (Example: +1 Str per physical attack withstood or dodged) (Learnt at level 15)

Promotion: -Pro Gamer

A gamer who took their beloved hobby to the next level. Has soaring Skill and extremely high Res.

Uses swords and all ranged weapon types.

Skills

-Prediction: Chance to dodge an attack that would hit, or land an attack that would miss. Trigger: Skill + Spd divided by 3 (Learnt at level 5)
-Overclock: Increase all stat caps by 10. (Learnt at level 15)

------------------

What are your thoughts? 😛

EDIT: Feel free to make your class a joke class or more detailed, "serious" class. Or make it about any game. My idea was a more detailed serious one focused on Fates, but you can write whatever you wish. 😄

Edited by Oops! All OCs

It would probably help if you mentioned if the classes should be built with a particular game in mind, so that we know about the weapon types and spells and such available. It would probably also help if you mentioned whether this topic is meant for serious, genuine ideas for classes, or if it's meant for comedy (i.e. come up with the funniest idea you can think of for an FE character class based on a real-life job/hobby).

On 12/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, Oops! All OCs said:

I'm beginning to wonder if my topics are bad, since nobody seems to want to respond...

Naw its a fine topic, I think things are just a bit quiet around here right now.

Now onto the topic at hand, lets go with a very jokey class set (In a Fates style I guess)

Reader:

Wields Tomes (including Dark Magic tomes)

Skills:

Reading Time: Gain +4 magic and +4 resistance when you use the wait command.

Book Club: gain +5 hit and Crit when adjacent to an ally equipped with a Tome.

Promotes to either Sorcerer (because I am too lazy to make 2 promoted classes) or:

Book Wyrm:

Wields Tomes and Dragon Stones

Skills:

Mage Dragon: Can Counter at 2 range with Dragon Stones Equipped.

Flights of Fancy: Gain flight

On 12/4/2021 at 7:55 PM, vanguard333 said:

It would probably help if you mentioned if the classes should be built with a particular game in mind, so that we know about the weapon types and spells and such available. It would probably also help if you mentioned whether this topic is meant for serious, genuine ideas for classes, or if it's meant for comedy (i.e. come up with the funniest idea you can think of for an FE character class based on a real-life job/hobby).

That's what stopping people from replying? I'd have hoped someone would have asked at that but okay, I'll edit it and see if that helps things. (it's probably the quietness too but y'know)

Edited by Oops! All OCs

1 hour ago, Oops! All OCs said:

That's what stopping people from replying? I'd have hoped someone would have asked at that but okay, I'll edit it and see if that helps things. (it's probably the quietness too but y'know)

I don't know what's stopping people from replying; I was just suggesting stuff that I thought could help. It more than likely is the quietness.

Guard of The Colors (Focused on HP, Skill, and Def)

Wields: Bolt Action Rifle (Fake)

Skills:

Unbreakable Bearing: When this unit uses the wait command gain +3 Defense and +3 Resistance 

Unimpeded March: This unit cannot be negatively affected by terrain

Master of The Colors (Promo) (Focused on HP, Skill, and Def)

Wields: Bolt Action Rifle (Fake) and Flags

Skills:

Guarded Colors: When this unit is between two or more units it gains +3 Atk, +3 Def, and +3 Res

Rally Colors: When the "Rally" command is used, units nearby gain +20 critical rate 

Officer of The Colors (Promo) (Focused on Spd, Skill, and HP)

Wields: Swords and Flags

Skills:

Inspiring Command: Units adjacent to this unit gain +1 to all stats and +5 to critical rate 

Leading By Example: When this unit damages an enemy unit, that enemy takes +3 damage from any other ally this turn

These classes are based on military color guards if anybody has trouble understanding. 

These classes would fit into the Fates system:

Servant

Description: A domestic servant who serves up hot tea and sharp daggers with equal aplomb.

Wields: Knives (B)

Promotes to: Maid/Butler, Chef

Lv. 1 Skill: That's the Tea: Restores up to 20% HP to all adjacent allies upon ending this unit's movement. 

Lv. 10 Skill: Hidden Help: Cannot be targeted by the enemy while adjacent to a higher-level ally.

Chef

Description: An experienced servant who uses knives and magic to deliver dishes most delicious.

Wields: Knives (A), Tomes (B)

Promotes from: Servant

Lv. 5 Skill: Battlefield Banquet: Doubles the mess hall modifications of all on-field allies.

Lv. 15 Skill: Secret Ingredient: Grants immunity from enemy-inflicted debuffs to all adjacent allies.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

These classes would fit into the Fates system:

Servant

Description: A domestic servant who serves up hot tea and sharp daggers with equal aplomb.

Wields: Knives (B)

Promotes to: Maid/Butler, Chef

Lv. 1 Skill: That's the Tea: Restores up to 20% HP to all adjacent allies upon ending this unit's movement. 

Lv. 10 Skill: Hidden Help: Cannot be targeted by the enemy while adjacent to a higher-level ally.

Chef

Description: An experienced servant who uses knives and magic to deliver dishes most delicious.

Wields: Knives (A), Tomes (B)

Promotes from: Servant

Lv. 5 Skill: Battlefield Banquet: Doubles the mess hall modifications of all on-field allies.

Lv. 15 Skill: Secret Ingredient: Grants immunity from enemy-inflicted debuffs to all adjacent allies.

That would make way more sense than what they went with. Namely by making the aesthetic something you can give Jakob and Felicia at tier 1 without the whole weird troubadour promoting to maid thing (which really messes with Dwyer too, as he's obviously designed as a butler but always comes as a troubadour). Though on the other hand, Jacob and Felicia's situatuon is weird,  but that also makes it interesting too, so that would be lost if we had a more expected class progression for maid/butler.

And chef could be downright funny. Though a bit too weird to be a normal class. I'd dig it as some kind of dlc or bonus class though.

Bookkeeper

Weapons: Staves

Growths: 30%HP, 5% STR, 10%SKL, 10%SPD, 20%LCK, 10%DEF, 35%RES

Skills:

Elaborate: Increase attack range of an allied tome/staff unit by 2. Upon promotion range = 4. Lasts one turn. 

Yikes: Increase own Mov by 6 this turn. Must be chosen before any other command. Cannot select any command after Mov. Cannot move next turn and all stats are -4 for 1 turn.

Librarian

Growths: 40%HP,  30%SKL, 20%, LCK, 10%DEF, 40%RES

Skills:

Critical Examination: Increase an allied tome units Hit by 40 and Crit by 20. 

The oldest tablet: All commands (except Yikes) become rallies with 25% effects but affecting all allies within 3 tiles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheery Lad/Lass

Weapons: None

Growths: 40%HP,  20%SPD, 40%LCK, 5%DEF, 5%RES

You got this: Increase an allies Hit/Crit by +20 for 1 turn.

Not to worry: Increase an allies Hit/Crit Avoid by +30 for 1 turn. 

Loud Voice: Commands gain +2 range. Unit can use remaining mov after using a command.

Xtreme Cheering: All commands increase target allies damage by +10 and DEF/RES by +10 and refresh target ally. If the same unit is target the next turn, they lose all Mov and cannot counterattack.

Edited by Imuabicus

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

That would make way more sense than what they went with. Namely by making the aesthetic something you can give Jakob and Felicia at tier 1 without the whole weird troubadour promoting to maid thing (which really messes with Dwyer too, as he's obviously designed as a butler but always comes as a troubadour). Though on the other hand, Jacob and Felicia's situatuon is weird,  but that also makes it interesting too, so that would be lost if we had a more expected class progression for maid/butler.

And chef could be downright funny. Though a bit too weird to be a normal class. I'd dig it as some kind of dlc or bonus class though.

Thanks! I'm not strictly opposed to "Troubadour -> Maid/Butler", since Valkyrie is the only promoted mounted class with staves. But it's a clear case where one promotion makes more stylistic sense than the other. I wouldn't necessarily change the pseudo-prepromote thing Jakob and Felicia have going, but maybe Jakob (and Dwyer) could switch their "base class" to Servant.

Anyway, the one thing Nohr seemed to be missing was a first-tier Knife class. And Knives/Tomes is one of the combinations that doesn't yet exist in any class. Functionally, I see this class as being more support-oriented, with little offensive output of their own, but the ability to debuff and otherwise provide support. I could see them as particularly troubling in enemy hands - say there's one next to a higher-level boss. If they have "Hidden Help", you can't target them, while their other skills heal the boss and prevent you from debuffing them.

As for Chef, yeah it's a strange class, but Fates was the game to introduce Maids and Butlers and said "this is okay. This is a good stylistic direction for the series."

5 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Bookkeeper

Growths: 30%HP, 5% STR, 10%SKL, 10%SPD, 20%LCK, 10%DEF, 35%RES

Skills:

Elaborate: Increase attack range of an allied tome/staff unit by 2. Upon promotion range = 4. Lasts one turn. 

Yikes: Increase own Mov by 6 this turn. Must be chosen before any other command. Cannot select any command after Mov. Cannot move next turn and all stats are -4 for 1 turn.

I like the notion of these support classes! A Librarian who can buff other tome-oriented units is pretty cool. I do think it'd make sense for at least the promoted version to wield tomes - who's heard of a librarian without books of their own?

23 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Thanks! I'm not strictly opposed to "Troubadour -> Maid/Butler", since Valkyrie is the only promoted mounted class with staves. But it's a clear case where one promotion makes more stylistic sense than the other. I wouldn't necessarily change the pseudo-prepromote thing Jakob and Felicia have going, but maybe Jakob (and Dwyer) could switch their "base class" to Servant.

Yes, Troubadour -> Maid/Butler isn't inherently bad, as we've already had Troubadour -> Battle Cleric (though if the two were disconnected entirely we could have had a sword and tome variations of Valkyrie since they've been both throughout the series and Fates is pretty into its hybrid classes). What's weird is that Troubadour is the only class path to Maid/Butler, and it's aesthetically nothing like them. Troubadour already has a pretty "natural" promotion into Valkyrie leaving Maid/Butler feeling like it was tacked on to Troubadour because it just needed to be somewhere in the regular class hierarchy (probably so we can get Maid Byleth, since really it could have been an exclusive class for three actual first gen Maid/Butlers, Dwyer isn't important, an easy path to Maid Elise was also, no doubt, on their minds). Or, in other words, Troubadour -> Maid/Butler wouldn't be all that weird if something else also went to Maid/Butler, especially for Dwyer's case.

There really wouldn't be much point in promoting from a promoted class to a base version of the class for such a character though. It'd just result in less stats and loss of off healing for...well basically nothing assuming Maid/Butler get Servant skills and not Troubadour skills (I don't think they even can class change into Troubadour in the current game, can they?).

23 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Anyway, the one thing Nohr seemed to be missing was a first-tier Knife class. And Knives/Tomes is one of the combinations that doesn't yet exist in any class. Functionally, I see this class as being more support-oriented, with little offensive output of their own, but the ability to debuff and otherwise provide support. I could see them as particularly troubling in enemy hands - say there's one next to a higher-level boss. If they have "Hidden Help", you can't target them, while their other skills heal the boss and prevent you from debuffing them.

As for Chef, yeah it's a strange class, but Fates was the game to introduce Maids and Butlers and said "this is okay. This is a good stylistic direction for the series."

Touche. And I have to say, conceptually, Knives and Tomes fit a chef class very well. What with knives being a kitchen weapon and cook books being a thing. It's stupid, but I like it, I like it a lot.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

There really wouldn't be much point in promoting from a promoted class to a base version of the class for such a character though. It'd just result in less stats and loss of off healing for...well basically nothing assuming Maid/Butler get Servant skills and not Troubadour skills (I don't think they even can class change into Troubadour in the current game, can they?).

So to be clear, I'm not saying "Jakob should be able to reclass to Servant", but rather that "Jakob's base class would be Servant, and he would come with the associated skills". Conceivably, you could do the same with Felicia and Flora, although doing so would leave you with no Troubadour or Valkyrie options in Birthright. And in Conquest, the line would become much scarcer, with only Elise and Forrest representing it.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Touche. And I have to say, conceptually, Knives and Tomes fit a chef class very well. What with knives being a kitchen weapon and cook books being a thing. It's stupid, but I like it, I like it a lot.

TBH I wasn't even thinking of "Chefs use cookbooks", but the much simpler "Chefs use fire". Your rationale is better, though.

5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I do think it'd make sense for at least the promoted version to wield tomes - who's heard of a librarian without books of their own?

... well yeah, but I thought it like a "every mage has a book, but not everyone who has books is a mage" kinda deal - I´m thinking they get an innate action called "Bonk" that uses Str and pushes an enemy 1 tile away or stuns them.

Hence the 5% Str growth on Bookkeeper - they drag them around but can´t use them and they are only books, so not much Str is nessecary.

16 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

So to be clear, I'm not saying "Jakob should be able to reclass to Servant", but rather that "Jakob's base class would be Servant, and he would come with the associated skills". Conceivably, you could do the same with Felicia and Flora, although doing so would leave you with no Troubadour or Valkyrie options in Birthright. And in Conquest, the line would become much scarcer, with only Elise and Forrest representing it.

Well that's what I initially assumed. But if they come as Servants then you do i lose their weird psudeo promoted status where they level like tier 1 units but get classes of tier 2 units.

1 minute ago, Imuabicus said:

... well yeah, but I thought it like a "every mage has a book, but not everyone who has books is a mage" kinda deal - I´m thinking they get an innate action called "Bonk" that uses Str and pushes an enemy 1 tile away or stuns them.

Hence the 5% Str growth on Bookkeeper - they drag them around but can´t use them and they are only books, so not much Str is nessecary.

Maybe an Ophelia effect where the strength of bonk depends on how many tomes they're carrying? It'd be a pretty big waste of tomes, but, well, most players will probably have a lot to spare anyway.

Edited by Jotari

17 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

That's an interesting concept. The series has waffled between "being able to use magic is a rare skill that only certain people innately possess" and "with the right training, anyone can wield magic - some are just more inclined than others". In some cases (i.e. the DS games with full reclassing), you can have the former in-narrative and the latter in-gameplay. So the notion of a Librarian class seems to lean into the former paradigm.

I do like the idea of a physical attack with tomes. Maybe high-weight tomes could do more damage (i.e. Wt as a stand-in for Mt)?

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well that's what I initially assumed. But if they come as Servants then you do i lose their weird psudeo promoted status where they level like tier 1 units but get classes of tier 2 units.

Apparently I was still being ambiguous. When I said "Jakob's base class would be Servant", I meant in the same sense that one might say "Xander's base class is Cavalier". His actual joining class would still be Butler, but the Servant class would inform his starting skills and reclass options (Chef, rather than Strategist).

And I'm just now realizing that I called Fates' Strategist "Valkyrie" upthread. I can get renaming the class (no gender-locks), but did they have to choose something both super-generic and reminiscent of Robin's base class?

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo.

40 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Apparently I was still being ambiguous. When I said "Jakob's base class would be Servant", I meant in the same sense that one might say "Xander's base class is Cavalier". His actual joining class would still be Butler, but the Servant class would inform his starting skills and reclass options (Chef, rather than Strategist).

And I'm just now realizing that I called Fates' Strategist "Valkyrie" upthread. I can get renaming the class (no gender-locks), but did they have to choose something both super-generic and reminiscent of Robin's base class?

Honestly I'd have no issue at all with them keeping the name Valkyrie and removing the gender lock. When you have classes as random as myrmidon and as generic as fighter, such things seem irrelevant. As it is, the Valkyrie's base class, Troubadour, manages to be random, nonindicative, inaccurate and misgendered!

Edited by Jotari

Since we are using Combat Arts and those require a whole lot of durability we need a...

Blacksmith

Weapons: Swords, Axes, Lances 

Growths: HP30%, STR20%, SKL30%, LCK10%, DEF15%, RES15%

Skills:

Emergency Repair: Restore 5 durabilty to any non-Regalia weapon. Can only be used 8 times.

Improve Weapon: Target ally with weapon eqipped. This weapon deals +6 damage, Hit+10, Crit+10 and effective damage is improved to x4 (*presuming it´s x3; if x2 -> x3). Does not stack.

Upgrades: If targeted ally has a shield equipped: Double it´s DEF/RES and reduce weigth by x. (Dunno how much x would need to be to be good)

Hostile Craftsmanship: Reduce an enemies DEF  to 0. Their equipped weapon acts as if broken for 1 turn. 

Edited by Imuabicus

Gardener
High speed and Skill, Low Strength and defense, middling resistance, luck and HP

uses: dagger weapons (adds shears as a dagger weapon)

[L1 skill] Innocuous: while standing on a forest tile, gain shroud effects.

[L10 skill] Improved greenery: if you take the wait action on a forest/grassland tile, give it +10 avo and +1 def for allies

Promotes to Landscaper/Botanist

Landscaper

Balances the Str and Def deficiencies, but doesn't specialize 

uses: daggers/axe

[L5 skill] Terrain knowledge: Can walk normally on forests and mountains. Occupied tile does not count as difficult terrain for allies.

[L15 skill] Fortifications: Take the fortify action to improve the avo and def ratings of any adjacent tile (+15/+2, does not stack with itself but can stack with improved greenery)

Botanist

Doubles down on speed and skill, increases resistance and luck

uses: daggers/tomes (would use the theme of Brynhildr for a new tome type)

[L5 skill] Inexplicable growth: you can grow a forest on an adjacent tile. Works indoors.

[L15 skill] Might of the wild: gain str/mag +5 while standing on a forest tile.

Edited by Lorneus

On 12/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, Oops! All OCs said:

Thought this would be super fun, since I had designed an entire Bravely Default job based off of a mere car wash worker. I'll go first:

--------------------

-Gamer

A lover of video games. Has high Skill and high Res, but weak in Spd.

Uses swords and bows.

Skills
-Adaptation: Every time you miss an attack, gain +10% Hit for the entire battle. Max is +50% Hit. (Learnt at level 5)

-Counterattack: Gain temporary stat buffs in player phase depending on attacks survived in enemy phase (Example: +1 Str per physical attack withstood or dodged) (Learnt at level 15)

Promotion: -Pro Gamer

A gamer who took their beloved hobby to the next level. Has soaring Skill and extremely high Res.

Uses swords and all ranged weapon types.

Skills

-Prediction: Chance to dodge an attack that would hit, or land an attack that would miss. Trigger: Skill + Spd divided by 3 (Learnt at level 5)
-Overclock: Increase all stat caps by 10. (Learnt at level 15)

------------------

What are your thoughts? 😛

EDIT: Feel free to make your class a joke class or more detailed, "serious" class. Or make it about any game. My idea was a more detailed serious one focused on Fates, but you can write whatever you wish. 😄

To follow up on this idea, I had 2 new ideas for skills for Gamer/Pro Gamer:

1. Counterplay: If unit is at full HP and foe initiates combat that would result in a kill (according to the combat forecast), unit strikes first and can counter from any range.
2. Perfect Parry: When any attack lands, unit has a chance to nullify that attack and apply Mov 0 + Avo -20 for 1 turn. Trigger % = (Skill divided by 2)

Edited by Oops! All OCs

Jester

A court official who hides criticism behind humor and daggers behind their back.

The Jester is a tier one knife-wielding class. Compared to thieves/ninjas, they have remarkably high strength and HP, but their speed is mediocre. Promotes to Clown or Exile.

Level 1 Skill: Odd Humor, +15 avoid on odd-numbered turns.

Level 10 Skill: Courtier, +10 avoid and +10 critical avoid to units of lesser or equal movement within 2 tiles.

Exile

A brigand or jester whose ways have offended the wrong people. Survives by strength and subversion.

Wielding knives and axes, the Outcast is equipped to provide combat support or get involved in the fight more...directly.

Level 5 Skill: Scavenger, unit heals 6 HP after combat they initiate.

Level 15 Skill: Intimidation, inflicts -4 Strength/Defense on enemies within 3 tiles after defeating an enemy.

Clown

Honk. You're living in his world, bub. Get used to it.

The clown is a knife wielding class that can also use swords. They have a strange tendency to ride into battle balancing on balls or unicycles.

Level 5 Skill: Juggler, unit gains +3 skill/luck when using knives.

Level 15 Skill: Party Trick, causes a random rally effect affect after combat this unit initiates.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 2:59 AM, Imuabicus said:

Since we are using Combat Arts and those require a whole lot of durability we need a...

Blacksmith

Weapons: Swords, Axes, Lances 

Growths: HP30%, STR20%, SKL30%, LCK10%, DEF15%, RES15%

Skills:

Emergency Repair: Restore 5 durabilty to any non-Regalia weapon. Can only be used 8 times.

Improve Weapon: Target ally with weapon eqipped. This weapon deals +6 damage, Hit+10, Crit+10 and effective damage is improved to x4 (*presuming it´s x3; if x2 -> x3). Does not stack.

Upgrades: If targeted ally has a shield equipped: Double it´s DEF/RES and reduce weigth by x. (Dunno how much x would need to be to be good)

Hostile Craftsmanship: Reduce an enemies DEF  to 0. Their equipped weapon acts as if broken for 1 turn. 

I like the idea of bringing back Blacksmith, and having the class interact with durability! Here's a thought - what if, when the (non-skirmish) map ends, the weapons in the Blacksmith's inventory are totally refreshed? It could encourage some trade shenanigans, as you try to get low-durability weapons over to the Blacksmith before the map ends.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Level 10 Skill: Courtier, +10 avoid and +10 critical avoid to units of lesser or equal movement within 2 tiles.

Just to check, Jester is an infantry class, right? So, this would apply to armors and other infantry, but not mounted units?

On 12/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

The clown is a knife wielding class that can also use swords. They have a strange tendency to ride into battle balancing on balls or unicycles.

Clown should be able to use the rest of their movement after attacking, by turning around on their unicycle. Calling it "Clownto".

9 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Here's a thought - what if, when the (non-skirmish) map ends, the weapons in the Blacksmith's inventory are totally refreshed?

Hm, but what about the overall... I guess game economy? I´d also say it would have to be a unique class, maybe with an apprentice version of it, as in every other case the player has practically infinite weapons, without Fates-style drawbacks.

Also exclude weapons of high status - relics etc. 

I like the idea of bringing back Blacksmith, and having the class interact with durability! Here's a thought - what if, when the (non-skirmish) map ends, the weapons in the Blacksmith's inventory are totally refreshed? It could encourage some trade shenanigans, as you try to get low-durability weapons over to the Blacksmith before the map ends.

15 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

Hm, but what about the overall... I guess game economy? I´d also say it would have to be a unique class, maybe with an apprentice version of it, as in every other case the player has practically infinite weapons, without Fates-style drawbacks.

How about having the Blacksmith refresh weapons in their inventory at the start of the map instead? This way you can more easily change what you repair if you change your mind, gives you a little more flexibility. If you wanted to restrict it a little more so that they don't infinitely repair relics, you could only have the equipped weapon be repaired. One advantage of this is that a Blacksmith needs higher weapon ranks to repair higher-quality weapons- in other words, they must become more skilled for more difficult tasks. However, this comes with the disadvantage of not letting them repair bows, for instance.

Just to check, Jester is an infantry class, right? So, this would apply to armors and other infantry, but not mounted units?

Clown should be able to use the rest of their movement after attacking, by turning around on their unicycle. Calling it "Clownto".

Correct. The idea was...I forgot what the idea was, actually. Something something he only buffs the lord.

Oh my. Yes. I love this idea. Furthermore, I am of the opinion that "Clownto" should have some weird additional effect (perhaps not strictly advantageous or disadvantageous) to make is weirder and clownier than normal canto. Such as being unable to stay in the same tile, having to move in an L-shape, or some other restriction, but perhaps having additional movement which only applies after the fact. I don't know, something fancy.

37 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

True enough. Maybe it could only be a partial refreshment, say of 5 per weapon? Or...

16 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

How about having the Blacksmith refresh weapons in their inventory at the start of the map instead? This way you can more easily change what you repair if you change your mind, gives you a little more flexibility. If you wanted to restrict it a little more so that they don't infinitely repair relics, you could only have the equipped weapon be repaired. One advantage of this is that a Blacksmith needs higher weapon ranks to repair higher-quality weapons- in other words, they must become more skilled for more difficult tasks. However, this comes with the disadvantage of not letting them repair bows, for instance.

Limiting it just to the equiped weapon could work. Originally I said "end of map" to make it something the player has to keep in mind, and make an effort with trade strats. But "beginning of map" would be more player-friendly.

18 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Correct. The idea was...I forgot what the idea was, actually. Something something he only buffs the lord.

Oh my. Yes. I love this idea. Furthermore, I am of the opinion that "Clownto" should have some weird additional effect (perhaps not strictly advantageous or disadvantageous) to make is weirder and clownier than normal canto. Such as being unable to stay in the same tile, having to move in an L-shape, or some other restriction, but perhaps having additional movement which only applies after the fact. I don't know, something fancy

Thanks! Hm... what if terrain costs were upended in the "Clownto" phase? Say, ordinary Plains cost 3 move to get through, but Forests and Mountains each cost a breezy 1. So it could hurt or help, depending on map characteristics.