What are some mechanical roles we don't often see filled?

AnonymousSpeed

10 hours ago, joevar said:

the pair up system was a neat idea where supporting character can block incoming attack, but the pair up itself is busted and easy to abuse. moreover its just straight unfair to enemies. imagine if named enemy pair up with another named enemy.. that would be nightmare

Yo, try Conquest. It does that.

10 hours ago, joevar said:

the pair up system was a neat idea where supporting character can block incoming attack, but the pair up itself is busted and easy to abuse. moreover its just straight unfair to enemies. imagine if named enemy pair up with another named enemy.. that would be nightmare

On 12/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

i will... maybe. or should i say no since it has the very thing i just describe that i dont want ? 😕

On 12/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Imuabicus said:

But how´d that work with someone like Gremory Mercedes? She is all the healing your campaign needs, but she can also thoroughly dish out. Should she then make up a slot in both categories? Or only 0.5 in either? 

it doesnt work at all.

thats why my suggestion is only suited for new game only where theres abundance of dedicated healer and support type. not be-all, end-all, with very limited sortie option like latest game where everyone is everything

I see armored mages has already been mentioned, so I'll bring up something closely related: 1-range magic. This is something I occasionally see in hacks, but rarely (if ever) in the mainline games. Magic almost always at least has 1-2 range, but there's no reason it has to be this way. (I guess the reason is that magic users have always been squishy, so in order to make 1-range magic work, you need to have something like the aforementioned armored mages.)

On 12/10/2021 at 3:42 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As a math major in my own right, I can confirm that studying math has nothing to do with math. At a certain point, you stop using numbers and have to navigate a minefield of Greek letters.

This, a mine field? Pshaw.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-6cdad48ebf289de7a50fa74f3a3780cf-lq

Reality couldn't be simpler.

4 hours ago, iridium137 said:

I see armored mages has already been mentioned, so I'll bring up something closely related: 1-range magic. This is something I occasionally see in hacks, but rarely (if ever) in the mainline games. Magic almost always at least has 1-2 range, but there's no reason it has to be this way. (I guess the reason is that magic users have always been squishy, so in order to make 1-range magic work, you need to have something like the aforementioned armored mages.)

It's kind of weird, but I want to see some kind of magic that uses the magic stat, but targets the defense stat. We sort of have the inverse with GBA magic weapons, and admitedly a magic attack that uses the magic stat but targets the defense stat wouldn't be that useful. But it'd still be weird and it would fill some niche. Mainly giving a mage a tool for taking town other mages and pegasus knights that doesn't involve making them a poorly built hybrid unit. The specific idea would be some kind of dark magic tendril/tentacle attack.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's kind of weird, but I want to see some kind of magic that uses the magic stat, but targets the defense stat. We sort of have the inverse with GBA magic weapons, and admitedly a magic attack that uses the magic stat but targets the defense stat wouldn't be that useful. But it'd still be weird and it would fill some niche. Mainly giving a mage a tool for taking town other mages and pegasus knights that doesn't involve making them a poorly built hybrid unit. The specific idea would be some kind of dark magic tendril/tentacle attack.

I actually think "Earth magic" could work this way. Basically, using magic to generate an earthquake, or to drop rocks on the target. Could be a great "anti-mage" tool, although questions like "should fliers be immune to earthquake spells" would have to be answered.

10 hours ago, iridium137 said:

1-range spells kind of exist in 3H, in the form of magical combat arts, like Lightning Axe and Soulblade. I think they can work, so long as they have enough Might to secure the one-shot (or at least finish off a chipped foe).

Incidentally, I've thought about making Light magic 1-range in a potential fangame. Basically Light would function defensively, including tomes that boost Defense and/or Resistance, alongside Nosferatu. They'd be good for keeping a unit alive through Enemy Phase, but not so great for dealing Player Phase damage.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I actually think "Earth magic" could work this way. Basically, using magic to generate an earthquake, or to drop rocks on the target. Could be a great "anti-mage" tool, although questions like "should fliers be immune to earthquake spells" would have to be answered.

I'd say yes. Make Earth -which presently finds itself intermixed into Dark and Fire- an element of hit or miss. Great against fliers, terrible against fliers. For the player, it'd be no concern unless they were trying to enemy phase on a mixed flying-grounded group, but for the player phase they have enough inventory space to carry both varieties of Earth. For the enemy, it could leave open the door to the player whether a group of Earth mages can be dealt with by fliers or not.

7 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

1-range spells kind of exist in 3H, in the form of magical combat arts, like Lightning Axe and Soulblade. I think they can work, so long as they have enough Might to secure the one-shot (or at least finish off a chipped foe).

You could also try a shotgun-like spray effect. Hit one tile to the right and left of the one targeted space. Or, should Pair-Up return and enemies be allowed to use it, the ability to target the back character at the same time they're damaging the lead. It would make "backpacks" who aren't trained and only get fielded for the stat bonuses, less of a viable proposition.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Negative rallies. Not in the "lower the stats of player units", but remember some of the weirder weapons in Fates, like Xanders Lance (+4 STR fpr enemies after combat), yeah? Like that, but the enemies around your unit lose stats - a debuffing version of Savage Blow so to say.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:08 AM, Jotari said:

Title should be "we don't often fill", not "we don't often filled". "aren't often filled" is acceptable too.

Grammar aside, Armoured Mages is a mechanical role the series has never attempted to fill. Even in Jugdral Barons are just master of all bosses. But tanky mages? Yeah that's just not a thing in Fire Emblem. Sometimes they make dark mages slightly bulkier, but a magic unit that can take physical attacks is basically unheard of in the series. We have pegasus knights as physically offensive units that are magically resistant, the opposite, magically offensive units that are defensively resistant would be great. It'd also help make the magic triangle people like despite it being useless actually useful. As the way to take down an armoured mage would with a magic user meaning magic triangle actually makes a difference as it's not always involving units with resistance so high that it makes no difference. Plus, armoured mages are just cool.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/b/bd/DFF2015_Golbez_Render.png

SoV you can give shields to priests and let them Nosferatu Tank

We don't see any sort of Trap/item-based class.

Closest we ever got was maybe "Demobard" in FE7, where you give Nils/Ninian your mines since they mostly have a nearly-empty inventory anyway and I may very well be literally the only person to really do this weird made-up subclass.

Edited by Samz707

4 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Closest we ever got was maybe "Demobard" in FE7, where you give Nils/Ninian your mines since they mostly have a nearly-empty inventory anyway and I may very well be literally the only person to really do this weird made-up subclass.

CMIIW, but trap almost always correlates to timing. so FE being FE, that cant work effectively/satisfyingly being eager to finish everything as fast as possible. do you want a trap based class go near enemy hotzone alone, then bait them into moving while the rest of the army wait? not going deep into enemy 'red" zone also wont work mostly because enemy in FE usually stay in their place, with some exception like when its against brigands or reinforcement that will advance no matter the distance (which usually comes in small number to effectively avoid traps).

if people hate the idea of turtling just to avoid getting punished by Ambush Spawn (especially people in this forum), i think they wont do it too just to wait for traps to work as intended

or you could, you know, like i've done in FPS games, throwing a Claymore trap in front of someone face in desperate attempt to kill them... XD

Edited by joevar

On 12/9/2021 at 4:50 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This appears to be what they were going for with the Mercy skill in Radiant Dawn, but it came at the least convenient time possible. I wonder, would Mercy have been better if it came earlier, on someone like Sothe or Titania?

I think RD Mercy was awful because there was no on/off switch - if you equipped the skill, the character would be completely unable to kill, and that's bad because sometimes you really want to be able to kill an enemy so it can't threaten other people. Personally I think it would have been fine to get on Elincia, because flavour-wise it really fit the moment of when she got it, but it should have been a command skill, like Subdue (or, just to prove it was possible mechanically in RD, Gamble).

On 12/10/2021 at 4:42 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

As a math major in my own right, I can confirm that studying math has nothing to do with math. At a certain point, you stop using numbers and have to navigate a minefield of Greek letters.

Why am I not surprised there are multiple other math majors in this community. 😛

Here are my wacky opinions.

A) A Buff Lord

Leif was ok in combat, but he was a Lord who buffed nearby allies. I feel that type of Lord should be present in future Fire Emblem games.

B) Summoner magic

We seen that Genny and Silque can summon mirages to combat opponents. I think I would like to see a return to it. Or at least have a necromancer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 1:23 PM, Samz707 said:

Indie game trapper knight makes good use of traps