More spells in FE?

BernieBearSimp

I can't believe it's not a spinoff thread!

But seriously, Fates had Freeze, Enfeeble, and Entrap. 3H only got the warp spells and some healing. Luna ignores Res, Dark Spikes is anti-cav, Bohr is "hp to one," and there's another spell that lowers an stat. And the only thing that makes this fall apart is that there's only 3 or 4 people who can use these spells out of an cast out of 30+ people. 

Would be kind of nice if there was a spell that scares units away, though.

sleep silence berserk as spell would be too OP in some scenario. since we're talking spell without staves which automatically means offense class that have more stat to make it too effective, or too easy to execute/spam depending how the magic system work

having more option is always nice but isnt the the entire spell list in FE history quite large already? bringing back some spells that absent in latest entry seems enough imo than adding more which you may not even have the opportunity to use

3 hours ago, BernieBearSimp said:

So basically Expel; banishes Undead enemies but voids EXP other than that gained from the spell. I was personally thinking of bringing Sleep, Silence, and Berserk together again.

i can already imagine someone making a meme/challenge run with only spamming those spell

Spoiler

it will be GBA FE (FE6 hard mode especially) trouble all over again, with those spell range scale with magic. except now its  enemies  on the receiving end lol

Edited by joevar

8 hours ago, joevar said:

sleep silence berserk as spell would be too OP in some scenario. since we're talking spell without staves which automatically means offense class that have more stat to make it too effective, or too easy to execute/spam depending how the magic system work

Probably would depend on their range too. Maybe Rank C at minimum, 3 to 5 uses per map, and a range of 1-5. Base Hit of 65 I guess

Edited by BernieBearSimp

5 hours ago, joevar said:

having more option is always nice but isnt the the entire spell list in FE history quite large already? bringing back some spells that absent in latest entry seems enough imo than adding more which you may not even have the opportunity to use

i can already imagine someone making a meme/challenge run with only spamming those spell

Reveal hidden contents

it will be GBA FE (FE6 hard mode especially) trouble all over again, with those spell range scale with magic. except now its  enemies  on the receiving end lol

Thracia laughs in the face of the notion that anything could be too OP.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Thracia laughs in the face of the notion that anything could be too OP.

hmm didnt play Thracia. so i guess its alright? (become too OP)

not that i really hate being OP actually, as long as it can be fun and not for the majority of the game.

7 hours ago, BernieBearSimp said:

Probably would depend on their range too. Maybe Rank C at minimum, 3 to 5 uses per map, and a range of 1-5. Base Hit of 65 I guess

Base hit 65 can be solved easily. 3 uses per map is okay i guess as long as its whole army cap, even if the spell availability comes with 5 chapter left of the game, its still 15 uses total which higher than most FE (i think?).

the range will be the decisive factor, need to be shorter imo. So it became high risk, with uncertain high reward. what with some high lvl FE player in here hate the idea of  turtle-ing (not me). so now you could easily cast berserk many times but you're still at risk of being targeted randomly by having to move inside enemy zone.

54 minutes ago, joevar said:

Base hit 65 can be solved easily. 3 uses per map is okay i guess as long as its whole army cap, even if the spell availability comes with 5 chapter left of the game, its still 15 uses total which higher than most FE (i think?).

the range will be the decisive factor, need to be shorter imo. So it became high risk, with uncertain high reward. what with some high lvl FE player in here hate the idea of  turtle-ing (not me). so now you could easily cast berserk many times but you're still at risk of being targeted randomly by having to move inside enemy zone.

Is a range of 1-5 good then? It wouldn’t be like past games where it was Physic’s range, let alone RD’s Elsleep and Elsilence lmao

One thing that's been made plainly apparent to me is that the real magical firepower lies not in tomes, but in staves. So a concept I plan to use in my SRPG Studio game is, instead of dividing offensive magic into light, anima and dark and then just having "staves", there'd be the opposite: one variety of combat magic that every magical class has, and three varieties of staves, where each school of magic gets one. Life, time and space, for healing, dancing/again, and warping respectively. That'd let staves be as crazy and fun as they are in, say, Thracia, without making a single staff user quite the terrifying omnitool menace they are in that game.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 2:52 AM, Alastor15243 said:

One thing that's been made plainly apparent to me is that the real magical firepower lies not in tomes, but in staves. So a concept I plan to use in my SRPG Studio game is, instead of dividing offensive magic into light, anima and dark and then just having "staves", there'd be the opposite: one variety of combat magic that every magical class has, and three varieties of staves, where each school of magic gets one. Life, time and space, for healing, dancing/again, and warping respectively. That'd let staves be as crazy and fun as they are in, say, Thracia, without making a single staff user quite the terrifying omnitool menace they are in that game.

I like this idea! Allows for staff utility to be spread among a bunch of classes.

One I've thought of is "subtypes" of staves. Like how Fates introduced Festals, which have range. Or staves that affect the enemy can be their own sub-category. The fangame "Staff of Ages" made it so only some classes (i.e. Priests, not Troubadours) could use Festals. I think there's potential in a weapon system with relatively few weapon types, but each one is broken into subtypes with accessibility that varies by class.

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, Armchair General said:

\Would be kind of nice if there was a spell that scares units away, though.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, BernieBearSimp said:

So basically Expel; banishes Undead enemies but voids EXP other than that gained from the spell. I was personally thinking of bringing Sleep, Silence, and Berserk together again.

A "fear" spell shouldn't work like expel. It should override all other AI behaviors of the unit and make them run away from your dudes.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:45 PM, BernieBearSimp said:

Is a range of 1-5 good then? It wouldn’t be like past games where it was Physic’s range, let alone RD’s Elsleep and Elsilence lmao

Now, I like Berserk a lot. It's a very fun staff. However, the real use of berserk is turning an enemy hero in the back-half of the map into a temp worker for you. Giving it 1-5 range would hamper its usefulness severely- the real fun and merit of berserk is using on an enemy with only other enemies to target.

They could always add spells that let you make trap tiles.

Like the fire tiles in FE7 (periodically becoming dangerous) or like a mine in FE7/The Damaging tile in Aether Raids in FEH.

Or a magic spell version of the Light Rune.

Edited by Samz707

On 3/2/2022 at 1:56 AM, drattakbowser said:

Hum...

- Earth

- Fire

- Water

- Grass

- Electric

- Ice

- Steel

- Wind

- Dark

- Light

I be happy with those 10 elements.

pokemon

On 3/3/2022 at 5:02 AM, Samz707 said:

Like the fire tiles in FE7 (periodically becoming dangerous) or like a mine in FE7/The Damaging tile in Aether Raids in FEH.

Or a magic spell version of the Light Rune.

1 tile per spell? on open field? on maps where enemy wait for you?

3 hours ago, joevar said:

1 tile per spell? on open field? on maps where enemy wait for you?

You can use enemy range to bait them into running into your mine as well as for enemies who aporoach you anyway. (Or blocking tiles you need to defend.)