Summoner Duels

XRay

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

And in case anyone's interested in my team setup, it looks like this:

Reveal hidden contents

KzFyLvD.png

Team 4 is the bait team. Teams 1 and 2 are my preferred teams. Despite the lack of synergy, I probably would have used team 4 over team 3 if both teams 1 and 2 were vetoed simply because I'm not too confident in the composition (and because Robin isn't fully merged and don't yet have an S summoner support).

You do not use Canto on Teams 1 and 2? Is it because of Far Save being enough to serve as the shield for them?

I still have not played yet this week, and I still need finish building my team. I am tring to incorporate more Save Armors since they stump me when I go against them, but I am not sure if I will have enough diversity in nukes to kill the enemy team.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XRay said:

You do not use Canto on Teams 1 and 2? Is it because of Far Save being enough to serve as the shield for them?

I still have not played yet this week, and I still need finish building my team. I am tring to incorporate more Save Armors since they stump me when I go against them, but I am not sure if I will have enough diversity in nukes to kill the enemy team.

Fjorm and Henriette are both strong enough to tank almost every ranged unit not called Duo Chrom (who gets vetoed immediately), so I don't have to worry about the reach of any ranged units.

Most players this season don't have more than one Far Save unit, so I can often simply spend my two vetoes one on Duo Chrom and the other on the team with the Far Save unit. This gives me the advantage that all of my attackers are functional (because the opponent is left without a Far Save unit), whereas the opponent's ranged units are dead weight. Losing one of my attackers because I didn't have Canto to retreat doesn't really matter when I just sniped my opponent's only functional attacker and I still have a second functional attacker (combined with the fact that my mobility support on both teams 1 and 2 are also no slouch on their own offensively and can serve as a third attacker if needed).

I'm sure it'll be more difficult in future seasons when the point cap is lifted, allowing for more stratified matchmaking, but for this season, you don't need perfect teams to get by if you have enough units to fill up two and a half good teams. All you really need is two good teams and one veto bait team that looks scary, but actually probably isn't.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Managed to cap Glory for Duels S (only lost once). It's a better experience compared to the other For Glory mode Duels R since it's not necessarily likely that I would run into a whale with a cracked regiment of highly invested premium units. However, whales likely would've already gotten the 1K Glory cap right away and dropped the gamemode for the time being.

Here is my set up, I replaced Ash with Eir on my last match since it is against an AI to reach 1,000 Glory. I think Leif: Destined Scion is the least vetoed team, but all my teams have been vetoed at least once I think. While technically I have four different teams, they are all pretty much the same team in practice. Every captain is a ranged cavalry Canto nuke, and each team is under the Aegis of a Far Save tank.

KUmVKjL.jpg

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Managed to cap Glory for Duels S (only lost once). It's a better experience compared to the other For Glory mode Duels R since it's not necessarily likely that I would run into a whale with a cracked regiment of highly invested premium units. However, whales likely would've already gotten the 1K Glory cap right away and dropped the gamemode for the time being.

Yeah, I do not see as much busted teams as I usually do since most players do not have a large Barracks to fill out all their teams.

On the other hand, I think I must have given quite a few players heart attacks on the preview screen since I bring as much cancer as possible. None of my units are highly merged though and I kind of suck gameplay wise (lost three times), so that must have been a relief for some of my opponents. That being said, I still managed to clinch quite a few wins to reach 1,000, so plenty of players still had to experience being curb stomped by the latest meta. My record against real opponents so far is 5 wins out of 8 matches.

6 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Being able to veto every B!Eirika I see has made this mode 12X more enjoyable~

But can you veto all cancer though?

I veto every Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo I see, so that was a huge relief. I am surprised that my Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo is not always vetoed though.

Edited by XRay

18 hours ago, XRay said:

But can you veto all cancer though?

I veto every Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo I see, so that was a huge relief. I am surprised that my Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo is not always vetoed though.

I generally find that most other cancer is more than doable~

I usually don't even notice when Duo Chrom is on someone's team, TBH. I prioritize vetoing Eirika and Yuri and they tend to keep Chrom on his own team away from them, probably expecting the veto for those two. That's probably what happens in your lineups if you have something similar with your cancer all spread out~

• 2 weeks later...

Ranked is still all kinds of not fun, and this week's map was certainly not helping.

2 wins and 4 losses against human players this time around, resulting in being 1 win away from reaching the next tier, and at least one of those losses could have been avoided due to a misplay.

Duo Chrom was actually not that as much of an issue as I feared due to the map making his Assist pretty much useless, but I'm probably going to have to switch my Save tank because Chrom can one-hit kill Fjorm through Ice Mirror, which is stupid. I'll see how well Svalinn Shield Valentine Robin fares next time.

This mode is still not fun.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

This mode is still not fun.

For me, an asshole stole a win by somehow disconnecting me.

The name is <Kazu★B'z>, and after getting disconnected, I remember reading about similar situations on Reddit. I also remember experiencing getting disconnected when I first started Summoner Duels and the name also seems a bit familiar.

I wish they had a better system in place to punish cheaters. I am going to send feedback right now while the replay is still there. I also cannot play the replay either.

Edited by XRay

9 hours ago, XRay said:

For me, an asshole stole a win by somehow disconnecting me.

The name is <Kazu★B'z>, and after getting disconnected, I remember reading about similar situations on Reddit. I also remember experiencing getting disconnected when I first started Summoner Duels and the name also seems a bit familiar.

I wish they had a better system in place to punish cheaters. I am going to send feedback right now while the replay is still there. I also cannot play the replay either.

I don't know how it works that you can make others disconnect, but that's foul play...

I had an opponent that disconnected during my match, but I waited the 30 seconds the game gives in waiting for the player's return, and after that time passed I got the win.

• 2 weeks later...

I won only one match this week against a real opponent, so my performance is absolutely abysmal. I am not sure what I can do to improve besides throwing more merges onto my units, but that does not fix everything, not to mention expensive. I guess I am just sick and tired of having to deal with more than one high pressure mode every week. While Aether Raids is not too bad these days, it still saps my brain juice, and having Summoner Duels S/R on top of that just makes it unbearable and I keep putting the mode off until the last day.

Edited by XRay

Literally put this off until there were 3 hours left of the event remaining. It's not particularly stressful since I can still veto most of the things that annoy me, but it still is tedious.

1 loss, followed by a win against the AI team, followed by a draw, followed by 8 straight wins to cap out my score.

I decided that Canto was a bit too good to keep passing up on, so I rearranged a few of last time's teams to round out my three good teams a bit more. Strangely enough people were willing to give me my dummy team with both Fallen Edelgard and Duo Chrom on it. Maybe because it doesn't have a Save armor on it.

Anyways, my setup looks like this:

Spoiler

GcnLpDW.png

No particularly special builds on any of them and no Trace skills other than the ones that they come with.

The last team is still the dummy team that's supposed to look intimidating, but actually kind of sucks. I might actually have enough pieces to turn it into a real team sometime, but that'll have to wait until I actually have some motivation. I probably need to grab a Far Save Ascended Idunn for the team or something like that. I've got a spare Legendary Fae and Ascended Fjorm, but I'd like to grab another Fjorm for Hardy Fighter or something like that.

57 minutes ago, XRay said:

I won only one match this week against a real opponent, so my performance is absolutely abysmal. I am not sure what I can do to improve besides throwing more merges onto my units, but that does not fix everything, not to mention expensive. I guess I am just sick and tired of having to deal with more than one high pressure mode every week. While Aether Raids is not too bad these days, it still saps my brain juice, and having Summoner Duels S/R on top of that just makes it unbearable and I keep putting the mode off until the last day.

I basically feel the same. I did really well in the first Summoner Duels R season but it burnt me out so much I haven't seriously done R or S since, meaning I haven't really done S at all. Since the rewards for S are pretty minor I'll probably just quickly rank myself each time it comes up for the basic rewards and never actually play it, and I'm tier 10 in R anyway so that's not a bad spot to stay for a while.

6 hours ago, Florete said:

I basically feel the same. I did really well in the first Summoner Duels R season but it burnt me out so much I haven't seriously done R or S since, meaning I haven't really done S at all. Since the rewards for S are pretty minor I'll probably just quickly rank myself each time it comes up for the basic rewards and never actually play it, and I'm tier 10 in R anyway so that's not a bad spot to stay for a while.

Yeah... I believe I am in Tier 11 in Duels R, and I will say that's a pretty safe position to never care about that mode ever again. I believe we can get Top 3k rank in Duels R in those tiers, and the rewards are almost the same as Top 1k in Duels and Arena Assault, so Duels R weeks will become a break from those modes.

In comparison: Top 20,000 in Summoner Duels R gives better rewards than Top 3,000 in Arena Assault. Since I am a Top 3k in AA anyway, I am happy where I am ranking in Duels.

Duels S I still want to get more tiers, since to me it's a more enjoyable experience for the reason that you can block certains units (aka Valentine Chrom). It's still annoying to play though, since takes a lot of time to deal with it. I managed to get Tier 8 in Duels S (the maximum possible right now), so maybe next Duels S should be the last time I will play this mode seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to get a match out of the way this SDR season so I could get ranked and collect, so I went in and just auto-battled.

...I won the match. And it wasn't even some F2P team or something, it had a +10 Duo Corrin, +10 LCorrin, +10 LTiki, Duo Dagr, and LLeif. Code is Qmga5UaDkE if you want to see.

(Not an April Fool's prank btw, this really happened)

Edited by Florete

Ranked is still stupid, even if I'm doing better than before.

Six wins against human players this season, which puts me at rank 883 at the time of this post.

Found some interesting hyper offense teams this season, including one that used a Pathfinder chain to give Yuri effectively 7 movement on turn 1.

• 3 weeks later...

Reached capped score with only 2 losses. Took me about 2 and a half hours. This game mode is so fucking tedious. They should lower difference between the previous season's max score and the current season's max score by 200 points or so. Requiring 10 wins (assuming at least one loss that cost points) to reach the max score is an absolute pain in the ass. This game mode would actually be enjoyable if it didn't take so long to do.

I need to hurry up and build the bullshit Spring Maria super tank build. I already have all of the parts, but I'm just too lazy to actually put them together.

I just played enough to move up to Silver C. I am sick of this mode.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I need to hurry up and build the bullshit Spring Maria super tank build. I already have all of the parts, but I'm just too lazy to actually put them together.

Tell me how it will goes when you use her in Summoner Duels R/S.

If she turns out decent, I think I might finish merging her up when she comes back around. I got her to +5+5, but Guard Bearing feels super iffy. I am also super used to using cavalry and faux-cavalry units, so I am not sure if I can stomach using anything slower movement wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Ranked is still shit, as usual. I got my 4 wins to climb to the next tier, which is enough to satisfy me.

On 4/25/2022 at 3:55 AM, XRay said:

Tell me how it will goes when you use her in Summoner Duels R/S.

If she turns out decent, I think I might finish merging her up when she comes back around. I got her to +5+5, but Guard Bearing feels super iffy. I am also super used to using cavalry and faux-cavalry units, so I am not sure if I can stomach using anything slower movement wise.

She obviously can't deal with Nanna for obvious reasons, but other than that, nothing else bothered to attack her other than a few ranged units after my Far Save tank was taken out, so I just have to assume that no melee unit other than Nanna could actually touch her. A Duo Chrom was also incapable of taking her out in one round, which was kind of funny. I don't remember what build it was running, but it probably wasn't optimized.

I'm currently running her with

+6+5 Spring Maria [+Spd]
Pastel Poleaxe
Reposition
Moonbow
Steady Posture 3
Guard Bearing 3
Atk/Spd Rein 3
Steady Posture 2

Her biggest weakness is the fact that she has very little presence on player phase, which I'm hoping will be fixed when Spd/Def Catch and the Spd/Def Push Sacred Seal are released.

I was using her as my captain with the skill that gives her Pathfinder, which was pretty convenient for getting Nanna over the trenches for free since opponents couldn't stop Maria from just sitting on the trenches.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Won half of my matches, so I was only able to move up to Gold B, and I am like around 50 points from Gold A. I think I need more Hector: Brave Warrior merges. I saw Counter-Vantage once or twice on Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo, so I am considering maybe using Dragon Fang instead of Blazing Wind on Sonya: Dazzling Rabbits, and she needs a stronger A skill too than Life and Death 3 that is one her now.

53 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm currently running her with

+6+5 Spring Maria [+Spd]
Pastel Poleaxe
Reposition
Moonbow
Steady Posture 3
Guard Bearing 3
Atk/Spd Rein 3
Steady Posture 2

I will run that build two weeks from now and see how it goes. Since she cannot counterattack against ranged units, would Deflect Magic be a good idea? The most common ranged physical unit are Chrom: Crowned Exalt and Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo, so I am not worried about winning a Spd check against them. I have seen one Yuri and two Dagr: New YearJötnar, but I do not think they can easily break Maria: Sunny Smile in one round of combat either.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Her biggest weakness is the fact that she has very little presence on player phase, which I'm hoping will be fixed when Spd/Def Catch and the Spd/Def Push Sacred Seal are released.

While having player phase is nice, how necessary do you feel she needs it? Guard on A seems pretty useful and makes her more bulky. Right now, I have four nukes and a Save tank. I do not think I have been in a battle of attrition that requires me to trade all my nukes one after another in one quick session, so maybe I can afford to run three nukes and trade the fourth nuke for a more mobile forward tank to compliment my Save tank towards the back. On the other hand, maybe it is because I have four high mobility nukes right now that it makes the opponent think twice and hesitate, giving me slightly more advantage in initiating a war of attrition.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

Since she cannot counterattack against ranged units, would Deflect Magic be a good idea?

I'm running a Far Save tank on my team, so there's no need to run Deflect Magic.

8 hours ago, XRay said:

While having player phase is nice, how necessary do you feel she needs it? Guard on A seems pretty useful and makes her more bulky.

I'm running a Far Save tank, one ranged nuke, one melee nuke, one dancer, and Maria. Having Maria be able to attack on player phase is at least somewhat useful to me.

I don't think Guard is too impactful partly because of how ridiculously fast she is and partly because her damage reduction is capable of absorbing Special damage. Pre-charged Specials are pretty common in this game mode, especially with Duo Chrom running around, so Guard doesn't really prevent enemies from activating Specials.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what the deal is with people just throwing fallen Rhea in front of my Ashera in SD but it has happened enough times for it just to be a coincidence. The DR on Rhea doesn't do much especially against Ashera's naturally high Res supported by BG!Catria's TA support to break through the follow up prevention. 

Edited by Flying Shogi

• 3 weeks later...

Six wins and one loss this week brings me up two tiers to Platinum D (tier 13) with a score of 3,405, which is currently rank 745.

My no-Save team of Spring Maria (Pathfinder captain skill), Thorr, Harmonized Edelgard, Duo Chrom, and Legendary Azura carried the crap out of this season with three wins (which is every match where the opponent allowed them to play), and none of the matches were even close.

Only took me 45 minutes and even though I can definitely keep going because I still have 3 losses remaining, I don't have the motivation to continue. This game mode is still tiring, but at least it's now also funny because of the all of the hilariously broken units I have on my roster. Mediuth and Myrrh were amazing at being melee tanks on my other teams.

I hope we get a Res/* Catch Sacred Seal sometime soon so Myrrh can have a better dual-phase Sacred Seal. Solo doesn't work when my team is all bunched up around her.

Ugh... Extremely disappointed, frustrated, and miserable. Lost all my real matches. I have difficulty protecting my wallbreakers, so I cannot punch through their Save tanks when they die, and I cannot retaliate effectively due to Trenches blocking the way. Hector: Brave Warrior was particularly annoying because my wallbreakers cannot get to him or they do jacksquat because they target his non-existent armor weakness.

What I need are more wall breakers, they need to be infantry or fliers, they need an innate movement boost, and they need true damage or lots of effectivness. Being ranged would be nice too. What I basically need is Caeda: Sea-Blossom Pair or Nanna: Beloved Princess on foot or wings, and preferably ranged with Firesweep.

I also feel like I cannot run normal nukes anymore cause they cannot do anything until Save tanks are down. For example, Yuri feels like a complete waste of space because his mobility means jack shit if he cannot actually take out enemy nukes, due to enemy Save tanks are in the way. All my captains are crap too this week since they are all Canto cavalry units.

And I keep forgetting to bring Maria: Sunny Smile along to try her out.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My no-Save team of Spring Maria (Pathfinder captain skill), Thorr, Harmonized Edelgard, Duo Chrom, and Legendary Azura carried the crap out of this season with three wins (which is every match where the opponent allowed them to play), and none of the matches were even close.

What are your other subteams? My current team suck complete ass because all my subteams have too much cavalry and I cannot take the center to pressure my opponent.

And do you keep Raging Storm on Edelgard: Sun Empresses? Since Galeforce is nerfed, I figure Bold Fighter might be better since it will always give guaranteed follow up attacks, and potentially triggering Moonbow or Ruptured Sky twice.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, XRay said:

What are your other subteams? My current team suck complete ass because all my subteams have too much cavalry and I cannot take the center to pressure my opponent.

mZebHxm.png

Lots of cavalry. Every team has Pathfinder on the main melee tank, which allows one cavalry unit and the Save tank to leapfrog to the second trench tile, after which my tank moves to the opponent's side's trench tile. If the opponent's positioning doesn't allow me to do that, I can still slow push through the middle with the melee tank leading.

My teams are currently arranged in order of ascending preference (bottom is my most preferred team, top is my least).

4 hours ago, XRay said:

And do you keep Raging Storm on Edelgard: Sun Empresses? Since Galeforce is nerfed, I figure Bold Fighter might be better since it will always give guaranteed follow up attacks, and potentially triggering Moonbow or Ruptured Sky twice.

Yes. The goal of Galeforce here isn't to hit and run like with Canto or kill multiple opponents like in normal game modes.

Edelgard is a zoning tool. As long as the opponent is unable to reach her with a ranged unit, her mere existence is enough to apply pressure to every tile in her threat range. Galeforce allows her to take a kill and continue to pressure the map, often from an even better position (such as pinning multiple opposing units), as removing her from the field with anything other than a ranged unit is virtually impossible.

It's worth noting that Edelgard didn't see a single round of combat during the three rounds she was fielded in. She doesn't actually need to use her Galeforce. She just needs to threaten to do it.

Also, people don't really run units bulky enough to need a follow-up, and even if they do, my team has two other wall breakers ready for them.

Next time, I might try out using Distant Storm plus En Garde support (probably in ranked where they can't veto the team), which should also shut down pretty much every ranged unit that doesn't have a Brave weapon, consecutive follow-up, or Sweep.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Lots of cavalry. Every team has Pathfinder on the main melee tank, which allows one cavalry unit and the Save tank to leapfrog to the second trench tile, after which my tank moves to the opponent's side's trench tile. If the opponent's positioning doesn't allow me to do that, I can still slow push through the middle with the melee tank leading.

My teams are currently arranged in order of ascending preference (bottom is my most preferred team, top is my least).

I see. Now that I think about it, I probably should have picked Eminence over Storm of Blows (guaranteed follow-up), since my issue I kept having was mobility.