Just got a non-crit triangle attack...

Cysx

Anyone knows what that's about? I have video footage too if needed.

Edit: Added the video. Sorry that I meander a little, this is part of me recording every boss being triangled to death, and I wanted to keep track of the numbers. I hit the record button completely unaware that this would/could happen.

image.png.4e4c58b40b50be2a437eacce1f84988c.png

(Just to not bloat the thread with images, this alone shows it because with the crit animation taking place normally, the main unit strikes later. Here it didn't happen and I dealt only 20 damage)

Edited by Cysx

FE6's RNG formula is slightly off in that it can generate 100s when it's only supposed to roll 0-99. You probably had a 100 on queue lined up with the crit check.

39 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

FE6's RNG formula is slightly off in that it can generate 100s when it's only supposed to roll 0-99. You probably had a 100 on queue lined up with the crit check.

I've heard of that. Interesting that triangle attacks still burn at least one rn when by design there's nothing random about them. Has anyone ever had one miss? You'd need two 100s in a row, right?
Edit: just to be clear, I mean having a miss on record.

In any case, I guess you're right. I can't really think of anything else, and manually burning rns did change the result.

Tell you what, I'll just put the video in the op, it's funny to look at if nothing else. I just didn't want to blow this out of proportion just in case the explanation was common knowledge.

Edited by Cysx

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

I've heard of that. Interesting that triangle attacks still burn at least one rn when by design there's nothing random about them. Has anyone ever had one miss? You'd need two 100s in a row, right?

Crits only use 1 RN, so seeing an 100% crit fail is more likely (something like 1/16 of a percent or something). To miss a 100% hit attack you would need 2 in a row, which is something along the lines of 1 in 3-4 million chance of happening. I seem to remember Mekkkah talking about the bug before, and eventually someone was willing to wait for the roughly 1 1/2 hours it took for an optimized algorithm to burn through over 5 million RNs to find a pair of 100 to get this footage

32 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Crits only use 1 RN, so seeing an 100% crit fail is more likely (something like 1/16 of a percent or something). To miss a 100% hit attack you would need 2 in a row, which is something along the lines of 1 in 3-4 million chance of happening. I seem to remember Mekkkah talking about the bug before, and eventually someone was willing to wait for the roughly 1 1/2 hours it took for an optimized algorithm to burn through over 5 million RNs to find a pair of 100 to get this footage

That was my understanding, though my quick math definitely wasn't up to the task. With how little use it sees in FE6 on average, there is actually a real chance a missed triangle has yet to happen by accident, then. Across every single playthrough of this game. Crazy.

And yeah I just didn't assume triangles rolled rns at all, since they disregard numbers completely.

Edited by Cysx