Legendary Hero - Byleth: The Fodlan Light

Fire Emblem Fan

Legendary Female Byleth, huh? So...Legendary Male Robin, when? And more Three Houses, the burnout is getting real.

FEH Pass subscribers now get exclusive free summons after 40 summons, on certain summoning events.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish they'd waited two months for her...

Also I'm super confident now that a new game is going to be announced soon. They're exhausting TH while it's still the newest game.

Edited by Florete

Eh. She's not colorless. I guess that means I'm going back to Ash's banner to grab the last two copies of her, then.

Blue is decent. Legendary Eirika is worth pulling for to get her to +10 and maybe grab a few extra copies of Surge Sparrow and Atk/Spd Menace. Seiros is kind of useless to me, as I already have a bajillion copies of her from Ulir's banner.

I'll pull enough to get Eirika to +10 and then see how unlucky I've been to see if I should bother to pull more.

Spark on certain other banners is a pretty nice perk for FEH Pass and raises the value of it immensely. If you already occasionally buy orbs, there's pretty much no reason not to get a subscription now. I'm assuming this will apply to Legendary/Mythic Hero banners and Special Hero banners. I'm not expecting it to apply to other banners, but it would be nice if it did.

As for the new Legendary Byleth, I like that we're finally getting Ruptured Sky in the Legendary/Mythic Hero rotation, which means that I might eventually actually have fodder for the damned thing. Atk/Spd Ideal is also nice to have in rotation.

As for her exclusive skills, she gets all of the effects of Creator Sword plus +5 to all stats and a +7 field buff to Atk and Spd to activate Ideal. Basically a selfish version of male Legendary Byleth, trading away the Drive Null Follow-Up effect for Special charge rate change nullification and a self buff.

As usual for Null Follow-Up units, you can run Windsweep instead of her default Lull to tell Fallen Edelgard to fuck off, and Edelgard can't stop Byleth from dropping a Ruptured Sky on her. Better yet, compared to male Legendary Byleth, her Ruptured Sky will hit on the second attack, which isn't affected by Edelgard's damage reduction.

28 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

The bad news is more stuff locked behind the paywall of FEH pass.

It's literally just equivalent to more orbs. A lot of more orbs, but still can be equated to more orbs.

I personally think making FEH Pass more worth it through more non-gameplay perks is the right call, and this is just stuff that is otherwise obtainable by paying money anyways.

Edited by Ice Dragon

The usual translation things:

Byleth's epithet, "The Fodlan Light", is "フォドラを導く者" (fodora o michibiku mono), "The One Who Guides Fodlan".

Professorial Guide is "師の授けの書" (shi no sazuke no sho), "Tome of the Professor's Instruction". Contrast with male Legendary Byleth's Professorial Text, which is "師の導きの書" (shi no michibiki no sho), "Tome of the Professor's Guidance".

Goddess Bearer is "女神を宿せし者" (megami o yadoseshi mono), "The One Who Houses the Goddess".

Wow IS, good job.

Look, I was a bit upset about those quality of life features and the additional resources they locked behind a paywall.

But this...

THIS

They just ruined both the casual side and the competitive side for 95% of the player base at once. This was a horrible idea and I happily send feedback.

Eh, I was at least right on the "not Elincia" part in regards to this legendary. If nothing else, this gives M!Robin more hope for a legendary (and M!Corn I guess, but there's no way he goes before M!Robin).

Shame F!Byleth got assigned blue since I already have the other two blues while having none of the greens. Even Red is a bit more appealing too since I don't have Marth or Lif and do have a -Atk L!Lilina.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering why people think it's a bad thing to allow players to pay a flat price to get a non-random reward.

More subscription model and less gacha model is a good thing.

Anyone care to explain their thought process to me, or is it nothing more than just a "Feh Pass bad" sentiment?

Edited by Ice Dragon

Blue? Why? Seiros is old, Does this mean, Jan is colorless?? Im confused by your choice IS. I guess because Christmas, Byleth more popular and double colorless wind wouldnt be great??

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Meanwhile, I'm wondering why people think it's a bad thing to allow players to pay a flat price to get a non-random reward.

They hate the FEH Pass on arrival, so of course they're going to get mad when IS puts more stuff behind it.

Then a month later, they'll still be playing this game anyways despite their current outrage (just like when the Pass was first introduced).

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

While MMO addiction is a problem, it's different from a "Spending Real Currency Gambling on a Talking JPEG" addiction. While MMOs can squeeze in microtransactions, there is no danger of massively overspending on the typical MMORPG subscription because you're addicted to the game.

So, for the "gatcha preys on exploitable human weakness" crowd, the possibility of gradually transitioning in any degree off of the gatcha model ought to be a victory in equal proportion.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

46 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

They hate the FEH Pass on arrival, so of course they're going to get mad when IS puts more stuff behind it.

Then a month later, they'll still be playing this game anyways despite their current outrage (just like when the Pass was first introduced).

I don't care for the pass, but I will speak by not buying it (not that I ever did).  Or anything else in this game with real money,

That being said, this banner gives me hope for Omega Yato Corrin.  Assuming he's allowed to wield a sword!  Given that the Brave units are in the mix, it means every color is viable in some way, shape, or form.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Anyone care to explain their thought process to me, or is it nothing more than just a "Feh Pass bad" sentiment?

Because it's a QoL feature that many have been asking for locked behind a paywall. One of the biggest complaints about FEH's spark feature is that it only works on New Heroes banners, which is only some of the banners that the game gives out and compares unfavorably to other gachas like Dragalia Lost or Pokemon Masters which will allow you to spark on any banner (including Seasonals and Legendary/Mythic equivalents) as long as you have the currency to do it. FEH getting it is great as that means it finally gets a universal spark feature, but instead of allowing every player to have free access to it like those games, it's locking that QoL update people behind a paid pass, something that is made worse by the fact that they did the same thing when the feature came out and locked other QoL features behind it. 

A Spark system should be a cushion for every player trying to get their favorites whether it's a New Heroes unit, a Seasonal, or Legendary/Mythic. Restricting that only to players that pay up is, quite frankly, scummy, especially when the entire reason the feature exists is to avoid players spending too much getting the character they want.

Edited by Medeus

Well, this is the most surprising legendary/mythic banner of year, and i don't say that for Byleth ofc.

My first reaction when i heard it was "wow, what a slap to the face of f2p players and non-subscribers." It's incredibly shameless, but saying that feels out of proportions when you remember the entire premise behind the gacha game system is already beyond reason. As some one who has put money in the game, i'm entirely comfortable spending for a "premium" png of existing characters, i DON"T agree with locking increased stats behind a pay wall but i'm perfectly fine spending for skins. This however is too much to look at even as some one who is willing to spend. This means the game won't see a universal spark system open to all any time soon, if it ever happens before the game eventually dies. It's tough to look at, given how dedicated the fan base is to this game.

That being said, I have a hard time thinking of what else they could have done. It's easy to question and critize their decisions for what goes into FEH pass, the QoL features, this new spark system, and the increased stats of resplendent units. But what could they actually do to sell you the FEH pass? I don't think they need the FEH pass to be successful or for the future success and sustainability of the game, but it's obvious they are determined to push this angle. So what could they do? If you have never bought the pass before, is there something that could one day motivate you to do so? (Assuming you are not of the principle to never spend a dime on a free game). No amount of the materials/components they offer will ever be truly enticing enough i feel to make the pass worth because that's not the point. It doesn't offer many orbs at all. Multiple summoner supports are pointless because the added stats are not there on competitive modes or SDs. FEH is primarily a collector's game, and ensuring that you can guarantee the character you want IS the collector's dream. Giving that to everyone, ie making it free, leaves you with literally nothing else to entice potential subscribers. So while i don't like it and i don't agree, i can see it.

anyways, scattered thoughts, hope you all are doing well.

5 minutes ago, Medeus said:

Because it's a QoL feature that many have been asking for locked behind a paywall. One of the biggest complaints about FEH's spark feature is that it only works on New Heroes banners, which is only some of the banners that the game gives out and compares unfavorably to other gachas like Dragalia Lost or Pokemon Masters which will allow you to spark on any banner (including Seasonals and Legendary/Mythic equivalents) as long as you have the currency to do it. FEH getting it is great as that means it finally gets a universal spark feature, but instead of allowing every player to have free access to it like those games, it's locking that QoL update people behind a paid pass, something that is made worse by the fact that they did the same thing when the feature came out and locked other QoL features behind it. 

A Spark system should be a cushion for every player trying to get their favorites whether it's a New Heroes unit, a Seasonal, or Legendary/Mythic. Restricting that only to players that pay up is, quite frankly, scummy, especially when the entire reason the feature exists is to avoid players spending too much getting the character they want.

Sparking is a means of preventing a player from spending too much money to get what they want. That is, almost by definition, not a "quality of life" feature unless you've diluted the term to mean "anything that is beneficial to the player", making it functionally useless.

Making stuff that costs money cost less money is not a quality of life feature.

...I'm sorry, but the entirely wrong person made this thread. I do not feel like you should let personal feelings be the first thing others see when opening a thread like this, especially blatantly negative ones. Leave them out, or at the very least put them BELOW the video.

Anyway, what am I looking at... Professorial Guide is an alternate version of LegM!Byleth's Professorial Text that disables Special Acceleration and Guard effects being utilized by the foe (minus any stat checks) for herself and nearby allies. Goddess Bearer granting all those effects is great for an offensive unit, can make for some annoying strategies involving that Guidance effect. Windsweep/Watersweep can very easily be slotted in and run just as well. Missing Sublime Heaven is a little lame, but not that big a deal. Overall LegF!Byleth is looking to be a supercharged Ishtar... which kinda makes her upcoming Resplendent form a little awkward.

Unfortunately, points must be taken off Professorial Guide for only PROJECTING a Gambit instead of actually BEING a Gambit.

The other colors... Red is solid (LegLillina is great, Brave Marth is honestly broken if done right, Lif is... there), Blue is the focus color and has good other units, Greens units are all solid, and Colorless is all solid as well. A solid banner overall.

Now, as for the Feh Pass-only sparking... I don't know what the big deal is for you people. It's by no means required of you to subscribe to Feh Pass and then buy 160 orbs just to spark for a unit on the banner. If you already spend money on the game, chances are you were gonna inevitably get the focus unit anyway. If you don't spend money on the game, then it's not like the banner is overall worse for you to summon on; you can still randomly summon any of the units on the banner.

Does it kinda suck that it's only for subscribers, yes, and I speak as someone who only subs because of Resplendent Heroes. But does it ruin the game... however you say it ruins the game? No, you're just being crazy.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sparking is a means of preventing a player from spending too much money to get what they want. That is, almost by definition, not a "quality of life" feature unless you've diluted the term to mean "anything that is beneficial to the player", making it functionally useless.

Making stuff that costs money cost less money is not a quality of life feature.

And in your nitpicking of the wording you have not addressed any of the critiques. Sparking as a feature is still something beneficial to players as it gives a guaranteed ceiling for how much they spend to get the character they want and was created as a means to prevent players from overspending. Whether it's considered a QoL feature or not it doesn't matter, it's something that shouldn't be locked only to players who buy the pass, especially, and I repeat, it's not something gachas like Dragalia Lost or Pokemon Masters do.

Edit:

Now, as for the Feh Pass-only sparking... I don't know what the big deal is for you people. It's by no means required of you to subscribe to Feh Pass and then buy 160 orbs just to spark for a unit on the banner. If you already spend money on the game, chances are you were gonna inevitably get the focus unit anyway. If you don't spend money on the game, then it's not like the banner is overall worse for you to summon on; you can still randomly summon any of the units on the banner.

Does it kinda suck that it's only for subscribers, yes, and I speak as someone who only subs because of Resplendent Heroes. But does it ruin the game... however you say it ruins the game? No, you're just being crazy.

This is the problem though: You can randomly summon those units. Sure you have a chance of getting characters like Duo Sothis or H!Rhea, but you also have a chance of never pulling them no matter how many orbs you throw at them. I've seen horror stories of players who threw so many of their F2P orbs that they've saved and yet didn't get a single copy of their favorite character, and that is sad to hear. Sparking is a means to avoid that, with it you have a guaranteed chance of getting that character you saved for and that's something all players should have access to. 

Now, I'm not going to say this 'ruins the game' or anything, but I'm also not going to hold back on any criticisms on how the feature is implemented. You can't dismiss other's problems with the feature like that. 

Edited by Medeus

They're really trying to milk people dry at the end of the year I see. I was planning on skipping because I want Marianne to be a merge project and to get Yuri off the rerun, but this spark is super baity.

6 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

That being said, I have a hard time thinking of what else they could have done. It's easy to question and critize their decisions for what goes into FEH pass, the QoL features, this new spark system, and the increased stats of resplendent units. But what could they actually do to sell you the FEH pass? I don't think they need the FEH pass to be successful or for the future success and sustainability of the game, but it's obvious they are determined to push this angle. So what could they do? If you have never bought the pass before, is there something that could one day motivate you to do so? (Assuming you are not of the principle to never spend a dime on a free game). No amount of the materials/components they offer will ever be truly enticing enough i feel to make the pass worth because that's not the point. It doesn't offer many orbs at all. Multiple summoner supports are pointless because the added stats are not there on competitive modes or SDs. FEH is primarily a collector's game, and ensuring that you can guarantee the character you want IS the collector's dream. Giving that to everyone, ie making it free, leaves you with literally nothing else to entice potential subscribers. So while i don't like it and i don't agree, i can see it.

Maybe they could have given everyone the spark, but FEH Pass subscribers get an extra one at 20 more summons or something. Which competitive modes are the extra summoner support stats not available? I know it's in AR, but I haven't payed attention or tried to use it to my advantage in other modes. 

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

I wonder how many people will be committed and actually leave? Someone on my friends list that was quite invested dropped the game after FEH Pass was announced. I know I'll stay off of Reddit for a while since it's probably super toxic over there.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I was already subscribed anyway so this doesn't change a whole lot, maybe I'd get baited into summoning more, but at least the horror scenario won't be there any more. I think everyone should get that benefit, because it sucks trying to get your favorite just to waste a lot of orbs and ruin your mentality. On the other hand this change doesn't technically "hurt" the game, but it will leave people dissatisfied.

Honestly, I'm surprised Fafnir didn't show up this time.

As for this banner, I'm a bit torn, I did plan to build up a Gatekeeper and he's in ok company

but I also wanted to save for a Thorr

and ascended Veronica is a possibility

Well, I know this feel really suck for free-to-play players, but you have to understand this is a business.

They need to make $ consistently, and of course they want to force feh pass to as many people as possible (by putting more benefit behind it).

I think compare to other gacha games, Feh is still is on the generous side.

49 minutes ago, Medeus said:

This is the problem though: You can randomly summon those units. Sure you have a chance of getting characters like Duo Sothis or H!Rhea, but you also have a chance of never pulling them no matter how many orbs you throw at them. I've seen horror stories of players who threw so many of their F2P orbs that they've saved and yet didn't get a single copy of their favorite character, and that is sad to hear. Sparking is a means to avoid that, with it you have a guaranteed chance of getting that character you saved for and that's something all players should have access to. 

Now, I'm not going to say this 'ruins the game' or anything, but I'm also not going to hold back on any criticisms on how the feature is implemented. You can't dismiss other's problems with the feature like that. 

I don't say it's a perfect feature. I only barely understand why Legend/Mythic banners would only be sparkable to subscribers, and frankly that reason is flimsy as hell. But I'm not dismissing problems with the feature: I'm "dismissing" people who want to scream about what a scam it is without giving a coherent reason why.

What separates them from people like you or @Ice Dragon is that you are able to show you understand the problems at hand. They, the people I'm "dismissing" at least, show knowledge equal to internet trolls.

Edited by Xenomata

1 hour ago, Medeus said:

And in your nitpicking of the wording you have not addressed any of the critiques.

This was the answer you gave me:

1 hour ago, Medeus said:

Because it's a QoL feature that many have been asking for locked behind a paywall.

and my response was based on the fact that there are valid criticisms of Feh Pass containing actual quality-of-life features that people think should be free (and I agree with them), which is what I assumed you were getting at because that's a legitimate grievance.

The way you presented the argument and the fact that you consistently repeated the claim that this was a quality-of-life feature clearly emphasized that the fact that this was a quality-of-life feature was important to your argument.

If I ignore your claim that this feature is a quality-of-life feature and interpret the remainder of your argument in that light, all it boils down to is "this is helpful for players, so all players should have access to it at no cost". Yes, we all know that this is helpful to players and why it's helpful to players. But, the only reason you give for why it should be free is because some other games make it free.

Sparking is a feature whose only functional purpose is to save players money, and I think it's perfectly fine to charge a fraction of the money it saves on average to use that feature.

Also, it's literally less than 10 USD. That's the price of 2 or 3 coffees.

Also, we haven't yet seen if it counts how many pulls you previously made on a banner if you subscribe after you start pulling. If it does keep count (and it probably will because that's a great way to advertise for Feh Pass), it basically lets you spend your F2P orbs first and then gives you the option of paying 10 USD as a backup plan to immediately guarantee getting the character you failed to get.

Would it be better if the backup plan were free instead of 10 USD? Sure. Is a 10 USD backup plan going to kill you or ruin the game? Probably not unless you're a minor using a parent's credit card.

EDIT: Oh shit. I got too caught up in this argument and pulling for my last 2 copies of Ash now that I know she isn't going to be sharing a color with Byleth that I forgot to do my remaining Tempest Trials runs after finishing my first. Why am I so easily distracted.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

I don't say it's a perfect feature. I only barely understand why Legend/Mythic banners would only be sparkable to subscribers, and frankly that reason is flimsy as hell. But I'm not dismissing problems with the feature: I'm dismissing people who want to scream about what a scam it is without giving a coherent reason why.

That's definitely fair. While I do share the criticisms many have with the feature it does no one any good if you're just screaming at each other, that's personally why I came here for the topic instead of going to some of the other sites. 

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

If I ignore your claim that this feature is a quality-of-life feature and interpret the remainder of your argument in that light, all it boils down to is "this is helpful for players, so all players should have access to it at no cost". Yes, we all know that this is helpful to players and why it's helpful to players. But, the only reason you give for why it should be free is because some other games make it free.

Sparking is a feature whose only functional purpose is to save players money, and I think it's perfectly fine to charge a fraction of the money it saves on average to use that feature.

Also, it's literally less than 10 USD. That's the price of 2 or 3 coffees.

We're getting sidetracked with that so lets table it. 

As for your point of sparking being a feature only functional for players to save money, I disagree. Sparking is also a feature that can serve as a safety net to ensure players can get the character they want without fear of missing them. I've mentioned it before, but I've seen many stories of players playing the game, spending all of their orbs for a character they've saved up for, (whether F2P or not) and yet not getting that character and feeling demoralized for that. Seeing that happen, especially to friends, is not a good feeling, and it's rough to see people have to sit out on missing their character just because luck wasn't with them. Sparking being available to all players gives them that peace of mind in knowing that as long as they have a certain amount of orbs, they can get that character they want and that's something that many gachas understand and allow so that their playerbase feels comfortable enough to spend on their banners. FEH had a problem where New Heroes Banners were the only banners people could spark on, which means that while you were guaranteed to get a character you want on those banners, other banners were off-limits outside of certain circumstances which meant that the same fear of missing out on a character you want would be present on those other banners, and that's why there was a push to get the spark on those banners. So when it finally happens and people get a universal spark just for it to come with a caveat that not everyone can match, that's not good. It's definitely understandable people are upset here as they wanted this feature universally so that they can pull on those other banners and know that as long as they had the currency they could get them. Now for a large part of the fanbase that's not going to be the case.

Also, it's easy to say 'well it's the price of three coffees, so it's not that big a deal', but not everyone has the free money to spend on that option or have other obligations that even that small amount of money could go to. Not everyone's situation is the same when it comes to this type of thing. 

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also, we haven't yet seen if it counts how many pulls you previously made on a banner if you subscribe after you start pulling. If it does keep count (and it probably will because that's a great way to advertise for Feh Pass), it basically lets you spend your F2P orbs first and then gives you the option of paying 10 USD as a backup plan to immediately guarantee getting the character you failed to get.

That could be true, but it could also be argued to be predatory. Having a notification popping up after you spend all of your orbs saying 'you want to spark, buy FEH pass' is dangling the feature over their heads and pushing them to spend by playing on their desperation to get a character they want.