Special Heroes - Like Clockwork

Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mordecai and Ranulf for next year's NY banner then?

This just feels super predictable, like ... I have nothing to say about it? All the characters just kind of give off the "they'd be nice to have, but I don't really need them" vibe.

Kyza!!!!!

Looks solid. Fafnir finally becomes available, he and Reginn add more Canto 2 ranged attackers, Dagr/Nott look terrifying, and Lyre is a nice bonus.

Since Kyza is a Tiger, he should be Infantry.

And I was right in predicting Dagr & Nótt. Since they have Dagr's Prf B skill, I thought the Duo skill would grant Nótt's Prf B skill effect (dodge), but nope. At least there is no duo skills in AR-D, because... Geez!

Its a pretty nice banner... But also pretty easy to skip to me. Eitri's orbs are safe.

Can we all just appreciate how Ótr got shafted?

Kinda meh on this banner, though that may be because my Orbs are currently reserved for Mirachristmas merges. I do have a passing interest in Duogr, but otherwise I may just grab a Lyre for Catch fodder and stop there.

Yeah, the banner name is certainly on point and accurate.

I'm glad that the two Tellius characters will be fairly easy to get for the collection. And while I usually don't comment on the art, I quite like some of the little touches here (like super kawaii Reginn having an otter plush and Lyre's hand puppet resembling Ranulf).

4 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

Can we all just appreciate how Ótr got shafted?

Daddy IS probably put Otr in timeout after no one wanted to pull for him back in September. That, or he got turned into that otter plush Reginn has.

The banner looks good! I really like the artwork of the Book V characters, especially the Duo Twins! However, after getting the L!Bylass, I'm still trying to recover my stock for the new year and any future New Heroes banners (although there isn't much remaining I'd feel super drawn to). I'll probably pass on the banner this year and try to hit it harder next year. 

Hm... gotta be honest, I've never really been a fan of the design of the Gullinbursti, and even if the predictable happened I kinda hoped they would be dropped... lo and behold...

• Reginn's weapon automatically charges Seidhr Shell on turn 4. That might open up some unique double burst strats if taken good advantage of.
    Cross Spur Atk is interesting... or at least would be more interesting if such an effect wasn't already on a number of units already. Certainly would be good to stack it on them though, Duo Peony would be granting Atk +11 with it.
  • Oh hi Disarm Trap, been a while.
    Hm... gotta be honest, Fafnir doesn't look... interesting isn't the right word, he certainly looks strong. But... there's not really anything here thats not already been done with other units. I suppose the fact that all those effects are on a unit with Canto 2 through Turn 4 is nifty, but... hm...
    Also dangit, all I want is Rouse Spd/Res 4 for Laevatein. Is that so much to ask for?
  • Lyre is the demote as predicted.
    Weapon looks neat... I'd say Kaze has the better version of the weapon with Flashing Blade 4 built into it (slightly more Atk/Spd and Slaying effect), but I'm sure Lyre will be running marathons around Kaze with her base stats alone. Otherwise there's not a lot interesting here. I guess Atk/Spd Catch 3 is neat to have for inheriting Atk/Spd Catch 4 and one other full passive line, but that novelty is niche if it isn't the demote skill.
  • (Ugh my New Year Fjorm looks worse and worse with every new Green Bow flier...)
    ASPush4 conflicts with Sun-Twin Wing, but otherwise solid kit with a solid and mean weapon.
    Duo effect is even meaner though. God, imagine that triggering on all 7 ally units in a Rival Domains battle...
  • Another unit first being introduced as a Tempest Trial reward...?

...I mean they're all strong units, but it's not like I'm particularly interested in any of them.

YES!!! Nótt shows a leg, as I was expecting! And the way Dagr uses her kimono is so badass!!!(the way she just doesnt use one of the sleeves reminds me of Gintoki from Gintama, except that she does it to show her muscled arm 🙂 ), unfortunately I think I could have liked their art more, is not bad of course, but I think that I would have liked it better if it was drawn by someone else (I really like their outfits/designs though) idk why, I like Cuboon's art (like in Summer Byleth and Rhea, Maid Kagero, etc) but for some reason I don't think that their art style fitted Nót and Dagr that much, of course that this is just a matter of personal taste, I don't think that the quality of the art was low nor that its bad or anything, just that I would like it better if it was drawn by someone else.

But what REALLY impressed me was Fafnir's art. ITS GORGEOUS! His outfit is stunning and the artstyle is amazing!!! Its just.. absolutely perfect!!! Really, thats honestly one of the best arts in the WHOLE GAME as for now (I really like the way that Niji Hayashi draws men, they are always so gorgeous, he drew Soiree Eldigan, Ninja Navarre and Resplandescent Raven, but this Fafnir art just managed to beat all of them for me). Really, I can't explain how much I love his outfit, the colors used in it, the details, EVERYTHING. 

Ok, to be honest, the banner is not really as good as I was expecting. I'm probably not even gonna use my orbs here (I thought that Nótt+Dagr would be SO OP, sad that is not as much as I was expecting), not that the units here are bad, but I don't really NEED anyone. Definively going to free pull for Fafnir though, just because of that absolutely staggering art. I HAVE TOO.

32 minutes ago, SockPuppet said:

Ah, I NEED Fafnir! Do you see his damaged art?!  OOF, I am thirsty lol.

Where can I see this? (and is his normal attack art there too?)

Well, IS moved fast and already put out the update so:

Stats and skills [SPOILERS]

Spoiler

83bozdkpn7881.png

Dagr & Nott
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def

Reginn
Super Asset(s): Spd, Res
Super Flaw(s): HP
*Cross Spur Atk requires Spur Atk 3.

Fafnir
Super Asset(s): Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Atk, Res

Lyre
Super Asset(s): Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def, Res
*Atk/Spd Catch 3 is the 4* unlock.

Kyza
Super Asset(s): Spd, Def
Super Flaw(s): none

Kit is:
Polished Fang (Lyre's weapon after replacing every instance of "Spd" with "Def", and it does have the updated beast infantry effect like Nailah's refine)
-
Moonbow
Close Def 3 [4* unlock]
-
Atk/Def Oath 3

Reginn is cute, as always. Fully charging Seidr Shell at the start of turn 4 is really nice. Reducing her Canto to 2 instead of 3 is a bit disappointing, but I guess she makes up for it by being a ranged unit. Cross Spur is... interesting? Its position dependence is rather strict, though, so I don't see it being used all too often, and unlike Joint Drive skills, it doesn't benefit the user.

Fafnir is a fast cavalry dagger with Disarm Trap on his default hit and Canto 2. Also has the offensive half of Null Follow-Up and Guard built into his weapon and a boost to all stats to help him survive counterattacks. Pretty solid unit, and I can see him being rather useful on Aether Raids offense. Shame he doesn't have a custom Special skill of his own, though.

I can't get used to Lyre having young Nanoha's voice. This is weird.

Dagr and Nott look great in black sarashi, and Dagr being Dagr wears her top with one arm out of the sleeve, something I personally associate with archers and the lady that rolls the dice in a gambling den. Her Def and Res leave me a bit worried, though, given that she has Dagr's more offensive exclusive skill and not Nott's bulkier one. Pathfinder as a field buff sounds like a shit-ton of fun to play with.

2 hours ago, Othin said:

One thing I find odd is how Lyre's weapon still uses the old cavalry beast effect. Either she's too early to get the upgrade, or there is none.

It's probably because the infantry common effect just kind of sucked, whereas the common effect for the other movement types is still good.

13 minutes ago, Dylan Corona said:

I'm so excited for Kyza! LGBT representation! According to reddit people Kyza uses they/them pronouns in their info? I can't seem to find that, but if so, I'm excited! That's super cool!

It's on the meet the hero's page right now

The usual translation notes:

The banner name, "Like Clockwork", is "機械仕掛けの年明け" (kikai shikake no toshiake), "Mechanical New Year".

Reginn's epithet, "Bearing Dawn", is "新春の駿馬" (shinshun no shunme), "Swift Horse of the New Year".

Nidavellir Lots is "ニザヴェリルの箱" (nizaveriru no hako), "Nidavellir Box". The box Reginn holds is used for omikuji. The box contains bamboo sticks that come out of a hole in the top of the box. Each stick has a number which matches the number on a drawer that contains the paper fortune sheet. You can see the sticks in her Special art in the video and more clearly in her damaged art on her hero introduction page.

Cross Spur Atk is "攻撃の十字紋章" (kōgeki no jūji monshō), "Cross Emblem of Atk". Contrast with Spur Atk, which is "攻撃の紋章" (kōgeki no monshō), "Emblem of Atk".

Fafnir's epithet, "Fresh Ambition", is "野望の新年" (yabō no shinnen), "New Year of Ambition" or "Ambitious New Year".

Nidavellir Sprig is "ニザヴェリルの花" (nizaveriru no hana), "Nidavellir Flowers".

Lyre's epithet, "Lap Cat of Luxury", is "振袖に浮かれる猫娘" (furisode ni ukareru neko-musume), "Catgirl in Bliss Because She is Wearing a Furisode". A furisode is a fancier kimono with long sleeves, and the word literally means "hanging sleeves". She has a tasuki (the cord around her shoulders) tucking the sleeves up to her body to keep them out of the way.

Sparkling Fang is "賀正の妹猫の爪牙" (gashō no imōto-neko no sōga), "Claws and Fangs of the New Year's Younger-Sister Cat".

Dagr's epithet, "New Year Jotunar", is "巨人姉妹の年明け" (kyojin shimai no toshiake), "Jotun Sisters' New Year".

Jotunar Bow is "巨人姉妹の弓" (kyojin shimai no yumi), "Jotun Sisters' Bow".

Kyza's epithet, "Tiger of Fortune", is "元旦に願う虎戦士" (gantan ni negau tora-senshi), "Tiger Warrior Wishing Upon a New Year".

Polished Fang is "賀正の銀虎の爪牙" (gashō no ginko no sōga), "Claws and Fangs of the New Year's Silver Tiger".

7 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Where can I see this? (and is his normal attack art there too?)

The hero introductions pages for this banner are already up and have all of the art.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The usual translation notes:

The banner name, "Like Clockwork", is "機械仕掛けの年明け" (kikai shikake no toshiake), "Mechanical New Year".

Reginn's epithet, "Bearing Dawn", is "新春の駿馬" (shinshun no shunme), "Swift Horse of the New Year".

Nidavellir Lots is "ニザヴェリルの箱" (nizaveriru no hako), "Nidavellir Box". The box Reginn holds is used for omikuji. The box contains bamboo sticks that come out of a hole in the top of the box. Each stick has a number which matches the number on a drawer that contains the paper fortune sheet.

Cross Spur Atk is "攻撃の十字紋章" (kōgeki no jūji monshō), "Cross Emblem of Atk". Contrast with Spur Atk, which is "攻撃の紋章" (kōgeki no monshō), "Emblem of Atk".

Fafnir's epithet, "Fresh Ambition", is "野望の新年" (yabō no shinnen), "New Year of Ambition" or "Ambitious New Year".

Nidavellir Sprig is "ニザヴェリルの花" (nizaveriru no hana), "Nidavellir Flowers".

Lyre's epithet, "Lap Cat of Luxury", is "振袖に浮かれる猫娘" (furisode ni ukareru neko-musume), "Catgirl in Bliss Because She is Wearing a Furisode". A furisode is a fancier kimono with long sleeves, and the word literally means "hanging sleeves". She has a tasuki (the cord around her shoulders) tucking the sleeves up to her body to keep them out of the way.

Sparkling Fang is "賀正の妹猫の爪牙" (gashō no imōto-neko no sōga), "Claws and Fangs of the New Year's Younger-Sister Cat".

Dagr's epithet, "New Year Jotunar", is "巨人姉妹の年明け" (kyojin shimai no toshiake), "Jotun Sisters' New Year".

Jotunar Bow is "巨人姉妹の弓" (kyojin shimai no yumi), "Jotun Sisters' Bow".

Kyza's epithet, "Tiger of Fortune", is "元旦に願う虎戦士" (gantan ni negau tora-senshi), "Tiger Warrior Wishing Upon a New Year".

What does Kyza's description say in Japanese? As far as pronouns go? Just curious. Thanks!

I never cared too much for new year as a theme. So I actually don't mind that I care about no one other then the giant twins. It has no weapons to fodder of either. So me and my orbs are perfectly  safe.

I would say Kyza was a surprise, but I actually suspected he'd be in too. The whole banner wasn't a surprise which made things a bit too  unexiting for my liking.

I will say Reginn's art looks really nice though.

Edited by Sasori

Just now, Dylan Corona said:

What does Kyza's description say in Japanese? As far as pronouns go? Just curious. Thanks!

Japanese rarely uses third-person pronouns and tends to refer to people by name instead. Additionally, Japanese allows you to drop literally any part of a sentence that is already understood through context without sounding strange, so where there are words that have been dropped, I've added them in brackets in English because they can't be dropped in English. Otherwise, I tried to keep my translations as literal as possible (also leaving in honorifics).

Kyza is referred to by name (as "Kyza-san" because Sharena is the speaker) in every place where they're referenced:

English:

That wooden plaque in Kyza’s hand is called an ema, and it’s a traditional New Year’s item on which you draw or write something that represents your wishes for the coming year. I see they’ve chosen to draw a picture of Ranulf!

Hopefully this wish will help them win Ranulf’s heart in the New Year. Whatever happens, I’m rooting for you, Kyza!

Japanese:

キサさんが持っているのは、自分の願いを書いて神様に捧げる「絵馬」というアイテムです。キサさんが絵馬に描いたのは敬愛する上官、ライさんの姿でした!

キサさんが絵馬に込めた願い…それはライさんのハートをゲットすること。キサさんの切なる乙女心、わたしも応援しています!

What Kyza-san is holding is an item called an "ema" where [one] writes one's own wish to offer to the gods. What Kyza-san has written on [their] ema is [their] loved and respected commander: Ranulf-san's image.

The wish that Kyza-san put into [their] ema... That's to get Ranulf's heart. I'm also going to cheer for Kyza-san's earnest maiden's heart!

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Japanese rarely uses third-person pronouns and tends to refer to people by name instead. Additionally, Japanese allows you to drop literally any part of a sentence that is already understood through context without sounding strange, so where there are words that have been dropped, I've added them in brackets in English because they can't be dropped in English. Otherwise, I tried to keep my translations as literal as possible (also leaving in honorifics).

Kyza is referred to by name (as "Kyza-san" because Sharena is the speaker) in every place where they're referenced:

English:

That wooden plaque in Kyza’s hand is called an ema, and it’s a traditional New Year’s item on which you draw or write something that represents your wishes for the coming year. I see they’ve chosen to draw a picture of Ranulf!

Hopefully this wish will help them win Ranulf’s heart in the New Year. Whatever happens, I’m rooting for you, Kyza!

Japanese:

キサさんが持っているのは、自分の願いを書いて神様に捧げる「絵馬」というアイテムです。キサさんが絵馬に描いたのは敬愛する上官、ライさんの姿でした!

キサさんが絵馬に込めた願い…それはライさんのハートをゲットすること。キサさんの切なる乙女心、わたしも応援しています!

What Kyza-san is holding is an item called an "ema" where [one] writes one's own wish to offer to the gods. What Kyza-san has written on [their] ema is [their] loved and respected commander: Ranulf-san's image.

The wish that Kyza-san put into [their] ema... That's to get Ranulf's heart. I'm also going to cheer for Kyza-san's earnest maiden's heart!

Ah! Well thank you for letting me know and sharing this. That's actually really interesting.