Special Heroes - Like Clockwork

Fire Emblem Fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really happy with Lyre and Kyza as they were two of the characters that risked not getting in the game ever. Kyza almost misses out on Cipher since they got a card at the last possible moment in the last set. 

I gotta say, I'm kinda happy about the new sparking system as I basycally want everyone on thw banner.

And for those lamenting the lack of Otr, don't worry.

Literally all the OCs from the first V books have an alt with four exceptions: Thorr, Hel, Eitri and Otr. I fully expect the four of them to get alts sooner or later. 

And also Elm, Ash, Letizia, Nifl and Muspell in due time.

Yeah, it's pretty much what I thought, though no Otr. Poor Otr. And Reginn. Even on a seasonal banner she can't have both her brothers back...

Anyway, called Kyza as the TT+ unit (though I forgot to write that in my prediction, I think.) Nice to have him in the game. And oh man, Lyre's Ranulf lion-dog puppet is so cute!

As for the twins, did they somehow get even bustier? Kind of wish they weren't the duo; it would've been nice to have them as separate units. Also, I'm a little disappointed that their outfits are so similar to their usual outfits. They could have done anything, but it's like they really wanted to keep the white and black thing going. The gears on Reginn and Fafnir's kimono are nice, and their art's pretty good! And does Reginn have an otter plush? It's cute, but where did that come from? I guess she is a little bit otter-li- OH MAN IS THAT A PUN ON "OTR?" X3 Cuuuuute! I'm a little disappointed that Reginn and Otr are in their mechs, though. It would've been nice having them without those, but at least Reginn's not in her weird horse tail underpants outfit. I also hope this doesn't mean we don't get regular Fafnir (that he's not wielding a lance and that Reginn's other version also has her mech gives me hope), but regardless, this Fafnir is definitely from juuuust before the crown began to really drive him crazy. Wonder if he's having headaches yet.

I'm glad Kyza is free. I may see if I can't nab Fafnir. Glad he's playable!

Is it me or does Kyza come off a bit campy in his tone, pose and dialogue? I know he was an offensive stereotype in the original version and overly stuffy in the localized version. He certainly doesn't seem very stuffy now. 

And does Reginn have an otter plush?

Sharena: ''She also brought a plush otter toy to accessorize her look. Wait a minute… Otter… Ótr… No, never mind. I thought I was onto something for a moment there!''

Seems both brothers are present after all.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

7 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

But what REALLY impressed me was Fafnir's art. ITS GORGEOUS! His outfit is stunning and the artstyle is amazing!!! Its just.. absolutely perfect!!! Really, thats honestly one of the best arts in the WHOLE GAME as for now (I really like the way that Niji Hayashi draws men, they are always so gorgeous, he drew Soiree Eldigan, Ninja Navarre and Resplandescent Raven, but this Fafnir art just managed to beat all of them for me). Really, I can't explain how much I love his outfit, the colors used in it, the details, EVERYTHING. 

Where can I see this? (and is his normal attack art there too?)

You can see all the art on Sharena's "meet the heroes" thingity.

And man, I know what you mean about that artwork! It has a lot of subtleties in the face and the pose that just really elevate it. That's some high-class art right there, and I really appreciate that his crit pose is slightly different from his regular attack pose, too. It's just beautiful. I think I need to pull him, even though (stats spoilers below)

Spoiler

he's another high-def cav with okay spd and low res. I don't tend to like my units with high def/res and low res/def, but I guess I'll just go with it this time. Hoping for a +spd version of him! (And quickly, since I have like...20 orbs or something.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Polished Fang is "賀正の銀虎の爪牙" (gashō no ginko no sōga), "Claws and Fangs of the New Year's Silver Tiger".

Added Kyza's weapon to the translation notes now that the Tempest Trials announcement is out.

Also, since we don't have a separate thread yet and now that the announcement is out, I'm glad we're finally getting the Sacred Seal for Fury in this Tempest Trials. Eldigan is going to have a blast getting himself killed, and it will be glorious to see his gigantic pile of visible stats.

Atk Opening is whatever.

6 hours ago, Lemmy said:

It's on the meet the hero's page right now

NICE! And it mentions them being into Ranulf as well.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's probably because the infantry common effect just kind of sucked, whereas the common effect for the other movement types is still good.

I wasn't expecting it for all four (we already knew fliers weren't changing), just infantry and cavalry since I found them both underwhelming compared to fliers and armors.

Edited by Othin

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

I wasn't expecting it for all four (we already knew fliers weren't changing), just infantry and cavalry since I found them both underwhelming compared to fliers and armors.

The cavalry common effect is a slightly toned down Sturdy/Mirror Impact (effectively +4/0/4/4) where the stat effects alone are already better than the old infantry common effect (effectively +5/0/0/0 if you land one Special over two hits), and the Impact effect is good in general. The update to the infantry common effect really just boosts it up to the same level as the cavalry common effect.

Additionally, if you compare the cavalry common effect to the flier common effect, the stats on the cavalry common effect actually push cavalry beasts to a higher effective stat total than flier beasts (modern melee cavalry have ~173 compared to modern melee fliers with ~177) plus the Impact effect with the same movement range. The only downside for cavalry is the terrain restrictions on movement (excluding enemy-phase performance since neither are suited for it outside of very specific units).

(Also, flier beasts are vulnerable to Stall, though it's not relevant yet. Give it a couple more months, and we'll probably get some units with more lenient targeting conditions.)

8 hours ago, Dylan Corona said:

I'm so excited for Kyza! LGBT representation! According to reddit people Kyza uses they/them pronouns in their info? I can't seem to find that, but if so, I'm excited! That's super cool!

Kyza is supposed to in the Japanese be a combination of stereotypical effeminate gayness & a professional soldier. The English version played up his no-nonsense studiousness and buried his flamboyance.

Part of this flamboyance is Kyza's choice of Japanese pronoun. Japan has many pronouns. Although they actually use them less than in English I'm told, and pronouns don't define everything about a character, but they can be useful indicators. I was informed Kyza uses atashi sometimes, which is very odd for a man. Atashi is used by women normally, often tomboys, but pretty much any woman can use it, usually in casual conversation (watashi being the standard formal situation pronoun for both sexes). Effeminate men, be they gay or trans or crossdressers and sometimes none of the above, often use atashi in Japanese popular entertainment. Thats one clue Kyza is gay.

Also, in his Base Conversation with Lyre in RD, there is this line.:

Kyza  Stuck up?! Your mother would be ashamed at your lack of manners!  失敬な!
グラマラスって言いなさいよ!!▼ 
Such rudeness!
Call me "glamorous"!

The blatant line they had to bury to the right, the localization to the left. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Part of this flamboyance is Kyza's choice of Japanese pronoun. Japan has many pronouns. Although they actually use them less than in English I'm told, and pronouns don't define everything about a character, but they can be useful indicators. I was informed Kyza uses atashi sometimes, which is very odd for a man. Atashi is used by women normally, often tomboys, but pretty much any woman can use it, usually in casual conversation (watashi being the standard formal situation pronoun for both sexes). Effeminate men, be they gay or trans or crossdressers and sometimes none of the above, often use atashi in Japanese popular entertainment. Thats one clue Kyza is gay.

The choice of first-person pronouns is played up in fictional works as a means of defining and differentiating characters, whereas the differentiation is less marked in real life.

After going through all of Kyza's lines from the Japanese script for Radiant Dawn (easy because Kyza barely speaks), they most commonly use the pronoun "私", which says very little, but in the Chapter 3-7 base conversation with Ranulf and Lyre, they use "あたし" (atashi) instead and only in this conversation. All of their lines in Heroes use the pronoun "私", and none of their voiced lines have a first-person pronoun at all.

You may have noticed that I haven't given a pronunciation for "私" in the way that I usually do, and that's because its pronunciation is ambiguous. Its most common pronunciation is "watashi", which is general feminine and formal masculine. However, it also has pronunciations "atashi" (colloquial feminine, generally conveys outgoingness and self-confidence) and "watakushi" (formal feminine and very formal masculine, most commonly used in fiction by butlers, maids, and holier-than-thou rich girls) along with a bunch of less common pronunciations. Howeverever, in formats with no voice over and no ability to include ruby text, pronunciations other than the most common "watashi" are typically written out phonetically, like with Kyza's use of "あたし" (atashi) in their base conversation or Leon's use of "アタシ" (atashi) literally everywhere. It's very possible that Kyza uses "watashi" when in their capacity as a soldier, but "atashi" in more private settings.

It is, however, worth noting that Kyza does use the "わ" (wa) sentence-ending particle, which is exclusively feminine, as does Leon, and is also typical of the campy Japanese gay stereotype.

Lyre is the most unique of the bunch, imo. Reginn and Fáfnir are similar to their base forms, just in different weapon classes. Dagr is basically Pirate Hinoka with a different duo skill.

Also, new tempest trials has Fury as the final sacred seal reward

And THAT MEANS FURY 10 IS A REALITY BOYS, WOOHOO

So I was checking Kyza's page on FE wiki and got pretty confused. Ok, now they are confirmed as non binary, but before their debut in FEH what was the deal?

It is said in their trivia that the Fire Emblem 20th Anniversary Encyclopedia section on Kyza is titled "The body is male, the heart is female?", so (before Heroes) was Kyza a trans woman that for some reason (probably mostly because prejudice, and for being a soldier) couldn't publicly  assume her identity as a woman but in front of her close firends? Or he was just a gay guy that avoided to act flamboyant in front of others to not raise suspicion/to be taken more seriously, and the FE 20th Anniversry Enciclopedia wanted to find a way to say "He is a dude that acts in a effeminate way" so they came up with the way more rude and confusing alternative "The body is male, the heart is female" (as if saying that because you're act like a women you're basically one yourself)? 

2 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

07lauxkr9b881.png

Here its another picture.

Oh, tnx. Blue is by far the worst color here for me, all the others are pretty decent.

50 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

So I was checking Kyza's page on FE wiki and got pretty confused. Ok, now they are confirmed as non binary, but before their debut in FEH what was the deal?

It is said in their trivia that the Fire Emblem 20th Anniversary Encyclopedia section on Kyza is titled "The body is male, the heart is female?", so (before Heroes) was Kyza a trans woman that for some reason (probably mostly because prejudice, and for being a soldier) couldn't publicly  assume her identity as a woman but in front of her close firends? Or he was just a gay guy that avoided to act flamboyant in front of others to not raise suspicion/to be taken more seriously, and the FE 20th Anniversry Enciclopedia wanted to find a way to say "He is a dude that acts in a effeminate way" so they came up with the way more rude and confusing alternative "The body is male, the heart is female" (as if saying that because you're act like a women you're basically one yourself)? 

Assuming that's a translation from Japanese, it's likely something like the term "乙女心" (otomegokoro), which literally translates as "a maiden's heart", or "心は乙女" (kokoro wa otome), which literally translates as "[his] heart is a maiden". I'm pretty sure both are meant specifically to refer to romantic interest and not gender identity, with this particular term also having a connotation of wearing one's heart on their sleeve.

It's worth noting that "心は乙女" (kokoro wa otome) is also just Leon's Japanese epithet in Heroes, and Sharena refers to Kyza's crush on Ranulf as their "乙女心" (otomegokoro).

The most reasonable conclusion in my eyes is that Kyza in Japanese is a gay man, whereas in the localization, they are non-binary, AMAB, and romantically attracted to men.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the Japanese language doesn't really distinguish between sex and gender. Unlike in English where the two are often conflated or used interchangeably (partly because the word "sex" is taboo in American purity culture), in Japanese, the two are literally the same word.

Edited by Ice Dragon

6 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

Literally all the OCs from the first V books have an alt with four exceptions: Thorr, Hel, Eitri and Otr. I fully expect the four of them to get alts sooner or later. 

And also Elm, Ash, Letizia, Nifl and Muspell in due time.

Every FEH original should not be entitled a seasonal alt just because they’re a FEH original, especially when they’re as woefully unpopular as Otr.

It’s also hella unfair to actually popular characters (Ayra, among many others, sends their regards) from the main series to keep getting denied alts just so the likes of Mirabilis, Hrid and Ylgr can all have one

So I'm curious. does anyone know what Shinon says to Kyza in the Japanese version? In the English version he scoffs about how Kyza is trying to act civilized despite being a ''sub human'' due to him talking like a stuffy officer, but in the Japanese version he doesn't talk like that. Is Shinon ''just'' being racist in the Japanese version or does he act prejeduced towards LBGTQ people too?

I still want Otr, Fafnir and Regin to be on the summer banner. Otr being all weird about his big brother in a swimsuit while going ''Regin! If you drown I'll be big brothers only remaining beach mate! Muhahahaha!'' 

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

My impression is that the way the English Heroes page refers to Kyza could fit them being either nonbinary (they/them pronouns as their chosen neutral language) or as a closeted trans woman (they/them pronouns as a generic placeholder for someone not ready to publicly use she/her). Either way, the takeaway is that they're some form of AMAB trans and using neutral language.

The first I heard about Kyza being queer was some discussions earlier this year, where people seemed to generally view them as either a gay man or a closeted trans woman but couldn't find a clear indication of which.

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So I'm curious. does anyone know what Shinon says to Kyza in the Japanese version? In the English version he scoffs about how Kyza is trying to act civilized despite being a ''sub human'' due to him talking like a stuffy officer, but in the Japanese version he doesn't talk like that. Is Shinon ''just'' being racist in the Japanese version or does he act prejeduced towards LBGTQ people too?

Kyza is just as stuffy in Japanese everywhere outside of the base conversation with Ranulf and Lyre. It's only during that base conversation where Kyza stops behaving like a soldier, and this is notable as the only time they don't use "watashi" and instead refer to themselves as "atashi". As far as I can tell from the script, Ranulf and Lyre are probably the only people who are even aware of the fact that Kyza is queer. Granted, the only other people Kyza even interacts with outside of supports are Shinon and Ike, and the only supports Kyza has with unique dialogue are Ranulf and Soren (both of which are done with the soldier persona).

And Shinon is exactly the same in Japanese as in English in that scene. Kyza is just a dull and boring Laguz soldier to him.

As far as the voice actors for Lyre and Kyza go, they didn't bother getting anyone new in either language.

Lyre
Japanese: Yukari Tamura [Laegjarn, who just got an alt in November]
English: Kelly Baskin [Letizia, though you can only find voice lines for her on the FEH website at this point]

Kyza
Japanese: Nobunaga Shimazaki [M!Corrin and M!Kana, the former got an alt in November]
English: Landon McDonald [Elm]

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's very possible that Kyza uses "watashi" when in their capacity as a soldier, but "atashi" in more private settings.

That would align with this art book page's translation.:

Spoiler

L5jqZaG.png

And thank you for your actual (as opposed to my hearsay) understanding of Japanese!😃

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

EDIT: It's also worth noting that the Japanese language doesn't really distinguish between sex and gender. Unlike in English where the two are often conflated or used interchangeably (partly because the word "sex" is taboo in American purity culture), in Japanese, the two are literally the same word.

Ah, so it's at least partially linguistic.

Although I can imagine that Japan hasn't quite sorted out understanding the gender-sexuality divide in the culture of the masses either. The way America gradually (if controversially b/c culture wars) has in recent years. Particularly not back in 2007, or 2015 with Fates.

Reginn: Bearing Dawn is neat. Canto 2 is still pretty good, especially when considering that most ranged units have Canto Rem. who do not get extra movement if they used it all up before hand. She will be real useful in Summoner Duels.

Fáfnir: Fresh Ambition is the same as above, and also useful for Summoner Duels. Can also run Windsweep.

Lyre: Lap Cat of Luxury is really cute. As a unit though, I guess she could be a decent Galeforcer, but nothing too impressive.

Kyza: Tiger of Fortune does not seem too impressive. I guess he can be Spd stacked for Galeforce, but I cannot think of anything that he could actually be relevant in.

I am less than impressed with Dagr: New Year Jötnar. She needs Desperation or Sweep in the Sacred Seal slot to be less vulnerable, and those are not out as Seals yet.

Fury Sacred Seal is nice. Atk Opening is okay I guess.