AoE spells in FE

BernieBearSimp

I think it'd be something worth trying out for FE, since it could add complexity to enemy poistioning or increase diversity in magic types, not to mention making chapter with high enemy desnity a lot better.

Something interesting one could do with that idea is "paired" AoE attacks, where multiple mages could combine to make a big AoE spell. I personally think something like that would be really nice to have in an FE4 remake, but it's a concept I'd like to see regardless.

My only concern with it is how things like hit/damage will be conveyed to the player. TH's AoE attacks weren't very well-telegraphed to the player in terms of damage done, so I wonder how they'd try to improve on that method of display.

Edited by Benice

It sounds interesting, but at the same time I would guess player aoe would be rather limited and would have to be properly defined in it´s purpose - damaging aoe, dot-aoe, crippling-aoe, debuffing aoe, etc. The TH variant of aoe seems a tad powerful, depending on how available it is.

Alternatively, utility aoe. Fliers? Take this surprising and locally resctricted tornado. Footies? Swamp ´em. 

I think it'd be interesting. In Radient Dawn, some of the last few bosses do attacks that hurt everyone in range, which is mostly like an AoE attack in 3H. Gaiden/SoV had quake, which hurt everyone. I think it can be used to give some challenge to the map as a whole, and it presents whomever is using it as a larger threat. So yes, I think AoE attacks should be implemented more often. Better than standing in one tile waiting to get crit'd in one shot to end the map anti-climatically.

I was thinking of having where spells have one of three types of ratings for Area (the AoE):

Area 1 - Single-target
Area 2 - 1-cell radius (up to 5 targets)
Area 3 - 2-cell radius (up to 13 targets)

However, my proposed stipulations are that AoE spells cannot be used to counterattack on the opposite phase, but do not trigger counterattacks from enemies either. Furthermore, they'd be a significant bit heavier, and/or simply unable to double-attack altogether. Oh, and have friendly fire too.

Edited by BernieBearSimp

14 hours ago, BernieBearSimp said:

I was thinking of having where spells have one of three types of ratings for Area (the AoE):

Area 1 - Single-target

However, my proposed stipulations are that AoE spells cannot be used to counterattack on the opposite phase, but do not trigger counterattacks from enemies either. Furthermore, they'd be a significant bit heavier, and/or simply unable to double-attack altogether. Oh, and have friendly fire too.

I mean, these basically sound like gambits in Three Houses, and as someone mentioned above, gambits are basically AoE attacks. Gambits can only be used on player phase, gambits don't counter, and enemies cannot counter during a gambit. The only thing that's missing from 3H gambits from this list is weight and friendly fire.

Siege tomes also have an AoE effect, like Meteor. But I'm not sure if Bolting has an AoE effect.

Edited by LJ_Tenma

short answer YES it should.

dont want to think how it would be balanced in terms of FE gameplay, but it should start thinking to add that. the more extravagant a highest-tier spell look like in modern FE game, the more it doesnt make sense it cant attack more than one square

6 hours ago, BernieBearSimp said:

Area 1 - Single-target

basically similar to Super robot wars AoE attack yes? on its own, it can serve to soften up multiple enemies, but with buff it could become mass cleaner lol

15 minutes ago, joevar said:

short answer YES it should.

dont want to think how it would be balanced in terms of FE gameplay, but it should start thinking to add that. the more extravagant a highest-tier spell look like in modern FE game, the more it doesnt make sense it cant attack more than one square

basically similar to Super robot wars AoE attack yes? on its own, it can serve to soften up multiple enemies, but with buff it could become mass cleaner lol

I was more thinking akin to spells in Shining Force, actually.