Smash Ultimate has horrible controls

♠Soul♠

As a competitive Smash player for years (10 years since Brawl), Ultimate is the only game I realised it's literally the game's fault for being so shitty. I used to never complain or blame about my own character, and it was always my "fault". I always checked myself first, and felt "i just played bad", until I realised Ultimate is literally is holding me back. The controls are ass and irresponsive, half the time it's like it does something else I didn't even do. And 80% of the time it feels I'm losing to bad controls and input delay/bad monitors rather than getting super outplayed.

There's so many people I used to beat somewhat easily without even needing to practice a lot, but Ultimate changed. And it's no surprise to me a lot of these people prefer this game, since it outright benefits them.

If you're a technical player putting in the heart and effort, the joke's probably on you. If you're a newcomer and you have a really basic playstyle, you can PR in your locals within months, since that's all it takes.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

• eclipse changed the title to Smash Ultimate has bad controls
6 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

How long did you actually purchase Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Also, are you using the Joy-Cons while playing the game since they did have the Drift Controls for the Joy Sticks?

I've played it since it came out, and bought it 3 years ago.

And yes, I do use Joycons, but I also tried GC a 4-5 month period to see if they were the problem, and I liked it even less. And while I also had drift, I managed to fix it on my own without any issue. My issue is with the actual game, not with the controller I'm using.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

I got my ass thwomped royally when I played ultimate online, so much harder to fight ppl than in Smash 4 when I was playing it (I mean pub not against friends). Like...I must have played about 6 games most recently and lost every one, most of the time each player was expertly predicting my attacks and destroying me.

I don't think it was the controls the players were just too good.

In smash 4 I was pretty terrible but I was probably winning around 30-40% of my 1v1 matches for glory at least, and the other player would usually be on their last life when I died. And very occasionally I would face a player I could utterly defeat w/ out dying or something like that.

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

I've played competitive Smash for over 10 years, and Ultimate is the only time I ever felt that way about any of them. If anything, I spent the first two years wondering why everything felt so damn weird.

Fuck off with with some catchy phrase you just picked up.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

On 1/5/2022 at 10:12 PM, ♠Soul♠ said:

I've played competitive Smash for over 10 years, and Ultimate is the only time I ever felt that way about any of them. If anything, I spent the first two years wondering why everything felt so damn weird.

I don't play competitive Smash, but I don't see any difference in the controls between this and Melee/Brawl/Smash 4. I play on a Gamecube controller, by the way.

Fuck off with with some catchy phrase you just picked up.

That's a well-known idiom here in the UK that I first heard when I was ten years old. Sorry it hasn't made it to your part of the world.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 1/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't play competitive Smash, but I don't see any difference in the controls between this and Melee/Brawl/Smash 4.

Kind of exposes the problem to be honest.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

That's a well-known idiom here in the UK that I first heard when I was ten years old. Sorry it hasn't made it to your part of the world.

Oh yeah, I've definitely heard it before. Provided, the phrase doesn't exclude a good workman from blaming his tools- what a good workman does it left unsaid. He may or may not complain about his tools, depending on the situation.

Far be it from me to rush to the defense of a guy who plays competitive Smash Brothers, though.

On 1/6/2022 at 7:37 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't play competitive Smash, but I don't see any difference in the controls between this and Melee/Brawl/Smash 4. I play on a Gamecube controller, by the way.

Alright, I overreacted. At the time, it was kind of "touchy" subject in the way you responded, so I do apologise for getting back to you that way.

But yeah, it's a definitely a thing, and you realise it as you progress within a competitive enviroment. The more you improve, you realise it demands a certain standard to how comfterble you feel with your controls. If you see a player like M2K (Top 5 best in Melee and Brawl at the time), you'll see dude has like 40 different controllers he used for Melee (a very technically demanding game).

Again, you're not into this stuff, but I'm just giving you an example, granted Ultimate isn't nearly as technical demanding as Melee.

Edited by ♠Soul♠

• 1 month later...

I do know of Slippi, but it's also only based on Maylay. Melee players are currently doing really good, and it's a Golden Era to be or become a Melee player.

I never got hooked into Melee, and the closest thing (beyond that short 2013 phase) is liking Skull Kid in Beyond Melee (another mod).