Create a Support Conversation Outline

AnonymousSpeed

I would recommend it be three parts, four if there's an S support, because I am a man of tradition and culture.

To be more specific about what I'm asking, we all know that supports come in levels, typically achieved by linearly ordered conversations. Your mission here is simply to come up with a one sentence descriptor of what each conversation is about. The hypothetical conversation can be between pre-existing characters or purely hypothetical ones. The idea here is simply to bounce around ideas for narrative progression, with conflict and resolution and what not. A simple list of the beats. Here's an example:

• C:  Two characters hate each other.
  • B: One of them attempts to reconcile by finding something they both like, which fails.
  • A: The two find out they hate the same thing, which is true friendship.

I'm honestly not sure which subforum this goes into.  I'll leave it here for now, but it may end up getting moved.  Nor do I really want to write something, since I prefer something more specific rather than something that sounds like writing homework.

I've done a couple C-A/C-S supports, but I'm definitely a fan of allowing more support conversations per chain than just three. (THANK YOU THREE HOUSES!!) I'll follow most of the guidelines, but I also want to note that I have written out the full supports for the ones below. These don't always have a major conflict or major resolution though, and several require a little bit (or in one case, a lot) of context.

Aversa x Chrom - In this chain, Aversa has "defected" during the chapter Maribelle and Ricken escape Gangrel's grasp. The other Shepherds don't trust her and believe she's a spy (which she obviously is), but Chrom believes in her desire to repent. 

C-Support: Aversa attempts to seduce Chrom, but the conversation gets muddled. They eventually head to the sparring grounds. 

B-Support: Chrom and Aversa discuss war and a little of Aversa's past. 

A-Support: After sparring, Chrom and Aversa talk about how much of a flirt the latter can be; the two then decide to take a soak in a lake. 

S-Support: Chrom proposes to Aversa - she declines the ring but decides to stay as Chrom's paramour for as long as she can. 

There is dialogue after Gangrel is defeated about Aversa disappearing, and she and Chrom will have a slightly extended scene during Chapter 13 if this route is taken. 

Hector x Selena (FE8) - In this chain, Selena was found close to death in a new world, and after being nursed to health by some merchants, she has joined Eliwood, Hector, and Lyn on their journey. 

C-Support: Hector tries to guess where in Ostia Selena is from. 

B-Support: Selena explains her past. 

A-Support: Hector promises to help Selena find a new home, and Hector reminds Selena of a lost love. 

Epilogue: Hector and Selena traveled throughout the villages before returning to the Ostian capital. When Hector returned to take his place as Margrave, Selena was by his side, carrying their infant daughter. While the new Margrave has openly called Selena his wife and "his fluorspar," the two have never forgotten her promise to be beholden to no man or woman again. In time Selena disappeared. However, a mysterious woman was said to grace the halls once every moon.

Hector x Ursula - In which Ursula is saved and recruited after being defeated and later almost killed by her own employers.

C-Support: Ursula tries to deliver a report to Hector, but he already possesses the information and thinks nothing of its messenger. 

B-Support: Ursula, fed up, asks Hector what his deal is. Hector gladly explains it.

A-Support: Ursula rips apart the facade of nobility, and swears to allegiance to Hector, promising to be his knife. 

Epilogue: After the war, Ursula soon became Hector's sword. The Marquise of Ostia trusted her with more and more things, until he eventually entrusted Ursula with his heart. Ursula would change in time as well, growing to appreciate and even believe Hector and his friend's ideals, soon welcoming the life she and her love brought into this world.

Cynthia x Saizo - Cynthia in Fateslandia. That's really it. 

C-Support: Cynthia challenges Saizo to a duel and tries to use the Rasengan a special technique on him (taught to her by one Odin Dark). She fails miserably. 

B-Support: Cynthia asks Saizo to tell her about ninjas in Hoshido and his line of work - Saizo obliges and crushes her fantasies of ninjas. 

A-Support: Cynthia talks about her past and her desire to be a hero. Cynthia affirms that she still thinks Saizo is cool, and Saizo validates Cynthia's desire to be a hero. 

S-Support: Saizo takes Cynthia to his ninja village home in order to propose and reveal that not all of Cynthia's fanciful ideas of ninjas are wrong. 

Azura and Saul - This support takes place in an alternate version of Three Houses, so not in Fateslandia or Elibe. In this world, Azura is the wife of Laslow and is the mother of Soleil, Shigure, and Saul. Laslow was a vassal of King Lambert, and Soleil was a childhood friend of Dimitri, Felix, Ingrid, and Sylvain. (Making them a full Five-Man Band of friends.) However, shortly after Saul's birth, Azura suffered a breakdown due to Post-Partum Depression and fled back to her homeland with Shigure, the one child she could still relate to. Soleil and Saul were left with Laslow...until the Tragedy of Duscur happened, and their father was killed. Their lands were quickly taken, and Soleil and Saul were left destitute, homeless, and roaming. Soleil eventually joined a band of mercenaries, and Saul dedicated his life to the church. Five years have passed, and Azura has come to Garrag Mach in order to train the winner of the White Heron contest. Meanwhile, Soleil has enrolled as a student, and Saul is a priest(in-training) at the monastery. Out of all of the supports that I've written, this is one of my favorites. 

C-Support: Saul flirts with Azura without knowing who she is. Azura figures out who he might be at the end of the chain. 

B-Support: Saul stumbles upon Azura dancing and offers to dance with her; Azura refuses, missing (or refusing to acknowledge) the subtext of Saul wanting to bond with his mother. 

A-Support: Azura explains her story as well as her regrets and failures as a mother to Saul via confession "for a friend"; Saul in turn tells his own story and ultimately forgives his mother, also in the way of a "story of a friend." The two go out to tea at the end. 

Seth x Marisa - 

C-Support: Marisa thinks that Seth is strong, and they spar with swords. 

B-Support: Seth and Marisa talk a little about honor, and then spar with lances. 

A-Support: Marisa decides to train with lances in Renais, and Seth decides to make it an equal deal by agreeing to master his swordsmanship with Gerrik's Mercenaries after Marisa completes her time in Renais. 

Epilogue: True to her word, Marisa spent time in Renais, training to use lances with Seth, Ephraim, and the rest of the knights of Renais. She quickly grew to a master in her own right. True to his word, Seth took a leave of absence from his role as a General in order to travel with Gerik's Mercenaries. His skill with a sword increased greatly, as did his love for Marisa. In the fields of battle, the two were said to be wed. Eventually both returned to Renais, where Marisa was knighted and soon became a general, despite the two's growing family. Seth and Marisa were soon known as the "Sunset Generals," and were rarely seen apart.

Sylvain/Bernadetta/Hilda  - I'm breaking the rules and adding in a Trio Support I created (muwahahah!). This isn't an OT3, although I do have one or two of those lying around. This all happens during Part 1 of 3H. 

C-Support: Marianne finds Hilda glamming up a book cover she found in the library; Marianne then accidentally runs into Bernadetta, who runs off screaming. Sylvain enters, confirms the book is Bernie's, and advises Hilda and Marianne on how to return it to their classmate without stressing her out too much. 

B-Support: Sylvain, Hilda, and Marianne run into Bernadetta being demeaned by some NPC classmates who had found her book and dislike it (to put it nicely). The three defend Bernadetta and challenge the other students to a duel.* 

A-Support: A little while after the fight, Sylvain checks up on the girls to make sure the NPC classmates aren't bothering them. He discovers that Hilda roped Marianne and Bernie into reading the latter's story to the children in the village outside Garrag Mach. Sylvain wishes them luck and then runs off to a date. We close on Marianne and Bernadetta finishing the story and agreeing to read more of Bernie's stories to the children in the future. 

*I'm cheating a little here also. All of my Trio Supports have pre-battle dialogue and post-battle dialogue. I didn't include it here, but just note that in my head - and in the written outlines - it does exist. 

C. Character (1) eats a sandwich of unknown provenance. Character (2) wonders where their sandwich went.

B. (2) asks everyone about who ate their sandwich. (1), oblivious to their own crime, joins the search.

A. (1) convinces (2) that the search for their sandwich is a fruitless endeavor. Then (1) reveals a detail that only the true culprit would know, leaving (2) dumbfounded.

S. (1) makes a sandwich for (2) to apologize for their insensitivity. It's made with Ring Bologna, which (2) interprets as a marriage proposal, and accepts.

Maybe more specific than what you wanted, but I had fun with it.

16 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

C. Character (1) eats a sandwich of unknown provenance. Character (2) wonders where their sandwich went.

B. (2) asks everyone about who ate their sandwich. (1), oblivious to their own crime, joins the search.

A. (1) convinces (2) that the search for their sandwich is a fruitless endeavor. Then (1) reveals a detail that only the true culprit would know, leaving (2) dumbfounded.

S. (1) makes a sandwich for (2) to apologize for their insensitivity. It's made with Ring Bologna, which (2) interprets as a marriage proposal, and accepts.

Maybe more specific than what you wanted, but I had fun with it.

What Raphael and Ingrid's support should have been! 🤣🤣🤣

• C. The fiance tries to talk with his bride-to-be, but things get awkward quit
  • B. To clear the air, the pair talk about their real feelings about the engagement
  • A. Having talked about things, they decide to break off their engagement and remain friends instead 

Just a basic idea I had for how a support like this could go, though it can definetly be improved on.

8 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Hector x Ursula - In which Ursula is saved and recruited after being defeated and later almost killed by her own employers.

yes please. make it an actual fanfic 🤗

4 hours ago, Metal Flash said:
  • B. To clear the air, the pair talk about their real feelings about the engagement
  • A. Having talked about things, they decide to break off their engagement and remain friends instead 

Just a basic idea I had for how a support like this could go, though it can definetly be improved on.

been thinking for a while about making an example of "reverse progress" in support. guess you beat me to it

• C. Two longtime friends (who adventure together prior to joining an army) having a debate. A is known to be more skilled than B in their adventure, so A complaint why B keep getting more important task. and ask for a duel to prove his skill
  • B. The two fought with A losing, because B forgot to hide his true skill like usual for some reason. A cant accept it and demand to get difficult task in next skirmish
  • A. A failed in his task and make things difficult while B saves the day. A, shocked by that and break friendship with B because he thought B was deceiving him about his strength this whole time. and A decide to train alone from then on. never with his friend who went easy with him anymore

bonus ending: the two friends never travel together again after the war and each become lone wolf that gets famous for different reasons

6 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Hmm...Constance is engaged to Sylvain. (I was originally thinking Ingrid and either Sylvain or Felix, but I like the history they already have.)

1 hour ago, joevar said:
  • C. Two longtime friends (who adventure together prior to joining an army) having a debate. A is known to be more skilled than B in their adventure, so A complaint why B keep getting more important task. and ask for a duel to prove his skill
  • B. The two fought with A losing, because B forgot to hide his true skill like usual for some reason. A cant accept it and demand to get difficult task in next skirmish
  • A. A failed in his task and make things difficult while B saves the day. A, shocked by that and break friendship with B because he thought B was deceiving him about his strength this whole time. and A decide to train alone from then on. never with his friend who went easy with him anymore

Reverse Sylvain and Felix, in which Felix loses because he forgot Sylvain is 1. actually personable and thus gets harder tasks, and 2) has crest-granted magic (despite both having a hidden ability in the art, and Felix having better skills). 

1 hour ago, joevar said:

yes please. make it an actual fanfic 🤗

I have! Or rather, I made it an actual support conversation. It's certainly not one of my better ones, but you can read all of the supports I've written here.  I have/had more planned, but life and a little writing block got in the way... 

So yeah, sorry, there's no real fanfic planned for these, but I welcome any and all headcanons or fanfics based off of the ideas! 

Edited by Use the Falchion

C: The two characters are engaged as part of a prearranged marriage, they (awkwardly) meet formally for the first time.

B: The two characters are stiff and formal, they struggle in vain to find any common interests

A: The two characters remain formal with each other, but discover they do share a common interest in romance stories which breaks the facade of politeness.

S: The two characters realize that, while they like each other, they actually don't want to marry each other, and since the war is almost over without them needing to, they break the engagement on good terms.

These two characters have a paired ending by default, in which they live relatively boring lives. To get the unpaired ending you need to have them reach S support (or kill one of them).

7 hours ago, joevar said:

been thinking for a while about making an example of "reverse progress" in support. guess you beat me to it

bonus ending: the two friends never travel together again after the war and each become lone wolf that gets famous for different reasons

I remember either Jotari or Etrurian Emperor brought up this idea in a different thread, so I wanted to give it a shot. There are several ways to have a pair go backwards during their support, though it would probably require some really good writing to work well.

I like this idea, but I feel like there would be complaints that person A broke off their friendship because of something so minor.

5 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Hmm...Constance is engaged to Sylvain. (I was originally thinking Ingrid and either Sylvain or Felix, but I like the history they already have.)

Now I am just imagening a support where they try to out-ham each other until they decide to call of the engagment after they realize they can`t stand each other. 

Or maybe Hilda is engaged to Sylvain, but calls off the match after she deicdes she doesn`t want him for a husband.

28 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

I remember either Jotari or Etrurian Emperor brought up this idea in a different thread, so I wanted to give it a shot. There are several ways to have a pair go backwards during their support, though it would probably require some really good writing to work well.

I like this idea, but I feel like there would be complaints that person A broke off their friendship because of something so minor.

Now I am just imagening a support where they try to out-ham each other until they decide to call of the engagment after they realize they can`t stand each other. 

Or maybe Hilda is engaged to Sylvain, but calls off the match after she deicdes she doesn`t want him for a husband.

I think I just brought it up in this thread too XD

12 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Oh damnit. I just noticed you already mentioned it in this thread. Welp, that's what I get for not bothering to read through other people's opinions first.

Edited by Jotari

Given all these outlines involving two people already in an arranged marriage, I thought I would write one:

(C) Two characters, who were arranged to be married before the war but have never met until now, meet each other for the first time. They have no idea that the other person is their fiancée, and the conversation ends with character 1 remembering to introduce themselves before saying goodbye... and only bothering to say their first name, leaving character 2 a little suspicious but completely unsure.

(B) The two of them meet again, still unaware that their talking to their betrothed. They bond over various things while remaining completely oblivious.

(A) They talk about what they want to do after the conflict is over. Character 2 mentions that they hope to meet their betrothed and they admit that they're in an arranged marriage. Character 1 says something along the lines of, "What a coincidence!" and they share how they feel about their respective engagements and give each other some advice. They end the conversation by saying goodbye while wishing each other well in their respective engagements.

…Oh, and their paired ending has them go to where they're supposed to meet their betrothed and recognize each other in complete shock, leaving them wondering how they didn't figure it out sooner.

Edited by vanguard333

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Oh damnit. I just noticed you already mentioned it in this thread. Welp, that's what I get for not bothering to read through other people's opinions first.

It`s fine, the same concept can have different ways of being executed. vanguard333 above me proves that nicely.

Honestly it feels like Valentia could've given us more support pairings, especially those with with the Archanean visitors with the Valentian Regulars. I'm sure Palla, Catria and Est would have great stories to tell and Genny sure could use material in her stories that she writes.

Est x Genny: Genny needs new material in her new story and a certain pink-haired pegasus knight has sparked something in Genny's brain.

C Support: Genny goes "Eeekkk!!!" when the outgoing Est calls out to her. Meanwhile, Genny has the basis for her main protagonist of her new book.

B Support: A more quieter Est manages to strike Genny in conversation and they discuss stories, books and knights.

A Support: Things get somber as Genny listens to Est's backstory and reasons for being a knight. Genny feels chilled as the healer listens to Est's circumstances, stuff about killing dudes for the bad guys as her friend Maria was locked in a cage somewhere and then transitions to Est talking about wanting normal life. Genny hugs Est.

Seems a lot of people are going with subversive supports, which is unsurprising when you kind of need established characters to write a one sentence summary of a support (though skne are using existing characters). So here's the ultimate subversive support.

C support: The two characters decide to spar and the canonically stronger one straight up kills the other character by accident. They are dead and remain so for the rest if the game.

Yes, everyone would hate it,  and I would find that hilarious. And it wouldn't even be that out of place in a Thracia remake XD

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

ye, thats the thing, it requires really good writing. and its easy to find fault in there. and about my idea im sure you get it, the falling off between two friends, but ofc the "reason" could be changed with something more believable. or need more set up in the background.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

…Oh, and their paired ending has them go to where they're supposed to meet their betrothed and recognize each other in complete shock, leaving them wondering how they didn't figure it out sooner.

feels like this is straight out of shoujo (young women) manga plot. i like it actually.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

C support: The two characters decide to spar and the canonically stronger one straight up kills the other character by accident. They are dead and remain so for the rest if the game.

LOL. that would be landmine support rather than subversive. and for added shenanigan, theres actually a secret/specific method that can avoid their death. and the game dont tell it ala FE6 gaiden/ GBA secret shop

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there already a support between two drinking buddy in FE? maybe it tells a story about them finding new/secret recipe to drink. this could go in comedy direction too, where they found/drink something else. instead of a famous wine, they drink a weird concoction that gives weird effect (the effect could last or become skill in-game battle too XD). i dont know how to write it in 3 part tho.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yes, everyone would hate it,  and I would find that hilarious. And it wouldn't even be that out of place in a Thracia remake XD

Shannan kills Mareeta please.

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

This is sort of like Dorcas and Vaida, but better. Though at the same time, I can't help but feel like this joke would work better for people who couldn't support- they get married after failing to realize they were even in the same army for a year and never talking to each other that entire time.

35 minutes ago, joevar said:

is there already a support between two drinking buddy in FE? maybe it tells a story about them finding new/secret recipe to drink. this could go in comedy direction too, where they found/drink something else. instead of a famous wine, they drink a weird concoction that gives weird effect (the effect could last or become skill in-game battle too XD). i dont know how to write it in 3 part tho.

• C- A pirate and a warrior catch each other trying to raid the alcohol stash and share a drink. They share their mutual desire to try the Ancient Ale of Shanty Pete, a cocktail made of extremely rare ingredients such as bright blue wolfsbane, hundred-year-old rum, and a lemon.
  • B- One brings the wolfsbane and the other brings the rum, but they can't find the lemon. The support consists of a small misadventure to steal a lemon, and then they prepare and drink Shanty Pete's favorite beverage.
  • A- The two cannot remember anything. Every barrel in the barracks has been smashed, all the fish bowls turned over, and someone puked in every helmet in the armory. Every private house and tailor in a four mile radius was broken into and female undergarments have been thrown onto every roof in the same area. The two agree they must secure the ingredients to make this again.
Edited by AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, joevar said:

feels like this is straight out of shoujo (young women) manga plot. i like it actually.

I can honestly say that that's coincidental; I've never read that kind of manga (or indeed any manga for that matter), and though I have watched anime, it's mostly battle shonen anime.

Thanks for saying you like it.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

This is sort of like Dorcas and Vaida, but better. Though at the same time, I can't help but feel like this joke would work better for people who couldn't support- they get married after failing to realize they were even in the same army for a year and never talking to each other that entire time.

That could also work, but I think, in order for that version of the joke to work, it would have to be established at some point before the ending that the two of them never talk to each other that entire time. Characters never supporting doesn't inherently mean they never interact, after all.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Seems a lot of people are going with subversive supports, which is unsurprising when you kind of need established characters to write a one sentence summary of a support (though skne are using existing characters). So here's the ultimate subversive support.

Count me as one of those people, words cannot describe how much I hate this. It almost feels like something Kaga would do, almost

C-Support: Character A goes to check on Character B, but sees them checking on another character; once Character B is free, Character A asks if they are alright, and continues about their day. 

B-Support: Character A meets character B again. The two commiserate over being the "Team Parents" of the group, and how stressful it can be. Character B asks if Character A is willing to take a night off and have a little fun, proving that they can be "fun people too." Character A agrees. 

A-Support: Characters A and B are scolded for their rowdy behavior and partying the night before (ideally by the character who Character B checked up on in the C-Support). The two characters didn't like the scolding, but admit it was sort of fun being the "children" of the team for a while and agree to go out again sometime soon.