Choose Your Legends Round 6 Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Honestly I can't see how quietly removing the Flame Emperor from the voting pool the year after Edelgard won as really being that spoilerish. If someone was so intensely into CYL that they would notice the absence of one character in the 800 or so size of the CYL roster, then they likely already know about Three Houses plot and Edelgard's role in it. The absence of a character is not something that people will notice.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologize cuz I do not know how to link a tweet to work. FEH twitter tweeted 1st day of top 8 female and male with the most vote

Spoiler

Another 4 below the tweet are: Dorothea, Female Robin, Awakening Tiki, and 3H Hilda

Honestly I really want Azura and Corrin to win together or Adult Tiki but 3H fans are strong and many

For the male Division

Spoiler

Male Byleth

Chrom

Male Robin

Felix 3H

Yuri 3H

Soren

Seliph

Sigurd

Edited by MagicCanonBalls
Copy the link right this time

14 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Not really helping the salt thing with that choice...

Blame Anna the RNG gods, it was their choice not mine. 

Anyways, today RNG chose Elena. She's Ike's dead mom, right? Can't remember

It's also worth noting that this year IS will tweet the daily top 8 in alphabetical order. I'd be funny if Azura got a lot of votes because some people miss the part where they say the list isn't in order of most to least voted.

13 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

There’s a male top 8 too. It is (in alphabetical order, and not number of votes) Byleth, Chrom, Felix, Robin, Seliph, Sigurd, Soren and Yuri.

Yeah I saw it after I refresh the twitter page.

As usual Female side is nothing surprising (I have fav but am ok with whoever win this)

As for male side though, if Chrom gets 3rd place again it's gonna be a bummer, since he is going against three 3H male. And the other 3 that I actively don't want to see winning (Soren, Seliph and Sigurd), might just catch up.

17 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I'd be funny if Azura got a lot of votes because some people miss the part where they say the list isn't in order of most to least voted.

There's definitely people in the Twitter replies that glossed over the "in alphabetical order" part, so this might actually be the beginning of Find and Vote 2: Electric Boogaloo (now with Azura instead of Lyn).

I can't say I'd be upset with Azura winning if that actually happens. The fact she's even in the top 8 at all (even if she's probably 8th or 7th) is surprising because of the whole "literally just got a busted alt" thing.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

There's definitely people in the Twitter replies that glossed over the "in alphabetical order" part, so this might actually be the beginning of Find and Vote 2: Electric Boogaloo (now with Azura instead of Lyn).

I can't say I'd be upset with Azura winning if that actually happens. The fact she's even in the top 8 at all (even if she's probably 8th or 7th) is surprising because of the whole "literally just got a busted alt" thing.

Yeah, I expect that to be a common misunderstanding as well.

I put my second vote towards Lara, although these standings kind of make me want to move my future votes to Sigurd or Seliph to see if they might finally have a shot.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, Alexmender said:

It's also worth noting that this year IS will tweet the daily top 8 in alphabetical order.

Every day? I have my doubts. Anyway, nice to see the Robins doing well as always. I like to think I helped. Voted for Ashe today, give him some love. Then, Nino -> Elise -> Stahl -> Kaze -> Morgan (male)

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

53 minutes ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

Yeah I saw it after I refresh the twitter page.

As usual Female side is nothing surprising (I have fav but am ok with whoever win this)

As for male side though, if Chrom gets 3rd place again it's gonna be a bummer, since he is going against three 3H male. And the other 3 that I actively don't want to see winning (Soren, Seliph and Sigurd), might just catch up.

This might actually work in his favor though...Three houses now has 3 characters that the TH fans will divide over, before it was Felix and M Byleth

And some Seliph voters might actually flock over to Sigurd, 

Edited by SurvivorSecondChance

Huh, very interesting that they'd release the Top 8 for both sides already. I wonder how much this will change things. A lot of people seem to be missing the "listed in alphabetical order" part.

For me, personally, still just...voting for Brom. Alternating between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I just want to see him hopefully get enough votes to get into the game on a future Tellius and/or seasonal banner.

I have my characters I want to see win, but this year it's actually kinda more about hoping certain characters don't win for me. I won't say who they are, though. I will continue to vote for Anna (Awakening) regardless.

This is going to make things a little interesting. While they already said they'll give us Midterm results, doing this daily update format is going to make a lot of the rallying behind characters happen much earlier as I'm sure fans of those characters are reading those results, seeing their favorites that high, and start swapping over to push them over the top. In particular I can see A!Tiki fans making a push as her lacking an alt after nearly five years is a sore point for them and seeing she's potentially in spitting distance of getting a Brave alt is bound to get a fire lit under them. Other characters I can see benefitting in a similar way would be Soren, Sigurd/Seliph (can't see both as they have overlap), and Hilda. 

That said, I'm sure fans of characters like F!Byleth and Chrom are going to see these results and fear them getting dethroned from their high spots, so there's probably going to be a rallying from their groups to keep them afloat and not risk getting overrun. I can also see the same happening for Azura and M!Byleth due to people misreading the Twitter post and assuming they're on top.

Edited by Medeus

I'm not surprised by the top voted characters that the FEH twitter revealed. I guess there's a big push for Adult Tiki and Soren. I wonder how the votes will look this time around, since people know the top 8 characters to vote for now rather than on the fourth day. There probably won't be any random upset since the interim comes out on the fifth day even.

The Sigurd and Seliph thing is kind of funny, Sigurd is suppose to be more popular, but Seliph gets a lot of pity votes.

For reference, these were the top 15 males / females in CYL5 (after the actual winners):

1. Chrom / Byleth
2. Byleth / Bernadetta
3. Felix / Corrin
4. Yuri / Hilda
5. Robin / Robin
6. Dedue / Henriette
7. Ashe / Azura
8. Seliph / Tharja
9. Soren / Dorothea
10. Sylvain / Rhea
11. Itsuki & Chrom / Plumeria
12. Alfonse / Lute
13. Sigurd / A!Tiki
14. Linhardt / Constance
15. Takumi / Nino

So, most of the names featured in Day 1 Top 8s were already top contenders. Meanwhile, certain characters (namely Henriette, Dedue and Ashe) have fallen out of favor now that their crutch of not being in FEH is gone now.

Posting the Top 8 every day... I see IntSys has chosen violence this year.

And yet I don't think this will skew the results away from what I'm expecting: Chrom, Bernadetta, and both Byleths. So the most boring choices possible, aside from maybe Bernie. I'll bet we've still got a year or two before we get any dark horses winning aside from Gatekeeper.

Edited by Some Jerk

2 hours ago, SurvivorSecondChance said:

This might actually work in his favor though...Three houses now has 3 characters that the TH fans will divide over, before it was Felix and M Byleth

And some Seliph voters might actually flock over to Sigurd, 

and Awakening fans has long split their votes between two robins and Chrom, and I guess Adult Tiki now too as she is in Top 8. The fanbase started out as massive and divisive, but now it's just divisive. 

The only characters I actually want to see get a Brave alt who have a reasonable shot at it are Reinhardt, Takumi, Sigurd, and Seliph. Everyone else is too far down. So I'm just going to vote to get Tormod into the game, plus obligatory Reinhardt vote.

If this year is another ≥50% 3H stomp, I'm gonna be really bored. The game and its characters aren't THAT great.

Oh, they're doing it this way? it's certainly going to get them more engagement, but I don't want to imagine what the FE side of twitter looks like right now.

Glad to see Azura, Dorothea, F!Robin, A!Tiki and Soren placing, though, I hope it continues! but this means I'm tempted to stray from my planned votes of 6 Tellius and one Dorothea, hmmm...

so, day-by-day updates with top 8 male and female characters, listed in alphabetical order...

tbh i wasn't expecting to see Rhea getting top 2, but i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't have liked to see her at least in top 8
i might stop voting for her in favor of either Sigurd or Soren

either way, i'm 95% sure i'll be disappointed with anyone who gets top 2

Okay, so I'm counting the number of characters from CYL in Heroes as an amendment to my playable characters list. And here are some weird things I've noticed. Some of these are old observations of localized names.

*Old observation that continues to confuse me, they have the Gaiden and Old Mystery box art for Shadows of Valentia and New Mystery, yet the NES box art for Shadow Dragon is missing even though the title says "Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Shadow Dragon". That's just really weird to me. Of the three games with remakes this is the only one where the original has a localisation! Though it's been like this even before the official translation. This isn't something they do in the Japanese version of the site.

*Jiol isn't in Shadow Dragon. I'm a little disappointed by that. Sure he's not the most popular or important character, but he's still a major enemy you fight in the game and a relation of a playable character. Compare and contrast how many random bosses from Shadows of Valentia they put in. Minor bosses from Shadow Dragon are conspicously missing over all. I'm surprised they haven't put in the Manakete bosses yet given the dearth of breath units available from the canon pool.

*The Cipher characters aren't in Shadows of Valentia.

*Camus is in New Mystery for some reason even though he doesn't appear in that game under that name. Because of Book 1 maybe? It also doesn't say his votes will be tallied with Zeke or Sirius.

*I think Gharnef is using his Shadow Drgaon portrait. Because isn't his portrait kind of purply and ghost like in New Mystery?

*Yubello's localized name is Jubelo while Yumina is Yuliya. Putting aside the utterly bizarre spelling of Julia, surely there was some twin theming going on by calling them both Yu that's now been lost by the localization.

*They have Arvis (Early Story)/Arvis (Late Story) and Oifey (Early Story)/Oifey (Late Story), but they just straight up have Finn twice in the Genealogy section under the same name. The offical explanation of tallied votes mentions that Arvis and Oifey's votes will be tallied together but neglects to mention Finn, though if you're voting for him it does say his vote will be tallied with Finn (Genealogy of the Holy War) and Finn (Thracia 776). Though if you vote for him in Thracia it just says it will be tallied with Finn (Genealogy of the Holy War).

*I can see why they split Three Houses into Part 1 and Part 2, but I feel they could have done that for Genealogy too. The reason is to find out which designs are more popular and that doesn't really apply as much to Genealogy, but it still sort of feels like it should be as the split in generations is more stark in Genealogy.

*Brigid's votes are not counted with Eyvel's (which I support, they've very different characters and should never have been made the same person to begin with).

*I thought it was Luchar and Lucharba localized, but those are Is and not Ls...usually I notice that mistake where others don't, but this one slipped by me because how in the hell are you meant to pronounce those two names? I have checked, and there are no real words in English that begin with iu. The closest is an archaic form of the word Justice.

*Not a new observation, but it continues to bug me. Dithorba is on the list while Lewyn's uncles aren't, despite them having a more interesting class and being more plot relevant. But what's even more mystifying is that Pamela isn't, despite Pamela having more focus in the story, being the one who kills Annand. 100 years from now on my dead bed Dithorba's inclusion in this game will continue to baffle me. Not only were there better options in the same chapter of the same game, there were better options in the same archtype in the same chapter of the same game!

*Julius, Ishtar and Manfroy aren't in the Thracia section. Which is fair, I guess, but idk, Julius still feels like he has presence in Thracia even though Leif never encounters him.

*Whom we called Barth, the armoured knight guy, has the real name of Barthe. That E doesn't look like it'd make much of a difference, but he's alphabetically placed right beside Bartre which makes them look like they have almost identical names as it's only a single character difference. Great job there guys. Was just calling him Bart really off the table?

*Hector and Eliwood aren't on the Binding Blade list, which I find a bit surprising. Were they on the list in the first CYL and are removed now because of the previous winner thing? None of the other Elibe characters have their votes shared though, so it seems reasonable old Hector and Eliwood could still be there. Though I guess if they won again it would be a bit grating even though I want Bearded Hector in the game (totally should have been what Valentine's Hector was). EDIT Looking at the home page it does indeed mention Hector (Binding Blade) and Eliwood (Binding Blade) as characters you cannot vote for.

*Devdan and Dandev's votes are not listed as being tallied together XD

*Renning's votes are not tallied with Betram's. Likewise Zelgius's votes are only tallied between the two game appearances and not with Black Knight votes.

*Oliver isn't in Path of Radiance, even though he plays a bigger part in that game than in Radiant Dawn. He's even playable as a trial map character in Path of Radiance. Definitely has as much presence as Shiharam, so it's kind of strange he's missing. At least people can still vote for him in Radiant Dawn.

*Altina is on the list despite her only portrait coming from Heroes. Has someone noted earlier in the thread, this is not the case for Ullr.

*Anna is in Radiant Dawn, which is really weird since she only appears in Tutorials there. She's also in Archanea where she only appears in shops, but not in Jugdral or Elibe despite having about the same level of presence in those games as Archanea and Radiant Dawn. She isn't even in Path of Radiance!?

*No short hair Lucia...I guess I wasn't expecting it, but since they gave us two Finns it would be kind of nice.

*In Heroes itself Naga is considered an Awakening and an Archanea character, yet she's only available for voting in Awakening, most likely because there is no portrait for Naga in Archanea. Her votes are also not tallied with Nagi. Nor is Awakening Tiki tallied with Archanea Tiki or her TMS appearance. That's actually a really interesting situation with a character who might actually stand a chance of winning if people rallied behind her.

*Heroes is placed between Fates and Three Houses in the listing while TMS. Bit of bias there but Heroes is kind of calling itself a main series title and TMS not.

*They have Byleth down four times in the Academy arc. One for each hair colour and gender. I know you get Enlightened One before the end of White Clouds, but I think I'd rather the Enlightened One Byleth's were just placed in the War Arc with no extra title.

*Duke Aegir is placed in the war arc and not the academy arc, which is a bit strange, as he has only two appearances in the game (that I can recall), one in each arc. His academy arc is way more plot relevant, the one where he appears alongside Ionis who is categorized in the Academy Arc. His War Arc appearance is just a very brief appearance before Ferdinand's paralogue, as far as I can recall. Really feels like he should be an Academy Arc character. There are also some characters that feel like they should be war arc. Like does Ladislava even appear in the academy arc? She probably does at the last chapter, but those kind of generals make more of an impression in the war arc to me at least.

Here is a link to my counting of all the CYL characters that have been put in the game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15xCEE3dd2wjXVgzQS6mMWGya_M_tYRYMR5bcMC3qA5Q/edit?usp=sharing

It took me all morning to add the non playable characters to my list of playable characters one. I'd appreciate it if some people with fresh eyes could take a scan at it to see if I made any mistakes or missed characters.

Edited by Jotari

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Okay, so I'm counting the number of characters from CYL in Heroes as an amendment to my playable characters list. And here are some weird things I've noticed. Some of these are old observations of localized names.

*Old observation that continues to confuse me, they have the Gaiden and Old Mystery box art for Shadows of Valentia and New Mystery, yet the NES box art for Shadow Dragon is missing even though the title says "Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Shadow Dragon". That's just really weird to me.

*Jiol isn't in Shadow Dragon. I'm a little disappointed by that. Sure he's not the most popular or important character, but he's still a major enemy you fight in the game and a relation of a playable character. Compare and contrast how many random bosses from Shadows of Valentia they put in. Minor bosses from Shadow Dragon are conspicously missing over all. I'm surprised they haven't put in the Manakete bosses yet given the dearth of breath units available from the canon pool.

*The Cipher characters aren't in Shadows of Valentia.

*Camus is in New Mystery for some reason even though he doesn't appear in that game under that name. Because of Book 1 maybe? It also doesn't say his votes will be tallied with Zeke or Sirius.

*I think Gharnef is using his Shadow Drgaon portrait. Because isn't his portrait kind of purply and ghost like in New Mystery?

*Yubello's localized name is Jubelo while Yumina is Yuliya. Putting aside the utterly bizarre spelling of Julia, surely there was some twin theming going on by calling them both Yu that's now been lost by the localization.

*They have Arvis (Early Story)/Arvis (Late Story) and Oifey (Early Story)/Oifey (Late Story), but they just straight up have Finn twice in the Genealogy section.

*Brigid's votes are not counted with Eyvel's (which I support, they've very different characters and should never have been made the same person to begin with).

*I thought it was Luchar and Lucharba localized, but those are Is and not Ls...usually I notice that mistake where others don't, but this one slipped by me because how in the hell are you meant to pronounce those two names? I have checked, and there are no real words in English that begin with iu. The closest is an archaic form of the word Justice.

*Not a new observation, but it continues to bug me. Dithorba is on the list while Lewyn's uncles aren't, despite them having a more interesting class and being more plot relevant. But what's even more mystifying is that Pamela isn't, despite Pamela having more focus in the story, being the one who kills Annand. 100 years from now on my dead bed Dithorba's inclusion in this game will continue to baffle me. Not only were there better options in the same chapter of the same game, there were better options in the same archtype in the same chapter of the same game!

*Julius, Ishtar and Manfroy aren't in the Thracia section. Which is fair, I guess, but idk, Julius still feels like he has presence in Thracia even though Leif never encounters him.

*Whom we called Barth, the armoured knight guy, has the real name of Barthe. That E doesn't look like it'd make much of a difference, but he's alphabetically placed right beside Bartre which makes them look like they have almost identical names as it's only a single character difference. Great job there guys. Was just calling him Bart really off the table?

*Hector and Eliwood aren't on the Binding Blade list, which I find a bit surprising. Were they on the list in the first CYL and are removed now because of the previous winner thing? None of the other Elibe characters have their votes shared though, so it seems reasonable old Hector and Eliwood could still be there. Though I guess if they won again it would be a bit grating even though I want Bearded Hector in the game (totally should have been what Valentine's Hector was). EDIT Looking at the home page it does indeed mention Hector (Binding Blade) and Eliwood (Binding Blade) as characters you cannot vote for.

*Devdan and Dandev's votes are not listed as being tallied together XD

*Renning's votes are not tallied with Betram's. Likewise Zelgius's votes are only tallied between the two game appearances and not with Black Knight votes.

*Oliver isn't in Path of Radiance, even though he plays a bigger part in that game than in Radiant Dawn. He's even playable as a trial map character in Path of Radiance. Definitely has as much presence as Shiharam, so it's kind of strange he's missing. At least people can still vote for him in Radiant Dawn.

*Altina is on the list despite her only portrait coming from Heroes. Has someone noted earlier in the thread, this is not the case for Ullr.

*Anna is in Radiant Dawn, which is really weird since she only appears in Tutorials there. She's also in Archanea where she only appears in shops, but not in Jugdral or Elibe despite having about the same level of presence in those games as Archanea and Radiant Dawn. She isn't even in Path of Radiance!?

*No short hair Lucia...I guess I wasn't expecting it, but since they gave us two Finns it would be kind of nice.

*In Heroes itself Naga is considered an Awakening and an Archanea character, yet she's only available for voting in Awakening, most likely because there is no portrait for Naga in Archanea. Her votes are also not tallied with Nagi. Nor is Awakening Tiki tallied with Archanea Tiki or her TMS appearance. That's actually a really interesting situation with a character who might actually stand a chance of winning if people rallied behind her.

*Heroes is placed between Fates and Three Houses in the listing while TMS. Bit of bias there but Heroes is kind of calling itself a main series title and TMS not.

*They have Byleth down four times in the Academy arc. One for each hair colour and gender. I know you get Enlightened One before the end of White Clouds, but I think I'd rather the Enlightened One Byleth's were just placed in the War Arc with no extra title.

*Duke Aegir is placed in the war arc and not the academy arc, which is a bit strange, as he has only two appearances in the game (that I can recall), one in each arc. His academy arc is way more plot relevant, the one where he appears alongside Ionis who is categorized in the Academy Arc. His War Arc appearance is just a very brief appearance before Ferdinand's paralogue, as far as I can recall. Really feels like he should be an Academy Arc character. There are also some characters that feel like they should be war arc. Like does Ladislava even appear in the academy arc? She probably does at the last chapter, but those kind of generals make more of an impression in the war arc to me at least.

I don't think the policy is for winner exclusions to be limited to vote-sharing. Hector and Eliwood wouldn't have had their votes shared even if they ever made it to the polls that did vote-sharing. Same with Lucina and Edelgard's masked versions.

I imagine characters like Tiki and Robin would work the same way, kicking off all their other versions if one of them won.

16 minutes ago, Othin said:

I don't think the policy is for winner exclusions to be limited to vote-sharing. Hector and Eliwood wouldn't have had their votes shared even if they ever made it to the polls that did vote-sharing. Same with Lucina and Edelgard's masked versions.

I imagine characters like Tiki and Robin would work the same way, kicking off all their other versions if one of them won.

It's just sort of weird to not treat them as the same character when competing, but then treating them as the same character if they win.

Also another weird thing to note, the official explanation for vote tallying says votes will not be tallied if "the same character's personality changes drastically, and they are like an entirely different character". Which seems like its tailor made to split Hardin's votes, yet he's still counted as sharing votes between his two appearances. Who could that even apply to other than Hardin that doesn't fall into the "goes by a different name" and "large number of years" pass stipulations?

Edited by Jotari