Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

What's even the criteria for a Gatekeeper vote to qualify as being for the "meme"?

Gatekeeper was already a popular and funny NPC. Like with Veronica in CYL2, the midterm results showed him as a potential novel CYL winner, a character not yet playable in Heroes who was unlike any previous ones. In both cases, those midterm results functioned as a question to the voters: "This is a thing that could happen. Do you want to see what it would look like?" And voters flocked to them, showing that their answer was yes.

What does it mean for a vote to be a "meme" in that context? Does it mean the voter must have had no interest in actually seeing or obtaining a Brave Gatekeeper? If so, I don't think there were enough of those to matter. Gatekeeper could have lost a third of his votes and still taken 1st, or lost half his votes and still taken 2nd. I think the vast majority of the votes did come from people who genuinely wanted to see what it would be like for Heroes to add a CYL version of such an unusual character, and people seem to think they delivered plenty well on him.

I think the real takeaway here isn't insincere "meme" votes, but that there is genuine interest in novel/unconventional CYL winners, and that when the midterms show one specific novel candidate within striking range of victory, those people are effective at uniting to pool their later votes behind that character, to propel them ahead of the more scattered "conventional" voting blocs. And that could easily happen again! But that doesn't make it a meme.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess I have no idea for CYL 6... All the characters I really care already won, so I don't know who will receive my votes.

Maybe Male Robin, since I like him.

I would like for CYL to not be full of Three Houses characters again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I'm not ignoring anything, but as I said, this discussion has gotten off topic. I've tried to explain my argument as well as I can, but at this point, I don't think we can actually get anywhere by discussing it anymore. So, I'm dropping it and leaving it as "IS will do what IS will do."

I didn't say you were ignoring anything. I mean you general.  As in one. I get that you have nothing else to say.  Jysff responded because I still wanted to say I'd like it as a B or C skill if not a weapon as I feel it's a defining trait even if not used as a weapon.

20 hours ago, Kori said:

It's true that it's a big element of her character, but equally true that, since she carries it precisely because she is one of the few people it doesn't affect, she wouldn't chose to use it to fight. A skill sounds right, maybe not representing the medallion itself but something referencing her order alignment, that lets her ignore debuffs, and called Medallion Bearer or something of the sort?

That makes a whole lot more sense to me, and more of what I was saying in the first place. Like, I could see her having a built-in Recovery effect (as in Odd/Even Recovery) to her weapon or as a part of a unique skill, and/or maybe having a skill with a somewhat similar effect to one of Ashera's. Huh, you know, thinking about it... Elena's kind of the anti-Miciah in that way, I guess (or rather, could be) since Miciah's so tied to Yune: Ashera's other half.

16 hours ago, Othin said:

What's even the criteria for a Gatekeeper vote to qualify as being for the "meme"?

Gatekeeper was already a popular and funny NPC. Like with Veronica in CYL2, the midterm results showed him as a potential novel CYL winner, a character not yet playable in Heroes who was unlike any previous ones. In both cases, those midterm results functioned as a question to the voters: "This is a thing that could happen. Do you want to see what it would look like?" And voters flocked to them, showing that their answer was yes.

What does it mean for a vote to be a "meme" in that context? Does it mean the voter must have had no interest in actually seeing or obtaining a Brave Gatekeeper? If so, I don't think there were enough of those to matter. Gatekeeper could have lost a third of his votes and still taken 1st, or lost half his votes and still taken 2nd. I think the vast majority of the votes did come from people who genuinely wanted to see what it would be like for Heroes to add a CYL version of such an unusual character, and people seem to think they delivered plenty well on him.

I think the real takeaway here isn't insincere "meme" votes, but that there is genuine interest in novel/unconventional CYL winners, and that when the midterms show one specific novel candidate within striking range of victory, those people are effective at uniting to pool their later votes behind that character, to propel them ahead of the more scattered "conventional" voting blocs. And that could easily happen again! But that doesn't make it a meme.

Great insights! I think you're right; I bet that's exactly what happened!

On 1/4/2022 at 6:13 AM, Tybrosion said:

Do you legit not know Eirika's name or did you just refuse to acknowledge her by name? 

I'm not even going to bother addressing the rest of your post because I'm too distracted by that.

Yeah I am really not good at remembering character name, especially since I play in Chinese now. Like I can remember a unit image and all their weapon effect and skills A to C, but the name would come up blank the more I use them for gameplay instead of favoritism, and she was my Fedelgard Slayer in Astra season so...

I'm gonna vote for Nino the first days, to see if she gets to the Top 10 for the Women's side... and then after interim I'll move to either my favorite choice that has a chance to win (included Nino herself) or go for misc. votes.

Edited by Troykv

I'll be voting for the same characters I always vote for; show them some love, them being Stahl, Morgan Robin (female), Ashe, Elise, Nino, & stupid sexy Kaze

As for who I think will win, I feel like Chrom, Female Byleth, and Bernadetta will have this in the bag. 2nd Place male, however, has several good contenders: Byleth (although having 2 Byleths on the same banner would be a little weird), Felix, Yuri, Ashe, Dedue, and perennial favorites Robin and Seliph. It could be anyone.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

I kind of don't really care about CYL anymore. I'm thinking about voting for Awakening Anna the first few days and then maybe I might give a vote to Chrom, Felix, Hilda or Azura (unlikely since she just got an alt) if one of them has a good chance of winning this year.

Ullr was not added to the ballot as far as I can tell probably because IS themselves forgot they added her into FEH.

And also as I far as I can tell, the only additions to the ballot this time were FEH OCs (specifically Ash, Dagr, Eitri, Elm, Letizia, Muspell, Nifl, Nott, and Thorr).

Edited by Tybrosion

So it has begun, the yearly saltfest will start once the midterms arrive.

Anyways, I decided to go for random votes for the first half and then I'll support whoever I like best from the top 5 that appear during the midterms. 

1st RNG choice: Loki

Voted for Dorothy right away.

A bit disappointed there were no additions other than OCs. Not even Ullr...

47 minutes ago, Othin said:

Flame Emperor is now added to the "can't be voted for" list.

It's now clear what happened. If they removed them right away it could have spoiled things for new players. Doing it now, it's less clear why it happened.

Look I'm not saying that the true identity of the misterious FE is Marianne. But they were removed from voting after Marianne was removed. Pretty sus...

14 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

A bit disappointed there were no additions other than OCs. Not even Ullr...

What really, I was about to ask that?

I thought there might be more wildcards like how Kasatai got in the last one?

At least, Lekain, Levail and Shihiram are in, right?

I went Vika first, so I think I'll go Vika, Volug and Muarim back and forth.I'm going Vika, Volug, Muarim, Vika, Volug, Muarim and then I'll pick one of those three for the last one. Will they win? Probably not, but I'd love to see a beast win.

Edited by Dylan Corona

First vote going to my man Emperor Alvis. Someone mentioned TMS earlier and I think I might throw some votes that way. I don't particularly like the TMS characters, but I do find it frustratingly unfair that Touma and Yashiro have been shafted. And I'm curious to see what they'd do with the boss characters.