Gamefaqs has some of the most corrupt modding I’ve ever seen

RLR_FYE

So I’m on gamefaqs Politics board and I decided I wanted to bring up an issue that upset me on the board.

Basically I brought up my concern about how violence against women campaigns can create a blind spot where LGBT people are concerned because when you enforce a male perpetrated violence narrative, the female perpetrators and male victims get unequal treatment and this is a problem in relationships where you don’t need a statistics study to make the claim that 100% of the victims are male OR 100% of the perpetrators as female. Consequently I advocate for more gender neutral campaigns concerning violence. 

In response someone called me a virtue signaling straight conservative man who didn’t actually care about LGBT people. There’s just one problem… I’m not straight or conservative.

I found the idea that someone would try and weaponize heterosexuality to discredit my opinion disturbing so I basically made a post saying that it wasn’t right because it was heterophobic. 

I mean what else do you call presuming beliefs of behaviors of someone in a discriminatory fashion because they’re straight? 

People took issue with my use of the term as trolling and some people doubled down and accused me of lying about my sexual orientation to bolster my credibility.

I tried to report the people doing this for bullying and I ended up being suspended because the moderators sided with the people doing the bullying.

I find it absolutely incredible that a website as large and famous as gamefaqs would side with blatant bullies. 

Engaging with political talk on the internet will always have issues. The basis of politics is arguing for one point of view over the other at the end of the day, and some people will be blatantly bias for their point of view. It's pretty rough when you think an organization will try to be neutral and not be biased.

3 hours ago, RLR_FYE said:

So I’m on gamefaqs Politics board and I decided I wanted to bring up an issue that upset me on the board.

Basically I brought up my concern about how violence against women campaigns can create a blind spot where LGBT people are concerned because when you enforce a male perpetrated violence narrative, the female perpetrators and male victims get unequal treatment and this is a problem in relationships where you don’t need a statistics study to make the claim that 100% of the victims are male OR 100% of the perpetrators as female. Consequently I advocate for more gender neutral campaigns concerning violence. 

In response someone called me a virtue signaling straight conservative man who didn’t actually care about LGBT people. There’s just one problem… I’m not straight or conservative.

I found the idea that someone would try and weaponize heterosexuality to discredit my opinion disturbing so I basically made a post saying that it wasn’t right because it was heterophobic. 

I mean what else do you call presuming beliefs of behaviors of someone in a discriminatory fashion because they’re straight? 

People took issue with my use of the term as trolling and some people doubled down and accused me of lying about my sexual orientation to bolster my credibility.

I tried to report the people doing this for bullying and I ended up being suspended because the moderators sided with the people doing the bullying.

I find it absolutely incredible that a website as large and famous as gamefaqs would side with blatant bullies.

in another site , doing the opposite of what you did can also get you flagged/suspended/banned. yes im serious and very sure of that. both end of spectrum exist, you just happen to hit the wrong landmine

the point is, just accept it thats how the internet is when talking sensitive issues. the website/forum size doesnt really matter in that regard (i mean, the comment section ofc)

Edited by joevar

Mob action does a lot to frame an issue a certain way. After all, these ten people ganging up on the one guy can't all be out of line right? You can't accurately gauge the tone or intent of a username the way you can a person in a real life conversation, and moderators are working under the same limitation. There's no vow of impartiality. A mod has a duty to investigate, but that person can have bad days just like anybody else. In a smaller community, some people become mods the same way a twitch streamer selects mods: "Hey, you've been around a while, do something about these bots?". Pretty much how I became a mod once. Typically the best course of action is to punish everybody involved in an incident for letting things get out of hand. What's more important is that users show each other a baseline of respect, rather than come to an agreement about whatever's got their knickers in a twist.

Anyway, running to another forum to complain about your problems is a bad look. I'm sorry that you're upset, but getting put on blast by a bunch of randoms is no big deal at the end of the day. They don't know you, and only the super freaks have an inclination towards remembering names from a single incident. You should be okay posting there again.

12 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Typically the best course of action is to punish everybody involved in an incident for letting things get out of hand.

But I doubt if punishing everyone who posted in the thread is the right move though.

For all we know, the discussion could have been civil at one point.

28 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

But I doubt if punishing everyone who posted in the thread is the right move though.

For all we know, the discussion could have been civil at one point.

meh.

(glances to confirm this isn't FFTF), okay obviously when I said "everybody involved in an incident", I didn't mean everybody that posted before and since as well. I'm just pointing out that the ban hammer is more of a ban shotgun. If you expect mods to deliberate precise sentencing for individual users like an appointed judge, you'd better be prepared to pay them a judge's salary. And either way, all of us could use a reminder that there's a person on the other end of the profile picture as we sit in time out. Posting with what you think are good intentions can escalate a situation that didn't need to become a thing.

Maybe the moderation sucks because "reading the rules before posting" is hard.  Or maybe it actually sucks.  Regardless, mods are generally happier when people don't break the rules.