Which would be your opinions on this reading format?

--ACE--

This is just a fun discussion thread, only to see what you guys think. I was scrolling through a P3P Walktrough on Iparchive.org, and i was quite surprised with this: 950210062_Capture_2021-12-05-19-38-08(1).png.7d3977b1bd36b0ffc0788630bad1cea7.png

Decided to experiment  this on something, just to see what would look like with some book things, like quotation marks and etc. I choose a Trails in the Sky dialogue as an test, here it is: Polish_20211209_195220436.jpg.99fa489070021cc2959e7e9c10d020ec.jpg

It turned out to be very interesting, (At least for me) and it got me wondering... 

Would you read a book, where the characters would have Mugshots/Dialogue Portraits whenever they speak? ( and each portrait would show a different expression based on the situation) Would you read that? what would be your opinion? how would you react? i want to hear everything!

But remember, I'm just asking this for fun and to see how the audience's reaction would be, I'm not saying "I'm going to do this in my book" or something, I just want to see you guys give your honest opinions, but I also want to hear how you would react if someone were to do this in a real book.

If I were to see that, it'd be quite a hit or a miss for me depending on the mugshots' styles. But if used well, I'd think it'd be a pretty cool addition!

I recall there being a Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light abridged fan fiction that was formatted like this. It was funny as hell, too.

Anyway, I think it would work pretty well, depending on the story. It can help establish a character's emotions/tone in what they're saying. Visual novels come to mind with this format.

3 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I recall there being a Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light abridged fan fiction that was formatted like this. It was funny as hell, too.

Oh man, I remember that. I tried looking for it but I seem to have lost the link. I distinctly remember Draug speaking in 3rd person.

I love this kind of stuff. In an actual book it would probably use too much space and/or the portraits would have to be too small (like in the first picture you posted) so it wouldn't be the most practical decision, so if it was some kind of online book/online novel/a Fanfiction(like Indigoasis said)/something like this, with big letters and big prtraits (like in the second photo). It would be way better and more practical. Also it would only make sense in books that have frequent (and not necessarily long, but at least not short) dialogue sequences, and since I love dialogue sequences, I would happily read it. It would be cool too if instead of stuff like "Ana stayed quiet instead if answeing" we had the portrait of Ana and her dialogue text being "....", like, some descriptions of actions could be turned into this kind of "dialogue" too.

But I probably wouldn't like if this format became the "norm" though, because I like to imagine the characters in my head in the way I want to and all this stuff. But if it was something like, say, a Fire Emblem book it would be pretty cool since the games already use this portrait thing anyway. To be honest, there should be more books like this, as far as I know there isn't any famous book following this format, it would be an interesting read.

This is a fairly common style for LPs, for a couple of relatively recent examples on this site

Uses it for conversations involving the LPs side story OCs or for instance

Or like in this classic Saint Rubenio ironman, where its used to reduce the amount of screenshots wasted on the main story (and makes it easier to interjects gags, comments, or OC sidestory stuff.)

Seeing as I already read LPs that uses this style, so I wouldn't mind seeing it in a fanfic, but it does give the work a distinctly video-game feel to the experience, as it is mimicking one of the classic ways of presenting a text heavy story in older JRPGs.

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is a fairly common style for LPs, for a couple of relatively recent examples on this site

Why did the thumbnail have to be of Smoy... Why...

Anyways, yes, I personally do favor that method of presentation in screenshot LPs, but it may be odd for a conventional book to do something like that. I'm not too sure about what I think of it, but it's an interesting concept, at least!

10 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Anyway, I think it would work pretty well, depending on the story. It can help establish a character's emotions/tone in what they're saying. Visual novels come to mind with this format.

You guessed it! I used the word "Book" in the post, but in my opinion, this would be perfect for Light-Novels, imagine a My Hero Academia novel with mugshots, drawn by Horikoshi himself!