Book VI Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might as well. :)

I will say I'm intrigued. I'm iffy on Ash as she's pressing all the wrong buttons for me so far, but Veronica and Letizia intrigue me. Going inside Embla has been a long time coming.

I'm hoping for a more focused plot. The last 2 Books tried bringing in too much (with Jotunheimr basically an afterthought). This being focused squarely on Askr vs. Embla should hopefully result in a more focused book, something we haven't seen since Book 3 (which is still my favorite book to date).

The bad:  Ash is another free female OC.  Elm's design (I never liked the "feminine looking male" character design).  Guess they wanted to make up for Nott and Dagr (I never liked muscular women visually either.  They tend to look tacky).

The Ugly: They brought the cow fetish to FEH.  Fetish artists are going to have a field day.

Edit: Just remembered that Camilla hasn't gotten a resplendent yet.  They're not going to make "Cowmilla" an actual thing, will they?  I pray not.

The Good:  Priam, Basillio, and Flavia are in the game.  Priam in particular was the only character left from Awakening I really wanted.

Edit: Shame on me, I forgot Gregor.  He also would've been great to have.

Edited by FailWood

Ash immediately sucks and I will not be convinced otherwise. That whole fall/blush/clumsy girl sequence was just...just awful.

I have zero faith in Heroes to have a good story, but I do hope they defy my expectations and do something good with Veronica and Embla. If they can push out something worthwhile with that, then I can forgive maybe a little, teeny-tiny bit of the garbage Heroes has given us for the last two books.

Wow okay, so... I have a lot to say here. First, we actually got a holy cow. Wow. Second, BATS! YUS! I was hoping for a bat transformation unit! Yaaay! Also, totally thought Elm was a girl at first. Also, I guess we're naming stuff after trees now. (Ash and Elm are two kinds of trees. Not that this doesn't tie into Nordic folklore, but...) But yeah, when I first saw Askr's symbol and Embla's incorporated into that art...yeah. Okay, there's just so much to react to. (For the curious, Embla's knot is in the border surrounding the overall artwork, and Askr's is the one above the gate.) Totally symbolic there. Also, it's cool that Embla and Askr were defined a bit more. Like, Embla being the god of barriers (Emblian royals can close gates) and broken bonds (forcing heroes to submit to contracts they don't want to in Book 1), being directly opposed to Askr (we can summon heroes, creating bonds, and the Askran royals create gates to other worlds.) The gal falling from the sky was definitely an Askr hint. (FEH Askr is a wind deity.) But does this mean Askr is male? I believe Feh called Ash "an attendant to the god Askr." That said, they've called goddesses "gods" before, so I dunno. Elm is definitely making Veronica fight Askr again, though. So glad they're going back to this plot point! (But why is the land-bound animal serving the wind god and why is the flying animal serving the earth god?) Also, now that they've built up Alfonse and Veronica's relationship (not saying it's romantic, just that they have an established friendship/are allies at least) now is a good time to revisit this Emblian bloodline curse plot. This is especially since Embla is probably not to happy with his/her children getting all buddy-buddy with the Askran royals. This is probably why Veronica's female relative is making her move, maybe having beseeched Embla, told on Veronica (especially, but also maybe Bruno), and got Elm to come over and make Veronica behave/pick her for ascension instead of Veronica/Bruno. (BRING BRUNO BACK IF YOU'RE GOING TO USE THIS PLOTLINE, IS.)

Anyway, it just got noisy where I am, so that's all I can put to virtual paper for now. But yeah. Crazy. Fun. Exciting. Looking forward to this. (Especially Elm. BAAAAAAATS!!)

Edit: Also the music was nice!

Edit again: I guess dataminers got the music tracks out already. I would not have clicked on Elm's theme if it didn't also say it was the trailer theme and oh my goodness that violin. I...I just love this. Dang, IS, you've got some musical talent here.

Edited by Mercakete

4 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

But does this mean Askr is male? I believe Feh called Ash "an attendant to the god Askr." That said, they've called goddesses "gods" before, so I dunno. Elm is definitely making Veronica fight Askr again, though.

Jumping in a bit here, but we actually got confirmation on this through the voice clips. Ash refers to Askr as 'Lord' and Elm refers to Embla as 'Lady', so Askr is male and Embla is female.

Edited by Medeus

3 hours ago, Medeus said:

Jumping in a bit here, but we actually got confirmation on this through the voice clips. Ash refers to Askr as 'Lord' and Elm refers to Embla as 'Lady', so Askr is male and Embla is female.

Ah, cool; thanks. Huh, they balanced the gender ratio for the four main dragons. I'm kind of impressed.

Edit: Ash is probably IS' response to that old meme: "Needs more cowbell." That said, since sound is air waves, it's smart that she attacks with a musical instrument closely tied with her transformation.

Edit: I thought the story was starting tonight but I guess not.

Edit: Oh, one more thing: How did Kiran's arms not rip off? He caught a cow falling from high up in the sky. His arms should not still be in their shoulder sockets. Also, my headcanon is that Ash is heckin' HEAVY because cow bones.

Edited by Mercakete

4 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Ash immediately sucks and I will not be convinced otherwise. That whole fall/blush/clumsy girl sequence was just...just awful.

I liked her dialogue in the banner trailer, but as first impressions go... hers was terrible for me too.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Elm is definitely making Veronica fight Askr again, though.

One thing I forgot to mention in the other thread is that Elm seems genuinely upset that she and Alfonse are getting along. Not just angry either: he's sad. Maybe he cares more about the fact that there is a conflict than the conflict itself? Either that or he's sad someone would defy Embla's wishes, but that would just make him another Otr.

3 hours ago, Mercakete said:

(But why is the land-bound animal serving the wind god and why is the flying animal serving the earth god?)

Coverage? I think it's poetic in a way~

42 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

One thing I forgot to mention in the other thread is that Elm seems genuinely upset that she and Alfonse are getting along. Not just angry either: he's sad. Maybe he cares more about the fact that there is a conflict than the conflict itself? Either that or he's sad someone would defy Embla's wishes, but that would just make him another Otr.

Coverage? I think it's poetic in a way~

I haven't seen the dialogue yet. Waiting until I go through the story myself to see it in context. Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if he's sad that Veronica is "betraying the mission" or "betraying her ancestor." Loyalty between vassals and masters isn't exactly uncommon, and devotion to the master's cause is, again, a common theme. I wouldn't call him an Otr for that, especially since Otr wasn't actually interested in what Fafnir wanted. He just didn't want to be separated from him.

As for "coverage," I guess? But you'd think that your servants being subject to your foe would be a bad thing. (Askr could just catch Elm's wings like sails and blow him away, or not give him a breeze to fly on, and Embla could suck Ash into the earth with quicksand and she'd...well, yeah.)

Anyway, I can't get over Elm's battle theme/the trailer theme. That violinist is crazy! Makes me think that Elm (who is probably a flying beast unit) is a high-speed, high-attack unit. Man, as soon as this guy is summonable, I'm getting him (probably. I've been disappointed before, but he is really giving me a strong, good first impression.) And his weapon design is so good!

I bet Askr and Embla will show up in the 2nd half of the book. That's going to be some collision.

Oh, also, Sharena confirms that Embla is female and Askr is male in her "meet the heroes" of Ash. She also seems...well, like "Embla is trying to wipe out the royal bloodline and that includes you" is going over her head. "According to Ash, the dragon Embla has set a plan in motion to wipe out everyone who carries Askr’s blood. Well, you can leave it to the Order of Heroes to make sure Embla’s plans don’t come to fruition!" Uhhh yeah... That's you and your brother, Sharena...

Edit: After rewatching the trailer and pausing every time Elm comes up in order to read his expressions, it seems like he's shocked and dismayed (0:42) when Veronica expresses friendship with Alfonse, and then has a "Well fine then." sort of look, followed by "I'll just make you fulfill your bloodline's calling!" And then when he's standing over her, he has a look on his face like "You poor thing. Don't worry, everything will be okay. You'll fulfill your purpose in destroying the children of Askr, and everything will be okay then." Since he looked simultaneously vicious and oddly protective. So, kind of like a half-crazy Jakob if he was loyal to one of Corrin's parents instead of to Corrin him/herself. Makes sense since she has the blood of his master. ... Thinking about it, that would totally make Ash Felicia. ... Why are these parallels so strong?

Edit: Oh, also, Ash obviously has a cowbell mace with lightning powers (yeah, nothing weird about that), but when Elm first shows up, he looks like he's conducting. PLUS his weapon is a tuning fork. Maybe this is more music-themed than it looks at first glance.

Edit again: I really do feel like Sharena should have appeared in the trailer since her life is at stake here, too. Also, I wonder if Henriette will wind up using her power to protect her kids and maybe die in this book, leaving the way open for Alfonse to take the throne and get his floret version for the final book. Anyway, I hope Sharena gets a strong role in this, too, also having Askr's blood. And as I said before, Bruno had better show up. This is directly related to his mission of getting rid of the bloodline curse.

Another edit: Is it just me or does Alfonse in this trailer look more grown-up? Maybe he's been steadily growing up over the years and we just hadn't noticed it. Maybe I should look at some of the previous trailers side by side...

Edited by Mercakete

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

Edit again: I really do feel like Sharena should have appeared in the trailer since her life is at stake here, too. Also, I wonder if Henriette will wind up using her power to protect her kids and maybe die in this book, leaving the way open for Alfonse to take the throne and get his floret version for the final book. Anyway, I hope Sharena gets a strong role in this, too, also having Askr's blood. And as I said before, Bruno had better show up. This is directly related to his mission of getting rid of the bloodline curse.

I'm not holding out much hope for the poor girl. Even in the book that was supposed to be her book she didn't get much focus. Her absence in the trailer is already kinda telling. I think Sharena will be what she's always been. The cute girl in the background and nothing more. 

I don't think Henriette will die just yet. Her dialogue in the valentine banner seems to be setting up some story role for her. Something about a terrible power she can't really control. So I'm guessing she's secretly a god, an aesir or whatever Loki and Thor are. So I assume her prominence and death will be in another book. If we're willing to take a gigantic stretch then she could maybe be Embla herself. We now know that Embla is female and its at least possible that Embla isn't really in control of her actions just like her descendants which might fit with whatever foreshadowing there is regarding Henriette. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not holding out much hope for the poor girl. Even in the book that was supposed to be her book she didn't get much focus. Her absence in the trailer is already kinda telling. I think Sharena will be what she's always been. The cute girl in the background and nothing more. 

I don't think Henriette will die just yet. Her dialogue in the valentine banner seems to be setting up some story role for her. Something about a terrible power she can't really control. So I'm guessing she's secretly a god, an aesir or whatever Loki and Thor are. So I assume her prominence and death will be in another book. If we're willing to take a gigantic stretch then she could maybe be Embla herself. We now know that Embla is female and its at least possible that Embla isn't really in control of her actions just like her descendants which might fit with whatever foreshadowing there is regarding Henriette. 

It's already been said that Embla is the source of her descendants' lack of control. It's her will directly that's influencing them, and it's been said that she herself wants to kill Askr and his children. Why hasn't been specified yet.

As for Henriette, I don't know, man, this seems the book to do something with her, what with the Embla-Askr bloodlines focus. And yeah, I guessed that she was a goddess a while back, too. This is why I said in that quote you took of mine "I wonder if Henriette will wind up using her power to protect her kids and die in this book." If she can't control her power, it may even kill her, herself, when she uses it. She totally would if she needed to protect her kids, though.

Edit: Oh m- Is that Askr?! In the book art, there's a smashed pillar on the righthand side of the image, but on the left (behind Alfonse) is the broken head of a statue with a horn visibly attached to it. Anything below the cheek bones isn't visible (having been destroyed) but was that maybe a statue of Askr? Is that what he looks like?

Edited by Mercakete

Well, my thoughts on this whole thing:

1) Ash is another female free OC, of course... just of course, how surprising. Also, as someone pointed out, she pushes all the wrong buttons on me too, idk, she looks like the obinoxious "Oh, no, so sorry, I'm so shy and clumsy" type (and it also looks like she simps for Kiran too, what a surprise... again). Also, for some reason trying to sexualise a cow girl sounds way more wrong than sexualising a girl that is almost any other animal hybrid for me, idk why...it just doesn't feel right. I like that she's a Laguz tough (but I would rather have a non cow OC that is not a Laguz than... this. Anyway we can't complain of whats for free I guess)

2) So, in norse mythology Ash and Elm are literally just another names for Askr and Embla, they were belived to be the first man and women alive (like Adam and Eve), Askr/Ash was the man and Embla/Elm the woman, but of course that FEH would make Ash a girl (at least the dragons Askr and Embla are right on this). Yes, I used two points to complain that she is a woman, sorry, I'm just kinda pissed about it. But the "good" news is that she is so cringy and looks so awful as a chracter as for now, that being another Female freebie OC is not even close to what bothers me the most on her.

3) Also, am I the only one having the impression that Elm is another emo twink just because of Ótr (except that this one is a furry emo twink, now with a choker), weird to see they follow the same line, I thought that Ótr wasn't very popular among the fandom. Also, what animal is Elm? a bat?(i think so because of his staff and ears i guess), anyway, I like Laguz units so I don't mind, at least he doesn't sound as iffy as Ash being a cow girl. I like bats too, so I'm happy about him, he sounds interesting as well. Hope I'm not wrong (I would rather have a hot guy like Hríd or Bruno, its about time for another, but I can wait until Askr, I won't like Elm less just cuz he isn't hot)

4) I'm really happy to see that this book will be about Embla and Askr, I want to see how this whole Embla blood curse thing will end, specially if this means that eventually Bruno or Veronica will br able to join us in a future book (and I'm starting to fear Bruno's life, I mean, almost every OC of the book dies, if they kill Bruno off I swear I'm quitting this game)

5) Letizia will be a green unit, just you wait for it. If they didn't break the "green main villain" thing with Eitri, they're not doing it with a woman that only wears green and has green magic. Also, she seems interesting for me as well, I want to see what kind of relative she is to Bruno and Veronica too. 

6) Please, don't make Cowmilla real. pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease, I donante an organ to you, IS, if you don't do it. please.

7) How much do you wanna bet that Henriette will die during this book just to show us how serious Embla is about killing everyone with Askr's blood without having to kill Alfonse or Sharena?

9 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Another edit: Is it just me or does Alfonse in this trailer look more grown-up? Maybe he's been steadily growing up over the years and we just hadn't noticed it. Maybe I should look at some of the previous trailers side by side...

I hope they won't keep pushing Sharena aside like this anymore (cough! valentines banner! cough!). This book would be a pretty good opportunity to show more of how much Alfonse's and Sharena's feelings regarding Veronica are contrasting, and it would be cool to see them have a fight about this at some point (something like: when Veronica gets possessed, Sharena only wants to bring her to normal for other people's safety while Alfonse actually cares about Veronica too, so if we happen to deal with a situation that would require us to either kill Veronica in order to stop her curse right now or finding the random McGuffin of the book that is really hard to obtain just to save Veronica's life that could put other people in danger/Veronica eventually dies (like, she falls in the ground during the trailer, it could be this) and the heroes can either let her stay dead or do something kinda risky just to save her life, maybe Alfonse would want to try to save Veronica while Sharena would completely disagree with this if the risks were high enough, ok... maybe not exactly this, Sharena would probably choose to save a life if she could, specially knowing that Bruno and Alfonse care about her, but you know what I mean, some situation similar to this). Yeah, Henriette will probably die, probably in the first time that Letizia attacks Alfonse and Sharena in a "oh no! she is so powerful, we are totally hopeless now, really there is no way to not die now" moment but then Henriette will come out of nowhere and sacrifice herself to save her children, so it will really just be a way to show off how the villain is powerful, again, like they did with Gustav (and probably king Alfonse in the end of the book). Also I'm concerned about Anna's relevance too, she doesn't do shit anymore! And yeah, Bruno better show up AND NOT DIE.

I didn't notice this, I could be wrong though, but he doesnt really look more grown up for me. I think that the thing is that in these 3D clips Alfonse looks a little bit older/more grown up than in his 2D art. 

One more thing: I also think that this violin is sick! I always like the original songs from FEH (except for book IV's theme I guess, like, it wasnt baaaaad, but ater some time it got pretty annoying), like I've been listening to extented versions of Book III and V themes for a long time now, and I also really like the TT+'s final map's songs, always.

17 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

3) Also, am I the only one having the impression that Elm is another emo twink just because of Ótr (except that this one is a furry emo twink, now with a choker), weird to see they follow the same line, I thought that Ótr wasn't very popular among the fandom. Also, what animal is Elm? a bat?(i think so because of his staff and ears i guess), anyway, I like Laguz units so I don't mind, at least he doesn't sound as iffy as Ash being a cow girl. I like bats too, so I'm happy about him, he sounds interesting as well. Hope I'm not wrong (I would rather have a hot guy like Hríd or Bruno, its about time for another, but I can wait until Askr, I won't like Elm less just cuz he isn't hot)

Its probably more the opposite actually. He seems more like a gleefully sadistic little shit. Maybe akin to Envy from FMA. A lot of images have Elm with a wide grin on his face. One of his leaked Japanese battle grunts is also a very cheery ''baaaka!'' 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

2) So, in norse mythology Ash and Elm are literally just another names for Askr and Embla, they were belived to be the first man and women alive (like Adam and Eve), Askr/Ash was the man and Embla/Elm the woman, but of course that FEH would make Ash a girl (at least the dragons Askr and Embla are right on this). Yes, I used two points to complain that she is a woman, sorry, I'm just kinda pissed about it. But the "good" news is that she is so cringy and looks so awful as a chracter as for now, that being another Female freebie OC is not even close to what bothers me the most on her.

Oh, no wonder I couldn't find anything about them when I searched. Never thought to check again on Askr and Embla themselves. Was almost thinking Ash could have a connection with Audhumla.

I am happy this book focuses on my fav char Veronica.

I am a bit confused about the Vessel part. Especially when compared to Muspell and Nifl. We know that Fjorm and Laegjarn are their respectiv Champions. We also can bet that Alfonse and Veronica are the Champions of Askr and Embla. But who were the Vessels of Muspell and Nifl? 

In any case I expect Bruno to apear mid Book6. I also expect an Ascended Version of Alfonse and Veronica towards the end of book 6.

Book 3 focused alot on follow up atracks, either by preventing them orcallowing them

Book4 was focused on bringing us Dancers

Book5 was focused on movement enhancement

Book6 will bring us alot of Teleport shenanigans in terms of units.

4 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I am happy this book focuses on my fav char Veronica.

I am a bit confused about the Vessel part. Especially when compared to Muspell and Nifl. We know that Fjorm and Laegjarn are their respectiv Champions. We also can bet that Alfonse and Veronica are the Champions of Askr and Embla. But who were the Vessels of Muspell and Nifl? 

In any case I expect Bruno to apear mid Book6. I also expect an Ascended Version of Alfonse and Veronica towards the end of book 6.

Book 3 focused alot on follow up atracks, either by preventing them orcallowing them

Book4 was focused on bringing us Dancers

Book5 was focused on movement enhancement

I don't think Muspell and Nifl have vassals. I mean, I think that by "vessel" they mean that Ash and Elm are Askr's and Embla's retainers or something of the like, right? Both Muspell and Nifl don't trust in other people and don't like having anyone around so they probably don't have vassals because they don't want to (Nifl even says that she likes the eternal silence of the snow because it makes it look that the time has stopped or something like this, if she had someone around it wouldnt look like this). 

Or of course, IS just hadnt thought about it yet when they created Nifl and Muspell, because no one had the idea of giving Askr and Embla vassals. But even if its this, it still makes sense if you think about their personalities.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

But who were the Vessels of Muspell and Nifl?

Maybe the two pairs of gods do things differently? Nifl and Muspell specifically only wanted champions to fight for them because they were balanced themselves, whereas Ash and Elm seem more like secretaries - of course, each God still has a "second" in the end, so this could just be a case of them doing the same thing under different coats of paint.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

I didn't think about this, but you may be onto something there! I guess we'll know for sure once we see Elm in action with the next reset. Or check the datamine I suppose, but I don't want to do that just yet.

3 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

I thought that Ótr wasn't very popular among the fandom.

It's worth remembering that these things are designed well in advance. For all we know, Book VI started development as soon as Book V launched, so IS had no way of knowing how poorly Otr would fare in the community.

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Or of course, IS just hadnt thought about it yet when they created Nifl and Muspell, because no one had the idea of giving Askr and Embla vassals. But even if its this, it still makes sense if you think about their personalities.

This is a good point too! This would also tie into what I suggested earlier about the "vassals" being implemented differently for the different Gods: using your logic, it makes perfect sense that Nifl (and Muspell) would bless a Champion when she needs one, but leave them to their own devices when she doesn't.

3 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

One more thing: I also think that this violin is sick! I always like the original songs from FEH (except for book IV's theme I guess, like, it wasnt baaaaad, but ater some time it got pretty annoying), like I've been listening to extented versions of Book III and V themes for a long time now, and I also really like the TT+'s final map's songs, always.

The violin's grown on me too! I didn't think much of it at first, but that may just be because the trailer itself felt underwhelming to me. I liked Book IV's themes too actually, with the exception of the final boss: I get that Freyja's theme was meant to sound chaotic, but it was just two short chords looped over and over - that got old immediately.

Howling Gears (Book V's main theme) and the Ice & Flame theme are my current favorites at the moment. I still remember seeing jokes on r/FEH about people being blindsided by how good Nifl's boss theme is xD

Edited by DefyingFates

Anyone else thinks Sissy's map is going to direct Alfonse and co towards Embla forces instead of away from it? With Veronica either being intended to die in the fighting or if the gang flees with her in tow Sissy going quasi innocently ''Oh no! Alfonse kidnapped Veronica! Best become regent and invade Askr lol!''

43 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Anyone else thinks Sissy's map is going to direct Alfonse and co towards Embla forces instead of away from it? With Veronica either being intended to die in the fighting or if the gang flees with her in tow Sissy going quasi innocently ''Oh no! Alfonse kidnapped Veronica! Best become regent and invade Askr lol!''

Its so obvious its bound to happen