Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2022 at 2:06 AM, Midnox said:

This should be an interesting CYL this year, as I don’t see any remaining lords popular enough to be voted for other than Chrom. I’m split between Fjorm, Laegjarn, and Rhea

Female Corrin. If she makes it into the top 3 by midterms, I will join the Corrin Contingency and start voting for her. 

(I can’t believe CYL started already…I was worried I missed the first day.)

Otherwise I’m voting for Shura, as I did last year. One of the things that annoys me the most about Fates is that he, Izana, Reina and Scarlet only had supports with Kana and Corrin. He’s a fascinating character, and while I love the story scenes he is in, there was potential to do more with his character and the others I mentioned.

This year I’m adding in Rickard every other day. I’ve always wanted Rickard in Heroes because I want to see him get new art, new dialogue and a voice actor. When Julian was added, I wanted Rickard even more. Now that there is a precedent for adding very unpopular Archanea characters (400-rank and lower—Vyland and Sedgar were around the same rank as Rickard,) Rickard has a shot. It also helps that there is a very small pool of non-seasonal dagger units (like Julian, Rickard will probably be a dagger unit,) he has more personality than many of the minor Shadow Dragon characters and a major role in a DLC chapter in New Mystery.

I know its in vain but I'm kinda hoping that the lords won't win this time around. The Brave selection always gets more boring due to it being made up almost exclusively of lords who are very rarely the most interesting characters of their respective games. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I know its in vain but I'm kinda hoping that the lords won't win this time around. The Brave selection always was made more boring by it being made up almost exclusively of lords who are very rarely the most interesting characters of their respective games. 

I agree. The expectation for them to win kind of made the cycle self perpetuating. The year all three of the Three Houses lords won was particularly disappointing. I'm almost surprised Byleth didn't win too. Those characters already had or were guaranteed to have a tonne of alts. Which generally goes for most lords anyway.

9 hours ago, Othin said:

Flame Emperor is now added to the "can't be voted for" list.

Good riddance.

8 hours ago, Alexmender said:

So it has begun, the yearly saltfest will start once the midterms arrive.

1st RNG choice: Loki

Not really helping the salt thing with that choice...

Anyway, this came out of nowhere! Then again, I think the day CYL usually starts is a weekend this time, so I guess it makes sense. As said before, I voted for Nino today. I'll do Lyon tomorrow and Elena the day after if I can't recover my alt account. @Mercakete

voted for Rhea, but i'm lowkey hoping any random meme unit the fanbase comes up with, like idk abysskeeper, can get top 2
it's been 6 years since this CYL event thing's been happening, and i feel like i just don't care about who wins anymore

Edited by Yexin

First vote went to Alois, planning on giving him at least half my votes. The other half is gonna be either more Alois or one of Mist/Rolf/Altena. Then again, all three are already in the game in some form… idk I uninstalled FEH in Spring 2020 but I’m still really excited to see who wins CYL this time.

1 minute ago, Goddess Serra said:

First vote went to Alois, planning on giving him at least half my votes. The other half is gonna be either more Alois or one of Mist/Rolf/Altena. Then again, all three are already in the game in some form… idk I uninstalled FEH in Spring 2020 but I’m still really excited to see who wins CYL this time.

Nice! Alois deserves the best. I'll probably throw a vote to him myself. 

My first vote went to Medeus. Currently I plan for my following votes to be Anankos, Stefan, Jeritza, Ninian, Idunn, and Lilith. I considered voting for Julia and Lute, but Julia has four versions already and Lute just got a duo, so I'm satisfied with their treatment for now. I don't particularly care who wins so I doubt my plans will be changed by the midterm results.

16 minutes ago, Naoshi said:

I'm late by 12 hours, Do I still get to vote 7 times as a long I dont miss any day?

Yes. It doesn't matter what time in the day you vote, as long as you're within the 24 hour window.

5 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

Otherwise I’m voting for Shura, as I did last year. One of the things that annoys me the most about Fates is that he, Izana, Reina and Scarlet only had supports with Kana and Corrin. He’s a fascinating character, and while I love the story scenes he is in, there was potential to do more with his character and the others I mentioned.

I totally agree, but hey, at least he gets to be seen. Elena doesn't even get lines and I have more attachment to her, so all my votes are going to her. I really hope that someday I'll finally get to read what she has to say herself!

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I agree. The expectation for them to win kind of made the cycle self perpetuating. The year all three of the Three Houses lords won was particularly disappointing. I'm almost surprised Byleth didn't win too. Those characters already had or were guaranteed to have a tonne of alts. Which generally goes for most lords anyway.

I almost entirely agree with this. (Personally, I didn't mind the winners that year, but it would have been much nicer if the characters reflected characters close to them instead of just getting promotions, though.)

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Anyway, this came out of nowhere! Then again, I think the day CYL usually starts is a weekend this time, so I guess it makes sense. As said before, I voted for Nino today. I'll do Lyon tomorrow and Elena the day after if I can't recover my alt account. @Mercakete

Thank you. 🥺

But wow, yeah, this being up surprised me! As expected, my first vote has gone to Elena! I really hope she wins this year! (Unlikely, but not impossible if word gets out about her!)

12 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

What really, I was about to ask that?

I thought there might be more wildcards like how Kasatai got in the last one?

At least, Lekain, Levail and Shihiram are in, right?

Yeah all three are votable, don't worry. It is disappointing that we didn't even get the likes of Pamela as votable, who now that Dithorba is in kinda feels like a real possibility for a future unit.

10 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

NMffy8J.png

IS literally did this in April 2020.

They had no excuse for leaving Flame Emperor alone last year.

I'm sorry if I'm answering seriously to what could be a joke, but I will answer seriously anyway.

It would be a mistake to overestimate the importance of the English version of a Global game like FEH.

I know for sure that the German title for Legendary Edelgard was "Adrestian Emperor" or something similar. If other versions of the game (like the Japanese one, the most important one) were less blatant with the spoilers, then it make perfect sense to keep Flame Emperor around a while longer to prevent spoilers.

It's a case of "it really sucks to be an English speaking player" but there's zero reason to drag all the other versions of the game down because of an error of the english version.

17 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Yeah all three are votable, don't worry. It is disappointing that we didn't even get the likes of Pamela as votable, who now that Dithorba is in kinda feels like a real possibility for a future unit.

I'm sorry if I'm answering seriously to what could be a joke, but I will answer seriously anyway.

It would be a mistake to overestimate the importance of the English version of a Global game like FEH.

I know for sure that the German title for Legendary Edelgard was "Adrestian Emperor" or something similar. If other versions of the game (like the Japanese one, the most important one) were less blatant with the spoilers, then it make perfect sense to keep Flame Emperor around a while longer to prevent spoilers.

It's a case of "it really sucks to be an English speaking player" but there's zero reason to drag all the other versions of the game down because of an error of the english version.

In Japanese, Legendary Edelgard's title is "炎の女帝" (Empress of Fire) while Flame Emperor's name is "炎帝" (Fire Emperor). Slightly different, but still with a clear resemblance and using two shared characters.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

In Japanese, Legendary Edelgard's title is "炎の女帝" (Empress of Fire) while Flame Emperor's name is "炎帝" (Fire Emperor). Slightly different, but still with a clear resemblance and using two shared characters.

Still better than the English version where they are both called the exact same two words in the same order. But I guess we would have to call a Japanese player who didn't play Three Houses and ask them if they were able to connect the dots easily.

30 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

The wiki has all of them listed (machine translations for everything other than Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish):

Brave Edelgard's title:

• Japanese: 炎の女帝 (honoo no jotei), "Empress of Flame"
  • German: Kaiserin v. Adrestia, "Empress of Adrestia"
  • Spanish: Emperatriz ígnea, "Igneous Empress"
  • French: Emp. Flammes, "Flame Emperor"
  • Italian: Imp. Fiamma, "Flame Emperor" (indeterminate gender due to abbreviation)
  • Traditional Chinese: 炎之女帝 (yán zhī nǚdì), "Empress of Flame"
  • Portuguese: Imperatriz ígnea, "Fiery Empress"

Flame Emperor's name:

• Japanese: 炎帝 (entei), "Flame Emperor"
  • German: Flammenkaiser, "Flame Emperor"
  • Spanish: Emp. del Fuego, "Emperor of Fire"
  • Italian: Imp. Fiamma, "Flame Emperor"
  • Traditional Chinese: 炎帝 (yándì), "Flame Emperor"
  • Portuguese: Fogo Soberano, "Sovereign Fire"

They are identical in English, French, and Italian. German and Portuguese are completely different. Japanese, Spanish, and Chinese use different words.

As far as I can tell, only English and French specifically use the masculine "emperor" instead of the feminine "empress" for Edelgard. Italian is debatable, as the abbreviation is the same for both. Flame Emperor's name is presumed masculine for abbreviations, as I assume it's not abbreviated in the original game's script.

45 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Nothing about I what I said was a joke. You can’t call the English translation an “error” when you don’t know whether it was intentional or not.

But even without certain translations of FEH literally spelling it out, Edelgard being the Flame Emperor barely qualifies as a spoiler because of how much Edelgard has been talked about. At the very least, good luck finding a conversation about Edelgard’s character and/or motivations that doesn’t bring up the fact that she is unavoidably an antagonist in Three Houses (which will lead to the fact that she is the Flame Emperor).

29 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Edelgard is Entei???

(The Pokemon's name is written in katakana, but still.)

I've actually decided to do something a little different this time around. Go ahead and vote for Female Robin, Ashe, and Nino (who all placed top 20 in their respective genders) now before the midterm to contribute to boosting their chances of placing higher in the midterm rankings and bolstering support for them.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Edelgard is Entei???

(The Pokemon's name is written in katakana, but still.)

That is, in fact, the etymology of Entei's name, though.

The other two come from 雷公 (raikō), "Thunder Duke", and 水君 (suikun), "Water Lord".

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The wiki has all of them listed (machine translations for everything other than Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish):

Brave Edelgard's title:

• Japanese: 炎の女帝 (honoo no jotei), "Empress of Flame"
  • German: Kaiserin v. Adrestia, "Empress of Adrestia"
  • Spanish: Emperatriz ígnea, "Igneous Empress"
  • Italian: Imp. Fiamma, "Flame Emperor" (indeterminate gender due to abbreviation)
  • Traditional Chinese: 炎之女帝 (yán zhī nǚdì), "Empress of Flame"
  • Portuguese: Imperatriz ígnea, "Fiery Empress"

Flame Emperor's name:

• German: Flammenkaiser, "Flame Emperor"
  • Spanish: Emp. del Fuego, "Emperor of Fire"
  • Italian: Imp. Fiamma, "Flame Emperor"
  • Traditional Chinese: 炎帝 (yándì), "Flame Emperor"
  • Portuguese: Fogo Soberano, "Sovereign Fire"

They are identical in English, French, and Italian. German and Portuguese are completely different. Japanese, Spanish, and Chinese use different words.

As far as I can tell, only English and French specifically use the masculine "emperor" instead of the feminine "empress" for Edelgard. Italian is debatable, as the abbreviation is the same for both. Flame Emperor's name is presumed masculine for abbreviations, as I assume it's not abbreviated in the original game's script.

Thanks Ice Dragon, you always deliver when it comes to translation and adapation. As far as I can tell the English, French and Italian versions are completely obvious, a foolproof way to spoil the reveal, for the other versions I could easily see someone not connecting the dots.

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Nothing about I what I said was a joke. You can’t call the English translation an “error” when you don’t know whether it was intentional or not.

But even without certain translations of FEH literally spelling it out, Edelgard being the Flame Emperor barely qualifies as a spoiler because of how much Edelgard has been talked about. At the very least, good luck finding a conversation about Edelgard’s character and/or motivations that doesn’t bring up the fact that she is unavoidably an antagonist in Three Houses (which will lead to the fact that she is the Flame Emperor).

According to the bolded part we might as well don't care about preventing possible spoilers at all, which is something I don't agree with.

Of course if you are looking up discussions about a character they are going to spoil things for you, but the point is that someone might not be looking up discussions and get spoiled in a completely different way, such as simply reading the title of a unit they pull in a Gacha Game. Those kind of spoilers I would very much like to avoid.

A case I really love is the party member Seven from Xenoblade Chronicles. Simply googling the name of that character would spoil everything for you in a few seconds, but the lengths the community went to try and hide the spoiler as much as possible are admirable.

Anyway, what's important is that they are no longer votable. Whether they forgot to remove them last time or intentionally waited a year matters little.

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Thank you. 🥺

But wow, yeah, this being up surprised me! As expected, my first vote has gone to Elena! I really hope she wins this year! (Unlikely, but not impossible if word gets out about her!)

😃

And fingers crossed for Elena to get some recognition!

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

According to the bolded part we might as well don't care about preventing possible spoilers at all, which is something I don't agree with.

Honestly, it's kind of hard to care about preventing spoilers or treat it as a big deal when IS themselves don't seem to care about preventing them in this game. Otherwise, we wouldn't get stuff like Zelgius in the Black Knight armor or like half of the Fallen Heroes (with Takumi, Berkut, Lyon and Edelgard being among the worst offenders since all four are endgame spoilers).