Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

I guess we could get CYL remixes, but IS could just keep going the route they started with Brave Ike and give the other braves resplendent versions. It would be nice if these ones (at least) weren't Feh Pass exclusive, and had alternative ways of getting the items needed to switch between the regular and resplendent versions.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

There's also the fact that Marianne and GK have unique niches compared to Eirika and Marth, who fit existing roles and just happen to do very well in them, which means the first two potentially have a longer shelf life.

Marianne's gimmick still requires combat, so it also has a similarly limited shelf life, as her combat stats will eventually be overshadowed, making it harder for her to activate the effect.

Gatekeeper has the benefit of his gimmick not being reliant on combat, so he can use teammates with Save skills to get the full benefit of his unique skill effects without needing his stats to be able to keep up. However, teams using Save skills typically don't need Detailed Report's effect, as Savior serves essentially the same purpose of forcing the opponent to engage combat with a bulkier unit, though teleportation denial is still useful on a Save team to prevent teams with Harmonic Catria from being able to set up.

I personally think Eirika has more longevity than Marianne due to her superior combat performance and access to Canto [2], which is still rare enough to be considered a gimmick, and a useful one at that, considering the rarity of Trace skills and the fact that Canto [Rem. +1] is less reliable for hit-and-run applications.

Hmm, I've always been voting for Farina to help get her into the game, and now that she's finally here I'm not entirely sure what to do. Part of me wants to vote for Morgan and Morgan, but I'd rather not split my votes. I'm leaning towards voting for Elincia to encourage IS giving her more alts because she absolutely deserves them. I've never been concerned with the actual winners and I'm not going to break that trend now.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, GrandeRampel said:

Last year I voted for Dorothy, Dithorba (YAY!), Phila and Malice (YAY!), with 3 votes for Eirika in order to secure her victory.

The year before it was Ladislava, Dorothy, Lilith (YAY!), Petrine (YAY!), Heather, Mozu and Bernie.

I'm really not sure this year. I could either keep voting for unreleased faves who are missing from the game like every other year, something like Dorothy, Mozu, Phila, Heather, Ladislava, Elena, Nuibaba.

Or I could just go all-in for Dorothy who is the character I want the most and by a lot. I guess the next banner could be Binding Blade and she could be on it, which might shake things up a bit so I will have to wait and see.

As for who will win the whole thing. I'm hoping for Bernie (and for Heroes OCs) but I'm pretty sure the ones who are guaranteed are Chrom and the Byleths which I don't mind winning at all.

Yaaaaay potentially another Elena vote! If you do choose to give her one or more, thank you in advance! I really want to see her in the game, myself. ^_^

13 hours ago, KMT4ever said:

Hmm, I've always been voting for Farina to help get her into the game, and now that she's finally here I'm not entirely sure what to do. Part of me wants to vote for Morgan and Morgan, but I'd rather not split my votes. I'm leaning towards voting for Elincia to encourage IS giving her more alts because she absolutely deserves them. I've never been concerned with the actual winners and I'm not going to break that trend now.

If you like voting for units who aren't in the game yet, and want to vote for a Tellius lady, then why not give Elena a vote or two? She actually holds more overall story importance than Elincia does, but gets almost 0 recognition, so a lot of people forget she exists. It would be great if she could make it into heroes so that people can know who she is! ^_^

Just now, Lemmy said:

Mist’s staff refine makes me hesitant to vote for Elana, she might just get her staff, and I’m not a fan of it.

That's not really a thing they do. The only time a new unit was added with an existing prf that was already refinable was Linus with Basilikos, and he seems to be a one-off oddity from while the refine system was still new. And even he ended up getting his own prf later on anyway.

5 hours ago, Lemmy said:

Mist’s staff refine makes me hesitant to vote for Elana, she might just get her staff, and I’m not a fan of it.

Alternative out there choice, make Elena a tome unit using Lehran's Medallion.

This should be an interesting CYL this year, as I don’t see any remaining lords popular enough to be voted for other than Chrom. I’m split between Fjorm, Laegjarn, and Rhea

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Alternative out there choice, make Elena a tome unit using Lehran's Medallion.

That's totally out of character for her and it wouldn't even work as a fallen version for her since she's not affected by it. I could see that maybe for Fallen Griel, though. (But really, it's much more likely to be a unique skill or weapon effect instead of a full weapon, if it's included in anything other than the concept and artwork.)

26 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

That's totally out of character for her and it wouldn't even work as a fallen version for her since she's not affected by it. I could see that maybe for Fallen Griel, though. (But really, it's much more likely to be a unique skill or weapon effect instead of a full weapon, if it's included in anything other than the concept and artwork.)

I didn't say she should do it as a fallen unit.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I didn't say she should do it as a fallen unit.

The second part addressed the potential of a fallen unit, but the first part addressed her using it (the medallion) as a weapon while not as a fallen unit. It's not in-character, so the only way for her to use it would be if she was corrupted somehow. The most logical way for that to happen would be if it was the medallion itself doing that (since it's being used as a weapon here) but she's not affected by it so that wouldn't work.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

The second part addressed the potential of a fallen unit, but the first part addressed her using it (the medallion) as a weapon while not as a fallen unit. It's not in-character, so the only way for her to use it would be if she was corrupted somehow. The most logical way for that to happen would be if it was the medallion itself doing that (since it's being used as a weapon here) but she's not affected by it so that wouldn't work.

Well attacking with a staff would be out of character for her too (not that we really have any decent indication of her character). At the very least it would give her more pathos rather than being the six millionth staff infantry. And it'd use, basically, her only defining trait other than being a mother.

Edited by Jotari

On 1/5/2022 at 7:23 AM, Jotari said:

Well attacking with a staff would be out of character for her too (not that we really have any decent indication of her character). At the very least it would give her more pathos rather than being the six millionth staff infantry. And it'd use, basically, her only defining trait other than being a mother.

There's a lot more to her than that, and some good indicators of the kind of person she is, but I've already detailed that in my analysis of her, which is linked in my sig if you're curious. She's humble, compassionate, loyal, and brave, among other things, to give the short list. I wouldn't mind her as a staff infantry, but obviously she could be a sword cav or a blue tome user, too, if we're going with canon classes. It's not out of character for her to use other various weapons, but it is for her to use the medallion. Her whole mission and actions show that she is against the medallion being used, so using it herself makes as much sense as Sigurd being Alvis' best man at his (Alvis') wedding to Dierdre. That's what I mean by "out of character," in case the wording itself wasn't clear. Attacking with a staff would not be out of character, but using the medallion would be.

15 minutes ago, Othin said:

I wonder if the CYL6 first place winners will be classified as Ascended Heroes.

I don't think so. That would require IS to give us at least 1 free floret (since the players get a free CYL winner) and then a whole banner of floret-givers.

47 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I don't think so. That would require IS to give us at least 1 free floret (since the players get a free CYL winner) and then a whole banner of floret-givers.

I just mean two of them, not all four. And each unit only gives a floret the first time you summon them, so it would add a maximum of two, with an option to use the free summon on one of them. It's not unlike when florets launched in the first place and they gave one to everyone plus a second to people who summoned/sparked Fjorm.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

I just mean two of them, not all four. And each unit only gives a floret the first time you summon them, so it would add a maximum of two, with an option to use the free summon on one of them. It's not unlike when florets launched in the first place and they gave one to everyone plus a second to people who summoned/sparked Fjorm.

That follows with how IS introduces new rewards, though. They tend to give a free one to give the players a taste, and then you have to gather the rest yourself. Anyway, I don't see them deviating from the previous pattern, but you never really know for sure with IS.

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

That follows with how IS introduces new rewards, though. They tend to give a free one to give the players a taste, and then you have to gather the rest yourself. Anyway, I don't see them deviating from the previous pattern, but you never really know for sure with IS.

Giving a bit of extra access on special occasions also fits. Like the anniversary Forma Soul.

After Eirika's victory I have 0 stakes on CYL as any other unit I like enough to vote for isn't in the run to get an alt to begin with and are already in the game in some form of another (I was going to vote for Lyre to get her in, but she's in now so...). I'll probably split my votes between Tine, Syrene and Athos.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:42 PM, SynthGreen said:

I will as always be voting Chrom, with maybe a vote to spare for Olivia just so they are in the barracks together, even though I know they won't win together. 

Honestly I have my doubts Chrom will even win. People talk like he is a guarantee due to his large lead but...

Seliph didn't get an alt this year except the secondary character in a harmonic. 
Felix didn't get anything at all. 
M Byleth was the sec nondairy in a duo while F Byleth led, which may hurt his fans and cause a rally. 

Meanwhile Chrom got a resplendent 

But at the same time, Chrom grew in 20k votes from CYL4 so he seems like a lock...except twitter trends pointed that his votes were mostly from an uptick of Seliph fans voting for Chrom to "beat" GK and they failed. Those votes are going back to Seliph, and gatekeeper votes are going to Felix or Byleth, or others but almost never Chrom. 

So Chrom is going down in votes while his three biggest competitors are going up.

Add on that Chrom fans are talking like him winning is a lock, and at the end of the day I am not sold that he will win this one. Maybe 7, but by then there will be a new Echoes game, announced if not released (hopefully) and the CYL will go to characters from that game. Even if it is just an announcement, you can still vote characters from it since they are remakes. 

So I am voting Chrom, but I don't think he has the biggest chances of winning. I think he may stay in third place, maybe return to fourth like 1,3 and 4

OK what makes you think Seliph fans would vote for Chrom? Even if they did they would only give like 3000 to 4000 votes which isnt alot.

And even before the actual results I still made it to 3rd place while he dropped.

7 hours ago, Mercakete said:

There's a lot more to her than that, and some good indicators of the kind of person she is, but I've already detailed that in my analysis of her, which is linked in my sig if you're curious. She's humble, compassionate, loyal, and brave, among other things, to give the short list. I wouldn't mind her as a staff infantry, but obviously she could be a sword cav or a blue tome user, too, if we're going with canon classes. It's not out of character for her to use other various weapons, but it is for her to use the medallion. Her whole mission and actions show that she is against the medallion being used, so using it herself makes as much sense as Sigurd being Alvis' best man at his (Alvis') wedding to Dierdre. That's what I mean by "out of character," in case the wording itself wasn't clear. Attacking with a staff would not be out of character, but using the medallion would be.

Using the medallion as a tome isn't something that's shown to even be possible. If it were though i wouldn't see any reason she wouldn't use the medallion to protect the medallion. She is meant to be perfectly balanced between order and chaos (unless that was just some localisation change which I think someone says it is in regards to Mist).

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Using the medallion as a tome isn't something that's shown to even be possible. If it were though i wouldn't see any reason she wouldn't use the medallion to protect the medallion. She is meant to be perfectly balanced between order and chaos (unless that was just some localisation change which I think someone says it is in regards to Mist).

It's not that they're balanced between order and chaos so much as they're on the side of balance/order, heavily aligned with it, just like the herons are. That's why they can hold the medallion without going crazy. If anything, they have heron/Ashera powers, which counterbalances the medallion's chaotic energy. And she wouldn't use the medallion because it "holds an evil god."

57 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

It's not that they're balanced between order and chaos so much as they're on the side of balance/order, heavily aligned with it, just like the herons are. That's why they can hold the medallion without going crazy. If anything, they have heron/Ashera powers, which counterbalances the medallion's chaotic energy. And she wouldn't use the medallion because it "holds an evil god."

Well herons don't attack on Tellius either,because it's completely out of character for them to do so (well except Reyson that one time). Not like that gets in the way of giving them a weapon in Heroes.