Faith in the Spirits Arc 1: To Align the Stars

Mercenary on the Winds

Marianne poked her head above deck. It seemed like things had already started, and the mercenaries were already doing a pretty good job of pushing the pirates back. Perhaps her worry was unfounded. But, she couldn't just sit back and wait for things to pass. Both Chris and Marianne had already been awake when things started happening; Marianne was going to try to get more practice in since her attempt the day before hadn't gone very well. She still wasn't feeling the best--and today was no exception--but she was stubborn. Chris had prepared to assist himself, but Marianne asked him to let her go instead, and for him to hang back.

I'm still a bit worried about your leg, and... call me possessive or whatever, but I don't like how that woman from before was looking at you. Something about both of them... You felt it too, right? And you said they were the Evokers... I'd rather not give them anything else to be suspicious of. I'm also worried about those mercenaries. I promise that I'll be fine, and that I won't use any of my magic.

Chris relented, and here she was. Her body felt heavy, but a bunch of pirates with bulky axes weren't going to be capable of touching her, anyway. It appeared her help would be more necessary on the eastern boat, she'd be able to double back to the south if needed, but seeing a familiar face helped her decision making. 

"Cinead! Think you can give that swordsman over there a warm welcome?" 

Marianne to 9, 11 and dance for Cinead!

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krauser's eyes narrowed, the attack had gone according to plan. But the moment his men boarded, they found themselves being repelled by a competent group. He scowled, "To hell with the original plan! Everyone get in there! Make these accursed mercenaries rue the day they decided to push back against us!" Their good luck was turning, and he wasn't much of a fan of it. 

Merc 3 heeds the words of his boss and rushes Alvira with his Monster Blade!
[93/82] Miss! 
Alvira takes advantage!
[89/59] Merc 3 takes 11 damage! 
Alvira gains 12 EXP 

Merc 1 wavers under the heat... but engages axe-wielding Aegean!
[37/44] Aegean takes 6 damage!
Aegean bonks back!
[7/22] Merc 1 crumples!
Aegean gains 30 EXP, and +2 Axe EXP

Pirate 3 wants revenge, and engages Aegean! 
[41/33] Aegean takes 11 damage! Barely hanging on!
Aegean reaches deep!
[73/15] Aegean smash. Critical! 60 damage! Pirate 3 ceases to exist!
Aegean gains 30 EXP, and +2 Axe EXP

Pirate 5 doesn't want to test his luck, and instead engages Cinead!
[41/39] Strikes true for 11 damage!
Cin wishes to give him a hand!
[18/23] Applause successful for 9 damage!
Cinead gains 10 EXP, and +1 Brawling EXP

Pirate 6 swings at Laniva in frustration!
[58/25] Missed!
Lani counters the wild swing!
[72/22] Pirate 6 falls!
Laniva gains 30 EXP, and +2 Sword EXP

Pirate 7 thinks he can do a little better!
[48/36] Lani barely evades! (He missed by 1) 
Lani shows him how to strike!
[81/96], [2/89] Pirate 7 crumples to two quick counters, each for 14 damage! 
Laniva gains 40 EXP, and +3 Sword EXP 

Pirates 4, 8 and Merc 2 all edge into better position to strike! 
Krauser remains put.

Player Phase: Turn 2! 

Chapter1-T2.png

"Well I can't let myself get left out of the fun." Syndra said towards Alvira, impressed at her dodging of the blade. Syndra cuts through the dragon and tiger to a location just ahead of the swordsman and begins an incantation and hand gesture, aiming ice shards at him.

Syndra moves to 12, 14 and casts Ice at Merc 3!

Syndra hails Merc 3 at range for his daring attempt!
[73/90] Merc 3 takes 11, barely withstanding the chill!
Syndra gains 12 exp, and +1 Anima EXP!

Cin goes in "guns" blazing! Uses Burning Fist!
(HP -1 for Fire Cast) (15 HP remaining)
[45/55], [37/85] Both connect for 18 damage, and a charred Pirate 5!
Cin gains 40 exp, and +3 Brawling EXP!

The fight had gone faster than expected, as Gean easily dispatched multiple enemies in a row. Finally, one of the pirates realized that continuing to attack her was foolish and turned on him. The first exchange of blows left them both wounded, and they split apart for a second. Grinning, Cin called out, "Hey Gean, that was pretty damn impressive fighting. But catch a load of this." He drew in a deep breath and then settled into a fighting stance. Suddenly flames leaped into existence, surrounding his arms from shoulder to fingers before coalescing into fiery replicates of the weapons he held in his fists. He charged forward, fists ablaze. A quick one two, and the enemy fell at his feet.

Huh, Alvira didn’t actually die horribly there! Wild. And she looked real pissed off at the lad that tried it, to boot. Wouldn’t it just be a shame if someone decided to steal the kill from her? A damn shame. It’d probably cause a lot of problems between her and whoever did it.

Nyx, regrettably, lived to cause problems on purpose.

Nyx stays where she is and does the funny bow thing on the Mercenary

Edited by MRDRHAWK

Miria had been caught off guard by Alriana's approach. Well, this worked. Time to make some camaraderie work.

"Alriana, please cover me." As she approached her target, she gave a couple of swings, suddenly her sword blade catching fire. Now, to attack!

Miria to 5,7, activates Afterburner! Slash Pirate 8!

Edited by Silver Gallade

Nyx sees an opening to strike Merc 3!
[81/46] Merc 3 falls without making an impact!
Nyx gains 34 EXP, and +2 Bow EXP! 

Miria calls out "Burning Rush" and engages Pirate 8! (Pirate 8 is extremely confused)
Activate Afterburner!
[78/36] Pirate 8 takes a toasty 15 damage!
Pirate 8 whips his axe back in retaliation!
[62/53] Miss! Miria walks by it!
Miria gains 12 EXP, and +1 Sword EXP! 

Aly comes in for the assist! 
[2/46] Pirate 8 can't take the combo, and collapses! 
Aly gains 34 EXP, and +2 Hidden EXP!

Perhaps it was Tasha's care or seeing him coming, but Alvira managed to dodge the blade's strike, crashing a brick of magic into the man's face. Another chunk hit the man, Alvira glancing to see Syndra casting her own spell. Alvira growled, but he was still standing, she could--

An arrow sent him sprawling onto the deck, the dragon spinning in place to see Nyx, having just taken her quary. "Get your filthy hands away from my prey, you worthless human!" Alvira had yet to get truly angry with any of the Iron Tigers, but this time her tail slammed against the plank, shaking it slightly, pupils thin as slits as she almost breathed out ice in her frustration. She had tried her best to ignore Nyx's horrible nickname for her, about to let it slide, but now the older woman was two strikes down.

"Leave this to the rest of us able bodied monsters, Grandma." Alvira chose to ignore Tasha's age, rather upset, and stalked off onto the other boat.

Alvira moves to 13,13 and smashes a cube of ice against the deck on 14,12

"Hey!" She called out towards the one pirate she could see, eyes ablaze with fury! "You want a fucking monster!? Here she is you stain on life! Come and get me! COME ON! I'll paint this deck with your guts like the others!" Another cube spun into her hand, ready for any assault against her.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Even with a hangover, Nyx knew she had a damn good eye for this sort of thing, as the swordsman fell limp to the ground. And Nyx, true to form, was primed to gloat over it - until Alvira started shouting at her for the shot.

Well, Nyx supposed she couldn’t really blame the kid - she was definitely the competitive type, that much she could tell. And sure, she was getting a little too pissed off, but surely that would-

Wait. The fuck did she just call her?

”Oi, y’lil shit! I can excuse a lotta yer bitchin’ a’ev’ryone who ain’t Nattie, but now yer crossin’ th’line!” Besides, Nattie was older than her! Wouldn’t that make her even more of a grandma by Alvira’s apparent standards?

"Fuck you Nyx! I don't bitch at anyone! I kept to myself! You can go and ask anyone you want, the ONLY people I gave the time of day were Tasha, Laniva, and Alriana, and EVERYONE ELSE I stayed away from, because I KNEW this shit would happen! Fuck you! Maybe if you didn't have a drink in your hand all the time you'd be able to SEE THAT!" Alvira smashed her ice against the deck again, the cube shattering into flakes, some of the wood cracking under the impact. "Keep away from me! Don't talk to me! Don't even LOOK at me!" Her anger flushed out, Alvira turned again to face the pirate, who was likely confused by this group arguing amongst themselves so heavily.

Alvira muttered to herself as a growl slipped out. Whoever had decided to attack them on these tight ships was going to get their legs broken. "I've got so much ice, and so much anger, and someone's going to get the wrong end of it all..."

And there, just as Natalya was about to praise Alvira for pulling something like that off without a scratch, she just had to get territorial about who of them actually gets to kill the people they're fighting... not to be outdone, Nyx just had to fuel her a bit more on top of that. She knew already how possessive Alvira was, what with her previous analogies and such taken to heart, but this was on an unacceptable level, considering what their actual job was. "Let it go, Nyx, she's not gonna listen to you anyway. I know who she does." Natalya runs up beside Alvira on 14-13 and puts a hand on the dragon's shoulder.

Even though it looked like she was smiling as normal, the tiger wasn't putting any of her usual feeling into it, and her shut eyes hid what must have been an icy glare from the dragon. "Nice work on the dodge, but hey, Alvira?" She suddenly gripped the shoulder tighter, pulling herself just a tiny bit closer. "Shut the fuck up and focus on the fighting. Nobody gets to claim kills for themselves. The only thing that matters is how efficiently we can keep everyone alive while getting our job done." And because she felt strongly enough about the last point, Natalya finally let that glare shine through and her smile turn downward. "And if I ever hear you call one of our allies a 'worthless human' ever again, I will soap your damn mouth myself. Understood?"

All this shouting was making Nyx’s head throb. Honestly, the kid really wasn’t worth dealing with right now - better to have her nice and motivated to kill a bunch of enemies rather than setting her off on her right now.

That said, there was the little matter of the chest on the boat. Hm. Might be a bit of a conundrum dealing with that while Viry was so mad. Thankfully, whether intentionally or not, Nattie seemed to agree, and marched right over to give Viry a stern talking to.

“Ye, y’get ri’ on t’at un, Nattie. M’gonna stick t’ gettin’ th’chest o’er there, in a minute r’two.” With a half hearted thumbs up, Nyx let her bow clatter to the ground and pressed both fingers against her temple. Thirty thousand was definitely not going to be enough to get rid of this headache.

Alvira's anger dropped to the level of a candle's flame as Tasha's hand hit her shoulder, the dragon's tail stopping its angry swaying. What Tasha was saying was making sense, but it wasn't enough to convince her that easily. "But... B-But, she... You... You, should know just what those Pure weapons mean to us! What they stand, for, and she TOOK that from me, it's not... It's not, fair! It's not about the kill, I, you... You should know..." Her stammering was the best response she could muster against Tasha's quiet and cold words. She wasn't done yet, though. "And... S-Soap, my mouth if you must. I'm not taking it back. I'm not going to say sorry."

"Oh I know, I certainly do! And you want to stoop to their level just so you can have a symbolic victory? There are still people like the Iron Tigers who regardless of their race just want things to turn out well for everyone! I may protect your life with everything I've got, but there's a limit to what I'll put up with." Natalya wasn't happy, to say the least, although her attention was partially to keeping a gun pointed at their remaining threat so they wouldn't have a funny interruption in the middle of their moment. "Be the bigger girl and keep being who's right, instead of some mirror image of the Islexians," she added, shoving herself off of Alvira for now. They were still in a fight, and much to her chagrin, she was pretty sure there wasn't any soap to go around until they'd make it back to land.

"That's, that's not--" Alvira couldn't believe what she was hearing! It wasn't the same! It was in no way the same, unless she'd missed monsters and the clouded coming up with their own weapons to specially strike down humans... No, so long as they went the full mile to weaponize their disgust, Alvira wouldn't have it. She didn't say a word back to Tasha this time, but she didn't agree, not for a second. You can shove your self righteousness, Natalya. There's a disparity, and if you think we should all smile and try to be bigger than it, you're too soft. Fuck the humans, I'll not play friends with them just because of your sophistry.

Aegean used her axe to keep herself up. While it was definitely flashy, her dispatch of the first pirate definitely set off the others nearby. On the bright side by the time the fourth man came around, she had made enough of a pressing argument for him to steer clear of her and onwards to Cin.

"Impressive stuff hot shot... Remind me... to ask you about that later. I gotta... take a second don't mind me." If she wasn't using all she had left to stay standing, she'd be a bit more enthusiastic in her reply. For now, retreating and healing were for the best. Maybe Renais was close by as well.

Gean falls back to 8,12.

Edited by Bluemask 96

Seeing two of her teammates before her get set off and their commander's attempt at handling it was not a sight Renais wanted to see today, she simply looked aside and sighed to herself. 'I suppose I will leave them to their own devices then...' Two of her least favorite people on the team bickering? She wasn't going to play peacemaker to that sight. She hoped commander Tasha had it under control.

So instead she turned her attention toward an injured companion that came into view, Aegean! With another breath she approached the warrior and held up her staff. "Don't worry, I have you." She rose her staff up, and with a short chant energy flowed from the tip of the staff toward her companion to mend the wounds she had taken.

Renais to 7, 12, heals Gean

Edited by TheRoon

Marianne found herself impressed by the young woman that Chris had mentioned. Aegean appeared to be her name, and like Chris, she also vaguely recognized it. But thinking about that now was pointless; she could handle herself well... Almost too well, as felling one pirate after another left her wounded, and open. Fortunately, her formidability scared the other into Cin's arms. She felt like stepping up and taking charge in that moment; both Cin and Aegean had taken knocks, but even if she was sure that the pirate couldn't touch her, putting herself needlessly at risk when there were more supporting things she could do was silly. But, if the shouting from across the boat was any indication, Marianne was glad that she decided to worry about this group. While arguing wasn't exactly anything new to her; Princess Shiva and Tanvir argued all the time, but this was... seemingly not in anyone's interest. Bet it's the dragon from before... Guess it wasn't just a mood. She sighed, she had things to do still. 

Aegean fell back, and was met by... Marianne blinked for a moment, Aegean found herself being healed by a pink haired cleric. I'm... not that woozy still... am I? Marianne glided her way over, and, no, her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. They clearly wouldn't have been mistaken for one another on a close glance, but the pink haired healer reminded Marianne a lot of her best friend, Catherine. Marianne looked at Aegean, "Impressive fighting, but you might need hang back for a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if the remainder of this group started targeting you for that display earlier. Wouldn't want this lovely lady's hard work to go to waste, hmm?" She switched targets to Renais with a quick step, open fan in front of her mouth, "And not to hurry you along or anything, but there's a dragon over there that could use your healing touch. Watch for that pirate." Presumptuous of her to be suggesting anything being an unknown quantity, but making sure everyone came out okay was higher on her priority list.

Marianne to 7, 14 and Dance for Renais! 

Having watched what happened to his mates, a remarkably unusual argument, and now... a talk between a tall cat... tiger? woman and a smaller, but much more explosive dragon girl. The pirate couldn't do much more than look at his boss in sheer bewilderment. Admittedly, that glance hid the fear he felt; the dragon had dodged the strike from their best fighter, aside from the boss of course, and slapped him with ice on his way by. And now realizing that the tiger woman was also taller than him, and pointing a gun in his direction, he was absolutely sure that he didn't want to go anywhere near them. The... even taller dragon with flaming arms seemed much more appealing. 

Renais didn't expect to see such a...ravishing looking dancer to reward her efforts with a quick step. It caused the healer to blush a little. '...ok maybe this trip might be worth the pain after all.' Renais enjoyed the sight before her, almost like she forgot about the battle...which Marianne quickly reminded her of when she pointed out the scariest person on the boat. "...eh?" She snapped out of it and turned to Cin with wide eyes. 

'W-WHY HIM?!' 

She had trouble hiding her spooked face as she looked between him and Marianne. "A-ahh, yes...r-right away ma'am." She gulped for a moment and rose her staff up. Thank goodness she knew how to heal from a distance, she had trouble just looking at the man. With another quiet chant the tip of the staff glowed yet again and energy flowed from it toward Cin. Like a gentle breeze the healing flowed across the dragonic warrior's body and slowly undid the damage he took.

Renais heals Cin with Staff Technician!

Edited by TheRoon

Cinaed stood steady, flames slowly fading as he started to brace for the next fight. But suddenly a warmth flowed through his body, his wounds knitting, a peaceful sensation amidst the chaos of the battle and the infighting. He'd been trying to ignore the outside interferences, preferring to focus instead on the enemy, but the gentleness of this warmth pulled him to turn around. Spotting the huddle figure of Renais, he couldn't help the grin that broke out in his race. He winked at her and called out "Thank you for that help there miss. Keep back though, these pirates aren't messing around and it wouldn't do for our healer to get hurt."