Summoner Duels

XRay

Feel free to discuss all kinds of things related to Summoner Duels here. Share strategies and tactics, venting asinine units and skills, celebrate your achievements, and anything else in between.

In Game Tutorial Transcript:

Spoiler

Battle in Real Time!

— — — — — — —

Favored Heroes:
Select a Hero to be your captain, raise their Favor, and battle!

Win or lose, you can raise your Favor Level and earn rewards.

— — — — — — —

Favor Level:
- Win: gain 10 points
- Win or lose: KO Score and Capture Score add to the total. Maximum of 10 points added. Read on for more details.

— — — — — — —

Winning Conditions:
- Defeat all foes within five turns.
- Survive five turns and earn the higher score.

— — — — — — —

Move Order:
- After you perform an action, your opponent will be able to.
- Using a Duo or Hamonized Skill counts as an action. They can be used by only one Hero per turn.
- If neither team has a remaining action they can use, the next turn will begin.

— — — — — — —

Move Order, Continued:
If an action remains, you can still use a Duo or Harmonized skill, even if all Heroes have moved.

(If all Heroes have performed an action, and no Duo or Harmonized Skills can be used, the turn will end even if actions remain.)

— — — — — — —

Move Order, Continued:
The player with the most actions remaining at the end of a turn will move first on the next turn.

If the number of actions remaining is equal, the move order will not change from the prior turn.

— — — — — — —

Range-1 Bonus:
If a Hero with a range of 1 is in combat with a Hero with a ranged of 2, they will gain Def/Res+7.
Notes: This includes area-of-effect Specials. This bonus will not apply if your unit uses Savior.

— — — — — — —

Earning KO Score:
- Defeat a foe: +2
- Defeat a foe using a captain: +1
- Defeat opponent's captain: +1

Example: Your captain defeats your opponent's captain.
2+1+1=4.

— — — — — — —

Capture Score:
At the end of each turn, if the number of Heroes on your team occupying the Capture Area in the center of the map is at least two more than your opponent's, you'll earn two points.

— — — — — — —

Free Duel:
Does not affect Favor Levels. Passwords and custom rules can be set. Battle the way you want to.

— — — — — — —

Passwords
If you set a password, you will ba matched only with opponents who set the same password.

— — — — — — —

Custom Rules:
You can choose to set the rules yourself or leave them to your opponent.

If you set the rules, you will be matched only with opponents who set the same rules, or those who leave it up to their opponent.

— — — — — — —

Practice Duel:
Does not affect Favor Levels. Custom Rules can be set.

Instead of a live opponent, you will battle an auto-generated team.

— — — — — — —

Win Count Limit:
There is a limit to the number of tracked wins. (This limit is subject to change in the future.)

— — — — — — —

Quests:
Battles fought in Summoner Duels will not progress quests.

Disconnections:
Disconnecting in the middle of a match may be treated as forfeiting and be counted as a loss.

— — — — — — —

Turns:
A turn consists of action phases taken by both sides, not just one player. Skills with "During unit's first combat in player phase or enemy phase" trigger their effects only once, during the turn's first combat.

— — — — — — —

Settings:
Your usual settings may be overwritten by settings specific to Summoner Duels.

In Game Edit Duels Team Tutorial:

Spoiler

Edit Duels Team:
This option allows you to create a team for use in Summoner Duels.

— — — — — — —

Team Creation:
- A team comprises of five Heroes.
- Duplicate Heroes are not allowed.
- You can include only one ally that can use Sing or Dance on your team.
- You can include only one ally that can use Savior.

— — — — — — —

Blessings:
In Summoner Duels, Heroes other than Legendary or Mythic Heroes may receive Legendary or Mythic Effects regardless of whether they have a blessing.

— — — — — — —

Pair Up:
Pair Up cannot be used when playing Summoner Duels.

Legendary Heroes with Pair Up will receive stat bonuses only when their season is active.

— — — — — — —

Captain Skills:
When creating a team, you can set a Captain Skill.

If your captain is defeated, the Captain Skill's effect will no longer be granted.

I think I can do a better tutorial than that.

Summoner Duels is basically an amalgam of chess with Fire Emblem Heroes. In this mode, you make a five man team. You cannot have duplicate Heroes, and you can only bring 1 Dancer/Singer and/or 1 Save tank. In my opinion, this mode should have been called Pawns of Loki and that mode should have been called Summoner Duels. Anyways, the biggest mechanical difference between Summoner Duels and other modes is that you can only move one unit per turn like in chess (I will refer to this type of turn as a mini turn if clarity is needed), but there is also this concept of a bigger turn/round and you can only move each unit once per round (I will refer to this type of turn as a mega turn if clarity is needed). Another way to explain this is that the game basically squishes and blends your turn and your opponent's turn into one large round, and you and your opponent get to take turns moving units in that large round.

Another difference between this mode and other modes is that this mode is a true PvP mode. You are fighting opponents in REAL TIME, not a defense team that is set up by a player and played by an AI! This is pretty exciting!

You win the game by scoring more points than your opponent, and there are two ways to do so: kill foes or have more units than your foe in the Capture Area (this is usually in the center of the map). Killing foes is pretty self explanatory. For the Capture Area, the closest parallel I can think of is Domination in Call of Duty or Conquest in Battlefield, and if you have two or more units than your opponent in the Capture Area, you get two points at the end of a mega turn. Due to this Capture Area mechanic, at least at the time of this writing, you want to control the center of the board similar to how you want to control the center of the board in chess. In my opinion, the two best ways ways to exert control is by placing duel phase units with strong enemy phase performance (generally Spd based melee super tanks with Distant Counter) on the center directly, or use high mobility ranged player phase units who can threaten and attack foes in the center without actually being in the center.

Each team has a captain, and you get to designate who your captains are. Captains get more points when they kill something compared to other teammates. This means that you should only designate combat units as captains, and support units should not be captains. If you are using a super tank team, your super tank should be the captain. If you are using a player phase team, your nuke with the best performance and highest mobility should be the captain; if it is between a nuke with stronger performance compared to a nuke with higher mobility, I lean towards making the nuke with higher mobility the captain. And for one last tidbit on nukes, since Galeforce gives the Galeforcer another action, that basically means the opponent can interrupt and kill the Galeforcer before they can take another action; Trace on the other hand does not give the Tracer another action, but it gives the Tracer the ability to continue their action after combat. If you a more traditional player phase experience in Summoner Duels, utilizing Tracers will probably give you a better experience than using Galeforcers and Dancers/Singers.

Captains also get access to three Captain Skills: Earth Rendering, Adroit Captain, and Secret Maneuver. Earth Rendering will move the capture area closer to your side if your Captain is in it. Adroit Captain gives your Captain and allies within two spaces of it Null Follow-Up. Secret Maneuver is basically Impenetrable Dark for your Captain, and Time's Pulse for the whole team. And remember, if your Captain dies, their Captain Skills will no longer take effect.

Win or lose, your Captain gets Favor, and the higher their Favor level, the more rewards you get. You gain Favor based on the amount of points you have in that match, and you can gain up to a maximum of 10 Favor this way. If you win, you get another 10 favor on top. If you gain 10 or more points and win, you can earn up to 20 Favor per match. I do not think there is ranking in this mode right now, so I would not worry too much about losing.

I think that is about it so far. Have fun!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So finally we have a real time PvP in this game, I loved this mode! unfortunately sometimes I bumped with some guys that have a F!Edelgard + Yuri + B!Edelgard + other crazy insane units (I bumped in a team with a F!Edelgard that had savior!!!). I tried to not be too unfair with mines (like, I used some of my best units of course, but not all of the best of the bests at the same time in a coward or cheap way), guess some people rather win than just have fun. Didn't check the custom rules (or whatever they're called in english) yet but maybe there is some kind of way to limit BST or something like this (maybe a way to choose opponents with similar BST to yours, if it doesnt happen already) to let it a little more fair (well but I'm satisfied anyway, at least there can't be a team of 5 F!Edelgards, the amount of times that I bumped in a crazily unfair team in this mode was pretty low). I think that the mode was designed in a very smart way though, the way we move unit by unit like in chess, that we have to organize the positions without seeing in which positions the foe is putting their units, that we have a time set to move each unit, the basic restritions to using only one dancer and no copies of the same unit and only one savior, the "capture area" that obviously was inspired in chess (as you said already),etc, like you can see that there was some thought put on this. Its pretty fun, and the rewards for playing it are pretty great too. The only thing that bothers me is that I always have to bring my F!Edelgard slayer Petrine since we can't know the enemy's units before playing, and there were a lot of other generally better units that I would rather bring to battle in her place. I think that Galeforce should allow the units to move in the same miniturn though...

Well, I have just 3 doubts that I didn't understand, and I want to see if someone can help me:

- 1) The way that the order of the mega turns work is kinda hard to understand, it is said that:

14 hours ago, XRay said:

The player with the most actions remaining at the end of a turn will move first on the next turn.

If the number of actions remaining is equal, the move order will not change from the prior turn

But how can I have more actions remanining? doesn't the mega turn end only when all of the mini turns (AKA actions, I mean, actions are the same as mini turns right? like, each time we move a unit/perform an action) also end? so for both sides it should be always 0 at the end of the mega turn. Also how is it decided who will start the first mega turn? (I think that the order for the turns should always be the same but yeah, who am I to complain right?)

- 2) How do I set a capitain skill? I can't find out how and the game didn't bother to tell us (maybe I'm too dumb to find out, or maybe its actually hard, idk)

- 3) There's that bonus for 1 range units when they enter in combat against 2 range units. Does this work even when the 1 range unit starts the combat? And what if the unit has distant counter? Will they keep this advantage?

Anyway, tnx for the tutorial XRay, you really did a better job at explaining some stuff that FEH explained in an obscure way. Also the terms "Mini turn" and "Mega turn"  make it way easier to talk about them.

10 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

unfortunately sometimes I bumped with some guys that have a F!Edelgard + Yuri + B!Edelgard + other crazy insane units (I bumped in a team with a F!Edelgard that had savior!!!).

In my experience, all Edelgards are pretty harmless, at least if you are using a super tank team. Hegemon Husk (and all other Galeforcers) cannot Galeforce properly due to how the mode works, and super tanks who are built right and got proper support will just eat her alive. Adrestian Emperor can catch you off guard with her mobility, but she cannot really do much against super tanks.

Against Save tanks, you want some mix of melee and ranged units so you can pick off foes that the Save tank cannot protect against.

I tried to not be too unfair with mines (like, I used some of my best units of course, but not all of the best of the bests at the same time in a coward or cheap way),

If you are playing for rewards, then bring your strongest units and try to score as much points as possible. Treat this like Aether Raids and Arena, although it is okay to lose as long as you kill a few foes since losing will still earn you Favor for rewards. And if the objective is to earn rewards as quickly as possible, then you want to consider surrendering if a match takes too long as it is not worth spending the brain juice and time to win every match, and you will probably earn more points from losing three or four matches than winning one really long match. There are no ranking rewards, so there is no pressure to actually play well and win. The only thing playing well and winning does is earn you rewards faster IF you can win matches quickly in the first place.

If you want a more casual experience, you can use custom games and set rules to limit what units are allowed. However, custom games will not give you rewards, so I do not recommend it outside of practice.

- 1) The way that the order of the mega turns work is kinda hard to understand, it is said that:

On 12/7/2021 at 12:14 AM, XRay said:

If the number of actions remaining is equal, the move order will not change from the prior turn

But how can I have more actions remanining? doesn't the mega turn end only when all of the mini turns (AKA actions, I mean, actions are the same as mini turns right? like, each time we move a unit/perform an action) also end? so for both sides it should be always 0 at the end of the mega turn. Also how is it decided who will start the first mega turn? (I think that the order for the turns should always be the same but yeah, who am I to complain right?)

You can voluntarily end your mega turn early without moving everyone. Actions are the same as mini turns.

I think whoever goes first on the first mega turn is random, but I might be wrong about that. I have not really paid attention nor noticed any patterns to who goes first, so I cannot really say for certain.

- 2) How do I set a capitain skill? I can't find out how and the game didn't bother to tell us (maybe I'm too dumb to find out, or maybe its actually hard, idk)

When you edit teams, there will be a dark circle immediately to the left of the captain, and you tap the dark circle to set what Captain Skill you want.

- 3) There's that bonus for 1 range units when they enter in combat against 2 range units. Does this work even when the 1 range unit starts the combat? And what if the unit has distant counter? Will they keep this advantage?

It does not matter who initiates nor what their skills are. All melee units will get Def/Res+7 against ranged units during combat (and before combat for area of effect Specials). And if I am interpreting it correctly, the only time this effect does not apply is if the melee unit is using a Save skill, so a melee unit with Save skill equipped will still get Def/Res+7 against ranged units if the Save skill did not trigger.

5 hours ago, Lemmy said:

As someone who only autodispatches arena this was the most miserable experience I've had, canto into save armor over and over again.

I recommend bringing your super tank team from Aether Raids so the opponent is forced to engage you, rendering their Save tank pretty much pointless against your team composition. If you still have issue with enemy Save tanks, I recommend bringing a mix of ranged and melee units, so you some way to bypass the Save tank.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Or both teams will stare to each other for 5 turns, ending the match on a draw. It happened to me at least twice.

Cool, this can happen?! How many favor do you win if it ends in a draw? its the same as if you win or less?

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Or both teams will stare to each other for 5 turns, ending the match on a draw. It happened to me at least twice.

I recommend bringing a Spd based super tank since they have decent dual phase performance, so your super tank can take better advantage of whichever phase the opposing super tank is weaker in.

15 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Cool, this can happen?! How many favor do you win if it ends in a draw? its the same as if you win or less?

The tutorial did not elaborate on this, so I assume it counts as a loss, and you earn Favor depending on what your score is. I hope I am wrong though and ties will give both players 5 Favor.

34 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

15 minutes ago, XRay said:

The tutorial did not elaborate on this, so I assume it counts as a loss, and you earn Favor depending on what your score is. I hope I am wrong though and ties will give both players 5 Favor.

In my last draw, both team got zero point by having more units in the capture area, so we got zero favor.

But yeah, in Draw cases, you get the amount based on the kills score and area score... Which to me in that match was nothing.

Ok, tnx, @Diovani Bressan and @XRay.

Now I'm pretty pissed because I will have to redo my team... Specially because I was dumb enough to choose OG!Plumeria as my capitain and now she has almost 150 favor so I'll have to replace her with someone else and regain all of those favor points unitl my next reward (that is at 150 favor). I see that I'll take an eternity to get to the next divine dew reward... 

But seriously, the rewards in this event are AWESOME!!! They even give us Forma Souls!

16 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Now I'm pretty pissed because I will have to redo my team... Specially because I was dumb enough to choose OG!Plumeria as my capitain and now she has almost 150 favor so I'll have to replace her with someone else and regain all of those favor points unitl my next reward (that is at 150 favor). I see that I'll take an eternity to get to the next divine dew reward... 

But seriously, the rewards in this event are AWESOME!!! They even give us Forma Souls!

At least you realized that earlier than me. I already reached 500+ with Nowi and she does a pretty good job in being a pretty nice tank unit that can scary people in not initiatingo n her... but Eitri would be a better Captain because Captains get one extra point by getting kills, and Eitri is usually the one that kills the most in my team.

I am not starting from zero. lol   I think once I reach 1,000 with Nowi, I cahnge the Captain to Eitri, and then started my way back to the top favor, so when they add more rewards I can continue with Eitri as Captain

One thing I would like to add about this mode is that... I don't see why we need to have only 1 map, and all those days until a map change... I am still enjoying this mode, but playing the same map over and over again is a little repetitive... Would be cool to have random maps in Favor Battles, so you would need to make your team work with every map.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

I have not played that much yet, but the team I'm liking to use right now is Lynja (leader), B!Ike, B!Lucina, Flayn and Veld.
After I found the best way to move my units on the first turn, things have been going well.

3 minutes ago, Rinco said:

I have not played that much yet, but the team I'm liking to use right now is Lynja (leader), B!Ike, B!Lucina, Flayn and Veld.
After I found the best way to move my units on the first turn, things have been going well.

Would you mind sharing what is the best way to move the units on the first turn? And does it work only with this team or its some kind of "Universal" way that works for all/a big variety of teams?

8 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Would you mind sharing what is the best way to move the units on the first turn? And does it work only with this team or its some kind of "Universal" way that works for all/a big variety of teams?

Best way for that team comp (and this maps specifically, this will probably change when we have other maps). 
What I try to do is get at least 4 units on the center zone. If I see that my opponent isn't moving more than 3 units in, I can fit my 5th unit there to score points on the first turn. The way I do that also lets my B!Ike threaten some tiles and make my opponent think more carefully and that allows me to position my Lynja in ways to exploit mistakes. It can also create stalemates, but since I use the captain skill that moves the pointing zone towards my team, if the opponent has another skill, that will eventually lead me to controlling that zone and scoring points while forcing my opponent to be aggressive.

I don't know if I explained it well, but if I have some free time later I can record a match and post it here.

Tl;dr: Everything depends on your team composition. You have to play with it and find what suits it best.

Okay so while the mode is alright, I'm kind of the opinion that FE really just doesn't work in a direct PvP setting especially in a mode where almost every team I've battled so far runs either Brave Eirika, Yuri, or both, but not my point. My one major complaint... this mode takes too freaking long.

One needs to win 50 battles to accumulate enough Favor points for every single reward, and that's assuming you win.
30 seconds across 10 separate moves at maximum per turn, assuming overtime isn't taken, and then all the little animations that play means the first round alone can take 3 minutes at minimum. Sure things go faster as time goes on, but not by a whole lot.
About 10 minutes per match I've clocked so far... I guess the rewards are good yes, all it took was one PvE wins to get 400 Divine Dews, but... that just feels too long for a battle to take, especially when Abyssal Hero Battles can take 5 to 6 if you leave battle animations on. And this is probably something I'll just have to live with, because this isn't a design flaw with the mode or a meta filled with broken units... it's just a mode that feels like it takes too long in a phoneapp gacha game.

22 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

One thing I would like to add about this mode is that... I don't see why we need to have only 1 map, and all those days until a map change... I am still enjoying this mode, but playing the same map over and over again is a little repetitive... Would be cool to have random maps in Favor Battles, so you would need to make your team work with every map.

I like that the map remains the same for a while. Sure, its kinda repetitive but I think that if we always had random maps Instead of the maps changing in some kind of rotation after some days, then the PvP would become less of a strategy thing and more of a "Just bring the most OP units you have and start killing"  since this is appliable to every map, but with a map rotation (that lets the player know which map they're going to play) it let us choose a team that applies better to that context instead of just choosing a bunch of strong ass units. Like, we actually have to bother creating the team (and them changing it whenever the map changes too). Idk, thats just what I think. How boring or repetitive it is mainly depends on how many days each map lasts, but its good that they're not random

Edited by ARMADS!!!

Okay, I'm trying to make the most jerkass team possible with what I have, and this is what I've come up with so far:

+10+5 Ascended Fjorm [+Spd] (Nifl's Bite, Reposition, Ice Mirror, Steady Posture 3, Hardy Fighter 3, A/R Far Save 3, Mystic Boost 3) + Adroit Captain
+8+5 Ash [+Atk] (Horn of Opening, Reposition, Bonfire, Atk/Def Unity, Lull Atk/Def 3, Opening Retainer, Atk/Def Form 3)
+10+5 Thorr [+Atk] (War-God Mjolnir, Reposition, Aether, Sturdy Impact, Flow Guard 3, Worldbreaker, Death Blow 3)
+5+5 Brave Eirika [+Spd] (Binding Reginleif, Reposition, Luna, Surge Sparrow, Moonlight Bangle, Atk/Spd Menace, Swift Sparrow 2)
+1+0 Yuri [+Spd] (Honorable Blade, Foul Play, Moonbow, Swift Sparrow 2, Desperation 3, Time's Pulse 3, Blade Session 3)

Ash provides a hilarious amount of mobility for Fjorm and Thorr to move around, and Fjorm renders the majority of ranged units completely useless against the team since it has no trouble staying together.

Thorr, Eirika, and Yuri are used to snipe melee opponents, as my win condition is to kill all melee opponents and force the opponent to surrender when none of their ranged units can kill Fjorm. Ash and Thorr can also function as a wall to keep melee units away from Fjorm if necessary.

Yuri can also do all kinds of bullshit with Ash's teleportation support and Foul Play.

EDIT: Taking a break now at 20 wins and 1 loss.

Three of those wins were against AI. Two were disconnections, presumably ragequits since the opponents were hopelessly behind.

The single loss was due to idiot me losing Fjorm early and having to play around a Legendary Claude. I ended up losing by only 1 point because I couldn't chase them down fast enough at the end after being hit by Claude's Gravity, they had the captain skill that made the capture area move away from me, and they had a Gatekeeper that nullified Ash's teleportation field.

I also had one near-loss where I accidentally traded away my Thorr before killing their Fallen Edelgard, resulting in me spending the last 2 turns running away from their Edelgard because everything else was dead and with my score only 1 point up.

The most difficult matches so far were against Legendary Sigurd and Duo Catria. Gatekeeper is annoying, but not terribly hard to deal with. Legendary Azura is also a bit annoying, but it's usually pretty clear what the opponent is trying to set up when they have a dancer.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Because I like compiling shit like this, these are all the characters that no one has maxed out Favor on that I know of (because you can't check the leaderboards of characters you don't have). This is obviously very subject to change:

Heroes

Spoiler

Bride Fjorm [717, 33]
New Year's Eir [606, 29]
Mirabilis [861, 41]

Characters I can't Check
New Year's Alfonse & Sharena
Spring Sharena
New Year's Anna
Valentine's Gustav
Valentine's Henriette
Spring Bruno
Spring Veronica
Pirate Veronica & Xander
New Year's Fjorm
Ascended Fjorm
Hrid
New Year's Hrid
Muspell
Summer Laegjarn
Ascended Laegjarn
New Year's Laevatein
Summer Laevatein
Ninja Laevatein
Summer Helbindi
Hel
Lif
Valentine's Lif & Thrasir
New Year's Peony & Triandra
New Year's Plumeria
Summer Freyr
Freyja
Otr
Eitri

Shadow Dragon, (New) Mystery

Spoiler

Groom Marth [524, 28]
Plegian M!Kris [929, 45]
Roderick [744, 41]
Pirate Darros [701, 34]
Bantu [416, 20]
Malice [610, 27]

Characters I can't Check
CYL Marth
Spring Est
Julian
Plegian Katarina
Ninja Navarre

Shadows of Valentia

Spoiler

Tobin [711, 33]
Valentine's Silque [873, 44]
Valbar [504, 29]
Leon [642, 33]
Mathilda [583, 26]
Tatiana [650, 30]
Valentine's Conrad [632, 34]

Characters I can't Check
Legendary Alm
Valentine's Alm & Celica
Valentine's Faye
Valentine's Rudolf
Ballroom Berkut
Duma
Mila

Genealogy of the Holy War

Spoiler

Jamke [747, 36]
Dithorba [740, 36]

Characters I can't Check
Ballroom Sigurd & Deirdre
Pirate Brigid
Azelle
Quan
Ballroom Quan
Ballroom Ethlyn
Annand
Legendary Seliph
Legendary Julia
Scion Julia
Ullr

Thracia 776

Spoiler

Nanna [576, 27]
Eyvel [391, 20]
Tanya [714, 40]

Characters I can't Check
Ronan
Ballroom Reinhardt

Binding Blade

Spoiler

Galle [459, 15]
Groom Zelot [501, 25]
Sue [681, 39]

Characters I can't Check
Valentine's Roy
Legendary Roy
Summer Wolt
Wedding Saul
Bridal Shanna
Spring Fir
Legendary Fae
Ninja Igrene
Spring Idunn & Fae

Blazing Blade

Spoiler

Bride Lyn [619, 30]
Summer Lyn [526, 25]
Hector [589, 33]
Winter Zephiel [720, 37]
Summer Fiora [944, 51]
Karel [618, 27]
Hawkeye [701, 32]

Character I can't Check
Valentine's Lyn
Groom Pent
Fiora
Bridal Ninian
Bramimond

Sacred Stones

Spoiler

Summer Innes [552, 28]
Tethys [516, 22]
Halloween Dozla [723, 35]
Spring Saleh [917, 40]

Characters I can't Check
Legendary Eirika
Winter Ephraim
Summer Selena
Selena
Summer Joshua
Gerik
Young L'Arachel
Spring Myrrh & Nah

Path of Radiance

Spoiler

Bertram [390, 15]
Winter Sephiran [298, 17]

Characters I can't Check
Gatrie
Bridal Sigrun
Bridal Tanith
Tanith
Marcia
Astrid

Radiant Dawn

Spoiler

No one and I'm only missing...

Characters I can't Check
Ninja Shinon
Halloween Dheginsea
Ashera

Awakening

Spoiler

Winter Chrom [386, 19]
Winter M!Robin [333, 19]
Winter Lissa [532, 30]
Summer Frederick [362, 18]
Sully [743, 35]
Sumia [904, 52]
Spring Lucina [406, 20]
Kjelle [466, 23]

Characters I can't Check
Legendary Chrom
Summer Gaius
Flavia
Plegian Tharja
Say'ri
Spring Inigo

Fates

Spoiler

Adrift M!Corrin [681, 39]
Adrift F!Corrin [816, 46]
Adrift Mikoto [425, 20]
Hot Springs Sakura [833, 45]
Subaki [702, 35]
Spring Xander [208, 8]
Summer Xander [208, 9]
Dancer Xander [229, 10]
Spring Camilla [225, 8]
New Year's Camilla [278, 14]
Summer Leo [588, 28]
Summer Elise [612, 30]
Hot Springs Elise [246, 12]
Benny [704, 36]
Arete [718, 42]

Characters I can't Check
Dancer Ryoma
Hot Springs Ryoma
Hot Springs Hinoka
Bridal Oboro
Rinkah
Bridal Charlotte

Three Houses

Spoiler

Plegian Dorothea & Lene [894, 44]
Solon [576, 29]

Characters I can't Check
Legendary M!Byleth
Halloween Sothis & M!Byleth
Halloween Rhea
Catherine
Gatekeeper

Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Spoiler

No one and I have all five characters

the mode is fun but need fine tuning.

Either limit the groups to one canto or one dancer

or change canto to count as a move meaning it follows the same rule as galeforce and therefore you cant attack and move back to safety (or repo and move back to safety)

you are immidiatly at a huge disadvantage if you dont have a unit with super canto built in their weapon or personal skill.

I enjoied the mode the most with the book 3 restriction on. 

I'm at 12 wins and 5 losses today. Total 598 Favor.

Losses were due to one of

• Duo Corrin, who occasionally does enough damage to break through Fjorm.
  • Legendary Marth, who has enough Spd to avoid a double from Eirika if he has Atk/Spd Unity (and I ran into two of those).
  • Duo Catria with a Legendary Sigurd with a Trace skill.

I've switched Fjorm over to Deflect Magic to see if that helps against Corrin, but I haven't run into another Corrin since. Ash is also now running Distant Guard to make up for losing Mystic Boost's healing. I wonder if Spd/Res Form would be better than Deflect Magic, though.

I can live with playing around Marth.

Sigurd is annoying, but without Duo Catria, he can't really do anything if I put Eirika in front because of Adroit Captain. Eirika is pretty good at zoning him away.

Theorycrafting and random thoughts about strategy and teambuilding:

Reginn seems to be a pretty good zoning unit in this mode. She has Canto [3] for the first 4 turns, making it pretty safe to have her run in and snipe something if the opponent leaves a unit open. Otr does the same thing, but no one has him because he's pretty useless outside of this mode.

Walhart and Young Larchel are pretty good support units since they have a huge AoE Flash debuff, though it can be difficult to land if both sides are just playing chicken with each other on the sides of the map. That said, the mere threat of being hit with Flash is a zoning tool of its own. On the other hand, since turns are taken one unit at a time, it's also possible to shake off debuffs before the opponent can capitalize on them.

Speaking of playing chicken, Earth Rendering with a zoning team seems like a pretty legit strategy. Put some high-mobility nukes in front and just try to keep the opponent away while you gain capture points. Seems like a decent way to punish more passive opponents (like me).

Speaking of Walhart, fast Walhart is pretty scary if you don't have a non-blue wall breaker. One of my opponents just sat him dead center in the middle of the map, and it took some serious finagling to get Thorr over to him to get rid of him.

Since you're only allowed one Save unit, it looks like everyone who's running Save is using Far Save over Near Save. Makes sense since tanking ranged units is in general tougher than tanking melee units. However, that also means that teams running too many ranged units will have trouble dealing with teams running Save. It's probably best to limit the number of ranged units on your team to 2 at the maximum.

I've seen a couple of teams with Duo Lyn, and she seems pretty good if you can get her to break through Save tanks, but given that Galeforce-type effects are heavily nerfed in this mode, I'm pretty sure Ninja Igrene is better due to her better mobility and raw punching power. Igrene with Secret Maneuver seems like a pretty good nuke unit.

I don't see a lot of dragons in this mode at all, which is good news for every version of Dimitri, as none of them have any Res whatsoever. I'm a bit curious if anyone's been using any version of him and how he actually fares (compared to Brave Eirika).

Edited by Ice Dragon

I will hear absolutely zero arguments that Ash was not made for this mode even though she wasn't billed for it. Panic negation and Summer Tana's super-Guidance are king in this mode, and Ash comes with both; all she's really missing is a Trace skill.

I have yet to get my feet wet in this mode, but I am constructing a team that works with the "Book III or earlier" rule. L!Eliwood will be feeding buffs and Bonus Doubler to F!Grima, Phina, Nowi (thank you, Resplendent!), and Walhart, all having 60 Atk. Nowi needs a couple skills from units I have yet to HM cap, and Walhart needs a Trace (why are all the Near Traces on seasonals!?), but it looks pretty promising. I have yet to decide who will be the Captain though.

I'm not sure what I'd do for a competitive non-Book III team besides dropping Ash into it, but I do know my meme team would be the dancer squad of Silvia (Galeforce/Close Call/Odd Tempest annoyer), Phina (Enemy Phase trap), Balldigan (speedtank), Puddle (all-rounder), and Larum (Windsweeper/tank destroyer). Once again not sure who will be Captain, and I can't decide between Adroit Captain or Secret Maneuver (mostly because of charging Galeforce and Lethality).

Edited by Some Jerk

Gave the mode a shot for the first time today, despite it having been a long time since I've really built a character. It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be for a casual player! I used a Griel's Mercenaries team comprised of Original Soren, Original Shinon, Gatrie, Oscar, and as the captain, Fallen Ike. I won my first two battles, and I think the third was my first loss. Then it went back and forth on wins and losses intermittently. So, even without sweating over exact builds, this mode can be fun! And I imagine, the more effort you put in, the more fun it is! It really revives the "choose your favorites and make them great" spirit of this game, and I can't stress enough how much I LOVE that you don't get punished for not being a whale/conforming to all the typical strong characters/builds out there.

I gave the mode a fair few plays today, and I don't think it's the mode for me. I feel like I've lost way more than I've won, and I've already gotten plenty salty losing in modes like Arena and Aether Raids, so I don't think I need to do it in real time, too.

Winning doesn't feel fully satisfactory even with favorite units, and losing makes me wanna cry (but that's how I feel in any online game, honestly). Maybe I'm just not smart enough for this mode or my favorites are just bad, I dunno.

I'll try to get to 1,000 favor so I can at least get all of the rewards, but damn is that a grind that I'm not looking forward to. 

Uuuggghhh.........

I do not want to use my super tank team anymore. I feel like I have to fish for the right opponent or else it becomes a huge slog. And even then, my super tank team maybe wins like half the time. Another reason I dislike it so much is that it is difficult to exert pressure effectively; while I can send Ike: Brave Mercenary into the center relatively quick enough, he needs support to back him up to make him an actual dual phase threat, and while the supports are powerful at supporting, they are pretty much trash in combat, and they clog up the space that my nuke could have take to exert additional pressure.

Since I got 1k on Nowi last friday (one week ago), I... didn't play it anymore. It's not that I don't like playing Duels, but it's just... I get nothing by playing it for now on.

I have no interest in being higher rank in Nowi's or any other character list, because there is no reward on doing it and there is no point in doing it as well when the wins cap at 200.

I have no interest in playing with another unit as Captain from zero, since I get no new reward by doing this (I never expected a Forma Soul for each 100 to a new character, but would be nice to get at least some feathers by getting a decent amount with each hero... just like Hero Merit)

The gameplay is fun but... Eehh. If I am spending time on Heroes though playing a mode again and again, better spend time on Tempest Trials so I can get more feathers by reaching higher ranks.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:55 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

Since I got 1k on Nowi last friday (one week ago), I... didn't play it anymore. It's not that I don't like playing Duels, but it's just... I get nothing by playing it for now on.

I have no interest in being higher rank in Nowi's or any other character list, because there is no reward on doing it and there is no point in doing it as well when the wins cap at 200.

I have no interest in playing with another unit as Captain from zero, since I get no new reward by doing this (I never expected a Forma Soul for each 100 to a new character, but would be nice to get at least some feathers by getting a decent amount with each hero... just like Hero Merit)

The gameplay is fun but... Eehh. If I am spending time on Heroes though playing a mode again and again, better spend time on Tempest Trials so I can get more feathers by reaching higher ranks.

Now if they would let you ascend a stat of your captain leader once you reach max that would be an incentivvto play this mode alot, and repeat with a different leader!