Faith in the Spirits Arc 1: To Align the Stars

Mercenary on the Winds

Tanya raised an eyebrow, very caught off guard by the expectations she’d vaguely had for the pair. She didn’t think the pink-haired cleric would be so bold, and her companion so mousey, but it just made her more intrigued by the duo. And, she had to admit as well, the dress she picked out after was pretty good.

”Huh. Yeah, guess that makes sense, you’d know her better than I do. You think she’d go for a dress that shows off so much leg, though? Some people are kinda against that sorta thing.” Tanya said thoughtfully, scratching her chin while her tail flitted and flicked behind her. “Bet you’d look pretty good in something like that, though.”

Wait, shit, she forgot something! Something very important! “Oh, right, should probably introduce myself. Name’s Tanya; wandering knight, and temporary arena fighter. I was here for some other business, but, uh. Apparently some mercs came into town and made a mess of those plans, so I’m trying to figure out a backup.”

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She certainly was a chatty one, part of Renais had hoped she'd be on her way after a few quick words but she wanted to stay. That being said, she was actually enjoying this somewhat. "Well, I personally don't like pants or long dresses. Things that restrict my legs are just really bothersome. It's just nice to be able to stretch out without worrying about your lower half, ya know?" She couldn't help but smile at the compliment. "And you're too kind, thank you very much."

Then came her name and why she was here, which lowered her smile a little. Mercs that came into town...was she about to join the Crows? That didn't make much sense considering how racist Rustal was. He wouldn't accept a Clouded in their ranks. "Tanya, is it? Well my name is Renais, sorry to hear your plans fell through." She simply nodded her head at the cat girl. 'I wonder if it's a good idea to mention we're probably that mercenary group...I don't know how she'd take that.' 

Suddenly, Alvira was getting cold feet. She took the tome, sure, but the thought of trying to cast was making her genuinely scared. If Tio was right, it meant too many terrible things. "This won't work, just watch--" 

With confidence, Alvira outstretched her arm, book in the other, and focused... and a spell formed. It formed and fired off Light as anyone would expect to see it, albeit weaker from not reciting the incantation. Alvira blinked. Her mind went blank and she tried again. It was a fluke. Just a fluke, you can't cast light ma--

The spell went off again. Alvira began to shake a little, the book toppled out of her hand, she fell to her knees. "Wh... H-Huh, no..." She wasn't so distraught over Tio being right. That wasn't even crossing her mind. "Then... Th-Then what, what was all that time, f-for...? I could do this all along...? Why didn't... Wh-Why didn't anyone, tell me... I... They... I could have...!" 

The tears finally came as the weight of what this meant pushed her shoulders down. "All that time at school. Wasted. I could've passed... I... I could've..." 

Edited by Mel the DM

Huh, so her name was Renais… cute name, for a cute girl. Tanya couldn’t help but smile at her, an almost infectious joy creeping up on her. Odd, given they were only talking for a couple minutes already, but maybe she missed having company on her journeys for a while.

”Yeah, I was gonna try n’ get some info from the Crows’ leader to try and bring some of her criminal connections to justice, but some elf lad and his mercs came and killed her already. Sucks, but not much I can do for it.” Tanya shrugged, though she had to admit it bothered her just a little bit. “Hey, maybe after this we should get ya a new skirt, then. Might as well treat yourself too, eh?” She added, lightly nudging Renais with her elbow. “And something for your other cute friend here… uh, shit, what’s her name?”

She never mentioned it, but Tanya still wanted to know.

Gean had to stifle the oncoming laugh she had from watching Nyx. "Alright, alright. Enough with the gun show. Personally I think you've got enough skin showing already with the shorts and short sleeves. Let's leave something to the imagination here ok?" 

Gean had finally stopped laughing when she looked up and found the final item she wanted for herself. Instantly grabbing the white poncho for herself, she darted back into the changing room. Waisting no time in removing her jacket she tried it on. "Oh my gods it even has pockets!" She then covered her mouth at the sudden outburst. "My bad!"

So they found something else for Tio. That was fine, Miria wasn't the best dress-picker. And this girl's name was Tanya. She seemed... okay, so far. And some mention of what she was after.

"Their leader? I think I--" she paused for a moment. But she sighed, and just answered, "Sorry for inconveniencing you, but... I think I was the one w-who killed her. Sorry. And um... my name's Miria."

Tanya blinked once, then twice, then thrice. That was… not expected. This little mouse, able to bring down a hardened mercenary, and looking no worse for wear for it? She seemed stunned at first, but that stunned face soon twisted into a grin, teeth baring as she leaned in closer to Miria.

”Oh, I like you.” Well, that probably wasn’t expected! “Yeah, it’s a bit of a pain for me, but I think I found something a lot more interesting than that oversized birdbrain - a cute lil’ mouse.” Oh, dear. She was interested now, and heaven help any mouse caught in the eyes of this cat. Not that she was mean or anything, just a bit… much.

Nyx snorted, a sort of conceding of the point. Hey, she couldn’t help but show off, with the guns she had! Not that it helped people hold interest in her, although maybe it had something to do with all the booze. Whatever, their loss.

Then Gean let out a surprising display of cheer, and Nyx laughed. Not a mean spirited one, mind; rather, it was one sharing in her daughter’s joy in the little things. “Whatcha need them pockets fer, anyways? Y’need a spot to put all yer love letters, Gean~?”

The mood whiplash was kind of unreal. Miria just out and admitted she offed this nice cat lady's target, right in front of her no less! 'MIRIA!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHAT THE FU-'

But before she could finish that thought the next step surprised her: Tanya was actually impressed! She was suddenly (and severely) interested in Miria, more so than she was with Renais' colorful words. The pinkette just stared at the two in disbelief as the situation went in a direction she didn't expect. "...eh?"

Miria hadn't expected the reaction from this Tanya. From the teeth-bearing grin to her response, and lean, Miria was backing up a bit, just to keep some space between her and the cat. Suddenly, a yelp, she tripped on a bench behind her, but caught herself before she crashed.

Embarrassed, she got herself back up, and lightly laughed, "I uh... I'm glad I could, help(?), I guess?" Her face started to go red.

Edited by Silver Gallade

Tanya couldn’t help the chuckle that slipped from her lips, both at Miria’s embarrassment and Renais’s reaction to the whole thing. “Cute. Both of ya are just too cute.” Then, Tanya ruffled Miria’s hair, but with a gentle touch. “Relax, lil’ mouse. I ain’t the type of cat to chew ya up.”

Clearing her throat, Tanya briefly waved her hand in front of Renais’ face to make sure she hadn’t passed out on her feet before continuing. “Wouldn’t have expected you to be able to bring that lady down. And that’s impressive, at least to me. Cute and courageous in equal measure… how could anyone resist that kinda charm?” She finished, with her cheeks slowly turning red as she spoke.

Edited by MRDRHAWK

"Woooow..." Tonio watched with mouth agape at Cin using magic without a tome. He knew that there were people who could; Nana could to some degree, but seeing someone else do it was really exciting. He looked up and smiled at Cin, "I was right; you are really nice. Getting a tome for a friend. I've never heard of someone who can use magic, but can't use tomes... but it's really cool! And, and, yeah, Ri's my sister! She's not here though; she's at the arena! She's one of the arena fighters, and she's super strong! She's really good at light magic! She's the one who taught me about clouded and monsters!" He paused for a moment, "Oh, uh, her name is Risette, but I call her Ri! But I think she goes by Rya at the arena. Neither Ri or Nana will let me go watch. But they promised I'd get to go one day."

His smile had widened all throughout. 

Tio noticed that Alvira was hesitant, and nervous when she held the tome. That put her insistence that this would fail in an entirely different light. Was she looking into it a little too much? Alvira stuck out her hand, and the spell went off without a hitch. Tio couldn't help a smile, but realized that there was nothing but disbelief on Alvira's face. She immediately cast another spell, and then collapsed to her knees. 

"Alvira?! Alvira, are you--" Tio froze as Alvira's words hit her ears. School? Wasted? Tio thought for a moment, and realized that she still didn't know why Alvira despised her, Elisa and Glacies so. But if she'd gone to school, her affinities should have been tested. All of them. That was the basic exam, and not doing so was a mistake of the highest order. But there was the other alternative, and that alternative saw Tio's predominantly dark hair start turning green. Tio knelt down, still a distance from the crumpled dragon, "...Alvira. You, you went to school in Glacies? Where? I... I don't know a single school that doesn't test a student's affinity. Please, I need to know." 

Edited by Mercenary on the Winds

"... Solara," Alvira mumbled, wiping her eyes against her arms-- carefully, to avoid poking them with her scales. "They... Th-They saw how badly I control my ice. And... And they didn't even bother trying, t-to test me for anything else. I passed all the written exams... But I didn't... I c-couldn't pass anything practical." It was an old wound, only getting reopened because of this knowledge. She stared at the light tome with empty eyes, slowly picking it up. "I could've... Done so much better. Passed. Gotten a real job. Real work... Gone to get my siblings, s-so much sooner. Gods..."

It was a weird mix of emotions spinning in her. Her claws gripped the light tome with a ferocity almost trying to tear it apart, but she didn't try and rip it. There was an odd sense of accomplishment flowing into her, fighting against her regrets. Something akin to, hah, take that you worthless professors, I CAN do this, I AM good at magic, it's not my fault this damn ice doesn't work!, clashing against the thoughts she was voicing. It was hard to stay sad; this opened up so many avenues in her future... It just hurt her past to discover it.

Slowly, Alvira picked herself up, hugging the tome and looking down, away from Tio. "... I'm... I'm sorry. For fighting you on this, s-so much. A... A part of me, just... Wanted you to be wrong. Didn't want... To know about the 'what if's attached to you being right. I'll... I'm okay. Thank you..." Lani still needed her shoes... Without thinking, Alvira turned back around to head back in, still clutching Tio's light tome.

"Rya, huh? She uses light magic, right?" He remembered her for sure. The magic she used had been extremely strong. "She's strong, I can see why she fights in the arena. She managed to beat a friend of mine, you know. And she's a trained mercenary. I'm glad she's teaching you about folks like me. It's good to know about people who are different in obvious ways, because it can help you learn that on the inside, we're really just the same. We're all just. People." If only everyone could be like that. Then there wouldn't be so many issues. It was an impossible dream, he knew it. People would always find someone to blame for their problems, and it was so much easier to blame someone who had scales and a tail. But looking at the small boy, joy in his eyes and a smile on his face, he couldn't help but hope for a better future. One where maybe people with Ingverd's outlook on the world were the rarity, and he wouldn't be considered such a naive Clouded.

He shook himself, moving away from that train of thought. Focus on the here and now, that was what was important. "Well then, I'm sure some day, when you're a little bigger, you'll be able to go to the arena. Who knows, maybe some day you'll be strong and good at magic, enough to fight there yourself. For now though, continuing to help out your nana at this shop is good. I'm sure she depends on you a lot. Speaking of that, why don't we go take this tome up to her so I can pay?"

"No you goof! The pants don't have pockets, and I need somewhere to keep my gold." She exited out of the dressing chamber for probably the last time, satisfied with the result. "Fits well, and it's easy to take off if I want to go for a swim. Her previous outfit kept her warm and looked good, but had a lot to take of when she wanted to swim. Which due to her Seafolk nature, the urge to jump in the water was often. It even had a hood on top to round things out. "Yeah I'll go with this." Her confidence had peaked. It was then that she heard a familiar voice yelp from where Gean thought the dresses were. What could have Miria making sounds like that? "I'm gonna check on the girls, and then we can group back up and pay ok?" Gean gave Nyx a quick nod before walking her way over to the source of the sounds.

"Yeah! Ri's really strong-- Wait, your friend fought Ri? Were, were you there too? Did you get to fight Ri?" His curiosity piqued once more, but well, Cinead could answer that on the way to the counter. He nodded his head at Cinead, "Yeah, when I get bigger, I'll get to see Ri fight. And maybe she'll finally teach me magic! But for now, I'm here with Nana! Come on, Nana's probably waiting!" The boy took Cinead's hand, and gently pulled towards the counter. 

The woman listened in, not much else to do in the shop at the moment. She couldn't help but crack a smile at Tonio's unfiltered optimism and joy at meeting a dragon clouded. The clouded was interesting, and much like any other person. She sighed as they approached. She felt a pang of regret; mad at herself that she couldn't quite mirror Tonio's happiness, even knowing that the dragon was hardly any different from her or Tonio. But it was hard to change how she lived her life until this point. 

"Hmm... just the one Wind Tome then?" She didn't bother waiting for them to come directly into view, she'd heard just about everything. 

Alvira explained that she had gone to Solara Academy. The most prestigious magical academy in Glacies, and thus, the alliance as a whole. The very same academy where Tio herself had studied, and been put through hell. "They, they didn't test you for anything else? Nothing?" Tio took a deep breath, and closed her eyes. She needed to relax just a little; releasing her magic in the middle of town was not a great idea. She didn't want to cause any problems, nor draw more eyes than she likely already was. "Gone... to get your, siblings?" That exercise hit a very, very large snag. Alvira had family, and Solara's negligence had jeopardized both Alvira, and them. Her hair finished changing color, now a deep green, and for a moment, Alvira might have felt an overwhelming magical presence. Tio quickly reined herself in.

"Alvira." Tio said, completely dropping any pretense of calm. "...Could, could you please tell me your full name? I, I promised that I would leave you be after this. But, I, I need to send two letters back to Glacies, and your name will need to be a part of it. Solara... is the most prestigious academy on Glacies. It is supposed to be where anyone with the ability can go to learn, and begin to search for their calling. What you just told me... is unacceptable." Tio netted her hands together in front of her, before opening her eyes. "I will say this. Should this mission go according to plan... I will personally make sure that you receive what you should have from Solara. I can see it. You absolutely would have passed if you were given the chance. This... is not going unanswered." 

Miria's shy grumble dissipated once her hair was ruffled. Soon her face had a light smile. She seemed... nice. Just was surprised, it seemed.

"Well, I just did what I felt I needed to do. She was a bad person, trying to hurt my pack. So I answered," Miria spoke, still smiling, but her voice was stern.

"Yeah, we fought. She was tough... Quick, too. Almost beat me, I just got lucky. I use a combination of magic and physical fighting, you see. I use my fire to make gauntlets that I can fight with. Using my hands means I get two attacks where most people get one, but she managed to dodge me. It was impressive, honestly. I have the feeling that if she'd gotten a slightly better hit on me, I would have been down in one hit, just like with my friend. You're right to be proud of her." He smiled as Tonio tugged him along, tiny hand dwarfed by the dragon's scaled one. His enthusiasm was contagious, warming him up as they made their way to the counter.

He smiled at Tonio's nana as they rounded the shelf, nodding in response to her question. "Yes please, just the one tome. You have a very good helper in your grandson here, you know. You're lucky to have him. And he's lucky to have you." I wish I had my grandparents... Mom and dad were great, but such a small family, it's hard. No, he wasn't going to go down that train of thoughts either. He was focused on the good things right now. An enthusiastic boy, who had no problem with him being a clouded and an older woman who, despite her ingrained beliefs, was willing to give him a chance at least.

The sudden burst of magical energy brought her back to reality a little, glancing back at Tio. She was upset, which Alvira could understand. The smallest part of her was smugly satisfied that Tio was understanding things about Glacies; that her beloved country wasn't all sunshine and rainbows... It didn't last long, turning fully to think about answering her question.

"... Alvira Sam'Tara vel Hozt. That's it. Why... Why are you going this far for me? I insulted you. Yelled at you... I'm... I'm just a stranger." She couldn't understand, clutching the tome tighter. "... Th-Thank you," she mumbled, blushing a little. The implied praise of her magical talent was winning her over, too much on top of everything.

"... If. If..." Alvira had thought of this and hadn't wanted to voice it, but since Tio was being so kind and good to her-- the very opposite of the Glacies she seemed to love so much --she wanted to at least ask. "... I don't know how to cast chanted magic, so if you have time to teach me how to properly use light magic, I would appreciate it. That's all... S, See you, then." She made to truly escape this time, scurrying back into the shop. 

"Ahh, uh, hi," she stumbled through to the shop owner, staring at him. "Forgot to give those heels to my friend... Do, you have them?" Her mind was still elsewhere, she just hoped she could continue to enjoy shopping with Lani.

The situation quickly turned from a one on one with Renais and Tanya to a one on one with Miria and Tanya. A little unexpected. The hand wave did annoy her though, she felt like she was being belittled now. "Hmph. Well, seems like you have things handled now Miria." She took the dress she wanted to show Tio. "I'll just find Tio and meet you outside of the shop. Good day." She turned and walked along, leaving the two on their own.

Tonio's smile was now replaced by a look of bewilderment, "Wait you beat Ri?! Woow! Ri's super strong... so that means you have to be super-duper strong to beat her!" 

The older woman couldn't stifle the laugh at Tonio's surprise, "Come now, Tonio. There are plenty of people stronger than Risette." She then nodded at Cinead, "Yes. Tonio is perhaps the best help I could have asked for." She took the tome and looked at it for a moment, "Hmm. That will be 450 gold."

Tio quickly committed the name to memory. Her memory always tended to work better when she was fuming. Tio shook her head at Alvira's question, "Because I believe in Glacies. Solara should have never done something like that, and you--" Tio stopped herself short. It was better to not. "Because I want you, and people like you to be able to live the lives you deserve. You're not different from me, or any other human. I didn't treat you fairly at first either. But friendship starts between two strangers." She took a deep breath, slowly getting a hold of herself. That probably alerted more than a few magically inclined people in the immediate vicinity. "Of... course, Alvira. If you need my help, then I'll do my best to make time."

Alvira disappeared inside, and Tio was left alone for a moment. How absolutely reprehensible... The thought of it was infuriating, and that brought with it a problem. Was she going to be able to remain cordial, and not worry Renais? She promised to come with her, and had barely spent any time. Tio released a sigh, between that, Ingverd, the wagons, and the morning itself, Tio was just about people'd out. But a promise was a promise, and she didn't want to let Renais down. Just relax... and enjoy the moment with Renais. 

Tio wandered back inside, and put her best smile on. Only to find that Renais was now walking towards her. "Aha... did you find something you were interested in, Renais?" Tio may have forgotten that her hair hadn't fully returned to her normal appearance, being half and half at this point. 

Alvira returned to the desk, where the owners were speaking to one another. He smiled and nodded at her, "Mhm... Celes found you a good pair. She was going to give them to your friend directly, but decided it was better to wait for you to come on back." The noblewoman also returned into the shop, and both she and the dragon seemed... not exactly all present. Distant might have been the word. Something occurred. Hopefully they could still enjoy their shopping. "Let us know if you need anything else, yeah?" 

"Ah, haha, I'd say I more got lucky. I've got a long way to go before I'd consider myself, as you say, super duper strong. But, well, I'm a mercenary. Fighting is all I'm good at, so I guess I'm decently strong." He pulled out the gold, handing it over and pocketing the tome. "Thank you, ma'am. I appreciate the help that you and Tonio have given me here, my friend will appreciate this tome a lot, I hope. I'll make sure to let the rest of my group know that if they need any supplies they can stop by here." He looked down at Tonio and smiled. "Now, I've got to go, but you both take care. Tonio, make sure to listen to your nana here and grow up big and strong, alright? Some day, I want to come back here and find you running this place and fighting in the arena, alright? Let your grandma have some quiet years." He ruffled the boy's hair one more time before starting to head for the door with a nod goodbye to the older woman.

"Ye-Yeah. Of course... Thank you." Alvira gave Tio one final glance, trying to ignore who she was speaking to. She took those shoes and headed back over to Lani's changing room, clearing her throat.

"H-Hey, Lani. Sorry for taking so long... here, try these on." She slipped her claw in holding the shoes, hoping she'd take them without much delay.

Tanya only vaguely registered Renais leaving, and waved her off, leaving her to do what she came to - evidently, she was the one interested in this Tio person. Meanwhile, Miria was flashing a small but bright smile, and Tanya couldn’t help but smile back - infectious to a fault, it seemed.

”Well, it still takes guts to do something like that. Pretty tough for a lil’ mouse.” Tanya beamed, her tail flicking behind her. She was genuinely impressed with the smaller girl, even if it was glazed over with her typical flirting.

Whoops, Nyx was letting things slip out of her control. Although, given that Miria seemed to be squeaking around… wait, was that Nattie? No, couldn’t be; her chest was way smaller than the Tiger, and it made Nyx feel a little better about herself. Weird, but hey, whatever got her up in the morning.

”Y’sure ye got everything? Might not get another chance t’grab some clothes, n’we jus’ got a pretty good payout from dealing wit dem Crows.” Nyx inquired, making sure to keep the last part quiet just in case there were ears she didn’t want hearing about their conquest of the former featherheaded inmates running the asylum.

When Tio came into her view she couldn't help but flash another smile. Though she narrowed her eyes at her hair color change. "Did you drop by a hair salon or something?" She half joked. "But anyway, yes. I did. Elisa said she wanted a good dress for you so I found this." She rose up the dark dress she found earlier. "I know it's a little...leggy, but I personally don't like having my legs restricted so I went off of feel. What do you think?" She hoped it would get her seal of approval.

Edited by TheRoon

Tio blinked at Renais's comment. "What are you-- oh. Oooh." She mentally face palmed. Of course her hair had changed color; she'd released her magic for a moment, and it took a short while for her hair to return to its normal color. She didn't press for an answer, so Tio walked past it, and did her best to turn the conversation elsewhere. She looked over the dress; purple was really not too far from her usual midnight blue, though it lacked the pink highlights for contrast. "Oh, leggy isn't much of a problem, Renais. Have you seen what I'm currently wearing?" Tio turned, and gestured to her dress. While it wasn't much compared to the dress Renais was holding, Tio's dress did feature quite a long side slit on her left side. Her legs weren't exactly her strongest charm point, but she was fairly traveled, and had to walk a lot. Even if she complained most of the time. 

A sly smile formed on Tio's face, "Hehe... I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought you would have emphasized the... obvious." The smile then turned genuine, and warm, "Jokes aside, I think you've chosen a wonderful dress. I'd think Elisa would agree too. It's always nice to have something different. Buuuuuut... I see you've only picked a dress for me. I think you're forgetting someone, aren't you?" 

So far, so good. This was calming at least, and she could tease the conversation away from her if need be. But hopefully, she didn't have to anymore than she was going to. 

"Yeah, yeah! Of course I will, Cini!" Tonio paused, "Oh, uh, Cinead!" 

The older woman laughed again, only this time she hadn't tried to stifle it. "You know better than to give someone a nickname without asking, Tonio." She handed Cin the tome, and took the gold. She gave a half smile to Cinead, "Hmm, yes. I'll be sure to help your friends with what I can. I don't... know exactly why you're here in Eibar, but if you can fight Risette and win, I..." The words kind of stuck in her throat. She cleared her throat, before gesturing Cinead to move along, "Be sure to keep your promise to Tonio." 

"Bye-bye, Cin-- Cinead! I'll see you again!" 

Cinead Purchased a Wind Tome!